PDA

View Full Version : ESPN preseason poll - OU #12

badger
4/9/2010, 08:05 PM
Boise is #3. Looks like it's put up or shaddap time for them.

TCU is #6.

I can't find it on ESPN's main site, so here's a link to another (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=8#8255)

Mississippi Sooner
4/9/2010, 08:41 PM
I like seeing USC in the second ten.

VA Sooner
4/9/2010, 10:19 PM
I'm not seeing Texas that much higher than OU. Bias... maybe. But replacing quarterback McCoy, star receiver Shipley, LB Sergio Kindle and Safety Earl Thomas is a very tall order.

Eielson
4/9/2010, 10:27 PM
Anybody else look at #12 as an insult?

Crucifax Autumn
4/9/2010, 10:48 PM

I do, and I hope the team feels the same and comes on wanting to prove something.

Breadburner
4/9/2010, 11:07 PM
Who cares....No offense.....

gotpoi73
4/9/2010, 11:50 PM
as long as we finish #1, who gives a s**t where we start

Jacie
4/10/2010, 08:23 AM
Like Christmas decorations in October, it seems the polls come out earlier every year . . .

1890MilesToNorman
4/10/2010, 08:38 AM
We haven't proven anything yet, #12 is not an insult. It's all guess work at this stage anyway.

badger
4/10/2010, 08:40 AM
Something interesting

1- SEC (Deep South)
2- Big Ten (Midwest)
3- Mid-major (Northwest)
4- Big 12 (Just South)
5- ACC (East coast)

They didn't favor one conference or georgraphic area over another... west, cept the West Coast. :D

JLEW1818
4/10/2010, 10:15 AM
12 sounds around the right area, i personally have us a 10.

we can't use the "we didn't have Sam or Jermaine" last year.

we saw what we saw with Landry at qb. will we be a better team this year? absolutely.

but as far as outside sooner nation, why would anybody consider us a contender after what they saw last year?

BoulderSooner79
4/10/2010, 03:41 PM
12 is a big jump from where we finished last season and we still have an unproven O-line. This shows the ESPN gang think last season was a fluke. Sounds about right to me.

85sooners
4/10/2010, 05:30 PM
boom!!!!!!!!!!!

silverwheels
4/10/2010, 06:38 PM
That's not even a real poll. I'll wait until August, and even then, those polls won't matter much if we don't win.

mightysooner
4/10/2010, 06:44 PM
I do, and I hope the team feels the same and comes on wanting to prove something.

Why is that insulting? We lost 5 games last season. I'd have us ranked even lower, around 15 or so, given what we saw last season. 12 is giving us respect IMO.

JLEW1818
4/10/2010, 06:57 PM
in a "real" poll we would prlly be 12-18

first off lets get one thing straight. the AP poll means absolutely nothing. And yes, i know this isn't the AP rankings, its ESPN rankings or w/e the f it is.

Coaches (ALSO KNOWN AS USA TODAY) + Harris + Computers = BCS Rankings

now i know some of u could careless for the BCS, but its the system we play under and its the system that matters.

DakotaSooner
4/10/2010, 07:02 PM
More often than not we finish lower than where we start....12 is giving us respect, we should probably be lower.

Crucifax Autumn
4/10/2010, 07:05 PM
Why is that insulting? We lost 5 games last season. I'd have us ranked even lower, around 15 or so, given what we saw last season. 12 is giving us respect IMO.

Because we're OU dammit! :D

fadada1
4/11/2010, 07:12 AM
before i look at the list, i've gotta guess that VaTech is somewhere in the #6 range. the poll is legit if it's so. any poll putting them in the 20+ range is hogwash. and yes, i hit the "CTRL - SARCASM" button on my keyboard.

fadada1
4/11/2010, 07:13 AM
heh. #5 for VaTech. poll is legit.

let's see where they finish.

TXBOOMER
4/11/2010, 07:07 PM
12 seems high considering where we finished and the people we lost. I will need to see this team win a game in a hostile environment before I would argue 12 is too low. With that being said winning them all wouldn't surprise me anymore than losing 3.

icmwhOU72
4/11/2010, 07:24 PM
I think 12 is just low enough for bob to use the "nobody respects us" pitch to the players. We will find out in about 6 days what kind of improvement our team made in the offseason. I am just glad that we are coming off of a bowl win against a team that was contending for a spot in the rose bowl in november last year. We should be confident and from the talk coming out of norman we are having a solid spring. It will be interesting to see the new wrinkles in both our offense and defense on saturday.

I am going to go ahead and predict that auburn is playing in the sec title game come december and it will probably be against florida or lsu

OK2U
4/11/2010, 08:01 PM
I don't really anticipate any new wrinkles on offense next Saturday.
But with both R. Lewis' and Beal's versatility we might see some new formations on defense if the MIKE is comfortable making the calls and adjustments.

