PDA

View Full Version : Ever sit down and watch a movie...

Okla-homey
4/12/2010, 05:28 PM
everyone on the planet saw years ago, but you haven't, so you watch it in order to see what you've missed?

I had, Actually my wife and I had never sat down and watched "The Matrix." Until last Friday night.

Good flick. Intriguing plot. Kinda dated already since none of the video screens were flat, and the mobile phones were the size of small bricks. But entertaining nonetheless. I thought it interesting the head bad guy was the elf king d00d (Liv Tyler's dad) from LOTR.

We may watch the sequal next weekend.

"The Matrix" is a fiction. I think. If not, how does it feel to be a battery? As in Duracell? :D

GottaHavePride
4/12/2010, 05:39 PM
Matrix 1 and 2 were pretty good. Matrix 3 = Godfather Part 3.

GKeeper316
4/12/2010, 05:58 PM
Matrix 1 and 2 were pretty good. Matrix 3 = Godfather Part 3.

only if you're not a manga fan.

manga stories dont always end the way a western "fairy tale' story ends. the good guy doesnt always beat the bad guy and the world isnt righted again at the end.

GottaHavePride
4/12/2010, 06:08 PM
Nah, I just meant the overboard Neo = Jesus allegory that they beat you over the head with through the entire third movie. It got to be a little much.

royalfan5
4/12/2010, 06:21 PM
I felt that way when I finally watched Dumb and Dumber last summer.

GKeeper316
4/12/2010, 06:49 PM
Nah, I just meant the overboard Neo = Jesus allegory that they beat you over the head with through the entire third movie. It got to be a little much.

well in a future world with no religion, wouldnt it be expected that a new messiah type myth/legend would arise?

PrideTrombone
4/12/2010, 08:04 PM
Finally watched Gangs of New York a couple weeks ago. Big fan of Daniel Day-Lewis in it.

Crucifax Autumn
4/12/2010, 08:10 PM
I only really liked the first one and felt that it was the weaker of the 3 films that came out around the same time based on very similar themes.

Curly Bill
4/12/2010, 09:07 PM
I watched Lonesome Dove only a coupla years ago. Damn, what I'd missed out on up until then.

jkjsooner
4/12/2010, 09:20 PM
I only really liked the first one and felt that it was the weaker of the 3 films that came out around the same time based on very similar themes.

I'm guessing The Thirteenth Floor is one of them. What's the other?

Frozen Sooner
4/12/2010, 10:16 PM
Watched Gran Torino for the first time a couple of days ago. Liked it.
The Paper Chase over the Christmas break. Decent. The main character is a whiny ****.

And did someone seriously just defend Matrix: Revolutions by saying that people don't get manga?

JohnnyMack
4/12/2010, 10:27 PM
And did someone seriously just defend Matrix: Revolutions by saying that people don't get manga?

So THIS is what it takes to rattle Froze's chain nowadays. :D

Collier11
4/12/2010, 10:34 PM
I finally watched Boiler room the other night after owning it for 3 years, good flick

Tulsa_Fireman
4/12/2010, 10:48 PM
Good thing I got this Bootie Sweat back in Da Nang...

Frozen Sooner
4/12/2010, 10:50 PM
So THIS is what it takes to rattle Froze's chain nowadays. :D

Pretty much. This place is Mos Eisley anymore.

Crucifax Autumn
4/12/2010, 11:27 PM
I'm guessing The Thirteenth Floor is one of them. What's the other?

Dark City...Totally mismarketed movie that got overlooked by the audience that would have appreciated it.

