PDA

View Full Version : Going to the principal's office.

Veritas
4/16/2010, 11:18 AM
That's what like the conference call I just gone done with was like. My company screwed up our time management (meaning that *I* effed up) and we're going to miss a deadline, despite a couple weeks of my devs working 10 hrs/6 days and me basically not sleeping.

We're going to learn through this failure but it really sucks in the meantime. I hate failing to meet our own expectations, which are always higher than our clients.

****. Thank god it's Friday...

...so that I can work through the weekend without getting hammered by emails and phone calls.

GKeeper316
4/16/2010, 11:30 AM
sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Sooner in Tampa
4/16/2010, 11:39 AM
somedays your the dog...somedays your the fire hydrant

Leroy Lizard
4/16/2010, 12:05 PM
That's what like the conference call I just gone done with was like. My company screwed up our time management (meaning that *I* effed up) and we're going to miss a deadline, despite a couple weeks of my devs working 10 hrs/6 days and me basically not sleeping.

We're going to learn through this failure but it really sucks in the meantime. I hate failing to meet our own expectations, which are always higher than our clients.

****. Thank god it's Friday...

...so that I can work through the weekend without getting hammered by emails and phone calls.

You're not the first company to ever miss a deadline. You won't be the last.

Veritas
4/16/2010, 12:08 PM
You're not the first company to ever miss a deadline. You won't be the last.
I know, but...I really really really hate missing them. It puts our clients in a bad position and causes them to lose money...it's at the top of my list of stuff I never want my company to do. :-/

Flagstaffsooner
4/16/2010, 12:52 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about high school. In my day I had my own desk in there.

Breadburner
4/16/2010, 12:59 PM
Sometimes you get the bear...other times the bear gets you....!

C&CDean
4/16/2010, 02:15 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about high school. In my day I had my own desk in there.

Word. Hell, in grade school Mr. Quinn had a paddle that he'd burn your name in after you got swats. Each time you came back, he'd burn a slash by your name. One whole side of the paddle was burned black by me.

Then in Jr. High, it was Mr. Carson. I learned a very powerful lesson from this man. He had forearms like Popeye, and was built like a bull. The first time I go down for swats he says "empty your back pockets and bend over the back of this chair." I go "OK, how many swats do I get?" He goes "just one." I go "cool."

Mr. Carson takes my center belt loop and picks my feet up off the floor. I'm hanging by my britches getting a mega-wedgie. Then he comes from somewhere in the neighborhood of downtown Phoenix with this fiberglass paddle he had. He hit me so ****ing hard I thought I was going to die. Seriously, he sets me down and goes "next time, it'll be 3." I go "yessir." As I'm walking out past the next couple guys coming in for swats (we were all fighting) they're all cocky and smiling and **** just like in grade school. I barely remember seeing these guys because I was on the verge of passing smooth out. Seriously.

I go to the bathroom and I couldn't feel my legs. I felt like I had been given an enema with a ****ing freight train or something. That afternoon when I was in class, my butt was completely numb. When I went home that night and dropped my drawers my *** was a purple/green mess with small cut lines were the edge of the paddle hit me - and I rarely bruise. This dude ****ed me up. I was bruised for several weeks, and I had a hard time sitting down for days.

Guess what I learned? Whatever it took, I wasn't gonna go back to Mr. Carson's office ever again. The only redeeming thing here was Mr. Carson didn't call my dad cause he would have added more bruises.

So Veritittay, it could be worse. Instead of getting reamed over the phone, you could have had your *** destroyed. Always a silver lining...