PDA

View Full Version : A serious question

Sooner in Tampa
4/16/2010, 09:42 AM
So, it's Friday...we are sitting around at working talking about this and that...and the converstation ends up with the "the old days", which somehow leads to "All in the Family"

Archie was funny as crap...but he told racist, misogynist, and generally insensitive jokes. Archie words as such as "fag" for homosexual, "hebe" for Jews, "spic" for Hispanics, "mick" for Irish, "dago" and "wop" for Italians,"polock" for Polish, "chink" for Chinese, "Jap" for Japanese, "gook" for southeast Asian, "spade" for blacks, and phrases such as "God damn it" not to mention at the time, the sound of a toilet flushing on tv was unheard of.
Stuff that would never be used today(with the exception of the toilet)...but for 5 years, it was the number one show in America.

The main point of our discussion was that races and walks of life all have things in their life/makeup that one could make jokes out of...and everybody could laugh because sooner or later, your turn was coming.

I agree that humor at ones race/lifestyle/family that are done in an ugly hateful manner are hurtful and should be avoided...but Archie seemed to do it in a non-offensive manner and the American general really seemed to enjoy it.

WHAT HAPPENED??? I know the PC police have run amok, but that is because we as a society allowed it. The exception is Redneck jokes...they are always funny and exceptable, it seems.

Crucifax Autumn
4/16/2010, 09:56 AM
The thing that made them able to get away with it is making Archie the REAL butt of all the jokes. The same thing worked in reverse when they spun off the Jeffersons and George was a judgemental, racist bufoon just like Archie.

For whatever reason, that doesn't seem to happen on TV anymore unless it's an animated show.

49r
4/16/2010, 10:26 AM
Ever watch "Family Guy"?

They push boundaries sometimes that just leaves me shaking my head. But it's about the funniest thing on TV these days, IMO.

"South Park" does a lot of the same kind of stuff, but they tend to be a bit more cerebral about it.

49r
4/16/2010, 10:34 AM
I guess that's what cru meant by saying "unless it's an animated show".

There is a TV show in development starring William Shatner based on the Sh1t My Dad Says (http://****mydadsays.com/blog) twitter feed. Not sure it'll make it to primetime, but they've made a pilot for CBS. It has the potential to be pretty non-PC...

49r
4/16/2010, 10:37 AM
dangit...linky no worky due to naughty filter on sf.com

GottaHavePride
4/16/2010, 10:39 AM
That may be the best twitter feed ever.

49r
4/16/2010, 11:10 AM
I like @MEBIGFOOT better, but he seems to not be updating any more.

lexsooner
4/16/2010, 12:15 PM
So, it's Friday...we are sitting around at working talking about this and that...and the converstation ends up with the "the old days", which somehow leads to "All in the Family"

Archie was funny as crap...but he told racist, misogynist, and generally insensitive jokes. Archie words as such as "fag" for homosexual, "hebe" for Jews, "spic" for Hispanics, "mick" for Irish, "dago" and "wop" for Italians,"polock" for Polish, "chink" for Chinese, "Jap" for Japanese, "gook" for southeast Asian, "spade" for blacks, and phrases such as "God damn it" not to mention at the time, the sound of a toilet flushing on tv was unheard of.
Stuff that would never be used today(with the exception of the toilet)...but for 5 years, it was the number one show in America.

The main point of our discussion was that races and walks of life all have things in their life/makeup that one could make jokes out of...and everybody could laugh because sooner or later, your turn was coming.

I agree that humor at ones race/lifestyle/family that are done in an ugly hateful manner are hurtful and should be avoided...but Archie seemed to do it in a non-offensive manner and the American general really seemed to enjoy it.

WHAT HAPPENED??? I know the PC police have run amok, but that is because we as a society allowed it. The exception is Redneck jokes...they are always funny and exceptable, it seems.

Standup comedians do tell racial/ethnic jokes all the time, especially their own groups. However, agreed, the non-redneck racial/ethnic/sexual jokes are mostly off-limits in the mainstream media.

Crucifax is absolutely right that Archie could get away with it because he was mostly the butt of the joke, a small-minded, bigoted blue collar lout whom viewers laughed at, and his use of racial epithets and stereotypes only strengthened this foolish tv character. It was all part of the schtick. The show was considered cutting edge back then, and I think it would be wrong to say it was not offensive to some and source of much controversy and discussion in the 70s.

I would agree that PC is often out of control today, although tv is considerably racier than it was back in the day. The good news is in the 35 to 40 years since All in the Family was the rage, this country has become much more diverse and the general attitudes of Americans has become much more tolerant towards different racial/ethnic groups and gays, women, etc. The Archie Bunkers are less common (although a number run amuck on the South Oval board - and are funny characters in themselves, but don't realize it) and accepted in this country and attitudes are different, so a tv show with an Archie character would not be funny in this day and age. In other words, All in the Family would not translate well to today's America, and it is because of changes in racial attitudes, and not just because of pc.

Leroy Lizard
4/16/2010, 12:19 PM

WHAT HAPPENED??? I know the PC police have run amok, but that is because we as a society allowed it. The exception is White jokes...they are always funny and exceptable, it seems.

