PDA

View Full Version : Allen, TX To Build $60M 18,000 Seat Stadium

sooner59
4/14/2010, 11:22 PM
Doesn't surprise me. That is a football school with a ton of people. Should be pretty sweet when its finished, though.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1074494

Tigeman
4/14/2010, 11:43 PM
600 band members??? holy ****. I didn't even graduate hs with that many people. LOL

sooner59
4/14/2010, 11:52 PM
I graduated #1 of 55 people. :D

yankee
4/14/2010, 11:56 PM
and that band is very loud, trust me. as a southlake carroll alum, of course i would always be on the opposite side of that damn band...their current stadium is POS and the school district refuses to to go to 2 or more high schools...so that's why they have 4,000-5,000 kids in that one school. (it literally looks like a small college campus)

meoveryouxinfinity
4/15/2010, 09:13 AM
and that band is very loud, trust me. as a southlake carroll alum, of course i would always be on the opposite side of that damn band...their current stadium is POS and the school district refuses to to go to 2 or more high schools...so that's why they have 4,000-5,000 kids in that one school. (it literally looks like a small college campus)

sounds like Putnam City High back in the day.

Widescreen
4/15/2010, 10:12 AM
I live in Allen. The current stadium really does suck so this is definitely a good thing.

Spanish Sooner
4/15/2010, 10:33 AM
I played against Allen when I was in High School. Didn't see there band perform but it literally looked as we were waking to the visitors locker room that they were able to cover the whole field with their band.

Their old stadium isn't that nice, but I liked their setup, didn't appreciated back then, but they have their student section in one end zone and half their band in the other.

TMcGee86
4/15/2010, 11:02 AM
meh, it's got nuthin on the Berry Center.

Widescreen
4/15/2010, 11:21 AM
I played against Allen when I was in High School. Didn't see there band perform but it literally looked as we were waking to the visitors locker room that they were able to cover the whole field with their band.

Their old stadium isn't that nice, but I liked their setup, didn't appreciated back then, but they have their student section in one end zone and half their band in the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br4Bl5mRv-A

Mississippi Sooner
4/15/2010, 11:31 AM
By any chance, does anyone here know what architectural firm will be handling this project?

sooner59
4/15/2010, 11:33 AM
meh, it's got nuthin on the Berry Center.

Wow, that place is awesome, too.

SoonerJack
4/15/2010, 02:18 PM

Staying with one mega school usually insures successful football. Way to go Allen Board of Education.:texan:

Mississippi Sooner
4/15/2010, 02:24 PM
Why not just put a roof over Conroe and call it Houston High School? Bet they'd have a butt kickin' football team.

meoveryouxinfinity
4/15/2010, 02:24 PM
Staying with one mega school usually insures successful football. Way to go Allen Board of Education.:texan:

Again, reminds me of Putnam City back in the day.

Good for sports (and band, for you nerds who keep bringing it up) but not very good when you have humongous class sizes as a freshman.. in high school.

Jacie
4/15/2010, 02:34 PM
Of kids in grades 10-12, there are more at Allen H.S. than in the entire county here . . .

St. Lawrence County enrollment grades 10-12 = 3827

Allen Highschool enrollment grades 10-12 = 3900

Mississippi Sooner
4/15/2010, 02:46 PM
I can even top that! There are only about 4,400 residents in my entire county.

The school system here is a subject better off ignored.

badger
4/15/2010, 02:48 PM
I can even top that! There are only about 4,400 residents in my entire county.

The school system here is a subject better off ignored.

So.. are you the reason Oklahoma's ranked 49th in everything ;)

Mississippi Sooner
4/15/2010, 03:13 PM
So.. are you the reason Oklahoma's ranked 49th in everything ;)

Hey, Mississippi is always number one in obesity!

sooner94
4/15/2010, 04:03 PM

Off topic- That Allen/Southlake game in the playoffs last year was one of the best football games at any level I have ever seen. Glad I made the trip to Jerry World for that one. Were you there?

While I thought the current Allen stadium isn't too bad, for such a large school with an elite program, they should have a better stadium. I live in Plano right on the Allen border, and from what I hear from Allen fans, they will never have to split the high school. So they should be a perennial football power.

allentxsooner
4/15/2010, 04:09 PM
As the official Soonerfans.com Allen, TX rep, and a Homeowner in Allen, I am proud to see my tax dollars go for this Stadium

Widescreen
4/15/2010, 05:12 PM
Off topic- That Allen/Southlake game in the playoffs last year was one of the best football games at any level I have ever seen. Glad I made the trip to Jerry World for that one. Were you there?