Tigeman
4/11/2010, 08:17 PM
I am going to go ahead and predict that auburn is playing in the sec title game come december and it will probably be against florida or lsu

Unfortunately I'm not going to argue the Auburn thing. I wish we could have snagged Newton. The kid is apparently living up to expectations! He's prob. a player that could lead his team to a CCG by himself.

ictsooner7
4/11/2010, 10:05 PM
I'm not seeing Texas that much higher than OU. Bias... maybe. But replacing quarterback McCoy, star receiver Shipley, LB Sergio Kindle and Safety Earl Thomas is a very tall order.

Hey......but their qb played most of one game, so he's ready to go.

gaylordfan1
4/12/2010, 08:05 AM
12 sounds ok to me... Gives us plenty of room to move up with our OOC schedule, if and only if we take care of business. Who hates hearing this phrase..."We control our own destiny"?

KantoSooner
4/12/2010, 09:15 AM
Oregon? Top Ten? WTF. Last I checked, they don't have Masoli next season. Without him, they could lose three in the P10 alone. Maybe five. Something weird going on.

josh09
4/12/2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the link, but I could honestly care less about rankings from April-September. They mean nothing to me, and they just remind me of how far away football season still is!

NOVSooner
4/12/2010, 10:40 AM

true but this is the ESPN poll...anyone notice how prior to last season the one commercial shot ESPN always showed was the last second Texas tech play over Texas and this year it's the kick against neb with "texas is going to pasadena". as someone noted in another thread, texas will be the new florida for espn

josh09
4/12/2010, 10:42 AM

With Landry being so hot and cold, I don't see how they could put us in the top 10. Herbstreit, after the NC game, ranked us #2 or #3 I think? He obviously thinks that Landry and the O-line can get it together, and if they can, then we are certainly the favorite in the Big 12, along with a NC contender. If not, well then #12 is a good spot for us.

janderson255
4/12/2010, 12:20 PM
i think we should be closer to 20th. We have proved nothing other than beating Stanford. Remember 2000...

TahoeSOONER
4/12/2010, 12:58 PM
Lucky to be that high but it's a decent starting place. Much to prove but the pieces are there to make a run and we'll know what were working with when FSU comes to town.

badger
4/12/2010, 02:39 PM
ESPN a few days ago was lamenting how Bois Estate had to go undefeated in order to be considered for title game consideration. Oh such a tough road this, oh, no respect for mid-major that.

BULL. SHIZZLE. Both Texas and Bammer had to go undefeated for title game consideration, you east coastal elitist bashturds. You know who else went undefeated last year but got left out of the title game? Oh yeah - MULTIPLE other teams beside BS University, both from auto-bid and mid-major conferences.

So anyways, a big middle finger in the air to the worldwide leader in sports.

Collier11
4/12/2010, 02:51 PM

we went 8-5 last year and are replacing a lot, I see it as pretty fair. I woulda had us around 8 or 9

goingoneight
4/12/2010, 04:52 PM
#12 is both about right and an insult.

We're Oklahoma... we shouldn't be #12.

We went 8-5 last season, and are bringing everybody back (healthy, I might add, too).

Eielson
4/12/2010, 06:06 PM
#12 is both about right and an insult.

That's along the lines of what I meant. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it doesn't sound right at all.

(FWIW, I think we will finish higher.)

Soonerntxs
4/13/2010, 02:48 PM
I didn't miss a game last year and even made it to ElPaso, I give us #10 as a start with a count down to #1. We may have had alot of walking wounded, however we also had alot of FR playing time and from watching spring practice on Soonersports, it looks as though we have a focus at key positions...WR/RB. I think L. Jones looked great at the Sun Bowl so BOOMER SOONER and let the good times roll!

stoopified
4/13/2010, 03:08 PM
IMHO it is better for us to be at #12 than any higher.Bob has talked the last few years abount players having a certain entitlement attitude and not working as hard because WE ARE OU and championships are OUr birthright.That is an OK attitude for fans to have but a dangerous one for players.How many days to kickoff?

Collier11
4/13/2010, 03:11 PM

IronHorseSooner
4/14/2010, 04:46 AM
I would've had us at about #10, and ahead of Oregon. It's like the situation that we had with Bonehead. A lot of people had us as high as #1 back then, and then adjusted their thinking after seeing a few games. A team at #12 is one that has a lot of talent, but usually has an area or two that are question marks. In this case, the elephant in the room is the OL. If we get solid production, and Landry isn't running for his life, then I don't see a game where we wouldn't be favored, including *.

Since71ASooner4Life
4/14/2010, 07:21 PM
This is fun stuff to occupy the boredom of the offseason, but that's about all it's good for.

Cincinnati loses Coach, 5th year QB, and star receiver and they're #22 ?

I'm going to have fun Sept 25th when I go home to visit my family and watch the Sooners crush them on their home field. These people who vote in these polls are clueless during the season, let alone pre-season when nobody has an accurate view of who is going to do what.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/15/2010, 11:18 AM
should be in the 15-20 range

stoops the eternal pimp
4/15/2010, 11:19 AM
top 10 teams have good o-lines