PDA

View Full Version : Great names...

Okla-homey
4/17/2010, 05:12 PM
I was at the "Ghey Wal-Marts" today (Target), and was checked out by a girl named "Aurora." I think that is a very classic and beautiful name.

Last night, our waitress at a messican joint was named "Claudia." Classy and pretty name too IMHO.

For the record, I am happy to know that some parents have kept it classy.

IMHO, we have far too many Brittany/Britney/Brittnie's in this old world. Ditto Tiffany, Amber, Brandy.

Let's hear it for the great names: Elizabeth, Victoria, Monica, Marie, Margaret, Beverly, Elaine, Christine, Ellen, Virginia, Jennifer, Samantha, Sarah, Ruth, Judith, Hyacinth, Rose, Lillian, etc.

And don't get me started on Shaniqua and Mo'Nique.

olevetonahill
4/17/2010, 05:33 PM
I agree , we need mo Linda's
As in Linda Lovelace :hot: :D

SicEmBaylor
4/17/2010, 05:39 PM
All those are great names.

But what is the GREATEST name? Froston.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/17/2010, 05:40 PM
I was at the "Ghey Wal-Marts" today (Target), and was checked out by a girl named "Aurora." I think that is a very classic and beautiful name.

Last night, our waitress at a messican joint was named "Claudia." Classy and pretty name too IMHO.

IMHO, we have far too many Brittany/Britney/Brittnie's in this old world. Ditto Tiffany, Amber, Brandy.

Let's hear it for the great names: Elizabeth, Victoria, Monica, Marie, Margaret, Beverly, Elaine, Christine, Ellen, Virginia, Jennifer, Samantha, Sarah, Ruth, Judith, Hyacinth, Rose, Lillian, etc.

I'm not able to generalize the concept of "great names" based on your list of examples and nonexamples.

C&CDean
4/17/2010, 05:52 PM
I'm not able to generalize the concept of "great names" based on your list of examples and nonexamples.

Great names for you: Puto. Pendejo. Dickhead. Buttbreath. Penisbreath. Sphincterface. Culo. Wetback. Etc.

Classic names: Dawn. Delayne. Lisa. Keith. Dean.

delhalew
4/17/2010, 05:52 PM
Heh, I dated a Hispanic girl named Ruth one time. I was thinking, how are you not 90 years old with name. It's a fine name, but it's rare these days.

SicEmBaylor
4/17/2010, 05:53 PM
Heh, I dated a Hispanic girl named Ruth one time. I was thinking, how are you not 90 years old with name. It's a fine name, but it's rare these days.

I went to HS with a Ruth.

C&CDean
4/17/2010, 05:54 PM
I have granddaughters named: Kalysta June, Chandler Marie, and Graecyn Rain. My sons are on drugs.

C&CDean
4/17/2010, 05:55 PM
My mother's middle name is Ruth.

Okla-homey
4/17/2010, 06:00 PM
My mother's middle name is Ruth.

My now deceased m-i-l was named Ophelia. Her mom dug Shakespeare. srsly.

SunnySooner
4/17/2010, 06:31 PM
No one tells you how hard it is to name a kid. Seriously, that's something they drag around the rest of their everlovin life!!! And not only that, 2 people have to agree on the name!!! I feel sorry for peeps with weird spellings. They spell their name a million times a day for their entire lives. There's really just no need to do that to a kid. If you like a name, fine, use the common spelling, save everyone a lot of time and trouble.

olevetonahill
4/17/2010, 06:39 PM
Ditto Sunny
My ex DIL named her kids Normal Names But with weird assed spellings :eek:

Oh and fer what its worth I called My Momma Gertrude
Wernt her Name I just called her that:)

GKeeper316
4/17/2010, 06:40 PM
my sister wants to name her first son Rayden... ya Rayden. from mortal kombat.

why do parents just come up with these random syllable names that have no meaning at all?

SicEmBaylor
4/17/2010, 06:40 PM
My father named me (Froston) while my mother named my sister (D'Evereux).

My dad came up with mine out of the blue I guess, but my sister is named after my mother's favorite plantation...D'Evereux in Natchez, MS.