My daughter went and she still raves about the game. She loves retelling the last minute of the game. :)

OU_Sooners75
4/15/2010, 05:20 PM
Jesus...Allen Texas was a hole in the wall just about 15 years ago, there were not that many residents in that town then....LOL

That damn metro area is growing like a weed!

We use drive down 75 from Sherman to Plano when visiting my grand parents...and basically from McKinney to Plano used to be open field....then in 2003, my grandma passed away and from McKinney to Plano was nothing but town.

Allen was located between.
Frisco, I remember was lined with whore houses.

sooner94
4/15/2010, 05:50 PM
My daughter went and she still raves about the game. She loves retelling the last minute of the game. :)

My two favorite moments were the touchdown pass on the last play of the game, and the play where the Allen QB got stopped diving for the goal line in OT to end the game. The OT play was almost identical to Burt Reynolds' run at the end of The Longest Yard. The QB ran one way and the defense was there, and he reversed field and ran all the way to the other side. Only difference is that the Allen QB didn't get in, but Paul Crew did. I have probably never been on the edge of my seat that much for one play, at least for a game I attended in person.

A Sooner in Texas
4/15/2010, 07:47 PM
Why not just put a roof over Conroe and call it Houston High School? Bet they'd have a butt kickin' football team.

Uh, no they wouldn't. There'd be a much better chance if they put the roof over The Woodlands High School...which is part of the Conroe Independent School District but as different as night and day from Conroe High in terms of demographics and the money the football parents put into the booster club.

btk108
4/15/2010, 07:53 PM
1 of 14.....band?...what freakin' band? Oh, and if you think that was small the HS 14 miles away had 2 seniors that year.

yankee
4/15/2010, 07:53 PM

While I thought the current Allen stadium isn't too bad, for such a large school with an elite program, they should have a better stadium. I live in Plano right on the Allen border, and from what I hear from Allen fans, they will never have to split the high school. So they should be a perennial football power.

hell yes i was there. i wasn't going to miss a chance to see southlake beat allen in the playoffs.....again. ;)

unbelievable atmosphere. however, i think the carroll-trinity game in '06 just barely tops it...of course, i was a student back then and not an alum, so i might be a little biased. but still...unbelievable game. i still on occasion go back and watch the highlights of that game.

yankee
4/15/2010, 07:56 PM
My two favorite moments were the touchdown pass on the last play of the game, and the play where the Allen QB got stopped diving for the goal line in OT to end the game. The OT play was almost identical to Burt Reynolds' run at the end of The Longest Yard. The QB ran one way and the defense was there, and he reversed field and ran all the way to the other side. Only difference is that the Allen QB didn't get in, but Paul Crew did. I have probably never been on the edge of my seat that much for one play, at least for a game I attended in person.

i'm pretty sure my heart was stopped for the seemingly 10 minutes that QB of theirs was scrambling around.

for those that want to see what a real playoff atmosphere is like...watch this vid. 40,000+ at this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrp8gAmfkrc

gaylordfan1
4/15/2010, 08:46 PM
Cool clip.

bluedogok
4/15/2010, 10:05 PM
Jesus...Allen Texas was a hole in the wall just about 15 years ago, there were not that many residents in that town then....LOL

That damn metro area is growing like a weed!

We use drive down 75 from Sherman to Plano when visiting my grand parents...and basically from McKinney to Plano used to be open field....then in 2003, my grandma passed away and from McKinney to Plano was nothing but town.

Allen was located between.
I lived in Dallas from 91-93 and remember almost nothing north of Crest Cadillac on 75 north of Plano, there was discernible gaps between Plano, Allen and McKinney. McKinney was a nice small town. 121 was also nothing more than a two lane blacktop in the middle of fields.

I-35 was the same way between Carrolton and Lewisville and Denton, now it is all one place.

rawlingsHOH
4/16/2010, 09:02 AM

i'm sorry i missed that

SOONERKAT
4/16/2010, 10:37 AM
As the official Soonerfans.com Allen, TX rep, and a Homeowner in Allen, I am proud to see my tax dollars go for this Stadium

The good people of Cypress, TX said the same thing about the afore mentioned Berry Center when it was being built. This of course was prior to the district's recent $28 million budget shortfall. Now the same residents are calling for its sale, even though it was built with bond money, not tax dollars. It really is a sad deal because the Berry (auditorium and football stadium) is a sight to behold. Easily nicer than many college stadiums I've been to.

Anyone know how this one is being funded?

