PDA

View Full Version : Rumor that Rams will Trade 1st Pick for Big Ben...

SunnySooner
4/14/2010, 02:53 PM
http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/rumor-rams-offer-no-1-draft-pick-for-roethlisberger/

By trading Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets earlier this week the Pittsburgh Steelers sent a clear message to Ben Roethlisberger… shape up or else.

Now it appears that the Steelers might be on the verge of getting rid of their troubled star as speculation regarding an out of court settlement in his sexual harassment case comes to a boil.

WPXI sports reporter John Fedeko got wind of a rumor that the St. Louis Rams offered the No. 1 overall pick in this year’s draft as well as their first-round pick next year for the troubled Steelers star.

WPXI is the Pittsburgh area NBC affiliate.

It should be noted that this is just a rumor at this point and the compensation seems awfully steep, but the Rams could certainly a top caliber quarterback.

Still, I’d chalk this one up to just rumor and don’t expect much to come of it.

Anyone heard any more about this? What do you think this would mean for Sam? Is there usually this much drama around the draft? I've never paid this much attention. Crazy.

yermom
4/14/2010, 02:59 PM
well, if that happens the Steelers would need a QB... :D

Mississippi Sooner
4/14/2010, 03:03 PM
For his own protection, I'd rather see Sam in Pittsburgh than St. Louis, but it's hard to imagine a team giving up two first round picks for Big Ben.

SunnySooner
4/14/2010, 03:04 PM
The Jaguars need one, too, they have the #9 pick, wonder if he'd last that long...

Collier11
4/14/2010, 03:09 PM
highly doubt it

Harry Beanbag
4/14/2010, 03:12 PM
Sounds like b.s. to me.

Mad Dog Madsen
4/14/2010, 03:29 PM
I hate the Steelers! :mad: Sad to say I'd rather see Sammy B in Pitt rather than STL. Prolly just a b.s. story though...

John Kochtoston
4/14/2010, 03:36 PM
Interesting, and a harken back to the old days before free agency when coaches would threaten players with trades to whichever NFL team was the backwater of the moment if they didn't shape up. Still, no way a team gives up two first-round picks for ANY NFL player, much less Big Ben.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/14/2010, 03:45 PM
NFL teams treat draft picks like gold. No way I see a team offering 2 1st round picks for BR. It would also make no sense. I mean, it's not like they bring in BR next year and they're all of a sudden in the Super Bowl. They have a lot more holes they need to fill than that.

sooner94
4/14/2010, 03:53 PM
NFL teams treat draft picks like gold. No way I see a team offering 2 1st round picks for BR. It would also make no sense. I mean, it's not like they bring in BR next year and they're all of a sudden in the Super Bowl. They have a lot more holes they need to fill than that.

I agree with this. Two 1st rounders is an expensive trade.

Plus, no team would trade a QB that has won 2 Super Bowls.

goingoneight
4/14/2010, 03:55 PM
Since when does an NFL team tell someone to straighten up if they're winning?

If this was Jamarcus Russell, I'd bet he'd be threatened to straighten up on the one-strike system. Not a guy with two Super Bowl rings.

rawlingsHOH
4/14/2010, 04:53 PM
WPXI sports reporter John Fedeko got wind of a rumor that the St. Louis Rams offered the No. 1 overall pick in this year’s draft as well as their first-round pick next year for the troubled Steelers star.

Bullsh!t!

Since71ASooner4Life
4/14/2010, 07:00 PM
Say I'm crazy, but aside from the fact that big Ben has character issues, he aint Peyton Manning. Yes, he's been a good QB, but not great.

Career stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/benroethlisberger/careerstats?id=ROE750381

Carreer QB Rating of 92 is much better than middle of the pack around the laegue last year:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bycategory?cat=Passing&sort=49

He's never been a great long passer, and if I'm not mistaken he has become quite good at fumbling in recent years.

Can Sam be successful under pressure? Can Sam take the physical pounding of the NFL? Both points have some degree of legitimate uncertainty. But does Sam have more upside potential to be great long passer - absolutely. Ben the groper on his best day never has shown Sam's accuracy.

