PDA

View Full Version : ok so im looking for a new project...

GKeeper316
4/11/2010, 12:03 AM
and decided on a late 60s camaro rebuild.

went to ebay and found this... im just wondering if its worth it. located in oklahoma no engine, transmission, wheels tires etc. basically just a body, and the guy wats a $750 non-refundable deposit and wont disclose his reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-CAMARO-RS-PROJECT-Solid-Oklahoma-body-with-Title_W0QQitemZ200460067395QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_C ars_Trucks?hash=item2eac59e243

never done a total restoration before and any help would be appreciated.

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2010, 12:14 AM
Have you got about $20,000 to blow on this?

GKeeper316
4/11/2010, 12:29 AM
over the next 5 or so years, ya.

its a project, not something to crank out fast and resell for a profit.

this is a keeper.

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2010, 01:50 AM
Why don't you get something unique, like a Cougar Eliminator or a Hurst/Olds W-30? A Camaro?

BORING!

GKeeper316
4/11/2010, 02:03 AM
late 60s camaros kick ***

oumartin
4/11/2010, 06:45 AM
I like your idea, I've been pricing restored late 60's camaro's. Either that or a 78-79 camaro. And those only because my first car was a 78 camaro. I don't think they are good looking cars unless they are restored or in very good condition.

I work with a guy who has restored a couple of old pickups with his brother who has a body shop and you better be willing to shell out some big ole' bucks for a restoration. I can't justify the time or the money to restore one myself or have one restored but if I can find one that is pretty much done in the right price range I will be buying one within the next year.

I say go for it!

this one caught my eye!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Chevy-Camaro_W0QQitemZ200458789428QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ Cars_Trucks?hash=item2eac466234

this one also caught my eye and I may bid on it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-Camaro-Z28_W0QQitemZ290421743333QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Car s_Trucks?hash=item439e7c1ee5

Turd_Ferguson
4/11/2010, 08:07 AM
this one also caught my eye and I may bid on it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-Camaro-Z28_W0QQitemZ290421743333QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Car s_Trucks?hash=item439e7c1ee5

I like this one as well. I wonder why they removed the a/c?

oumartin
4/11/2010, 08:13 AM
where did you see the a/c was gone?

Turd_Ferguson
4/11/2010, 08:18 AM
where did you see the a/c was gone?2nd and 3rd motor pics. Upper left corner...you can see the high pressure side is open.

oumartin
4/11/2010, 08:26 AM
ah, I didn't catch that, I didn't even see that photo but you can see the tubing just sittin' there.

royalfan5
4/11/2010, 09:35 AM
If you are willing to do some wandering, you can probably find a better deal on something better. My parents do a lot of classic car restoring, buying, selling, trading, etc and they find some great bargins when they go into thinly populated areas.

BudSooner
4/11/2010, 11:27 AM
No way, I would not pay that kind of cash for that little of a car.
You will be hunting too many parts, the best thing to do is scour Hemmings motor news, they have cars of all sorts of conditions/prices and there are people all over the country who have a better starting point than that shell.

BudSooner
4/11/2010, 11:34 AM
If you are willing to do some wandering, you can probably find a better deal on something better. My parents do a lot of classic car restoring, buying, selling, trading, etc and they find some great bargins when they go into thinly populated areas.
I used to subscribe to Car Craft back in the 80's, and a guy who had the cover car in March '87 found his in a barn in Guthrie.
Turns out the little old lady had a son who JUST purchased a 69 Pontiac TA BUT went off to Nam, 1000 miles on it and it went into the barn, never to see the light of day till this guy came around.
He really stole it from her but she was in bad health and would not accept more than $2500 for it, ain't ****ting ya it IS GORGEOUS.

His 1973 TA Super Duty is a bookend to it and is just as sweet.

fadada1
4/11/2010, 11:40 AM
i'm gonna need a pair of plyers... some 30 weight ball bearings...

whatd'ya need ball bearing for?

come one boys, it's all ball bearings these days. maybe you need a refresher course.

BudSooner
4/11/2010, 11:45 AM
i'm gonna need a pair of plyers... some 30 weight ball bearings...

whatd'ya need ball bearing for?

come one boys, it's all ball bearings these days. maybe you need a refresher course.
WTF?

Tulsa_Fireman
4/11/2010, 11:56 AM
The bid says $860 and it hasn't met the reserve.

And that thing is a pile of sh*t. That isn't a restore, that's building from scratch. I wouldn't give more than 500 bucks for that trash. Missing panels, door, looks like it's sitting flat on the ground so the floor panels are gonna be trash, you'll have to entirely rework/replace the suspension, interior's gonna be shot to hell from the missing door and sitting in a field, you name it and you'll have to do it with this car.

Now that I think about it, $500 is a stretch. Buy this and you're an idiot. There's better out there.

fadada1
4/11/2010, 12:09 PM
WTF?

fletch.

oumartin
4/11/2010, 12:09 PM
The bid says $860 and it hasn't met the reserve.

