PDA

View Full Version : RIP, Wilma Mankiller

soonerloyal
4/10/2010, 10:08 PM
What a huge loss - for Oklahoma, for the Cherokee Nation, for women, for so very many. I had no idea till now she'd passed on. I admired her so. :(

"The spirit of this beautiful white rose
in Cherokee hearts still grows...
From hearts and spirits so pained
Today her beauty is yet retained...
A symbol of hope and pride regained

Wherever over the clans four winds blow
does the heart of the rose grow
Where teardrops did pour
Cherokee rose blooms forevermore"

http://newsok.com/cherokees-wilma-mankiller-remembered-as-humble-patriot/article/3453045?custom_click=headlines_widget

Cherokee's Wilma Mankiller remembered as humble patriot

TAHLEQUAH, Okla. (AP) — Former Cherokee Nation Chief Wilma Mankiller, one of the few women to ever lead a major tribe, matched strength with a humbleness that made her approachable, the nation's current chief said Saturday.

Chief Chad Smith spoke at a memorial service for Mankiller that drew hundreds of tribe members and 170 tribal, state and federal leaders. Mankiller, one of the most visible American Indian leaders in recent years, died Tuesday at age 64 after a bout with pancreatic cancer.

"Wilma Mankiller was a patriot for the Cherokee Nation," Smith said. "Her strength was absolute humility. That humility made her approachable rather than aloof ... and made her lead rather than follow."

With her death, Smith said, "a dark cloud hangs above this nation."

The road to the Cherokee Nation Cultural Grounds about 70 miles east of Tulsa was clogged with cars early Saturday. Volunteers had set up bleachers and 1,500 chairs, but many mourners expected those to fill quickly and brought their own chairs to sit on the lawn.

Mankiller led the Cherokee Nation, which now has about 290,000 members, from December 1985 until 1995, when she decided not to run for re-election. Under her guidance, the tribe tripled its enrollment, doubled employment and built new health centers and children's programs.

She received the Presidential Medal of Freedom — the highest civilian honor in the U.S. — from then-President Bill Clinton in 1998. She met with other U.S. presidents and dignitaries, but also was known for working closely with everyday members of the tribe.

Gov. Brad Henry and U.S. Rep. Dan Boren, D-Muskogee, were among those expected at the memorial service.

"She was such a monumental leader in Indian Country and certainly within the Cherokee Nation because, ironically or perhaps appropriately, she was so humble," Smith said Friday. "I remember the iconic image of her in a white dress, like something she had just worn to church, on the front porch playing with her nephews and nieces. Just three days earlier, she had received the Presidential Medal of Freedom."

Smith remembers Mankiller almost as an "aunt," saying she was approachable as she led the tribe and incredibly wise.

"She understood that great leadership begins with the women — that's our long, cultural tradition. We must remember that the greatest gift she gave us was understanding that the future is ours, we get to choose it," he said. "If I had one word to frame her, it would be patriot. A patriot is one who gives her all for her people."

Others scheduled to speak during Saturday's service were Robert Henry, the chief judge of the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals; former Cherokee Chief Ross Swimmer, who preceded Mankiller; and women's rights advocate Gloria Steinem, a close friend of Mankiller.

Mankiller's husband, Charlie Soap, and daughters Gina Olaya and Felicia Olaya also are scheduled to speak.

___

TUSooner
4/11/2010, 12:48 AM
n/m. wrong thread.

But while I'm here, was the US flag at OU at half-mast last Wednesday because of her death?

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2010, 01:47 AM
TAHLEQUAH, Okla. (AP) — Former Cherokee Nation Chief Wilma Mankiller, one of the few women to ever lead a major tribe, matched strength with a humbleness that made her approachable, the nation's current chief said Saturday.

Chief Chad Smith spoke at a memorial service for Mankiller that drew hundreds of tribe members and 170 tribal, state and federal leaders. Mankiller, one of the most visible American Indian leaders in recent years, died Tuesday at age 64 after a bout with pancreatic cancer.

___

A tribal chief's name is Chad?

AlbqSooner
4/11/2010, 07:05 AM

Better than Leroy.

olevetonahill
4/11/2010, 07:20 AM
Better than Leroy.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Flagstaffsooner
4/11/2010, 07:47 AM
That one hit me funny too.

olevetonahill
4/11/2010, 07:48 AM
That Albq is one funny old codger :D

BudSooner
4/11/2010, 11:08 AM
Read this about Joe Byrd who was defeated by Chad Smith...I still remember it, what a fiasco.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Byrd_%28Cherokee_chief%29

When we go to the tribal center in Tahlequah and I get a chance to look at the history leading up to 1999...there isn't much spoken about Byrd.

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2010, 12:35 PM
Too bad Chad didn't have Wilma' last name. He would have been a big hit in some San Francisco bars.

Chuck Bao
4/11/2010, 02:41 PM
soonerloyal, I had great admiration for her as well. She will be missed.

yermom
4/11/2010, 03:08 PM
n/m. wrong thread.

But while I'm here, was the US flag at OU at half-mast last Wednesday because of her death?

i noticed that too. i had no idea what it was for

Chuck Bao
4/11/2010, 03:30 PM
i noticed that too. i had no idea what it was for

That is a great tribute and deservedly so. Was that observed by all state institutions?

Okla-homey
4/11/2010, 03:48 PM

Among the so-called "civilized tribes" (Choctaw, Cherokee, Chickasaw, Muscogee (Creek) and Seminole), which extensively adopted European customs and manners even before their removal to the I.T., European first-names, and even English surnames are very common. Just saying.

One of my good friends, who is a full-blood Creek, is named Michael, but goes by Mike. Mike has one of the kindest and gentlest souls of anyone I've ever known. Mike, BTW, put two daughters through OU. One has an OU PhD in anthropology, and the other earned an MS from OU in some kind of biological science - I can't recall precisely which discipline. Mike killed the deer, and brain-tanned their hides the way his people have for thousands of years for each girls traditional deerskin dress and footwear they wore at commencement under their academic gowns.

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2010, 04:03 PM
Among the so-called "civilized tribes" (Choctaw, Cherokee, Chickasaw, Muscogee (Creek) and Seminole), which extensively adopted European customs and manners even before their removal to the I.T., European first-names, and even English surnames are very common. Just saying.

You mean, not all American Indians have names like "Running Water" and "Hunting Bear"? I would have never guessed.

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2010, 04:04 PM
That is a great tribute and deservedly so. Was that observed by all state institutions?

I didn't see the General Sheridan Center flying its flag at half mast.

SteelClip49
4/12/2010, 08:46 AM
Leroy...you are a dick.

AlbqSooner
4/12/2010, 08:00 PM
In all seriousness, Wilma Mankiller was an erudite leader who gracefully followed a tough act to follow for the Cherokee Nation. She deserves all of the honor and accolades that she receives and more.

If I seemed to be disrespecting her by my post, it was unintended. I just take my shots when I get them.;)