With the percentage of #1 overall picks that do go bust I think you would have to take the "gamble" that Sam doesn't become the next Peyton Manning and make the trade straight up, but never in a million years do you give up Sam plus next year's #1.

BudSooner
4/14/2010, 07:21 PM
Say I'm crazy, but aside from the fact that big Ben has character issues, he aint Peyton Manning. Yes, he's been a good QB, but not great.

Career stats:

Carreer QB Rating of 92 is much better than middle of the pack around the laegue last year:

He's never been a great long passer, and if I'm not mistaken he has become quite good at fumbling in recent years.

Can Sam be successful under pressure? Can Sam take the physical pounding of the NFL? Both points have some degree of legitimate uncertainty. But does Sam have more upside potential to be great long passer - absolutely. Ben the groper on his best day never has shown Sam's accuracy.

With the percentage of #1 overall picks that do go bust I think you would have to take the "gamble" that Sam doesn't become the next Peyton Manning and make the trade straight up, but never in a million years do you give up Sam plus next year's #1.

Got a question, what do you base "great qb's" on? Ben has his two rings while Peyton has 1 and has been in the league alot longer than Ben.

I bet if you ask the great Dan Marino if he would trade all of his passing records for 1 super bowl ring the answer would be a resounding yes.

sooner94
4/14/2010, 07:42 PM
Bud- I agree. While Ben may not have great stats, I think he is what you would call a "gamer." Seems to play well in big games, and at critical times. The fumbling problem is because he tries to stay on his feet to make a play when he should take the sack.

I would be surprised if Pitt trades a QB with 2 SB rings. One ring could be a fluke (cough [Dilfer] cough), but I don't think 2 rings is a fluke.

On another note, I think Manning will get another ring or two before he's done, and maybe would have more with a better D earlier in his career.

sooner59
4/14/2010, 07:50 PM
It takes an entire team to win a Super Bowl. Peyton Manning is MUCH better than Ben. I have never thought Ben was that great. He is really good, but doesn't even deserve to be in the same breathe as Manning or Brady. Elway also has two rings, but Ben can't hold his jock. Marino is a classic example. One of the greatest QBs of all time. Just didn't have a Super Bowl team around him. Put Sam Bradford in Pittsburgh in place of Ben and Sam probably plays in a Super Bowl in 3-5 years. Put Sam in St. Louis or Cleveland and he won't sniff a Super Bowl in his career unless the team goes through MAJOR changes. The Rooney's know how to run a team. And I am by no means a Steeler fan.

Jdog
4/14/2010, 07:54 PM
suppose they could start Dennis Dixon

GKeeper316
4/14/2010, 08:03 PM
im selling the golden gate bridge...

pm for pricing.

sooner ngintunr
4/14/2010, 08:10 PM

Career stats:

He's also had 5 concussions. IIRC

This would be a steal of a trade for the Steelers. I really doubt that the Rams are that dumb.

Salt City Sooner
4/14/2010, 08:36 PM
Got a question, what do you base "great qb's" on? Ben has his two rings while Peyton has 1 and has been in the league alot longer than Ben.

I bet if you ask the great Dan Marino if he would trade all of his passing records for 1 super bowl ring the answer would be a resounding yes.
Give Manning the Pittsburgh D of the past 7-8 years & I'd be more than willing to wager that the New England dynasty never occurs (not saying that they wouldn't have won 1 or maybe 2, just that they wouldn't have gone to 4 in 7 years).

As for Ben himself having 2 rings, both of those years weren't anything to write home about as far as his personal performance. The thing he did best was to play game manager & just not get them beat by forcing things, play to their D, & cash in when they got good opportunities to do so. To put it in OU terms, very Hybl-esque.

SunnySooner
4/14/2010, 08:50 PM
Part of what is giving legs to this rumor is the fact that the Rooneys, who are perceived as being pretty conservative and high on personal morals, can't be happy with Ben's "baggage", and that he doesn't seem to be learning from past mistakes or in any way maturing as a man. Now whether any of this is true or will happen, who knows, but it sure seems like Ben isn't doing himself any favors in currying good will with the owners. Maybe they're just sending him the message that no one is irreplaceable.

gaylordfan1
4/14/2010, 08:56 PM
i doubt they get rid of him....