And that thing is a pile of sh*t. That isn't a restore, that's building from scratch. I wouldn't give more than 500 bucks for that trash. Missing panels, door, looks like it's sitting flat on the ground so the floor panels are gonna be trash, you'll have to entirely rework/replace the suspension, interior's gonna be shot to hell from the missing door and sitting in a field, you name it and you'll have to do it with this car.

Now that I think about it, $500 is a stretch. Buy this and you're an idiot. There's better out there.

thata way to talk him outta buying it so you can sneak in there and snatch this beauty up :D

olevetonahill
4/11/2010, 01:12 PM
I was gonna bid treefiddy but it wnt let me .

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2010, 01:26 PM
Seriously though, I would never get into restoring a car unless I was retired or owned a body shop or machine shop. It's just too bloody expensive and time consuming. After awhile, the novelty wears off and you end up with a hunk of scrap in your garage that you have invested $10,000 in but isn't worth spit. Cars are a horrible investment; restoring them is even worse.

olevetonahill
4/11/2010, 01:41 PM
Lizard,I got a Friend who has made a very nice living restoring these :pop:
http://image.motortrend.com/f/auto-shows/2009-sema-retrobuilt-1969-shelby-gt500-mixes-vintage-flash-with-modern-go-power/25823828+w527+st0/retrobuilt-1969-shelby-gt500-front.jpg

OU_Sooners75
4/11/2010, 01:58 PM
Check out the classics here.

http://www.cacars.com/

BudSooner
4/11/2010, 02:11 PM
There is a Camaro(a roller with tires/wheels/and most of the body/interior pieces included)but it's got BAAAAAD rust and is going for 3800 at the moment.
Lot of rust around the A pillars around the windshield,floors,trunk,under the subframe where the front clip connects to the unibody..thats a better deal IF you can deal with the rust.

If I had the money, I would go to Yearone.com and look at buying a kit rather than sorting thru someones rusty heap hoping to have a running ride in 5 or 6yrs.
Pimp my ride, I ain't.

OMG! Look in the Ghostcars section on yearone.com, I just came I belive... :D

http://www.yearone.com/yodnn/ghostworks/ShopUpdateSuperbird/tabid/490/Default.aspx

Jacie
4/11/2010, 03:33 PM
The SS 350 emblem in the trunk is not a part of the car. From what I can tell, the car is not an SS, so please don’t view it as one.

It is a legitimate ad and the seller has a feedback rating of 100%, but it is interesting that the emblem shows up clearly in two of the pictures, even appearing to have been "posed" both times.

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2010, 04:06 PM
Lizard,I got a Friend who has made a very nice living restoring these :pop:
http://image.motortrend.com/f/auto-shows/2009-sema-retrobuilt-1969-shelby-gt500-mixes-vintage-flash-with-modern-go-power/25823828+w527+st0/retrobuilt-1969-shelby-gt500-front.jpg

Maybe, but I doubt he outsources much of the work. If he does, I don't see how he can possibly make any money. How many cars can one reasonably restore in one year and how much profit is that? (If any?)

oumartin
4/11/2010, 04:08 PM
if Boyd Coddington couldn't make a profit you by gosh better be incredibly good to make one.

of course Boyd isn't making anything anymore

Scott D
4/11/2010, 04:09 PM
you've clearly never been to a classic car auction.

olevetonahill
4/11/2010, 04:18 PM
Maybe, but I doubt he outsources much of the work. If he does, I don't see how he can possibly make any money. How many cars can one reasonably restore in one year and how much profit is that? (If any?)

Paint and Body and the Upholstery
the rest he does himself

When yer turning out rides that are worth over a 1/4 mil. ya dont have to do to many :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2010, 06:30 PM
Paint and Body and the Upholstery
the rest he does himself

When yer turning out rides that are worth over a 1/4 mil. ya dont have to do to many :rolleyes:

I can see paying $250,000 for a rare muscle car that is all original. Those are exceptionally rare and you typically have to pony up a lot of money to buy the car in the first place. Numbers need to match. Anyone priced a set of original hemi heads lately?

Making money on restoring vehicles is like making money in Vegas. We all know people who claimed to make a good living at it, but it's much tougher than most realize. If you add up all the money spent on parts and labor, the result can surprise you.

Stitch Face
4/11/2010, 07:30 PM
I'm not a car guy, but making that into a Camaro seems like finding ten bones in a field and turning them into a living human.