GKeeper316
4/12/2010, 11:33 PM

ya. me.

and ill do it some more.

everyone ive ever talked to that didnt like the way the matrix ended also weren't manga fans.

the way drama is laid out in western stories (movies, plays, etc.) is generally 3 acts. act 1 = introduce characters. act 2 = put characters in seemingly hopeless situation in which deep character development and insight into psyche occurs. act 3 = characters overcome said insurmountable odds and triumph over evil, saving the mother****ing day and bringing themselves and whatever setting they are in into a new day free from whatever shackles they were living under/fighting against.

now enter the end of the matrix trilogy. neo sacrifices himself not to destroy all the evil robots, but to keep them from annihilating zion and forcing the inevitable rebuilding of the human race almost from scratch.

western style storytelling would generally dictate that neo's sacrifice should result in the destruction of the robots and the freedom of all the humans that were being kept hooked up to the matrix bringing a new dawn in human evolution. this didnt happen. all neo gained was that zion lived to fight another day.

most westerners, used to thier happy happy joy joy fairy tale endings, hated this ending because it didnt make them feel very good, and most left the theater angry because they were denied the all encompasing "we win" ending that they're used to.

GKeeper316
4/12/2010, 11:35 PM
Dark City...Totally mismarketed movie that got overlooked by the audience that would have appreciated it.

dark city was one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. rufus sewell (who is often typecast as the bad guy) gave an outstanding performance and the twists and turns that story takes... well... its definately worth an hour and a half out of your life to watch it imo.

Crucifax Autumn
4/12/2010, 11:38 PM
I didn't mind the end...It was the movie leading up to it that got on my nerves.

yermom
4/12/2010, 11:39 PM
ya. me.

and ill do it some more.

everyone ive ever talked to that didnt like the way the matrix ended also weren't manga fans.

the way drama is laid out in western stories (movies, plays, etc.) is generally 3 acts. act 1 = introduce characters. act 2 = put characters in seemingly hopeless situation in which deep character development and insight into psyche occurs. act 3 = characters overcome said insurmountable odds and triumph over evil, saving the mother****ing day and bringing themselves and whatever setting they are in into a new day free from whatever shackles they were living under/fighting against.

now enter the end of the matrix trilogy. neo sacrifices himself not to destroy all the evil robots, but to keep them from annihilating zion and forcing the inevitable rebuilding of the human race almost from scratch.

western style storytelling would generally dictate that neo's sacrifice should result in the destruction of the robots and the freedom of all the humans that were being kept hooked up to the matrix bringing a new dawn in human evolution. this didnt happen. all neo gained was that zion lived to fight another day.

most westerners, used to thier happy happy joy joy fairy tale endings, hated this ending because it didnt make them feel very good, and most left the theater angry because they were denied the all encompasing "we win" ending that they're used to.

nope, sorry.

Homey, do yourself a favor and pretend they only made 1 movie. kinda like there are only 3 Star Wars movies

Frozen Sooner
4/12/2010, 11:46 PM
ya. me.

and ill do it some more.

Thanks for the lesson in why I didn't like the movie. I thought I didn't like it because it featured terrible storytelling, weak dialogue, and contained plot-holes that I could drive an Abrams tank through. Who knew it was because I don't watch/read Japanese cartoons/comic books? No, I'm not going to encapsulate the plot holes for you, because it's been several years since I saw the movie.

I recognize you think it was a good movie. I'm still going to giggle at you a little for thinking that it was a good movie, just as you sneer at those who don't.

Sneer's probably a little harsh, so sorry for that. I'm not going to expend any effort to come up with a better, more neutral word.

And for the record, I thought the ending was the strongest part of the movie. :D I liked that it wasn't happy-happy joy-joy. I just didn't think the movie was made well.

GKeeper316
4/12/2010, 11:48 PM
nope, sorry.

Homey, do yourself a favor and pretend they only made 1 movie. kinda like there are only 3 Star Wars movies

i place revenge of the sith over return of the jedi, personally.

i ****ing hated ewoks.

yermom
4/12/2010, 11:50 PM
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!11!1

Crucifax Autumn
4/13/2010, 12:11 AM
Everyone knows Empire is far and away the best of them all.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/13/2010, 12:23 AM
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/upload/2007/08/ogre01.jpg

NERRRRRRRRDS!!!

Crucifax Autumn
4/13/2010, 12:24 AM
I know I'm a nerd, but I'm the coolest mother****in' nerd EVER!!!!!!