If I had a daughter my first choice for a first name would be Reagan. For a son, Stonewall.

GKeeper316
4/17/2010, 06:42 PM
im named after my father, who is named after the commander of God's armies in heaven.

olevetonahill
4/17/2010, 06:44 PM
Froston IE Sicem at the last Ho-Down:D :D :D :D :D

http://www.sofunnypictures.com/albums/userpics/normal_13Xmas-Hot-Tub-Frosty-funny-graphic.jpg

delhalew
4/17/2010, 09:46 PM
No one tells you how hard it is to name a kid. Seriously, that's something they drag around the rest of their everlovin life!!! And not only that, 2 people have to agree on the name!!! I feel sorry for peeps with weird spellings. They spell their name a million times a day for their entire lives. There's really just no need to do that to a kid. If you like a name, fine, use the common spelling, save everyone a lot of time and trouble.

I'm afraid I pulled a mind**** on my son. I used the old celtic spelling Kael. Left to my own devices both my kids could have names that haven't been spoken aloud in centuries.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/18/2010, 01:39 PM
I didn't name my daughter.

Made a deal with her mama that if it was a boy, she'd let me name him. If it was a girl, she'd name it. And God bless her heart and soul, she saw a name and a definition in one of the baby books and found the name of our beautiful daughter. According to that baby book, the name 'Abigail' means "Father's Joy". And in homage to her own father, gave her his middle name.

And to this day just the thought of my beautiful Abigail Lindsay, the pure joy of her very existence, and the reminder of that gift of a name and a child literally brings a tear to my eye.

GKeeper316
4/18/2010, 02:13 PM
i always liked daphne... the world needs more daphnes imo.

Picaninny
4/18/2010, 02:23 PM
Dated a Mary Ruth and an Alice. Married a Kathleen. Named a daughter Shannon.

TUSooner
4/18/2010, 04:33 PM
All those are great names.

But what is the GREATEST name? Froston.

That's an adjective, no?
:(

I like Helen, Laura, Alice, too.

TUSooner
4/18/2010, 04:34 PM
I have granddaughters named: Kalysta June, Chandler Marie, and Graecyn Rain. My sons are on drugs.

That made me laugh; or maybe I chortled.

soonerinabilene
4/18/2010, 05:20 PM
My daughters middle name is Pearl after my Great-grandmother.

tommieharris91
4/18/2010, 05:40 PM
My sister's name is Elizabeth. I'd personally like to give my kids normal names, because my last name is a 6-letter alphabetical mess.

Frozen Sooner
4/18/2010, 05:51 PM
Harris doesn't seem like THAT big a mess.

tommieharris91
4/18/2010, 05:54 PM
Harris doesn't seem like THAT big a mess.

When you been hit in the head a lot, it is. ;)

My Opinion Matters
4/18/2010, 06:47 PM

:confused:

SicEmBaylor
4/18/2010, 07:02 PM
:confused:

You must not be a fan of Keeping Up Appearances.

Jacie
4/18/2010, 07:55 PM
I'm afraid I pulled a mind**** on my son. I used the old celtic spelling Kael. Left to my own devices both my kids could have names that haven't been spoken aloud in centuries.

Shoulda spelled it Kal-El and middle name Clark . . .

GottaHavePride
4/18/2010, 10:53 PM
There used to be a waitress at the Library named Edith.

Yes, SMOKIN' hot.

GKeeper316
4/18/2010, 11:01 PM
There used to be a waitress at the Library named Edith.

Yes, SMOKIN' hot.

no dude... you were drunk. it was Yvette and she was a stripper at night trips :P

GottaHavePride
4/18/2010, 11:10 PM
no dude... you were drunk. it was Yvette and she was a stripper at night trips :P

Heh. So we're sitting there and my three buddies kept arguing over how old they thought she was, so I said "I bet I can find out." They said "psssh, right. Let's see this."

So, next time she comes by the table I say "Can you help us settle an argument? These three are trying to figure out how old you are."

Heh. They all had Stunned Aggie looks on their faces that I went for the cheap shot.

