PDA

View Full Version : here is a good read, worth reading

JLEW1818
4/12/2010, 06:26 PM
the reason I'm posting is b/c it talks about OU.

if posted merge

Here's this week's mailbag. Also, just a reminder, if you want to send questions, feel free to do so via @BFeldmanESPN on Twitter.

From Jspont (via Twitter): What would a non-BCS school have to do to find itself in a National Championship game? Let's use the TCU Horned Frogs or Boise State Broncos as examples.

For all of the strides the likes of Boise, TCU and Utah have made in the past five years -- and I do believe it has had to be a collective effort to some degree (when Utah handles Alabama, it's also a win for Boise, for example, just like when UGA pounded Hawaii, it was a big blow to the BSU/TCU/Utah group) -- they still are down on the pecking order. They can't have a combination of two unbeatens from most of the power conferences in their way. They need to have one-loss conference champs almost across the board.

We can talk about how Boise will open up in the preseason top six or so, and how advantageous that is. No doubt it is a better spot than the Broncos have ever been before to start a season. Plus, they can win points with pollsters by going to the East Coast and beating the Virginia Tech Hokies.

The downside is there is still the likelihood of the Broncos getting leapfrogged by teams beneath them with stronger schedules. Alabama will start the season at No. 1, most likely. If the Tide run the table, they're going to the BCS title game. However, let's talk about the LSU Tigers, who probably open somewhere between No. 11 and No. 20 in the preseason. If they have a great year and go undefeated -- which would include beating Alabama at LSU -- then they're going to jump a lot of teams. Florida would, too. Anyone in the SEC would, in theory, if they have a great season.

The Miami (FL) Hurricanes could open the season at No. 10, beneath the Broncos. If Miami goes to Columbus and beats the Ohio State Buckeyes (who will open even higher than BSU in the polls, maybe in the top three) and later in the season beats the same Va. Tech team that BSU would have beaten, only it wouldn't have been a home game, Miami's going to be ahead of Boise, too. And, I think there are a lot of possibilities of teams with the potential -- or teams that, in the dreaded draft term, "have higher ceilings" -- to jump Boise no matter how much higher the Broncos are in the preseason.

Oklahoma is an interesting test case. I don't think OU opens as high as Boise will, and I'm not sure the Sooners have an opponent that will come into its game against OU ranked higher than VT will be when it faces Boise. However, the Sooners do face a potentially strong Florida State Seminoles team and visit a Cincinnati Bearcats team that just went to a BCS bowl, plus they also play a solid MWC team in the Air Force Falcons, in addition to the annual Red River game with the Texas Longhorns and most of the rest of the Big 12, which would include a league title game. It is a much tougher road. My hunch is OU would jump them, too.

A big key for Boise ultimately is going to be what happens to Va. Tech after a loss to the Broncos (assuming of course the Hokies do lose). Va. Tech would need to win the ACC or else it's going to devalue the win to some degree. Is this fair or right?

This is the trouble with playing in a conference that doesn't have other top-50 teams in it.

TCU's situation is different. The Horned Frogs play in a conference (MWC) that gets more respect amongst pollsters. The tricky part for them is their toughest nonconference opponent figures to be the Oregon State Beavers in Texas. The Beavers may open in the low 20s. They're a good team, but not deemed a powerhouse. Unless the Beavers go on to win the Pac-10, I don't think that's going to be a big enough chip to trump what an unbeaten from almost any BCS conference would tout. TCU also needs to beat Baylor and then have BU to go to have a big season and win eight or nine games.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/blog?name=feldman_bruce&id=5069919&addata=2009_insdr_mod_front_xxx_xxx&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2fblog%3fname%3dfeldman_bruce%26id%3d5069919%26ad data%3d2009_insdr_mod_front_xxx_xxx

OK2U
4/12/2010, 07:36 PM
Once again, a brutal schedule awaits us.
Can't help but wonder if its worth it anymore given that SOS hardly factors into the BCS equations.
* whips up on a bunch of cream puffs and goes to the title game, albeit loses.

Crucifax Autumn
4/12/2010, 07:51 PM
Our brutal schedule is our friend and has been for quite some time now.

JLEW1818
4/12/2010, 08:01 PM
2008, was all about pre-conference schedule

IronHorseSooner
4/12/2010, 11:45 PM
2008, was all about pre-conference schedule

^^Right here! That's why we got it over * and Tech, and that was with U-Dub not winning a game and Chattanooga. This is what makes us different than most teams. Some other teams maybe schedule one tough game, but 2 or 3 in a non-con is unheard of these days, unless you are a team looking to make a name for yourself like Fresno State often does.

