PDA

View Full Version : Taliaferro resigns.....

Salt City Sooner
4/8/2010, 12:57 PM
http://soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040810aac.html

oumartin
4/8/2010, 01:03 PM
I was getting tired of looking at his uni brow anyhow

...sooner
4/8/2010, 01:24 PM
uhhh. crap.

SoonerEMT
4/8/2010, 02:58 PM
Wasn't he instrumental in recruiting both Willie Warren & Tiny??

Wonder if this is connected to the internal investigation :eek: ?

...sooner
4/8/2010, 03:02 PM
Wasn't he instrumental in recruiting both Willie Warren & Tiny??

Wonder if this is connected to the internal investigation :eek: ?

whhhat really? hmm this COULD get interesting. but not in a good way :confused: :( :eek:

SoonerEMT
4/8/2010, 03:07 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100408_92_0_Oklaho662578

Taliaferro did not say what he would be doing, and he declined comment on OU’s ongoing investigation into the basketball program, stemming from a report that freshman player Tiny Gallon had $3,000 transferred into a bank account held by Gallon and his mother last August.

Capel brought in Taliaferro in May of 2007 to replace then-assistant Rod Barnes, and Taliaferro helped bring in McDonald’s All-Americans Willie Warren and Tiny Gallon. He was the highest-paid OU assistant, receiving a $12,000 salary bump to $186,000 following the 2008-09 season that saw the Sooners win 30 games and reach the Elite Eight.

This doesn't sound promising...

...sooner
4/8/2010, 03:17 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100408_92_0_Oklaho662578

This doesn't sound promising...

sweet.

Mad Dog Madsen
4/8/2010, 03:42 PM
Wonder how long Capel will stick around? The Sooner basketball program seems to be heading downhill very fast...

SoonerMom2
4/8/2010, 04:04 PM
I don't see where losing this coach is going to hurt since on the radio they talked about him being linked in with Willie Warren. We would be better to start over and get rid of all the problems which looks like we are doing.

Kentucky just lost all their starters. Everytime I turn around someone else just registered for the draft. Not impressed with the prima donna's from some of the AAU's basketball programs that we are seeing in college ball today.

Sooner04
4/8/2010, 04:07 PM
It's like an onion, Jerry! The more you peel away.......the more it stinks!

NormanPride
4/8/2010, 07:36 PM
Taliaferro has always been a "great" recruiter. Maybe this is why.

bluedogok
4/8/2010, 08:37 PM
I don't see where losing this coach is going to hurt since on the radio they talked about him being linked in with Willie Warren. We would be better to start over and get rid of all the problems which looks like we are doing.

Kentucky just lost all their starters. Everytime I turn around someone else just registered for the draft. Not impressed with the prima donna's from some of the AAU's basketball programs that we are seeing in college ball today.
It's time to go to a baseball style draft for basketball, you either go right out of high school or after your third season of possible eligibility. This one and done stuff is ridiculous.

Eielson
4/8/2010, 09:36 PM
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I prefer this one and done thing to what we had. The three year thing would push tons of high school players straight to the NBA...the thing we were trying to stop.

...sooner
4/9/2010, 08:01 AM
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I prefer this one and done thing to what we had. The three year thing would push tons of high school players straight to the NBA...the thing we were trying to stop.

i dont like the one & done but i dont like the fact that they can go right out of HS. im not really sure what they should do about it. cause one & dones produce a whole kentucky team leaving & crap heads like TMG or Tiny... idk? its all about money for these guys

Collier11
4/9/2010, 01:44 PM
One and done is the stupidest thing that has ever been done regarding college basketball.

Id prefer the baseball version, you either go straight out of HS or you play 3 years

Red Ada
4/9/2010, 02:15 PM
One and done stinks !
Go NBA out of high school or play three years.
Otherwise, your wasting everyones time.

Baseball version really needs to apply here.
It is ruining college basketball.

...sooner
4/9/2010, 03:47 PM
One and done stinks !
Go NBA out of high school or play three years.
Otherwise, your wasting everyones time.

Baseball version really needs to apply here.
It is ruining college basketball.

agreed.

Eielson
4/9/2010, 04:48 PM
Who watches college baseball?

Yeah, that system doesn't seem to work too well. Doesn't sound like a good idea at all.

SoonerStud615
4/9/2010, 04:51 PM
The Sooner basketball program seems to be heading downhill very fast...

Again!

Curly Bill
4/9/2010, 04:53 PM
I don't like the college basketball system either, but yeah: college baseball is the biggest bunch of suck in the world, so I don't know...

...I really don't have a point beyond pointing out how much college baseball sucks. ;) :D

badger
4/9/2010, 04:54 PM
Seems they're tying the assistant's resignation to Tiny Gallon's issues.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100409_92_0_NORMAN136672)

TopDawg
4/9/2010, 09:44 PM
College baseball doesn't suck because of its draft rules. As the scientists say, what you've got is a correlation, not causation.

The 1-and-done rule sucks for college basketball. I'd prefer the football way, but the baseball way would be better than 1-and-done.

Although, I do think that one good thing that it has done is level the playing field a little for the mid-majors and underdogs. With the big programs picking up all the 1-and-doners, the mid-majors and underdogs can pick up those guys who are going to make a good team when they're all juniors and seniors, which allows them to hang with the teams full of freshmen focused on the NBA.