For the record, I was right. She was 24.

yermom
4/18/2010, 11:11 PM
Library waitresses are typically pretty hawt

and Aurora? that sounds like a hippie name to me

SicEmBaylor
4/18/2010, 11:59 PM
Library waitresses are typically pretty hawt

and Aurora? that sounds like a hippie name to me

Bingo.

That's almost as bad as Meadow or Willow.

I met a Willow once. She had red hair, one of those long flappy dresses, had a flower ring thing in her hair, and was decked out in Celtic jewelry. She was a walking caricature of a girl named Willow.

SicEmBaylor
4/19/2010, 12:00 AM
That's an adjective, no?
:(

I like Helen, Laura, Alice, too.

It's a proper noun meaning, "Totally f'ing awesome."

47straight
4/19/2010, 12:03 AM
my sister wants to name her first son Rayden... ya Rayden. from mortal kombat.

why do parents just come up with these random syllable names that have no meaning at all?

Preach preacher!

sooner59
4/19/2010, 01:26 AM
If I have a son, I'm thinkin about naming him "Horse Richard". However, Richard is a little formal.....there has to be a shorter name for Richard. Hmm.....thinking....:D

MrJimBeam
4/19/2010, 05:25 AM
I had a great aunt named Velma Tennessee Mench and she was married to William Ace Whittaker. I miss both of them and I miss those names.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/19/2010, 07:57 AM
Rip Steakface

Crucifax Autumn
4/19/2010, 08:47 AM
I met a Willow once. She had red hair, one of those long flappy dresses, had a flower ring thing in her hair, and was decked out in Celtic jewelry. She was a walking caricature of a girl named Willow.

I woulda been TOTALLY trying to score. :D

TUSooner
4/19/2010, 08:51 AM
Several generations back, I had female ancestors named Tennessee and Missouri. I think there were a few more odd names; I need to look them up again.

SteelClip49
4/19/2010, 09:10 AM
Tiger Woods' kids have normal names....kudos to him for being smart there.

Boy/Girl names that I like.....Victor, Victoria, Alexandria, Clifford, Grover, Vincent, Rocco, Pietro, Tiffany, Melina, Charlotte, Miranda, Mariah, Francis, Matthew, Gabriel, Raphael, Michael, Janessa, Elizabeth, Carol, Samantha, Vladimir, Vittorio, Phillip, Frederick, Arthur, Mary, Marie, Anna, Kelly, Lauren, Andrew, William, Francisco, Cameron, Teresa, Caroline....to name a few.

BudSooner
4/19/2010, 09:25 AM
Rip Steakface:D

Craven Morehead. :D:D

sooner59
4/19/2010, 09:29 AM
Lance Uppercut

GottaHavePride
4/19/2010, 09:43 AM
Tiger Woods' kids have normal names....kudos to him for being smart there.

Boy/Girl names that I like.....Victor, Victoria

Julie Andrews fan?

;)

SoonerAtKU
4/19/2010, 10:09 AM
My now deceased m-i-l was named Ophelia. Her mom dug Shakespeare. srsly.

My daughter's name is Ophelia June. In my family we have/had a Ulysses, an Opal, a Pennix, a Hobert, a Logan, and two Altons.

That's just the most recent 3 or 4 generations, too.

SoonerAtKU
4/19/2010, 10:10 AM
On a related note, you have no idea how hard it is to think of names that sound good with the last name "Thrash". Really tough last name to live up to.

JohnnyMack
4/19/2010, 10:14 AM
Hands down the best site for names evar:

http://nameoftheyear.blogspot.com/

sooner59
4/19/2010, 10:15 AM
On a related note, you have no idea how hard it is to think of names that sound good with the last name "Thrash". Really tough last name to live up to.

I only know of two people with the last name Thrash. One is James Thrash who I guess still plays WR in the NFL. He is from Wewoka, OK. He could be retired, not sure. The other was a guy who was probably the most talented high school football player I have ever seen 3A and under. His name was Brian Thrash. But halfway through HS, he moved to a Class C school and played 8-man and then fell off the face of the Earth.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/19/2010, 10:21 AM
Gristle McThornbody

SoonerAtKU
4/19/2010, 10:24 AM
I only know of two people with the last name Thrash. One is James Thrash who I guess still plays WR in the NFL. He is from Wewoka, OK. He could be retired, not sure. The other was a guy who was probably the most talented high school football player I have ever seen 3A and under. His name was Brian Thrash. But halfway through HS, he moved to a Class C school and played 8-man and then fell off the face of the Earth.

