PDA

View Full Version : difference between 1975 and 1984?

SteelClip49
4/9/2010, 01:45 PM
in 1975 Arizona State went undefeated, finished #2 in both polls which included a Fiesta Bowl win over Nebraska. Other than the NU game I don't believe their schedule was good enough as OU's and they also played in the WAC before going to the Pac 10 in 1978.

in 1984 late after UF was caught cheating, the national title clearly was between Washington and Oklahoma because of recognition, better schedules and top tier conferences. But somehow BYU became the choice to be national champion as the only undefeated team playing a weak schedule out of the WAC and beating the worst Schembechler coached Michigan team by 7in the December 22nd Holiday Bowl.

I wonder what the UPI (Board of Coaches) and Associated Press voters were thinking both these years?

Mississippi Sooner
4/9/2010, 02:00 PM
If I remember correctly, the Fiesta Bowl was originally instituted as a way of giving post-season recognition to a WAC conference that felt it was being overlooked. I guess it worked to some degree. The Sporting News recognized Arizona State as the national champions that year, and it led directly to the Arizona teams being picked up by the expanding Pac-8 just a few years later.

I suppose that was also really the springboard to what we now know as the mid-majors starting to crank up the PR machines and demand respect. I know they had ABC on board, because I clearly recall the pre-Mickey Mouse network stumping hard for BYU's inclusion into the national title talk before the season ended.

Without a doubt, though, that BYU team was one of the weakest mythical national champions in the pre-BCS years. But, isn't that really the excuse for having the BCS in the first place? It has done a good job of preventing another BYU at having a shot at the mythical title so far.

BoulderSooner79
4/9/2010, 02:06 PM

Flagstaffsooner
4/9/2010, 02:06 PM
You are correct about 1975. ASU was in a very weak WAC and Frank Kush was a well known crook and a-hole.

In 84 OU tied texass due to blatent whorn officiating and lost to Kansas in Aikmans first start. WU had lost to suc. BYU in the wac was tied into the Holiday Bowl but the Holiday Bowl said that they would release them to play in the Orange for the NC game. BYU declined opting to play a horrible Mich team.

janderson255
4/9/2010, 02:44 PM
9 years

Jello Biafra
4/9/2010, 03:23 PM
In 84 OU tied texass due to blatent whorn officiating and lost to Kansas in Aikmans first start.

gawd demm...thanx for opening that old wound...everytime i think of that play, i get furious and want to punch the first horn i see.

KantoSooner
4/9/2010, 03:29 PM
You have my blessing.

ratherthanlater
4/9/2010, 05:41 PM
___71
_1984
------
____9

SouthFortySooner
4/9/2010, 06:17 PM
This is the M in MNC.