GottaHavePride
4/9/2010, 11:41 PM
College baseball doesn't suck because of its draft rules. As the scientists say, what you've got is a correlation, not causation.

Exactly. College baseball's problem is that it is, in fact, baseball.

That causes the suckage. ;)

tulsaoilerfan
4/9/2010, 11:59 PM
It's time to go to a baseball style draft for basketball, you either go right out of high school or after your third season of possible eligibility. This one and done stuff is ridiculous.

Agreed, or else the NCAA should drop all pretense of "student-athlete" and just let them play ball

soonerbub
4/10/2010, 02:22 AM
What a ****ing ripoff--almost 200k a year to this guy? I would cancel my season tickets if I had 'em. Bye bye Capel--ignorance is not bliss in D-1 athletics at a big-boy school

Eielson
4/10/2010, 03:53 PM
Exactly. College baseball's problem is that it is, in fact, baseball.

That causes the suckage. ;)

For whatever reason (and it's likely not just one), college baseball is bad even for baseball. Most people seem to to know about as much about college football or basketball as they do pro football or basketball. In baseball there seems to be a wider gap between the pro knowledge and the college knowledge. In college baseball, there is so little interest that I can't even watch the first few games of the playoffs on TV (even for a homestate team), and will only see the championship game of the Big XII tournament. If you went down the street and surveyed everybody you know that say they at least somewhat like sports, I bet about 9 out of every 10 will be able to tell you who George Mason was and how far they went in the tournament. You'll probably have about 9 out of 10 (maybe more) NOT know what Fresno State did in baseball despite the fact that they were more recent and went further.

I know that comparison was two different sports, but I still feel it is relevant. To keep it on the same sport, most people know that the Yankees won the championship last year, or at least knew at the time. I've been trying to figure out for the last 10 or 15 minutes who the college baseball champion was. I finally remembered it was LSU, but most people wouldn't know that. I'm not even going to try and figured out who won it last year.

Eielson
4/10/2010, 03:55 PM
Back to Taliaferro: the raise did come around the time Capel got his raise, right? It originally scared me, but Capel brought him in his first or second season, so I would figure the raises go throughout the coaching staff.

Scott D
4/10/2010, 05:26 PM

Well here's the problem in my opinion, in the two sports where drafting high schools 'works' you have extensive minor league systems. So you either get drafted and decide to go to college, foregoing anywhere from 1 to 3 years of being a pro. Or you go to college, and become draft eligible during your time in school and may or may not leave, with the potential of being signed as a free agent at some point when you're doing with your collegiate eligibility.

The NBDL is virtually useless as a developmental tool, and there aren't enough lower tiers to make it a real viable alternative.

Ironically I guess I think that hockey has it more right than baseball.

I guess if you consider that the way AAU basketball has become, the hockey way of doing things seems to make even more sense, and allows players to skip the whole college part of things when they're *cough*TMG*cough* not ready for the NBA from a developmental standpoint.

bluedogok
4/10/2010, 06:27 PM
There are high school baseball players drafted every year who end up going to college, the same thing could happen in basketball and just like with college baseball, once you choose the college option your name is out of the draft hopper until after your third year of eligibility (junior or redshirt sophomore). If kids think they are good enough to go pro, let them, and let them find out what the real world is about instead of being a catered to AAU athlete who has their rears kissed all the time while growing up and thinking that is the "real world". If they are going to fail at the NBADL or Europe, they are going to fail in the NBA. Make them responsible for their decisions.

Heck maybe the NBADL would become a viable minor league system if there was something other than the failed system there is now. The AAU system reminds me some of junior hockey with bad personalities, they both have their share of them. I just want college basketball to improve and I think getting rid of the "pro only" players who have no interest in going to college other than they have to would be an improvement.

Scott D
4/10/2010, 07:39 PM
That's why I think they should quit putting "lipstick on a pig" and just view the AAU system as basketball's version of junior hockey. Draft an 18 y/o, if the kid isn't good enough to play on the NBA roster, send him back to his AAU team, and you can do that until the kid is 21, then he either makes the NBA team, or has to go to the NDBL. What you'll get is the top players who don't belong in college ball staying in AAU ball when they're not good enough to make the NBA, and the kids that go to play college ball are there for a 2-3 year commitment if not a full 4 year commitment.

King Barry's Back
4/10/2010, 08:34 PM

We are all certainly entitled to our own opinions, but I guess my answer would be that I don't care about the NBA, and I don't care about high school ball (and I CERTAINLY don't care about AAU, etc) -- so if loads of kids chose freely to bypass NCAA ball -- I am completely cool with it.

And if the NBA ends up disappointed in the number of immature prima donnas who wash out early, I'm find with that too.

But the current "one and done" system is destroying NCAA basketball. And it's not just the "one and doners". It's the kid who has a near-great freshman season, and then announces, "I think I will stay another year as I think it will make me more money." And then at the end of a near-great soph season, he says, "I still think I could make more staying one more year."

It's all so mercenary, so unseemly, and so destabilizing for the college programs.

I know the NBA does not exist to assist the NCAA, but I would much prefer giving kids the enter the draft straight out of high school, or jr hi, what have you -- or choosing to go to school for three years.