KantoSooner
4/13/2010, 08:58 AM
I'd far rather play tough scheds than try to weasel into a good record.

gaylordfan1
4/13/2010, 09:02 AM
Stoops and his balls of steel will not allow OU to have a patsy schedule.

NOVSooner
4/13/2010, 09:44 AM
Once again, a brutal schedule awaits us.
Can't help but wonder if its worth it anymore given that SOS hardly factors into the BCS equations.
* whips up on a bunch of cream puffs and goes to the title game, albeit loses.

if we did schedule "cream puffs" we'd be on the same standard as *, so let's keep scheduling like we are, if for no other reason than to be above * scheduling standards

MrJimBeam
4/13/2010, 10:55 AM
Nubraska's non-con-sched: Western Kentucky, Idaho, Washington, South Dakota State.

I prefer ours.

MI Sooner
4/14/2010, 11:09 AM
I think we obviously try harder than many to schedule legit OOC competition, especially in the coming years.

But can anyone tell me the number of ranked* OOC (non-bowl) opponents we faced in Stoops first 10 seasons (1999-2008)?

If I remember my 2009 Phil Steele CFB Preview correctly, the answer is 2. Oregon when we got jobbed and TCU in 2008. I don't think either was in the top 15, maybe not even top 20. Granted some schools, like TCU in other years or Cinci in 2008 went on to be ranked after we played them. And we've also scheduled Miami, Bama, ND and some other teams when they happened to be down. So that's not really our fault, but still, I found it shocking.

Looking back at the Big 8 days, we regularly played two top 10 teams OOC, like Texas/USC or Texas/Ohio St.

*Ranked = ranked at the time.

yermom
4/14/2010, 11:41 AM
^^Right here! That's why we got it over * and Tech, and that was with U-Dub not winning a game and Chattanooga. This is what makes us different than most teams. Some other teams maybe schedule one tough game, but 2 or 3 in a non-con is unheard of these days, unless you are a team looking to make a name for yourself like Fresno State often does.

the key to 2008 was that we lost first

if Texas opened the conference schedule with a loss to Tech, then beat us, i think we would have been screwed

beating a ranked OSU late didn't hurt either though

goingoneight
4/14/2010, 12:15 PM
I give props to BSU for beating us in the Fiesta Bowl... but let's back away from the pipe a minute.

Even all BCS losses considered... we're NOT the same team that eeked their way into that Fiesta Bowl and who knows if they're as good or better than 2006 BSU? Bottom line is, give me BSU's schedule and the only game I could see being competitive is the VT game. We've seen a nice run by BSU of beating BCS teams, but a bad Washington team or a mediocre Oregon team is not the same thing as Florida State, Cincinnati, Texas, A&M, Tech, OSU, etc. The schedules don't compare at all. As long as we have this crappy system, the toughest road to the BCS deserves the bid if it's accomplished (see: 2008). Us losing to the best team in the country IN GATOR TERRITORY with several chances to win is not the same thing as Texas eeking past a mediocre Ohio State team in the waning moments. The BCS losses prove nothing... they're all different teams who lost for a number of different reasons against different opponents, different venues, you get the point.

If we win out, there better damn well be two ridiculously tough opponents with riduculously tough schedules who get the bid ahead of us and they better win out, too. I hate Tejas, but I wouldn't put an undefeated Boise State in the MNC over a Tejas team like the one in 2008 that stubled last-second against a top-five team on the road. However I would put a team with a stronger resume ahead of said Texas team. Same thing if the tables were turned. If FSU, AFA and Cincinnati end up stinking it up and for some odd reason another 2008 scenario played out and Texas's OOC scedule was dominating all season long outside of being woodshedded by Texas, I'd cringe, vomit some and vote them in ahead of us.

If we're going to just vote and crunch numbers, we'd save a lot of injuries to just go ahead and play the BCS Championship on Playstation as well... since computers and numbers decide everything that's right better than proof.

^^^ There's your "great system," BCS lovers.

OR... we could do this...

Conference champions of major BCS conferences (6 teams) and two "at-large" bids (to make the Notre Lames and Boise States happy... but you have to be undefeated to qualify for this "at-large" bid). If theres no Cinderella, take the two highest-ranked teams not already in the conference champions pool and...

Play football... on a field. What we got versus what you got. Play it out, see what happens. Winner takes the cake.