PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Rules Changes

sooner59
4/15/2010, 04:49 PM
1. New for 2010, if you taunt (showboat) you will be penalized from the spot of the foul. If you score a touchdown, the points are taken off the board and penalized from the spot it happened.

2. No more writing on eye-black like St. Tebow always did.

There may be more changes, but I caught these two being discussed on ESPN College Football Live.

HBick
4/15/2010, 04:53 PM
1. New for 2010, if you taunt (showboat) you will be penalized from the spot of the foul. If you score a touchdown, the points are taken off the board and penalized from the spot it happened.

There may be more changes, but I caught these two being discussed on ESPN College Football Live.

This was actually passed? I heard about it a few months ago, but did CFL say it was being proposed or it was changed?

GKeeper316
4/15/2010, 04:54 PM
1 sucks

2 i like

madillsoonerfan5353
4/15/2010, 04:57 PM
I think they both suck! Next rule?

3. No more high fives on the sideline.

OK2U
4/15/2010, 05:01 PM
My suggestion:
Coaches should dress in uniform (see baseball).
No more khakis and golf shirts.

Collier11
4/15/2010, 05:06 PM
I dont think #1 has been passed has it?

silverwheels
4/15/2010, 05:09 PM
I like how they wait until after Tebow leaves to implement the eye-black rule. :rolleyes: And don't even get me started on the taunting rule.

The NCAA is slowly but surely killing their two main sports.

Collier11
4/15/2010, 05:09 PM
I guess I was wrong, just read it on ESPN. I dont like this at all for this reason, I dont trust the refs. We are going to put it in the refs hands that if they THINK it is taunting they can take points off the board. What if you are about to score a huge game winning TD and celebrate and the ref throws the flag. This is BS

I dont trust this quote either

"It's really if it's really bad, for example, if a guy flips the bird at the 10 or high-steps backwards into the end zone or starts a forward roll at the 3-yard line."

"If it's close to diving into the end zone, most likely it would be ruled that the act ended while in the end zone. We'll be lenient"

Collier11
4/15/2010, 05:12 PM
BTW, the taunting rule isnt til 2011

East Coast Bias
4/15/2010, 05:16 PM
I liked George Carlin's suggestion that the coaches where team uniforms like is the practice in baseball.. Hehe It would have been great to see Mangino in that setting......

olevetonahill
4/15/2010, 06:07 PM
Heres the article
I dont like either of em. Bastages:mad:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/-Do-not-Express-yourself-Taunting-eyeblack-ba?urn=ncaaf,234533

gaylordfan1
4/15/2010, 06:08 PM

Thats good news... one more year. That rule blows anyways. I agree that the stripes will take advantage of this and blow a game.

SunnySooner
4/15/2010, 07:12 PM
Yep, rule #1 WAAAYYYY too subjective, what total BS.

I effin hate the NCAA.

BoulderSooner79
4/15/2010, 07:56 PM
They also banned wedge blocking on kick returns.

If a guy wants to taunt, he better play defense. They don't seem to care if a guy lords it over the player on offense after a hit.

olevetonahill
4/15/2010, 08:39 PM
Yep, rule #1 WAAAYYYY too subjective, what total BS.

I effin hate the NCAA.

Ya mean these folks ?:D
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1XVUdraxgKc/Ru_LAq546SI/AAAAAAAAAQs/KHsbdgVeNI8/s320/boz186qr%5B1%5D.jpg

sooner59
4/15/2010, 10:16 PM

Well that's good. I hate this rule with a burning passion. And I was a little worried about Ryan Broyles.

JLEW1818
4/15/2010, 10:20 PM
taking points off the board??? sounds obama style

sooner518
4/15/2010, 10:41 PM
rule #1 is an epic fail. I predict it will last two years. it will cost some team a game at some point, which is completely idiotic. everyone will talk about how stupid it is that a rule decided a game and it will be changed after the season ends.

rule #2 - who cares? i do find it curious that they waited until after Tebow is gone to implement it..... aside from that, what is the point? its not like people were writing cuss words or taunting words on them? great use of resources NCAA!

gaylordfan1
4/15/2010, 11:12 PM
I bet Broyles lays off the show boatin this year. Well, the more I think about it....:confused:, he prob won't.

soonerloyal
4/16/2010, 08:34 AM

Oh, sure. Change that AFTER Timmah leaves. Let him show off all the platitudinal carp he wants before ya outlaw it.

:D

goingoneight
4/16/2010, 08:36 AM
1. Good rule that undoutedly be abused by the officials in an OU game. Take away the moonwalks and flying birdies... but taking away the horns up/down after a play in the RRS is ghey. Penalizing a high-stepping receiver whose only fault is being faster than his opposition is gheyer than Ricky Martin on prom night.
2. Interesting, too that they waited for Tebow to graduate. This won't stop guys from wearing arm bands and whatnot to get their "point" across.

Crucifax Autumn
4/16/2010, 08:46 AM
#2 is actually just asking for problems as much as #1.

What do they tell people like that ****** from TT when they just get permanent tats on their face with their "platitudes"?

rawlingsHOH
4/16/2010, 08:56 AM

Yep.

More stupid rules.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/16/2010, 08:59 AM
Also, wedge blocking on kick offs is banned.

BoulderSooner79
4/16/2010, 12:37 PM
#2 is actually just asking for problems as much as #1.