Widescreen
4/16/2010, 10:51 AM
Although I don't specifically recall voting on this, the article said:

The stadium was part of a larger $120 million bond package passed in May 2009 that included nearly as much money for a state-of-the-art auditorium for performing arts;

SOONERKAT
4/16/2010, 11:04 AM
Although I don't specifically recall voting on this, the article said:

This was how Cy-Fair ISD got the Berry built as well, as part of a package deal. The problems they are having now is that the facility was built with bond money, but the upkeep and maintenance is the responsibility of the district which is paid for with tax dollars. When the built the Berry, the idea was that the revenue it would generate by holding conferences, concerts, etc., would pay for itself, but it hasn't worked out that way.

Best of luck to Allen though. I hope they are able to avoid the backlash the Berry is receiving now because this new facility is impressive and the town as a whole will really enjoy having it there.

brigadeer
4/17/2010, 11:31 PM
I live in Allen. The current stadium really does suck so this is definitely a good thing.

I drive by the school everyday when taking my son to school. I agree with you. Also, I imagine this will be a positive revenue generator anyway.

Curly Bill
4/17/2010, 11:35 PM
I remember when the McDonalds in Allen off of 75 was pretty much in the country. Now, not so much.

TMcGee86
4/18/2010, 11:21 AM
This was how Cy-Fair ISD got the Berry built as well, as part of a package deal. The problems they are having now is that the facility was built with bond money, but the upkeep and maintenance is the responsibility of the district which is paid for with tax dollars. When the built the Berry, the idea was that the revenue it would generate by holding conferences, concerts, etc., would pay for itself, but it hasn't worked out that way.

Best of luck to Allen though. I hope they are able to avoid the backlash the Berry is receiving now because this new facility is impressive and the town as a whole will really enjoy having it there.

Yup, with a wife that's a CFISD teacher, I can tell you that the budget crisis is a huge thorn in our side.

That being said, it wasn't the Berry Center that caused it, it's just a convenient ginormous scapegoat. Though I will say it obviously didn't help like they thought it would.

The main problem is the Superintendent is a moran. That and they over built high schools based on predictions of expansion that never occurred based on things out of their control like developers going bankrupt and the overall economic collapse which left developments empty that were supposed to explode in growth.

It is crazy though that Allen is building a place that nice for one HS compared to the 11 in CFISD that use the Berry Center. Hats off to them if they can pull it off.

ashley
4/18/2010, 04:00 PM
I love it when the people vote for football.

trwxxa
4/18/2010, 04:45 PM
Yup, with a wife that's a CFISD teacher, I can tell you that the budget crisis is a huge thorn in our side.

That being said, it wasn't the Berry Center that caused it, it's just a convenient ginormous scapegoat. Though I will say it obviously didn't help like they thought it would.

The main problem is the Superintendent is a moran. That and they over built high schools based on predictions of expansion that never occurred based on things out of their control like developers going bankrupt and the overall economic collapse which left developments empty that were supposed to explode in growth.

It is crazy though that Allen is building a place that nice for one HS compared to the 11 in CFISD that use the Berry Center. Hats off to them if they can pull it off.

I notice that Cirque du Soleil - Alegria is going to be at Berry Center in June. I assume CFISD is just collecting the rent on this one and maybe this is a start.

I agree on the superintendant at CFISD. He and the Ft. Bend super mortgaged the future and now the employees are paying the price. The taxpayers are maxed out by law so they can't go there for more.

Allen, are you listening?

stoopified
4/19/2010, 11:06 AM
Tulsa Union and Jenks have figured that whole bigger wschool = better sports(especially football) thing a long time ago.About 30 years ago the OKC area starting splitting up the mega schools and the trend has continued Putnam city(3 schools),Moore (3 schools),Edmond(3 schools),Norman (2 schools)If Lawton,Moore,Midwest City,Norman,Edmond,Putnam City had just 1 school each the Union ,Jenks dominance would be over.Broken Arrow is the third largest school in the state and they apparently underachieve.

PLaw
4/19/2010, 09:34 PM

hmmm, as a southlaker, then you too know the advantage of not going to two high schools when the population would otherwise support it. The old PLANO model of having a high school for freshmen and sophomores and a Sr. High School for juniors and seniors serves the district well on the competition field. That said, a lot of kids that would get to play in a traditional model also get left out.

BOOMER

PLaw
4/19/2010, 09:38 PM
I drive by the school everyday when taking my son to school. I agree with you. Also, I imagine this will be a positive revenue generator anyway.

This new stadium will be a great venue for lower classifications to have bi-district and area games.

BOOMER

texaspokieokie
4/20/2010, 10:33 AM
Plaw

but Plano has at least 3 hi-schools, & 2 of them are amoung the largest in the state.

i guess i made no point, even with 3 schools, they're still very large.

BudSooner
4/20/2010, 12:48 PM
Tulsa Union and Jenks have figured that whole bigger wschool = better sports(especially football) thing a long time ago.About 30 years ago the OKC area starting splitting up the mega schools and the trend has continued Putnam city(3 schools),Moore (3 schools),Edmond(3 schools),Norman (2 schools)If Lawton,Moore,Midwest City,Norman,Edmond,Putnam City had just 1 school each the Union ,Jenks dominance would be over.Broken Arrow is the third largest school in the state and they apparently underachieve.
What would Union Tuttle/Broken Arrow/Jenks Stadiums cost in todays dollars?

60mil, excuse me, but that is pretty whacked when some school districts have an operating budget of about 1/3 of that ****ing things cost.
I love football, but that is pretty ****ed up.

PLaw
4/20/2010, 03:22 PM
Plaw

but Plano has at least 3 hi-schools, & 2 of them are amoung the largest in the state.

i guess i made no point, even with 3 schools, they're still very large.

A little wet behind the ears there, texaspokieokie?? Here's a quick history lesson, PESH didn't come to be until the late '80's (I want to say '87 or '88). Until that time, Coach Kimbrough built a dynasty with the high school / senior high school model. In fact, PHS would usually graduate 1400+ kids, so you can imagine their varsity was better than most JUCO programs.

Now here's a question for those who really know their Texas HS:texan: football: Has any school in the state won the state championship in every classification (A, 2-A, 3-A, 4-A, 5-A, and 6-A). I think Plano and Southlake may be the only two to hold that claim.

Finally, Friday Night Lights could have just as easily been about the maroon and white panthers instead of the black and white panthers. I guess the oil patch crowd and Coach Gaines were just a little easier of a target for the hollywood types.

BOOMER

Curly Bill
4/20/2010, 10:23 PM
60mil, excuse me, but that is pretty whacked when some school districts have an operating budget of about 1/3 of that ****ing things cost.
I love football, but that is pretty ****ed up.

Yup.

yankee
4/20/2010, 11:28 PM
A little wet behind the ears there, texaspokieokie?? Here's a quick history lesson, PESH didn't come to be until the late '80's (I want to say '87 or '88). Until that time, Coach Kimbrough built a dynasty with the high school / senior high school model. In fact, PHS would usually graduate 1400+ kids, so you can imagine their varsity was better than most JUCO programs.

Now here's a question for those who really know their Texas HS:texan: football: Has any school in the state won the state championship in every classification (A, 2-A, 3-A, 4-A, 5-A, and 6-A). I think Plano and Southlake may be the only two to hold that claim.

Finally, Friday Night Lights could have just as easily been about the maroon and white panthers instead of the black and white panthers. I guess the oil patch crowd and Coach Gaines were just a little easier of a target for the hollywood types.

BOOMER

southlake hasn't won it in every classification btw. maybe plano, but not southlake. i know southlake has titles in at least 2A, 3A, and 5A.

texaspokieokie
4/21/2010, 02:31 PM
missing your point, what about plano west.

of all the things i am or am not, "wet behind the ears " ain't one.

texaspokieokie
4/21/2010, 05:27 PM
i don't think there is a "6a" in tejas.

Curly Bill
4/21/2010, 07:06 PM

There isn't.

PLaw
4/23/2010, 09:08 PM

UIL has considered a 6A classification and I thought briefly adopted this division in the early 90's. Fact is, they never did.

PLaw
4/23/2010, 09:28 PM
missing your point, what about plano west.

of all the things i am or am not, "wet behind the ears " ain't one.\

Point was that Kimbrough and PHS had the same system as SLC before PESH and West came into existence and he made a good living from it.

PLaw
4/23/2010, 09:42 PM
southlake hasn't won it in every classification btw. maybe plano, but not southlake. i know southlake has titles in at least 2A, 3A, and 5A.

You're right:

Plano 2A ('67), 3A ('71), 4A ('77), 5A ('86, '87)
SLC 3A ('88, '92, 93), 5A ('02, '04, '05 '06)

I couldn't find a 2A title for SLC.

bluedogok
4/23/2010, 10:42 PM
UIL has considered a 6A classification and I thought briefly adopted this division in the early 90's. Fact is, they never did.
Yep, they prefer a Division 1 and Division 2 championship for all of those classifications.