GKeeper316
4/13/2010, 12:32 AM

tru dat.

muppet yoda is still the best yoda ever. boba fett, han ends up in carbonite in jabba's palace, luke loses his hand, finds out vader's his father and leia's his twin.

and mr. colt 45 himself, billy dee williams!

Crucifax Autumn
4/13/2010, 12:34 AM
And, in sticking with the Matrix conversation, it ends on a down note as opposed to having everything end up all happy-crappy.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/13/2010, 12:40 AM
There's been an official announcement from Japan Manga Headquarters.

From this moment forward, no longer will it be called "manga".

It will be known as...

MANGAY

GottaHavePride
4/13/2010, 12:57 AM
1. I didn't have a problem with the ending of Matrix 3. That was fine. Oh, byt the way...

LOOK OUT HOMEY, TEH SPOILERZ!

Anyway, the way they got there annoyed me. I mean, even at the end, Neo being carried off in a blaze of light that just happens to flare out into a cross? I mean, it's like the Wachowski brothers showed up, clubbed you over the head like Homey the Clown while shouting "OMG! He's teh Jeebus! See? We even crucified him! Do you morons get the allegory???!!!?!111" It was too un-subtle for my taste.

So, to sum up, I don't have a beef with HOW it ended. I just didn't like the lack of subtlety. It's like the difference between Maynard Ferguson and Dizzy Gillespie.

2. I thought Dark City kicked serious ***. Anyone else notice that the only major chord in the entire freaking soundtrack happens when he turns the city to face the light? Freaking amazing score for that movie.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/13/2010, 12:59 AM
Isn't that a Michael Bay film?

Crucifax Autumn
4/13/2010, 01:06 AM
Isn't that a Michael Bay film?

Alex Proyas actually, as in the dude that made The Crow and later butchered I, Robot and made that abomination Knowing.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/13/2010, 02:05 AM
Needs more explosions.

Crucifax Autumn
4/13/2010, 02:15 AM
If Bay had made the movie the "city" would have started exploding about 5 minutes in and kept going until the end credits and there wouldn't have been any of that silly plot and characterization crap.

BudSooner
4/13/2010, 10:35 AM
Good find there...I watched that many years ago and still enjoy it to this day.

yermom
4/13/2010, 10:40 AM

blasphemy.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/13/2010, 10:41 AM
Everyone knows Steve McQueen would kick the asses of the entire cast of Star Wars.

Even with their magic blood juju.

John Kochtoston
4/13/2010, 12:20 PM
The Paper Chase over the Christmas break. Decent. The main character is a whiny ****.

Not to mention a jock-sniffer of the first order. I'd call him a kiss-***, but since Kingsfield never lets him kiss his ***, it wouldn't be correct. The scene in the elevator at the end is great, though.

Frozen Sooner
4/13/2010, 12:59 PM
Not to mention a jock-sniffer of the first order. I'd call him a kiss-***, but since Kingsfield never lets him kiss his ***, it wouldn't be correct. The scene in the elevator at the end is great, though.

Good point. Seriously, though, who gets the dry heaves over being cut up on the first day of class? Big f-in deal.

On the other hand, he gets some sweet professor daughter nookie.

NormanPride
4/13/2010, 01:27 PM
I read tons of manga. The third movie sucked donkey balls.

And Dark City was pretty dang good. It was a different approach to the subject than the Matrix, IMO... More cerebral and intense than exciting.

yermom
4/13/2010, 01:31 PM
i keep meaning to see Dark City, it just hasn't happened

OU Adonis
4/13/2010, 02:06 PM

Is that a pR0n Movie?

Collier11
4/13/2010, 02:12 PM
no, its a racist movie

Crucifax Autumn
4/13/2010, 02:42 PM
I think he was mixing it up with Dark Titty

yermom
4/13/2010, 05:11 PM
Chocolate City?

Jacie
4/13/2010, 06:00 PM
I think he was mixing it up with Dark Titty

A Tale of Two Titties . . .

soonerboomer93
4/14/2010, 12:02 PM

this