PDA

View Full Version : Tea Party "Contract From America"

Sooner5030
4/15/2010, 05:47 PM
Not too bad for a bunch of "wackos". Although I think they have over-broadened their causes to attract enough support to be a party at least they decided on a platform from a vote of its supporters.

http://www.thecontract.org/

The Contract from America

We, the undersigned, call upon those seeking to represent us in public office to sign the Contract from America and by doing so commit to support each of its agenda items, work to bring each agenda item to a vote during the first year, and pledge to advocate on behalf of individual liberty, limited government, and economic freedom.
Individual Liberty

Our moral, political, and economic liberties are inherent, not granted by our government. It is essential to the practice of these liberties that we be free from restriction over our peaceful political expression and free from excessive control over our economic choices.
Limited Government

The purpose of our government is to exercise only those limited powers that have been relinquished to it by the people, chief among these being the protection of our liberties by administering justice and ensuring our safety from threats arising inside or outside our country’s sovereign borders. When our government ventures beyond these functions and attempts to increase its power over the marketplace and the economic decisions of individuals, our liberties are diminished and the probability of corruption, internal strife, economic depression, and poverty increases.
Economic Freedom

The most powerful, proven instrument of material and social progress is the free market. The market economy, driven by the accumulated expressions of individual economic choices, is the only economic system that preserves and enhances individual liberty. Any other economic system, regardless of its intended pragmatic benefits, undermines our fundamental rights as free people.

1. Protect the Constitution

Require each bill to identify the specific provision of the Constitution that gives Congress the power to do what the bill does. (82.03%)

2. Reject Cap & Trade

Stop costly new regulations that would increase unemployment, raise consumer prices, and weaken the nation’s global competitiveness with virtually no impact on global temperatures. (72.20%)

3. Demand a Balanced Budget

Begin the Constitutional amendment process to require a balanced budget with a two-thirds majority needed for any tax hike. (69.69%)

4. Enact Fundamental Tax Reform

Adopt a simple and fair single-rate tax system by scrapping the internal revenue code and replacing it with one that is no longer than 4,543 words—the length of the original Constitution. (64.90%)

5. Restore Fiscal Responsibility & Constitutionally Limited Government in Washington

Create a Blue Ribbon taskforce that engages in a complete audit of federal agencies and programs, assessing their Constitutionality, and identifying duplication, waste, ineffectiveness, and agencies and programs better left for the states or local authorities, or ripe for wholesale reform or elimination due to our efforts to restore limited government consistent with the US Constitution’s meaning. (63.37%)

6. End Runaway Government Spending

Impose a statutory cap limiting the annual growth in total federal spending to the sum of the inflation rate plus the percentage of population growth. (56.57%)

7. Defund, Repeal, & Replace Government-run Health Care

Defund, repeal and replace the recently passed government-run health care with a system that actually makes health care and insurance more affordable by enabling a competitive, open, and transparent free-market health care and health insurance system that isn’t restricted by state boundaries. (56.39%)

8. Pass an ‘All-of-the-Above” Energy Policy

Authorize the exploration of proven energy reserves to reduce our dependence on foreign energy sources from unstable countries and reduce regulatory barriers to all other forms of energy creation, lowering prices and creating competition and jobs. (55.51%)

9. Stop the Pork

Place a moratorium on all earmarks until the budget is balanced, and then require a 2/3 majority to pass any earmark. (55.47%)
10. Stop the Tax Hikes

Permanently repeal all tax hikes, including those to the income, capital gains, and death taxes, currently scheduled to begin in 2011. (53.38%)

I don't like all ten and think some take a very simple view to some complex problems. I don't really think it's gonna matter anyway when the second housing crisis hits, pension plans default and all our agencies that underwrite these activities become insolvent.

Frozen Sooner
4/15/2010, 05:49 PM
I think as a general rule Congress already does #1 in the committee report accompanying passage of the bill. I could be wrong on that, though.

delhalew
4/15/2010, 09:46 PM
I think as a general rule Congress already does #1 in the committee report accompanying passage of the bill. I could be wrong on that, though.

If by that you mean twist and distort the wording of the constitution in order to shoehorn a pet project through Congress.

I like the list. It's a damn good start. No where near as good as an Article 5 amendment convention, but their hearts are in the right place.

JohnnyMack
4/15/2010, 09:53 PM
The Tea Party is going to "Ross Perot" the 2012 elections.

MR2-Sooner86
4/15/2010, 10:20 PM
Pass the Fair Tax and see several of those problems disappear.

Crucifax Autumn
4/16/2010, 08:06 AM

That's exactly what I've been saying.

Frozen Sooner
4/16/2010, 08:08 AM
If by that you mean twist and distort the wording of the constitution in order to shoehorn a pet project through Congress.

I like the list. It's a damn good start. No where near as good as an Article 5 amendment convention, but their hearts are in the right place.