Those are both me!!!

just kidding, no relation.

Ike
4/19/2010, 10:31 AM
A friend of mine is a land man down in Tx. One day he had to track down the owner of a parcel of land whose name (first and middle) was "Formica Dinette". At the time he told me this, he hadn't found this lady, but did find her sister. He asked her sister how she came to have that name. The sister replied that when her parents were pregnant with her, they came across this beautiful french name in a sears catalog...

BudSooner
4/19/2010, 10:39 AM
Rachel Rottencrotch.

homerSimpsonsBrain
4/19/2010, 10:40 AM

Lets just hope she doesnt hook up with Lester Borealis

soonerboomer93
4/19/2010, 10:49 AM
Hands down the best site for names evar:

http://nameoftheyear.blogspot.com/

Charity Beaver FTW (http://surveys.dmagazine.com/10MB/Details/Charity_Beaver)

Stitch Face
4/19/2010, 10:57 AM
My boy: Jack Henry.

Just saying it is like getting punched in the nose by awesomeness.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/19/2010, 11:35 AM
Oooooh! Forgot this one.

Speaking of Wal-Mart, there's a girl that works at the one here in Tulsa at 68th and Memorial next to Woodland Hills mall. Drumroll, maestro!

Her name is Rodz.

That's funny.

goingoneight
4/19/2010, 12:18 PM
:D

Craven Morehead. :D:D

Haywood Jablowme

ouduckhunter
4/19/2010, 01:59 PM
I knew several D'Evereux's, althoug the spelling might have been different, growing up, and at OU, but I haven't run into one in a long time. We had a young waitress at the IHOP a few years back named Patience which is the first time that I had ever met anybody with that name. I loved it too!

I love Elizabeth, Caroline, Emily, Jacqueline, Catherine, and the old classics like that. Some of today's more popular names where parents are naming kids after pop stars, etc., suck in my opinion!

sooner59
4/19/2010, 02:10 PM
1. Hootie McBoobs

2. Chesty LaRue

3. Busty Sinclaire

BTW: Charity Beaver is definitely a winner. :D

yermom
4/19/2010, 02:11 PM
Max Power

SicEmBaylor
4/19/2010, 02:27 PM
I have a friend whose middle name is "Stash." How's that for pure awesomeness? He doesn't go by Stash though which is unfortunate.

C&CDean
4/19/2010, 02:41 PM
Bingo.

That's almost as bad as Meadow or Willow.

I'm pretty sure you meant Melo, and I'm also pretty sure you couldn't find her even with the exact directions she gave.

SicEmBaylor
4/19/2010, 02:46 PM
I'm pretty sure you meant Melo, and I'm also pretty sure you couldn't find her even with the exact directions she gave.

Actually, I did find Melo. We met up in Waco a couple of years ago for the Baylor/OU game.

She's lovely.

C&CDean
4/19/2010, 02:47 PM
Well I knew you didn't find her in Houston, so I guess she had to come find you.

Is she all in the Army now?

Harry Beanbag
4/19/2010, 02:48 PM
Air Force

SicEmBaylor
4/19/2010, 02:52 PM
Well I knew you didn't find her in Houston, so I guess she had to come find you.

Is she all in the Army now?

But, it was Neal Boortz...NEAL F'n BOORTZ! Who wouldn't stand up a hot chick for that?

Ike
4/19/2010, 03:10 PM
But, it was Neal Boortz...NEAL F'n BOORTZ! Who wouldn't stand up a hot chick for that?

Pretty much everybody except you.

yermom
4/19/2010, 03:28 PM
it's not like she was gonna go to Branson with him

Bourbon St Sooner
4/19/2010, 03:41 PM

So a hippy chick was checking you out at Target. Did you go for it?

SanJoaquinSooner
4/20/2010, 12:17 AM
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/gina-carano.gif

Gina is a perfectly good name

http://i44.tinypic.com/2euirdd.gif