PDA

View Full Version : Who has been to "The Abner" in Norman?

C&CDean
4/7/2010, 04:38 PM
Anyone? What did you think?

I went in there yesterday for the first time. Nice beer selection, and most importantly, they had all kinds of Irish whiskeys. Had some Tullamore Dew, Red Breast (good recommendation BTW), and several other hard-to-find adult beverages.

Someone I was with had the blackened pork chops and said they were very good, and someone else had some salmon and also said it was good. Me? Just some whiskey and a black & tan (made with Harp as it should be and not Bass).

C&CDean
4/7/2010, 04:39 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I ran into Lott's Bandanna in there too.

delhalew
4/7/2010, 04:52 PM
Sounds pretty sweet to me.

Boomer.....
4/8/2010, 07:21 AM
I've been twice. The first was just to drink and had a wide selection of beers. It was just after it had opened and was full of college kids. The other time I ate and it was pretty good. I had the meatloaf sandwich (which was about 2" thick) and the other person had the blackened chicken sandwich which I tried and it was also very good.

Sooner in Tampa
4/8/2010, 07:34 AM
Irish wiskey is for Phags...Real men drink Scotch

Scotch, scotch, scotch...I love scotch!

NCSooner18
4/8/2010, 07:42 AM
Sounds good. Where is it?

yermom
4/8/2010, 07:52 AM
aka McNellie's

it's on Main, next to Guestroom and Forward Foods

Boomer.....
4/8/2010, 07:53 AM
It's in Downtown Norman.

C&CDean
4/8/2010, 08:29 AM
Irish wiskey is for Phags...Real men drink Scotch

Scotch, scotch, scotch...I love scotch!

Scotch is for people without taste buds. And for you no-taste mother****ers, they have several (I'd say at least 15-20) different single-malt scotches available in addition to all the other crappy every day scotch they sell.

It's located just east of the Sooner Theater.

sooneron
4/8/2010, 11:15 AM
I'll have to try it out when I'm there in July. MMmm, scotch. :D

Sooner in Tampa
4/8/2010, 11:23 AM
Single malt...mmmmmm

OH, and a black and tan with Harp is the ONLY way to roll

ouduckhunter
4/8/2010, 02:19 PM
Order me up a black and tan next time you're in there! I love those!!

dolemitesooner
4/8/2010, 02:27 PM
Scotch is pure ****. Drank it one time and never again.

I drank some Japanesse beer there that made me cream me drawerz
It can in a huge ****ing can. I drank a few

49r
4/8/2010, 02:42 PM
Sapporo

C&CDean
4/8/2010, 02:46 PM
Crapporo? Jizzoro?

dolemitesooner
4/9/2010, 07:47 AM
Sapporo

Yeah that stuff makes my taste buds salavate

Lott's Bandana
4/9/2010, 10:21 AM
Too bad the Harp is made in Canada and not Ireland.

Love the place. Gots my own barstool. Their Reuben sammy rivals The Lunchbox.

Come back Dean. I'll buy you a whisky.

C&CDean
4/9/2010, 01:43 PM
I stopped in last night with momma. She liked it, but you were nowhere to be seen. I did see your little photo book of the first St. Patty's at Abners though.

Lott's Bandana
4/10/2010, 09:51 AM
Dayum Dean, I was there from about 6:15 until 9:15. Sorry I missed ya. Did you go upstairs? I am usually on a downstairs barstool, but friends were ArtWalking and we were piled in a downstairs booth.

C&CDean
6/17/2010, 01:48 PM
Update. If you haven't tried the Wednesday $3 burgers at Abner's you're really missing out.

A 1/2 pound burger and pub fries for $3. They're damned tasty burgers - perhaps the best in Norman. If you ain't there by about 6-6:30 you'll be waiting on the sidewalk to get in on Wednesdays.

We ate there last night, and picked up a tab for a couple college geeks who sat next to us at the bar. One of the kids orders a beer and a burger, and the other orders a burger and water. His buddy goes "what, no beer?" and the kid sheepishly says "I only got $5." I told the barkeep to get him whatever beer he wanted. The kid was all "oh no, I can't do that." I go "do you want a beer or not?" He goes "sure, but it's OK." I go "have a beer."

Anyhow, we chatted for a while and when we were leaving I told the barkeep to give me their tab. They go "oh no way" and I go "yes way. Now order yourself another beer and have a good night." They were nice kids.

Anyhow, check out Abner's. I likes it.

GottaHavePride
6/17/2010, 01:51 PM
Dean's good people.

Howzit
6/17/2010, 01:59 PM
Just some whiskey and a black & tan (made with Harp as it should be and not Bass).

Noooo, that is a Half and Half. Guinness and Bass is a Black and Tan.

<sigh> Gotta watch you every minute.

NormanPride
6/17/2010, 02:01 PM
Dean IS good people. Abner's is supposedly a carbon copy of McNellie's here in Tulsa. It's a great place, and the food is awesome. Have they gotten the McNellie's pub ale down there? They have a special tap for it up here and it's traditional stye - just below room temperature. Good stuff.

C&CDean
6/17/2010, 02:17 PM
Noooo, that is a Half and Half. Guinness and Bass is a Black and Tan.

<sigh> Gotta watch you every minute.

They call it a half-and-half on their beer menu, but they're wrong. Just like you sugar lips.