Fixed.

You can still ridicule White people for being White. It happens in commercials and standup routines all the time.

For example: One big dumb oaf buys the wrong phone, and he is paying too much and always having his calls dropped. The other is a fit, sharp, smart dude who buys the right phone.

Want to guess the race of the two people?

Leroy Lizard
4/16/2010, 12:21 PM
Crucifax is absolutely right that Archie could get away with it because he was mostly the butt of the joke, a small-minded, bigoted blue collar lout whom viewers laughed at, and his use of racial epithets and stereotypes only strengthened this foolish tv character. It was all part of the schtick. The show was considered cutting edge back then, and I think it would be wrong to say it was not offensive to some and source of much controversy and discussion in the 70s.

Actually, Archie's character morphed over time as the PC police got their hooks in the show. Watch the later episodes, if you can stomach them.

Boarder
4/16/2010, 12:29 PM
I'd call Kenny Powers from East Bound and Down an Archie Bunker type. There are probably some others that I'm missing on cable. Not much on network, though, outside of the animateds.

TopDawg
4/16/2010, 12:35 PM
The mom on Arrested Development.
Ed O'Neil on Modern Family.
Steve Carrell on The Office.

They're not really PC.

homerSimpsonsBrain
4/16/2010, 01:26 PM

"South Park" does a lot of the same kind of stuff, but they tend to be a bit more cerebral about it.

Hummm "more cerebral". I dont think I've ever heard South Park referred to as "more cerebral". Unless by cerebral, you mean stuff like "Tom Cruise wont come out of the closet!" I loved that episode.

yermom
4/16/2010, 01:34 PM
well, they are more cerebral than Family Guy :D (those guys are pretty sharp though)

Tom Cruise is a fudge packer now though...

C&CDean
4/16/2010, 01:38 PM
In other words, All in the Family would not translate well to today's America, and it is because of changes in racial attitudes, and not just because of pc.

Horse****.

It's because certain people feel the need to monitor pretty much everything that's on the tube or in the press and then jump on anything even remotely "racial/ethnic/gay-bashing/etc."

People in prominent positions are always getting in trouble by accidently saying something that somebody else happens to find offensive. Many times it's not even the subject of the insensitive remark that gets all bent out of shape. It's oftentimes the white birkenstocker apologists who get all riled up. Unless, of course, the butt of the joke happens to be white folk. Then it's all groovy.

Larry Cochell never should have been fired for the remark he made. Hell, how many times have you heard someone say "slow white guy" and everybody is fine with it - including the slow white guy? Double standards for sure.

TopDawg
4/16/2010, 01:49 PM
Larry Cochell never should have been fired for the remark he made. Hell, how many times have you heard someone say "slow white guy" and everybody is fine with it - including the slow white guy? Double standards for sure.

Didn't he resign?

I'm not sure having someone say "slow white guy" is quite the same as a white coach saying "he is a good n*****." If you think it is basically the same, then it doesn't surprise me that we wouldn't see eye-to-eye on this issue.

C&CDean
4/16/2010, 01:52 PM
Are you sure that's exactly what Cochell said?

And yes, he resigned under pressure.

yermom
4/16/2010, 01:53 PM
http://rdbaker.blogspot.com/2005/05/no-larry-cochell-i-dont-know-what-you.html

There are honkies and white people and there are n****** and black people. Dunigan is a good black kid ... There’s no n***** in him.

all i really remember is the last part though

of course, then there is this:

I love black people. I hate n******

:D

TopDawg
4/16/2010, 01:57 PM
Here's a link to the story. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2051357

I got that quote off of Wiki, but it's not the statement referenced in the story. The story, however, does say he used similar language a week earlier...so that may be the reference on Wiki.

To one of your points, the player, Dunnigan, didn't want Cochell fired. Of course, that's of little consequence if you've embarrassed your employer.

C&CDean
4/16/2010, 01:57 PM
That's the quote. I still don't believe he should have gotten into hot water over it.

lexsooner
4/16/2010, 02:13 PM
Sing it, Dean!

"Boy the way Glen Campbell played

Songs that made the hit parade.

A---- like us we had it made,

There were no gays.

And you MF--- knew who you were then,

C--- were girls and men weren't faggots,

You liberal queers could use a man

Like George W Bush again.

Didn't need no black and Messican welfare state,

All the decent white folks pulled their weight.

Gee our old Pacer ran great.

There were no gays.

Now you a---holes, F--- Off!" :)

C&CDean
4/16/2010, 02:42 PM
What a gay song.

Crucifax Autumn
4/16/2010, 02:52 PM
This thread went to hell pretty quick.

Boarder
4/16/2010, 03:03 PM
Like a Pacer ever ran great.

Sooner in Tampa
4/16/2010, 04:01 PM
This thread went to hell pretty quick.
Yeah...pretty much...people can't have a rational discussion without getting their ****ing panties all up in wad

Thanks

C&CDean
4/16/2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah...pretty much...flaming liberal PC hacks without a sense of humorcan't have a rational discussion without getting their ****ing panties all up in wad

Thanks

True enough.

Sooner in Tampa
4/16/2010, 05:16 PM
True enough.
EXACTLY!