PDA

View Full Version : Who shows up and makes a name....

gaylordfan1
4/11/2010, 01:51 AM
for themselves in the scrimmage?

Will it be someone from the oline, WR, RB, or on the defensive side of the ball?

I'm going with Stills, Calhoun, Wort, and M. Trice... May a little bit of Jefferson at safety. Any thoughts? Jefferson may be the R. Lewis of last year on special teams.

yankee
4/11/2010, 01:52 AM
jaz reynolds for the O.
ronnell lewis for the D.

gaylordfan1
4/11/2010, 01:55 AM
I'm hoping Jaz fills the shoes of Manny J. I want to see him progress after the catch. We didn't see that last year... But, I think he has it in him.

Chiliman
4/11/2010, 01:23 PM
Box and Carter have been having very good springs.

oudavid1
4/11/2010, 10:53 PM
jaz reynolds for the O.
ronnell lewis for the D.

I picked Jaz az break out player of the year

OK2U
4/11/2010, 11:05 PM
Gabe Lynn

gaylordfan1
4/12/2010, 08:03 AM
Is Gabe working out with the corners? I thought he was originally a safety. The safety position seems pretty much locked with Carter and Nelson/Procter... CB will be wide open for who ever wants to step up. I'm hoping its Hurst and Trice.

soonerloyal
4/12/2010, 08:06 AM
Depends. Anyone else gonna pull something stupid and have to visit the Cleveland County Courthouse before Saturday?

*grumbling*

...sooner
4/12/2010, 08:24 AM
Jaz! i think hes going to be reallly good. or Hurst i like him too! eeek i cant wait.

KantoSooner
4/12/2010, 09:10 AM
Calhoun.

Crucifax Autumn
4/12/2010, 09:51 AM
I get the feeling this is gonna be one of those seasons where a ton of guys make their name heard loudly.

madillsoonerfan5353
4/12/2010, 01:49 PM
I think J-mac and Wort on D!

Madu and th o-line!

BillyBall
4/12/2010, 02:14 PM
I think J-mac and Wort on D!

Madu and th o-line!

Who knows, Madu may end up on the o-line before the scrimmage is over.

KantoSooner
4/12/2010, 03:09 PM
Who knows, Madu may end up on the o-line before the scrimmage is over.

That's not funny.

No, wait. Yes it is.

goingoneight
4/12/2010, 05:09 PM
DeJuan Miller or Ryan Broyles IMO will deliver the biggest plays of the day, unless they're only out there for decoration like AD and his blue-numered jersey days.

HBick
4/12/2010, 08:06 PM
jaz reynolds for the O.
ronnell lewis for the D.

my hope is chaisson

gaylordfan1
4/13/2010, 08:52 AM
DeJuan Miller or Ryan Broyles IMO will deliver the biggest plays of the day, unless they're only out there for decoration like AD and his blue-numered jersey days.

I bet Broyles is in for the first couple of series and then is out for the rest of the day. D. Miller will prob be in there for most of the day... along with all the other Wr's, trying to find a rotation that works. I think the oline will be the focus for the day... tying to open up the running game and see how Calhoun and Madu do. I'm anxious to see how the defense looks... the DT's.... the LB's and the CB's. I think our safeties are solid.

gaylordfan1
4/13/2010, 08:56 AM
I'm praying that Stills is the type of frosh that will come in and make an impact during the season... a yards after catch type. I will have my eye on him every time he's on the field.

IronHorseSooner
4/13/2010, 10:34 AM
Patty O'Hara! Seriously, we need him to show up big time.

On the offense, it all comes down to the OL.
On the defense, Demontre Hurst.

...sooner
4/13/2010, 10:51 AM

dag how did i forgot about the kicking game! man i HOPE its o'hara or stevens or ANYONE that can kick.

SoonerBigD
4/13/2010, 10:59 AM

I see Patty having a helluva year. You don't typically think of kickers as gym rats, but the man is dedicated and kicking some tail. He's put on some serious muscle this off-season.

w0lfe
4/13/2010, 11:42 AM
My hope is Landry!

Soonerntxs
4/13/2010, 02:57 PM
CAN U SAY WORT

and then for the "O" lets hear it for Mr. Jones!

KantoSooner
4/13/2010, 04:05 PM
WORT!

mightysooner
4/16/2010, 05:00 PM
Better be the O-line.

DakotaSooner
4/16/2010, 10:14 PM
Calhoun.