What do they tell people like that ****** from TT when they just get permanent tats on their face with their "platitudes"?

They just figure have a face tatoo is punishment enough.

badger
4/16/2010, 01:51 PM
Ya mean these folks ?:D
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1XVUdraxgKc/Ru_LAq546SI/AAAAAAAAAQs/KHsbdgVeNI8/s320/boz186qr%5B1%5D.jpg

In Soviet Russia, football plays you!

...sooner
4/16/2010, 02:12 PM
stupid stupid. the NCAA sucks.

jumperstop
4/16/2010, 02:24 PM
rule #1 is an epic fail. I predict it will last two years. it will cost some team a game at some point, which is completely idiotic. everyone will talk about how stupid it is that a rule decided a game and it will be changed after the season ends.

rule #2 - who cares? i do find it curious that they waited until after Tebow is gone to implement it..... aside from that, what is the point? its not like people were writing cuss words or taunting words on them? great use of resources NCAA!

I think it's great that they got rid of that stupid eye crap. People weren't writting curse words, but they did have bible verses on them. Which to me seems like a violation of seperation between church and state, at least at a public university. You wouldn't like it if someone was putting their satanic rituals on their eye stuff. And sometimes they put area codes and stuff like that, could been seen as gang related. I know most of the time it's not that type of stuff, it's mainly for their kid or their mom, words of inspiration and **** like that. But why do these guys need to draw attention to themselves anymore than they already do...I've heard before that those eye things don't really do anything anyways.

gaylordfan1
4/16/2010, 02:30 PM
I think it's great that they got rid of that stupid eye crap. People weren't writting curse words, but they did have bible verses on them. Which to me seems like a violation of seperation between church and state, at least at a public university. You wouldn't like it if someone was putting their satanic rituals on their eye stuff. And sometimes they put area codes and stuff like that, could been seen as gang related. I know most of the time it's not that type of stuff, it's mainly for their kid or their mom, words of inspiration and **** like that. But why do these guys need to draw attention to themselves anymore than they already do...I've heard before that those eye things don't really do anything anyways.

I see it as not a big deal. What next, banning the players writing on their wrist tape? I personally can't read what either of them say anyway, even on HDTV.

BoulderSooner79
4/16/2010, 02:43 PM
I'm a staunch believer in the separation of church and state, but I don't that as relevant here. I think the motivation from the NCAA is to reduce the focus on an individual in a team sport. That's at least consistent with the excess celebration and taking off the helmet rules. Just trying to apply some logic to not so logical rules.

My beef with the new rules is they seem to be trying to solve an already solved problem (talking about the new celebration penalty). And as I said in another post, it is all aimed at the offense and the defense gets to do as they please most the time. As others have posted, the rule is wide open to abuse by biased or incompetent referees.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/16/2010, 04:35 PM
I can't wait until a score is taken away and the outcome of the game is changed...I wonder how the University presidents and coaches will think after that.

Collier11
4/16/2010, 04:48 PM
seperation of church and state has nothing to do with putting a Bible verse on your eye black, it is a weak rule by the ncaa over something that shouldnt even matter

sooner59
4/16/2010, 05:57 PM
I was more irritated over people putting their area codes. (cough) Reggie Bush (cough)

soonerloyal
4/16/2010, 10:15 PM

Even for your politics, attempting a parallel between the NCAA and Obama is lame.

gaylordfan1
4/16/2010, 11:35 PM
I hear they are going to use tented contacts to replace the eye black... you know, so they can see in the sun.

Leroy Lizard
4/17/2010, 12:08 AM
Even for your politics, attempting a parallel between the NCAA and Obama is lame.

Because the NCAA is far more respectable.

bweezie
4/17/2010, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=silverwheels;2866381]I like how they wait until after Tebow leaves to implement the eye-black rule. QUOTE]

yeah, reminds me of when they did away with the dark visors after reggie bush left. peterson, meanwhile, was SOL.

rawlingsHOH
4/17/2010, 03:25 PM
Also, wedge blocking on kick offs is banned.

Stoops agree with this. But disagreed with the taunting one.

JLEW1818
4/18/2010, 09:42 PM

i luv u:eek: :hot:

RedstickSooner
4/19/2010, 08:44 AM
Now, perhaps we're wrong about rule #2. Maybe it's not an attempt to keep things focused on the team instead of the individual.

Maybe they just put the rule in place because the practice of writing crap with your eye black is really, really, *really* ghey. And maybe there is something wrong with that.

I like the idea of #1 -- but only the *idea*. For it to be an acceptable rule, we'd have to have perfect refs, who were capable of monitoring every player's words and actions with absolute clarity. Obviously, that ain't the case. Which makes this rule downright awful. Shame we even need it, though. It'd be nice if coaches started punishing their own players for showboating, rather than just smirking on the sideline when they see it.

As an aside, Jlew, talking football is fun (to me) primarily because for the most part, we agree on the fundamentals. Why bring up politics and introduce new areas of dissent? If Obama jumps on the "We should legislate the BCS" bandwagon, feel free to have at him. Otherwise, it seems, y'know, kinda counter-productive.

Crucifax Autumn
4/19/2010, 09:04 AM
They should just fine coaches of players who showboat. Then it wouldn't change the outcome of the game, but the kid that did it would have a coach with a thinner wallet chewing that azz all week.