Actually, they're probably right, but to me Irish is Irish and British is British. If I'm going to have some Guinness, I want Irish beer in it, not British. I'm finicky like that. So it's a black and mother****ing tan. Period.

Howzit
6/17/2010, 02:21 PM
Cretin.

C&CDean
6/17/2010, 02:28 PM
Beer geek.

Howzit
6/17/2010, 02:32 PM
That's 'Beer Snob.'

I am the King Crimson of frothy and malty alcoholic beverages.

C&CDean
6/17/2010, 02:39 PM
That's 'Beer Snob.'

I am the King Crimson of frothy and schmeggy beverages.

Fag.

SoonerAtKU
6/17/2010, 02:50 PM
Oh, I see that the wiki for black and tan indicates that sometimes people use Smithwick's, which sounds pretty good to me. Anyone ever try that?

StoopTroup
6/17/2010, 02:55 PM
I'd like to see Dean out ArtWalking.

Howzit
6/17/2010, 03:01 PM
Fag.
Sphinctersmoocher.

Howzit
6/17/2010, 03:04 PM
Oh, I see that the wiki for black and tan indicates that sometimes people use Smithwick's, which sounds pretty good to me. Anyone ever try that?

It has a bit fuller body and nice finish. The subtly lessened carbonation hints of oak, while making for a smoothly applied bite.

Howzit
6/17/2010, 03:05 PM
Probably.

Collier11
6/17/2010, 03:10 PM
No atmosphere and too cramped, I am not a big fan. Good selection of booze though

Collier11
6/17/2010, 03:11 PM
Update. If you haven't tried the Wednesday $3 burgers at Abner's you're really missing out.

A 1/2 pound burger and pub fries for $3. They're damned tasty burgers - perhaps the best in Norman. If you ain't there by about 6-6:30 you'll be waiting on the sidewalk to get in on Wednesdays.

We ate there last night, and picked up a tab for a couple college geeks who sat next to us at the bar. One of the kids orders a beer and a burger, and the other orders a burger and water. His buddy goes "what, no beer?" and the kid sheepishly says "I only got $5." I told the barkeep to get him whatever beer he wanted. The kid was all "oh no, I can't do that." I go "do you want a beer or not?" He goes "sure, but it's OK." I go "have a beer."

Anyhow, we chatted for a while and when we were leaving I told the barkeep to give me their tab. They go "oh no way" and I go "yes way. Now order yourself another beer and have a good night." They were nice kids.

Anyhow, check out Abner's. I likes it.

So, when will you be there next?

C&CDean
6/17/2010, 03:14 PM
Why? You don't like the place anyhow.

Collier11
6/17/2010, 03:15 PM
I just wish it wasnt so cramped, I can find room though if there is a nice gentleman picking up bar tabs, ill even have my ol' lady smile at you :D

C&CDean
6/17/2010, 03:16 PM
I'd like to see Dean out ArtWalking.

Hell, I might do it. If I knew WTF it was.

RFH Shakes
6/17/2010, 03:25 PM
They also have a "Pint Night" on Mondays. Drink the beer keep the glass. Good place. (although they usually run out of glasses pretty quick)

C&CDean
6/17/2010, 03:26 PM
I just wish it wasnt so cramped, I can find room though if there is a nice gentleman picking up bar tabs, ill even have my ol' lady smile at you :D

She'll smile at me whether you ask her to or not, and I only pick up the tab for decent folk.

Did you know there is an upstairs? It's a lot less cramped up there.

olevetonahill
6/17/2010, 03:32 PM
The Bars ive gone to "UPSTAIRS" wernt fer drankin
jes sayin

Jello Biafra
6/17/2010, 03:35 PM

don't fall for it, thats where he took sic'em the last time he was in norman :D

C&CDean
6/17/2010, 03:37 PM
don't fall for it, thats where he took sic'em the last time he was in norman :D

I'd split Sicem in half. Besides, they don't sell zima.

C&CDean
6/17/2010, 03:39 PM
jes sayin

I could take that two ways.

In Panama, every bar had an "upstairs." And no, it wasn't for drinking.

Or, it could be because your old, drunk *** falls down the stairs?

Or, it could be both...

olevetonahill
6/17/2010, 04:04 PM
I could take that two ways.

In Panama, every bar had an "upstairs." And no, it wasn't for drinking.

Or, it could be because your old, drunk *** falls down the stairs?

Or, it could be both...

Aint never felled down no stairs :P
But yer prolly right on the "Old Drunk ***" not being able to get UP to go upstairs :O

Collier11
6/17/2010, 08:50 PM
She'll smile at me whether you ask her to or not, and I only pick up the tab for decent folk.

Yes I know...

And im a very decent person, dont let SFs fool ya ;)

Sooner in Tampa
6/17/2010, 09:06 PM
jes sayin
Vet...every bar in Olangopo is upstairs

I'm just sayin'

HBick
6/17/2010, 09:13 PM
We go there quite a bit, not so much since classes got out, it's definitely nice to get off the beaten path of the campus corner bars. Also, coaches bar area is pretty nice, the extra room with the brewery behind glass and pool tables, like 10 total and lots of hd tvs. it's just a long walk home, and a stupid drive to make if you've been drinking due to it's proximity to the NPD