Eielson
4/14/2010, 09:10 PM
It's BS.

JLEW1818
4/14/2010, 09:10 PM
they are trading for Kurt Warner

RedstickSooner
4/15/2010, 12:14 AM
If true, this trade would be almost as stupid as the Saints giving away 30 draft picks for Ricky Williams.

Judging Ben as great because of superduperbowl rings is retarded. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. Are you also gonna tell me their long snapper is the greatest long snapper in the league because of those rings? That their second-string right tackle is the best second-string right tackle in the league because of those rings?

You judge players by how well they play. Ben has managed to not lose games for the Steelers, and that's great. Good for him. But to sit there and say, with (as far as I can tell) a straight face that he's better than Manning -- hell, even better than Little Manning -- is just silly.

The fact that someone might even start the *rumor* that he'd be worth the #1 overall pick in the draft is dumbfounding. The fact that it's St. Louis makes it sound rickdiculous, yet entirely possible. Bad teams have a way of keeping themselves bad. That's usually how they got that way in the first place.

TUSooner
4/15/2010, 10:33 AM
The thought of Sam going to a team with one of the most sack-giving-uppest O-lines in the league makes me queasy.

rawlingsHOH
4/15/2010, 10:47 AM

lol! that doesn't mean Ben is a better QB than Peyton

rawlingsHOH
4/15/2010, 10:49 AM
Bud- I agree. While Ben may not have great stats, I think he is what you would call a "gamer." Seems to play well in big games, and at critical times. The fumbling problem is because he tries to stay on his feet to make a play when he should take the sack.

I would be surprised if Pitt trades a QB with 2 SB rings. One ring could be a fluke (cough [Dilfer] cough), but I don't think 2 rings is a fluke.

On another note, I think Manning will get another ring or two before he's done, and maybe would have more with a better D earlier in his career.

The Steelers had a pretty salty 45-man roster, especially defense, for those Super Bowl wins wouldn't you say??!?!

SteelClip49
4/15/2010, 10:50 AM
I hate the Steelers! :mad: Sad to say I'd rather see Sammy B in Pitt rather than STL. Prolly just a b.s. story though...

Why hate the #1 pro football city in the league? We Steelers are dedicated, more than any other fanbase. But I do despise Roethlisberger and would enjoy very much having Bradford as our new QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rawlingsHOH
4/15/2010, 10:50 AM
Trying to follow the logic of this board....

"Dilfer sucks because everyone knew the Ravens defense won that Super Bowl"
"Roethlisberger is great because he won 2 Super Bowls"

Head is spinning!

PDXsooner
4/15/2010, 11:02 AM
Any trade you hear about beforehand you can basically chalk up as "not happening". This rings true in pretty much every sport.

sooner94
4/15/2010, 04:17 PM
Trying to follow the logic of this board....

"Dilfer sucks because everyone knew the Ravens defense won that Super Bowl"
"Roethlisberger is great because he won 2 Super Bowls"

Head is spinning!

I don't recall Dilfer making a lot of plays that year for the Ravens. He managed the game and did not make mistakes.

But I think Big Ben makes plays for the Steelers. Not saying he's Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. But he's definitely more than a game manager in my opinion.

Breadburner
4/15/2010, 05:00 PM
How many games does the big greasy groper have left in him.......

Collier11
4/15/2010, 05:05 PM
The one thing that might add a little credence to this rumor is that the Steelers are very high on Dennis Dixon, I still doubt it though

sooner94
4/15/2010, 05:53 PM
The one thing that might add a little credence to this rumor is that the Steelers are very high on Dennis Dixon, I still doubt it though

So your thinking the Steelers would use the #1 pick on Suh? Or maybe trade the pick to another team for multiple picks?