Oh. Sorry. I forgot. The Constitution means what the Tea Party says it means.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/16/2010, 08:26 AM
Balanced budget amendment. I'm on board. Too bad it's nevar gonna happen.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/16/2010, 08:35 AM
Balanced budget amendment. I'm on board. Too bad it's nevar gonna happen.

You're right. Nobody wants to give up their gov't check.

delhalew
4/16/2010, 08:41 AM
Oh. Sorry. I forgot. The Constitution means what the Tea Party says it means.

Now you're learning.:D
Seriously, its not a complicated document. If there is a question...look the the ratification debates.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/16/2010, 08:49 AM

That and politicians get their power and popularity by giving stuff out, not taking stuff back as many states are having to do now.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/16/2010, 08:57 AM

Which is what is exactly wrong with people today...

We have developed a permanent underclass that is used to get a gubmint check and won't do anything else. Why give up free housing, free food and a monthly check to go to work. Work is hard.

JohnnyMack
4/16/2010, 09:22 AM
So would your balanced budget amendment allow for exceptions during times of war?

reevie
4/16/2010, 09:23 AM

If you mean by enabling a Democrat win, yes it will.

Sooner5030
4/16/2010, 09:49 AM
So would your balanced budget amendment allow for exceptions during times of war?

No, require a separate line item tax (flat though not progressive) that pays for the war so folks can see the true costs. This way we only use our forces when our electorate feels threatened enough that they are willing to actually pay for the conflict.

Crucifax Autumn
4/16/2010, 09:53 AM
They'll just do the same shat they do now and just have "off budget spending" like we've been seeing for years.

Sooner5030
4/16/2010, 09:58 AM
They'll just do the same shat they do now and just have "off budget spending" like we've been seeing for years.

In 'their' defense how can you budget (plan) for a contingency combat operation? I could see putting the occupation into our budgeting process but cannot comprehend how you intend to plan (budget) for initial entry, invasion or defensive wars.

Crucifax Autumn
4/16/2010, 10:01 AM
One way would be to establish and maintain a surplus, but that went out of style in 2000.

JohnnyMack
4/16/2010, 10:04 AM
No, require a separate line item tax (flat though not progressive) that pays for the war so folks can see the true costs. This way we only use our forces when our electorate feels threatened enough that they are willing to actually pay for the conflict.

Good luck with that.

Ike
4/16/2010, 10:36 AM

I hate to say it, but if something like this had been in place in 1942, we might all be speaking German right now.

Borrowing money is not an inherent evil. Not for you, not for me, and not for governments. Borrowing can get you in trouble, but borrowing wisely can get you out of trouble too.

It can be looked at it this way. When you (or anyone else) buys government debt (bonds), in many respects you are making an investment in America. Now on the flip side of that coin, it's the governments responsibility to put that money to good use so that it can later afford to pay back your investment. In simple terms, this means enacting policies that will lead to a larger tax base (economic growth), but not at the expense of tax revenue to pay back the debt.

A flat tax to pay for wars will really sap the public's appetite for war, perhaps even absolutely necessary wars. Not only will they be giving likely a much higher portion of their earnings to uncle sam, but unlike say, buying war bonds as was popular for WWII, they won't be able to look forward to a return on their investment.

SicEmBaylor
4/16/2010, 11:05 AM
Now you're learning.:D
Seriously, its not a complicated document. If there is a question...look the the ratification debates.

This is what I've been trying to tell people. This stuff was debated and explained ad-nausem from the Philadelphia Convention itself through the ratification debates. There's nothing horribly complicated or secret about it.

Sooner5030
4/16/2010, 11:25 AM
I hate to say it, but if something like this had been in place in 1942, we might all be speaking German right now.

Not really. The terrain, geo-isolation, size and militant nature of the population would make it almost impossible to successfully occupy this country with a foreign Army.

TUSooner
4/16/2010, 12:53 PM
Where's all the racists stuff that's supposed to be in there? I mean, according to the Huffy Post, the Tea Party is just a proxy for racism. Don't y'all pay 'tention?

Bourbon St Sooner
4/16/2010, 12:59 PM
Well if you go listen to the black talk radio station, they'll tell you that cutting gov't spending is akin to committing genocide. So clearly this is a racist agenda.

homerSimpsonsBrain
4/16/2010, 01:09 PM
Its just more generic horse-apples. None of that stuff means anything other than what the reader wants it to mean. And as soon as we elect some group of schmucks to enact said contract, they'll pull a Gingrich and say "oops. Did I say term limits? What I meant to say was **** you."

Ike
4/16/2010, 01:25 PM
Its just more generic horse-apples. None of that stuff means anything other than what the reader wants it to mean. And as soon as we elect some group of schmucks to enact said contract, they'll pull a Gingrich and say "oops. Did I say term limits? What I meant to say was **** you."

Similar to this:
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/04/romney-not-paul-fares-best-in-12.html
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5ieXw28ZUpg/S8YSREb-_bI/AAAAAAAABn8/WR3XccFK-Bw/s400/2012_1.png

If only someone could find Generic Republican...