GKeeper316
4/11/2010, 11:39 PM
to be honest i wasnt going to "restore" the car. without a numbers matching engine thats pretty pointless. i was really just looking for a body thats in good shape and dropping a crated LS3 in it and basically having an old camaro body sitting on essentially a brand new car that i assembled myself.

i already have a decent machine shop and can use a freind's uncle's paint room (they did my freinds 74 stingray, in metallic sooner crimson, there and its beautiful) so just the cost of the paint.

think chip foose doing an episode of overhaulin. except taking a whole lot longer.

what im most concerned about with the one in my OP is that 2 inches missing from the windshield pillar on both sides. wasnt looking to chop a top and fabricating/replacing those 2 inches didnt look like very much fun.

it looks like all the rust is surface rust, but im starting to agree with most folks who say it isnt worth it.

so the search continues.

thx folks.

olevetonahill
4/12/2010, 08:05 AM
I can see paying $250,000 for a rare muscle car that is all original. Those are exceptionally rare and you typically have to pony up a lot of money to buy the car in the first place. Numbers need to match. Anyone priced a set of original hemi heads lately?

Making money on restoring vehicles is like making money in Vegas. We all know people who claimed to make a good living at it, but it's much tougher than most realize. If you add up all the money spent on parts and labor, the result can surprise you.

LL when ya get a ****ing clue as to what the hell you are talking about get back to me ok ?

Ive known Frank for over 20 years and in that time him and his wife have turned out some dayum nice rides .

soonerloyal
4/12/2010, 08:07 AM
Awww, wish y'all could work on my baby boy '76 Maverick...

olevetonahill
4/12/2010, 08:12 AM
If ya had it closer to me Id be glad to help you out Hon.

Ive got a 60 T-Bird that ive been working on for over 15 years.
keep running out of money :mad:

Jacie
4/12/2010, 08:59 AM
If ya had it closer to me Id be glad to help you out Hon.

Ive got a 60 T-Bird that ive been working on for over 15 years.
keep running out of money :mad:

My dad bought a 61 bird when I was a child, pink w/black interior. I loved it when I was picked up at school and could be seen getting into that car.

Stitch Face
4/12/2010, 09:26 AM
Too bad you didn't post this a few days ago. I just unloaded a '98 4 cylinder Chevy cavalier. Most of the paint was gone and the rotors were getting bad, but man was that a sweet ride...

olevetonahill
4/12/2010, 09:35 AM
My dad bought a 61 bird when I was a child, pink w/black interior. I loved it when I was picked up at school and could be seen getting into that car.

My folks bought this one in 66 I was 16 then
Kinda why I wanta get it back on the road .

Leroy Lizard
4/12/2010, 12:25 PM
LL when ya get a ****ing clue as to what the hell you are talking about get back to me ok ?

Ive known Frank for over 20 years and in that time him and his wife have turned out some dayum nice rides .

I don't doubt it. But there are far more people struggling at this type of living then you think. And turning out nice rides isn't what we are talking about. It's how much profit you make when doing so.

All you have to do is think about it. The vast majority of rides you will be creating are not going to sell for $200,000. Maybe $70,000. You can burn up $70,000 in expenses very easily in this game.

And yes, I have restored cars. He obviously is better at it and can do it cheaper. But I know firsthand that this is not something you do on a tight budget.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/12/2010, 12:39 PM
heh, that looks pretty close to how i got my first car (a 69 camaro). one of the key things to remember about restoring a 60's chevy is there is an overabundance of part manufacturers to get everything you want.

as for the car, i like the 67 better than the 68 for the wing windows. i had a '69 because they were cheap as crap because they produced so many of them (one of the top production quantities of all time). it had a slightly better setup in the engine bay for a big block, but if you are just going to toss in a small block you should be okay with any of the 3.

the best way to shop for these cars is to find one that is in the prep stages of restoration where a leroy lizard type has run out of patience and funding and tosses it up for a pittance.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/12/2010, 12:43 PM
I don't doubt it. But there are far more people struggling at this type of living then you think. And turning out nice rides isn't what we are talking about. It's how much profit you make when doing so.

All you have to do is think about it. The vast majority of rides you will be creating are not going to sell for $200,000. Maybe $70,000. You can burn up $70,000 in expenses very easily in this game.

And yes, I have restored cars. He obviously is better at it and can do it cheaper. But I know firsthand that this is not something you do on a tight budget.

the biggest single expense is the motor. they can run you anywhere from 5-25 grand. the biggest nightmare is dealing with rust. while it may not be as expensive as the motor (unless you have to repeatedly soda blast it), it definitely tries your patience getting it taken care of.

BudSooner
4/13/2010, 10:47 AM
Rust is a huge pain in the *** and when you think you have gotten all of it, more shows up. One way to make sure you get all the rust is, and it's IF you can find a quality sandblaster shop(one who strips metal for a living)is to put the car on a rotisserie and have it media blasted-blasted by fine pieces of glass similar to sand granules, its easier on the metal than using regular sand.
After its been done, have it sprayed with a protective sealer to prevent the oil from your hands starting the rusting process again while working on it.
The sealer also makes it easier to hunt/find the rusted areas.

Or as JKM said, just find a car some guy started on then gave up on.