Collier11
4/15/2010, 05:54 PM
hell I dont know, if they made the trade which I dont think they will, but if they do I could still see them using it on Bradford. I dont know if they like Dixon as a future starter or if they just like him. Who knows, these drafts are so weird sometimes

rawlingsHOH
4/16/2010, 09:05 AM
I don't recall Dilfer making a lot of plays that year for the Ravens. He managed the game and did not make mistakes.

But I think Big Ben makes plays for the Steelers. Not saying he's Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. But he's definitely more than a game manager in my opinion.

point is, winning super bowls are TEAM events.

QB-A isn't a better player than QB-B just because he has a ring.

Harry Beanbag
4/16/2010, 09:27 AM
I have heard some talk that the Browns are thinking about trading up.

Collier11
4/16/2010, 12:15 PM
yea there was something about that on ESPN, didnt read it though

stoops the eternal pimp
4/16/2010, 12:20 PM
The Steelers will probably sign a exp. free agent (like Bulger), who they contacted the day he was released...

Honestly folks, teams contacting teams before the draft about trades is so common that I would guess 75 percent of the league has at least contacted the Rams about what it would take to get their pick...

Cleveland could offer a barrage of picks for that 1 because they have a bunch of them in this draft...I just don't think Holmgren wants genuinely to make that move

sooner94
4/16/2010, 12:25 PM
point is, winning super bowls are TEAM events.

QB-A isn't a better player than QB-B just because he has a ring.

But some quarterbacks are better than others, and the better quarterbacks can make their teams better.

rawlingsHOH
4/16/2010, 12:33 PM
But some quarterbacks are better than others, and the better quarterbacks can make their teams better.

and dan marino is better than both dilfer and roethlisberger.

and the only difference between kurt warner and tom brady.... brady's kicker didn't miss, warner's did.

Collier11
4/16/2010, 12:58 PM
actually the diff between Brady and Warner is that Brady is 3-1 in SBs while Warner is 1-2 :D

sooner94
4/16/2010, 01:08 PM
and dan marino is better than both dilfer and roethlisberger.

I agree 100% with that.

And all I was saying above is that Ben is better than Dilfer. Just my opinion, but I think a lot of others would agree.

Collier11
4/16/2010, 01:22 PM
Ben hasnt exactly played great in his SB wins BTW, 30/51 with 1 td and 3ints...he does have one really good throw to win a SB though

badger
4/16/2010, 01:38 PM
I love Ben's sister as an OU basketball player and all, but the Steelers missed the playoffs last year and if they're willing to part ways with an ex-Super Bowl MVP, then maybe they're ready to clean house even more.

rawlingsHOH
4/16/2010, 02:45 PM
actually the diff between Brady and Warner is that Brady is 3-1 in SBs while Warner is 1-2 :D

And if you switched kickers, Warner is 2-1 and Brady 2-2

Collier11
4/16/2010, 03:28 PM
says who...you cant say for sure that one kicker would miss in a different situation or the other would make. It is what it is, you cant change history

yermom
4/16/2010, 04:25 PM
without Vinateri, Brady might not have gotten to at least one of those games to play, and he kicked 2 or 3 game winners IN the Super Bowls they won, didn't he?

BoulderSooner79
4/16/2010, 04:44 PM
without Vinateri, Brady might not have gotten to at least one of those games to play, and he kicked 2 or 3 game winners IN the Super Bowls they won, didn't he?

That 45 yarder against the Raiders in the driving snow was the most incredible FG I can remember. I would have bet large sums of money that any kicker would have missed it. And even that wouldn't have happened without the most liberal interpretation on record of the "tuck rule". No knock on Brady, but the wind was definitely at his back at the start of his career - not so much lately.

sooner94
4/16/2010, 05:47 PM
That 45 yarder against the Raiders in the driving snow was the most incredible FG I can remember. I would have bet large sums of money that any kicker would have missed it. And even that wouldn't have happened without the most liberal interpretation on record of the "tuck rule". No knock on Brady, but the wind was definitely at his back at the start of his career - not so much lately.

You don't consider being married to a supermodel that once had the nickname "Boobs from Brazil" to be a little wind at the back?;)

Maybe not on the football field, but still.