JohnnyMack
4/16/2010, 01:37 PM
If the R's roll out one of these lefotvers from the 08 race then they're going to lose in 2012. I think if they roll out an established, experienced Governor for 2012 they'll be in much better shape. Mitch Daniels from Indiana or Rick Perry from Texas come to mind.

TUSooner
4/16/2010, 01:38 PM
Well if you go listen to the black talk radio station, they'll tell you that cutting gov't spending is akin to committing genocide. So clearly this is a racist agenda.

But if little ol' white you or I generalized that "most black people are dependent on Government support for survival" we'd be reviled as racists.

yermom
4/16/2010, 01:46 PM
If the R's roll out one of these lefotvers from the 08 race then they're going to lose in 2012. I think if they roll out an established, experienced Governor for 2012 they'll be in much better shape. Mitch Daniels from Indiana or Rick Perry from Texas come to mind.

please, no more Texans

Frozen Sooner
4/16/2010, 02:24 PM
This is what I've been trying to tell people. This stuff was debated and explained ad-nausem from the Philadelphia Convention itself through the ratification debates. There's nothing horribly complicated or secret about it.

I agree.

I mean, if you look at the difference between the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution, the clear intent was to set up a stronger national government, including granting Congress implied powers to effectuate the express powers.

However, some people seem to have a hard time understanding that and think that we're still using the AoC.

I refer you to McCulloch v. Maryland.

Crucifax Autumn
4/16/2010, 02:28 PM
Effin' Froze, always throwing out facts and ****!

TheHumanAlphabet
4/16/2010, 04:38 PM

God not Rick Perry. They'll be doing the nut grab cheer in the White House!

SicEmBaylor
4/16/2010, 04:50 PM
Rick Perry is dreadful. I've worked with his office for years when I was in Texas, and I can't begin to tell you what a fake piece of **** Rick Perry is. He's a classic politician in the worst sense of the word and will do or say anything he has to within the moment to get what he wants.

He's a snake oil salesman -- the Republican equivalent to John Edwards. I ****ing hate Rick Perry with the fury of a thousand suns. I've had more drag out arguments and lost more friends over that pice of **** than any other human being on the planet.

Rick Perry can eat **** and die.

47straight
4/16/2010, 05:19 PM
I agree.

I mean, if you look at the difference between the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution, the clear intent was to set up a stronger national government, including granting Congress implied powers to effectuate the express powers.

However, some people seem to have a hard time understanding that and think that we're still using the AoC.

I refer you to McCulloch v. Maryland.

Froze throws his tidbits of legal knowledge like an Iranian mullah swinging around a nuke. He has no idea what he's doing and we all just hope the only one he hurts is himself.

Sorry 2L, it needs to be done every once in a while.

47straight
4/16/2010, 05:20 PM
Rick Perry is dreadful. I've worked with his office for years when I was in Texas, and I can't begin to tell you what a fake piece of **** Rick Perry is. He's a classic politician in the worst sense of the word and will do or say anything he has to within the moment to get what he wants.

He's a snake oil salesman -- the Republican equivalent to John Edwards. I ****ing hate Rick Perry with the fury of a thousand suns. I've had more drag out arguments and lost more friends over that pice of **** than any other human being on the planet.

How about Greg Abbott?

Frozen Sooner
4/16/2010, 05:22 PM
Froze throws his tidbits of legal knowledge like an Iranian mullah swinging around a nuke. He has no idea what he's doing and we all just hope the only one he hurts is himself.

Sorry 2L, it needs to be done every once in a while.

It's fine. You have your opinion. The Supreme Court had theirs. :D

Crucifax Autumn
4/16/2010, 05:40 PM

He's a total doosh and like you said, a fake. When he took over for W, his accent actually changed and he started talkingz like Bush. As time went on and Bush got less popular, Perry's accent reverted back to what it was in 1999.

SicEmBaylor
4/16/2010, 05:44 PM
How about Greg Abbott?

Greg Abbott is alright. How ****ty does your luck have to be to be out jogging one day when a random tree falls on you and paralyzes you for life? I thought my luck was bad.

Anyway, I've met AG Abbott several times and he strikes me as a sincere gentleman.

SicEmBaylor
4/16/2010, 05:45 PM
The best statewide elected official in Texas is Jerry Patterson.

John Kochtoston
4/16/2010, 05:50 PM
If only someone could find Generic Republican...

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1612263/2/istockphoto_1612263_casual_happy_old_man.jpg

This dude in 2012!

Harry Beanbag
4/16/2010, 06:00 PM
Greg Abbott is alright. How ****ty does your luck have to be to be out jogging one day when a random tree falls on you and paralyzes you for life? I thought my luck was bad.

He least he wasn't the guy jogging on the beach in South Carolina and a ****ing airplane landed on him.

delhalew
4/17/2010, 09:49 AM
I agree.

If by implied, you mean enumerated...then ok.