I think he may get caught up in the wash with the other players. I think he is good but there are a lot of players at RB. I think Miller is going to have a good year.

gaylordfan1
4/16/2010, 11:32 PM
I think he may get caught up in the wash with the other players. I think he is good but there are a lot of players at RB. I think Miller is going to have a good year.

I disagree. Besides, I don't think Miller is going to see the field much this season because of his injury. I have heard talk of him redshirting. Calhoun is a good back. Now, we really haven't had the pleasure to see him in action except for mop up duty. But, there is a strong buzz going around that he has had a great spring. I read that he is a little banged up... I think an ankle or something, so his spring game may be a little reserved.

gaylordfan1
4/16/2010, 11:42 PM
Stills all the way!

HillbillyRay
4/17/2010, 07:48 AM
Stills, Calhoun, Wort

birddog
4/17/2010, 08:33 AM
OU football: Is it Madu’s time?
Posted by berrytramelon April 16, 2010M at 8:16 am Mossis Madu has waited his turn. That doesn’t mean he will flourish in his fifth and final OU football season .

“Just because it’s your time doesn’t mean you’re going to play,” said Sooner tailback coach Cale Gundy. “You’ve got to earn your spot.”

I’m pulling for Madu. I pull for guys who stick it out. Guys who keep working and keep fighting. Guys who don’t give in to discouragement. Guys who don’t play much but find the spotlight as seniors.

Linebacker Clint Ingram was that player in 2005. Paul Thompson quarterbacked OU to the 2006 Big 12 title after making just one start previous. Flanker Quentin Chaney shined in 2008 after a nondescript career.

Maybe Madu – stuck behind Allen Patrick, DeMarco Murray and Chris Brown since hitting campus – will be that man in 2010.

Murray, if he stays healthy, will be the featured tailback. But the Sooners always use more than one runner. Jermie Calhoun, Madu and the currently-injured Jonathan Miller are the candidates to be Murray’s sidekick.

Madu and Calhoun will be on display Saturday in OU’s spring game. Madu seemed to be headed for the spotlight. He ran 40 times for 232 yards and two touchdowns as a redshirt freshman in 2007, then gained 475 yards on 115 carries with six TDs as a sophomore, including a 114-yard, three-touchdown game against Missouri in the 2008 Big 12 title game.

But last season, Madu shifted to receiver and didn’t play much. He had just five carries (gained 117 yards) and seven catches.

Now he’s trying to be the No. 2 tailback, which in recent years at OU has meant a ton of carries.

“We would like for him to be that guy,” Gundy said. “Not everybody can play football at Oklahoma. Not everybody can start for Oklahoma. Not everybody can get on the field at Oklahoma.

“You gotta find your spot. You gotta find your niche. There is a place for him. Hopefully, he’ll accept that.

He’s got a good attitude. He works at it. He’s a guy, when he’s had his opportunities, he’s done well. He’s got to continue to work.”

Madu talks like a guy who knows he won’t get playing time by seniority.

“It all depends on how I come out and practice,” Madu said. “Coach Gundy said we’ve got to earn a spot, day after day, practicing hard.”

Many college athletes don’t accept such a fate. Many transfer when playing time doesn’t come early in their career.

Why didn’t Madu go elsewhere?

“I really don’t know what to tell you,” Madu said. “That’s a real good question. Sometimes, I wonder how I was so patient.”

But he says he’s glad he stayed, that “a lot of good things have happened to me. The people I’ve met here, they’re like my brothers.”

Madu is scheduled to graduate in December with a degree in human relations.

OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables admires the players who persevere.

“I really have a special place for those guys,” Venables said. “Very unselfish players. Guys that leave a special legacy.

“If you stay, buy in, you’ll contribute. Usually you get a guy you wish you had for another year. It’s about fulfilling a commitment. Keep working hard, paying a price. It pays off. You don’t see it much. Everybody gets antsy.

“Nobody has patience. Kids don’t. Parents don’t. Fans don’t.”

Said Bob Stoops, “In today’s world, everybody wants instant gratification or whatever you want to call it. Competing at this level, only 11 guys can play at once.”

Stoops recommends that any player dealing with discouragement talk to Ingram, who has spent four years with the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars.

“He still comes back,” Stoops said. “Loves every day he was here. It took awhile to contribute, but he loved every day he was here.”

yankee
4/17/2010, 08:59 AM
...the rain. :mad: