PDA

View Full Version : Outlook next year for Sherri's guys

stoopified
4/11/2010, 12:03 PM
I would point out to both badger(and Sherri,if she is online) that I did NOT use the dreaded L word referring to Sherri's guys.I am curious what anyone views next season and how this team fares with the loss of three key seniors in Olajawon,Thompson,Stevenson.I know we return DRob,Whitney,Jasmine,Joanna in terms of contributors off this team. I know that there are currently 5 incoming frosh- Jeffcoat 6'2 F, Ellenberg 5'7 PG ,Hook 5'10 G,Yancey 5'8 G,Griffin 6'6 C.I have no idea how good any of these guys are,but I have heard that Sherri has a Top 10 class.I have no idea if we can or will add any additional players come signing day.

Based purely on Sherri's track record as coach,the returning talent and the PERCEPTION of talent level coming in ,I think we can finish in the top four of the Big 12 and once again make a run in THE DANCE.Given how badly relying on simply PERCEPTION of talent level backfired on Capel and crew this year, bears notice that nothing is certain.

Does antone else have any insight on the recruiting classcoming in ?Possible additions? Speculation on next year?

badger
4/12/2010, 09:05 AM
It should be said that womens basketball recruiting is a lot different than mens.

In mens, players want the ability to go pro. First and foremost? For many, yes. Other reasons, often secondary, include getting an education and just out of love for the program or the school.

In womens basketball, it is the complete opposite. Pro players get a measly $30k their rookie seasons for the WNBA. Yawn. Thus, getting a good education and going to a program you are going to enjoy for four years (yes, four, cuz unless you plan to play in Botswana, you aren't going to be eligible for the WNBA till you're four years in) is important.

I would say that based on how many hugs Sherri gave out on national television, how much fun the players looked like they were having and all the times they mentioned Whitney Hand being involved despite being injured bodes well for recruiting very nicely.

However, don't pay attention to recruiting rankings. Most of our players are not highly sought. Sherri almost seems to ignore recruiting sites and goes straight for players that fit her program - players that are driven to improve, succeed and yes, get a diploma.

You could say that recruiting rankings are to Sherri what the word "Lady" is in front of "Sooners:" An unnecessity that should be avoided. For you mens fans out there, you've seen what going after top recruits did to Kelvin and Jeff Jeff. Some success, but a lot of transfers, headaches and NCAA inquiries. Groan. Gag. Sigh. Gahhhhh.

NormanPride
4/12/2010, 10:44 AM
Sherri does what she needs. She gets girls that fit what she wants out of her team, and every once in awhile that's someone amazing. Otherwise, we have kids that want to work, win the Big 12, and compete on the national level. I couldn't be happier.

badger
4/12/2010, 10:53 AM
I would definitely be happier with a national title :mad:

:P Just kidding. It'll come eventually.

Eielson
4/12/2010, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty sure she has brought in a lot of big-time recruits. I know some of them have come out of nowhere, but every school in the country was after people like the Paris sisters.

badger
4/12/2010, 07:57 PM
I think CP3 was our first and only 1-ranked recruit. I think sister Ashley was in the top 5 as well that class.

Amanda Thompson was also a top-5 recruit. Other than those three, I don't think we've had any that cracked the top 30 in any class.

caesarscott
4/12/2010, 11:31 PM
:P Just kidding. It'll come eventually.they say the same thing on the North side of Chicago and have for 100 years.

badger
4/13/2010, 11:51 AM
they say the same thing on the North side of Chicago and have for 100 years.

Well, now that you got Tribune Corp outta the way and all would-be Steve Bartmans are notice, you might, just might, get another run during the next 100 years :D

While nat'l championships are nice in collegiate sports, you can have successful seasons without em. Big 12 tourney and conference championships, downing nets at postseason tourney sites, individual awards and diplomas, you name it, there's a lot of success to be had in college that isn't shared in the pros.

Pro fan: The team's payroll is $250 million per year, so you should be winning a championship every year!

College fan: Beat our rival! Beat our rival! BEAT OUR RIVAL!