PDA

View Full Version : Capel Signs Neal to Letter of Intent

Jay C. Upchurch
4/16/2010, 05:46 PM
NORMAN -- University of Oklahoma head men's basketball coach Jeff Capel announced today the signing of in-state product Tyler Neal to a national letter of intent.

Neal, a 6-7, 220-pound forward from Putnam City West High School in Oklahoma City, is the reigning Oklahoma Gatorade Player of the Year. He averaged 18.2 points and 8.9 rebounds per game in helping the Patriots to a school-record 22 wins and to the Class 6A state tournament semifinals. It was West's first state tournament appearance since 1977.

"Tyler's a really good player," said Capel. "He's skilled, he's a really good athlete, he can shoot the basketball, can pass it and is a pretty good ball handler. I think he has a big upside. He skipped a grade when he was younger and so he just turned 17 years old. I think there's a chance he's going to continue growing.

"On top of having a very high basketball I.Q., he's a great kid, a really good student and comes from a great family. He's the kind of guy we want in our program and we're excited about what he can become at OU."

As a senior, Neal shot .557 from the field, .421 from 3-point range (45-for-107) and .785 from the free throw line (95-for-121). He added 1.4 assists, 2.0 blocks and 2.0 steals per contest.

Neal joins fellow high school seniors Cameron Clark and T.J. Taylor as members of OU's 2010 recruiting class. Clark, a 6-6 wing from Sherman, Texas, is rated No. 30 nationally by both Rivals.com and Scout.com. Taylor, a 6-3 combo guard from Denison, Texas, is rated No. 78 nationally by ESPN.com and No. 91 by Scout.com.

OU SID Report