DakotaSooner
4/16/2010, 10:11 PM
It takes an entire team to win a Super Bowl. Peyton Manning is MUCH better than Ben. I have never thought Ben was that great. He is really good, but doesn't even deserve to be in the same breathe as Manning or Brady. Elway also has two rings, but Ben can't hold his jock. Marino is a classic example. One of the greatest QBs of all time. Just didn't have a Super Bowl team around him. Put Sam Bradford in Pittsburgh in place of Ben and Sam probably plays in a Super Bowl in 3-5 years. Put Sam in St. Louis or Cleveland and he won't sniff a Super Bowl in his career unless the team goes through MAJOR changes. The Rooney's know how to run a team. And I am by no means a Steeler fan.

Ditto, Ben had to play more not to lose the game than to win it.

BoulderSooner79
4/17/2010, 10:04 AM
You don't consider being married to a supermodel that once had the nickname "Boobs from Brazil" to be a little wind at the back?;)

Maybe not on the football field, but still.

Yes, but much like his luck on the football field, those boobs will eventually head south. :)

Since71ASooner4Life
4/17/2010, 10:17 AM
What I'm really interested to see is whether our Detroit Lions can manage to screw up the 2nd pick of this draft in honor of that outstanding general manager Matt Millen who was paid 5 million/year to destroy the organization. It seems impossible given that they could put Suh, McCoy, and Bradfords names on a dart board and go at it blindly. Watch the idiots take an OL

Jacie
4/17/2010, 10:56 AM
Yes, but much like his luck on the football field, those boobs will eventually head south. :)

When that happens she can always pay a visit to Dr. 90210 . . .

IronHorseSooner
4/17/2010, 11:01 AM
What I'm really interested to see is whether our Detroit Lions can manage to screw up the 2nd pick of this draft in honor of that outstanding general manager Matt Millen who was paid 5 million/year to destroy the organization. It seems impossible given that they could put Suh, McCoy, and Bradfords names on a dart board and go at it blindly. Watch the idiots take an OL

Some believe that they will take Okung, just sayin'.

misplacedsooner
4/17/2010, 02:07 PM
im one of those die hard fans...its been a rough ride...most of my life,lol.
that said suh is my pick at 2 but i wouldnt complain if big g was the pick. berry would be great also to go with delmus but i dont think taking a safety with the 2nd pick is the way to go. there has been talk of trading down but i dont like that. the d-line will look nice with suh or big g in the middle and kvb on the outside, as bad as our d-backs have been that would make them look a little better for sure, it tends to hurt when a qb has all day to throw with little to no pressure.
my take on the lions
2. suh
34. patrick robinson, cb, maybe the best corner
66. toby gerhardt, we know him
98. brandon spikes, mlb, falling hard from bad combine but the dude can play
213. ramon harewood,og, moorehouse st. 353 lb. raw but worth a risk here
214 sam sheilds, cb, miami, former wr but has the tools and speed to do it.
255. trinton holliday, return man, the dude can fly and very elusive. someone that could make a difference in the return game this late you gotta take a chance on.

rawlingsHOH
4/17/2010, 03:27 PM
says who...you cant say for sure that one kicker would miss in a different situation or the other would make. It is what it is, you cant change history

yep, it is a whole lot of luck

Collier11
4/17/2010, 09:19 PM
in the NFL it is more skill than luck

rawlingsHOH
4/18/2010, 08:59 PM
unless Tom BRady is the guy that drafted Adam Vinatieri, he can consider himself fortunate/lucky to play alongside one of the clutchest kickers ever, and vice versa

Collier11
4/18/2010, 09:12 PM
Thats Vinatieris job in the NFL, to make kicks...I would imagine Brady or any QB who has had the benefit of a clutch kicker would feel fortunate, I highly doubt he feels lucky

BoulderSooner79
4/19/2010, 12:15 AM
And since Vinatieri moved to the Colts, Brady lost the SB when he has one of the best teams ever, blew out his knee and missed a season and lost in the 1st round of the playoff last year. Tom should have tied the knot with Adam instead of one of those arm-candy super models.
:eek: