PDA

View Full Version : Dilfer slams Bradford again.

primetime43
4/7/2010, 07:48 AM
When Bradford got hurt this year he slammed him for not being big enough to play in the NFL. Now he is slamming him for playing in a spread offense. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Bree's, Peyton, Brady, and the idiot in Pittsburgh all run the majority of the offense in the Shotgun? I know he is trying to make headlines but his act is getting old. I really hope Sammy proves all the haters wrong.

Trent Dilfer says Sam Bradford is "not even close to the best player in the draft"
Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2010 7:45 PM ET
With all indications pointing to Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford being the first overall pick in the 2010 draft, not every voice is trumpeting the case for Bradford.

In a recent appearance on ESPN Radio's St. Louis affiliate, ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer gave a candid assessment of the 2008 Heisman winner: "In my opinion, he's not even close to the best player in this draft."

Wow. Trent, please elaborate.

"I think he has major, major challenges ahead of him," Dilfer said. "Sam Bradford is not Mark Sanchez. He is not Matthew Stafford. He is not Matt Ryan. I would say he's not even Joe Flacco."

Dilfer explains that, in his view, Bradford hasn't been "challenged" in the college game, and that selecting Bradford could end up being a "catastrophic" mistake for the Rams.

So who does Dilfer like? He thinks that Jimmy Clausen is the best prepared to make an immediate impact, but that Colt McCoy will be the best of the bunch four years from now. Dilfer acknowledges, however, that all three players are "projects."

Dilfer could end up being right about Bradford; if Dilfer is, he'll be able to say he's one of the only ones who saw the potential problems with Bradford being the first pick.

UPDATE: As it turns out, Dilfer is represented by David Dunn's Athletes First firm, which also represents Colt McCoy. We'll leave it to others to decide whether this may have influenced Dilfer's assessment of McCoy, Bradford, and Clausen.

...sooner
4/7/2010, 08:02 AM
loser.

gaylordfan1
4/7/2010, 08:07 AM
Blah blah blah...... Bradford goes BLAM!

SoonerLB
4/7/2010, 08:15 AM
Trent Dildofer is secretly in love with 'Punchy' Clausen. Nothing else could possibly explain even thinking Punchy is in the same class as Sam when it comes to QB's.

BudSooner
4/7/2010, 08:21 AM
Considering the source, are y'all surprised? Trent was a stopgap till a better qb came along for the Ravens and Bucs......he blew harder than Linda Lovelace.

He made Scott Mitchell look like a perennial pro bowler.

Jello Biafra
4/7/2010, 08:41 AM
Considering the source, are y'all surprised? Trent was a stopgap till a better qb came along for the Ravens and Bucs......he blew harder than Linda Lovelace.

He made Scott Mitchell look like a perennial pro bowler.

aaagreed. when you are replaced by elvis grbac. anything you say as an analyst is dismissed with a quickness.

badger
4/7/2010, 08:49 AM
You know, Michael Jordan once wrote a column saying that he didn't think Lebron James was going to be a very good NBA player and that it was mostly hype that was surrounding him before the draft.

:D

ouleaf
4/7/2010, 08:51 AM
This is what Sports "Analysts" get paid to do. They pick one side of the argument and then run with it. I don't think Dilfer has anything against Bradford, Dilfer is just merely taking the opportunity to make sure that he sticks out above other "analysts" that are almost unanimously in agreement that Sam is great.

Dilfer saw an opportunity to stick out here by making his claim that Bradford will not be successful in the NFL and if he's right it's a big payoff for him. If he's wrong and Bradford is the next Brady or Montana, then so what if he was wrong. Dilfer likely won't be called out on it much and he'll move on to the next talent in question potential draftee that he can hop off their band-wagon, and all the while collect some paychecks in the process.

rawlingsHOH
4/7/2010, 08:59 AM
I respect his opinion. And I think he is right, in terms of not playing in pro-style passing game. But I think he is simply underestimating Sam as a unique, athletic, brilliant, hard-working human being.

But to then go on to say Colt McCoy??? LOL, that completely contradicts his prior comments about playing in a pro scheme. Makes you wonder if there is some hidden agenda there.

primetime43
4/7/2010, 09:03 AM
I respect his opinion. And I think he is right, in terms of not playing in pro-style passing game. But I think he is simply underestimating Sam as a unique, athletic, brilliant, hard-working human being.

But to then go on to say Colt McCoy??? LOL, that completely contradicts his prior comments about playing in a pro scheme. Makes you wonder if there is some hidden agenda there.

Totally agree with you. I think the agenda is they have the same agent.

SteelClip49
4/7/2010, 09:05 AM
Dilfer knows everything...he won a Super Bowl. Come on people.

I actually respected him...now, not so much.

Jello Biafra
4/7/2010, 09:07 AM
Dilfer knows everything...he won a Super Bowl. Come on people.

I actually respected him...now, not so much.

he didnt win a super bowl...he simply didnt lose one.

John Kochtoston
4/7/2010, 09:09 AM

Yeah, this.

Sometimes, the stupidity of people amazes me. Bradford, had he come out last season, would have gone ahead of Sanchez and was 50/50 with Stafford.

The one legitimate knock on Bradford was his durability. So, he goes out and puts on 20 pounds of muscle. Not a guarantee, but a better chance of taking the hits.

Sam's success will be dependent on the Rams assembling an offensive line in short order. He can figure out how to drop back if he has the time.

Dilfer must have received the lead-based Super Bowl ring.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/7/2010, 09:14 AM
The Oklahoma offense is not a spread O....Its not a pro style either, but its not a spread...

oumartin
4/7/2010, 09:59 AM
At least Dilfer played in the NFL, While I don't agree with him he probably knows the game alot better that those on here that think they are experts.

STEP is right, OU doesn't run a spread offense. It's more like a ferrari that had an inexperienced driver behind the wheel last year.

NormanPride
4/7/2010, 10:09 AM
Why the hell do people think we run the spread? >50% of our plays are from under center.

The_Red_Patriot
4/7/2010, 10:15 AM
Thank god nobody cares what Trent Dilfer has to say.

Bradford will go #1

Dilfer will still hold on to that super bowl season that he had very little to do with.

yankee
4/7/2010, 10:25 AM
sam wasn't challenged in college football? then how in the hell was joe flacco challenged at freaking delaware??

yermom
4/7/2010, 10:49 AM
i don't think it's with bias that i think Bradford looks the best of the three mentioned for the NFL

McCoy has gotten away with a lot of running. i don't see that happening a lot in the NFL for very long. otherwise, i think he's solid, and not that far behind Sam

Clausen seems like he throws a lot of rainbow prayers up for his awesome WRs. i don't think he's gonna get away with that in the NFL. he's just used to having better athletes IMO

badger
4/7/2010, 10:51 AM
sam wasn't challenged in college football? then how in the hell was joe flacco challenged at freaking delaware??

answer: being called a fighting hen over and over

GrapevineSooner
4/7/2010, 10:59 AM
I'm just going to assume the ESPN Radio affiliate in St. Louis didn't divulge that piece of information that Mike Florio divulged.

What we've got here...is.....conflict of interest.

Some men's objectivity, you can't reach. So you get what we had here this morning. Which is the way he wants it.

crawfish
4/7/2010, 11:17 AM
Bradford isn't big enough for the NFL, but McCoy is?

ouleaf
4/7/2010, 11:24 AM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1pvUOrxAlbg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1pvUOrxAlbg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

rawlingsHOH
4/7/2010, 11:27 AM
Why the hell do people think we run the spread? >50% of our plays are from under center.

You are right, it's about half under center. But our passing game under center isn't of pro origin. It's mostly play action based with a single read.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2010, 12:04 PM
aaagreed. when you are replaced by elvis grbac. anything you say as an analyst is dismissed with a quickness.

Well, you don't have to be a great player to be an analyst. But why worry about it? Trent is entitled to his opinion. If he really doesn't think Sam will work out, fine.

Dan Thompson
4/7/2010, 12:31 PM
You have to support the firm who pays you and if they have another QB they want to go high in the draft, then you need to bad mouth all the guys ahead of your guy.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2010, 12:39 PM
You have to support the firm who pays you and if they have another QB they want to go high in the draft, then you need to bad mouth all the guys ahead of your guy.

I do have an issue with the conflict of interest.

Jello Biafra
4/7/2010, 12:40 PM

yeh. i agree but, what im saying is dilfer?!?!? that's all you have?

why not marino? montaynia? steve young? even Y.A. tittle for christ sakes.....

someone who holds more weight...

Collier11
4/7/2010, 12:50 PM
Who cares

Pricetag
4/7/2010, 12:57 PM
Dilfer sounds like the non-Simon, non-Randy judges on "American Idol" when they decide it's time to criticize a performer. It's a lot of words, but it doesn't really say anything.

PDXsooner
4/7/2010, 01:19 PM
Who cares? No one would get this fired up if he was slamming Colt, so why get fired up about this? It's one man's opinion. Sam will get his chance to prove people wrong. He'll either succeed or flop. And it won't be because of anything Dilfer says.

GrapevineSooner
4/7/2010, 01:21 PM
I do have an issue with the conflict of interest.

That's the only beef I have with him.

The other part, I blame on the WWL's insistence on hiring spare players as commentators. ;)

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2010, 02:47 PM
yeh. i agree but, what im saying is dilfer?!?!? that's all you have?

why not marino? montaynia? steve young? even Y.A. tittle for christ sakes.....

someone who holds more weight...

I don't understand your insistence on football commentators being former superstars. Dilfer didn't have the skills of Steve Young, but he can possibly analyze QBs as well as Young.

Say what you want about Dilfer, but he has proven himself more than Heupel. In fact, Heupel never made it in the pros at all. Yet I am sure we will all agree that Heupel understands quarterbacking to a deep level. He wouldn't be where he is today unless he did.

Rickety_Syd
4/7/2010, 02:52 PM
Well, you don't have to be a great player to be an analyst. But why worry about it? Trent is entitled to his opinion. If he really doesn't think Sam will work out, fine.

Exactly . . . maybe he truly believes this or maybe he's just pulling a Skip Bayless and taking the extreme opposite side just to be different . . . if he's right, he looks like a genius . . . If he's wrong then so what, he's Trent Dilfer, he has no rep as an analyst . . . Bradford is no lock to be a superstar, so he could be right . . . not everyone is fan of Sam . . .

StoopTroup
4/7/2010, 03:25 PM
Dilfer is smarter than you two but not by much.

Jello Biafra
4/7/2010, 03:43 PM
I don't understand your insistence on football commentators being former superstars. Dilfer didn't have the skills of Steve Young, but he can possibly analyze QBs as well as Young.

and i dont have the skills of steve young either...does that mean anyone would take my opinion over badluck schleprock? come to think of it, maybe i should try out.

Say what you want about Dilfer, but he has proven himself more than Heupel. In fact, Heupel never made it in the pros at all. Yet I am sure we will all agree that Heupel understands quarterbacking to a deep level. He wouldn't be where he is today unless he did.

who the phuck is talking about heuple? shut yer azz.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2010, 04:19 PM
Exactly . . . maybe he truly believes this or maybe he's just pulling a Skip Bayless and taking the extreme opposite side just to be different . . ..

I hate people who do that.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2010, 04:23 PM
and i dont have the skills of steve young either...does that mean anyone would take my opinion over badluck schleprock? come to think of it, maybe i should try out.

We're not talking about some tv analyst who never played. Trent Dilfer certainly has tons of experience playing quarterback at both levels. He knows QBing.

Socrefbek
4/7/2010, 04:31 PM
This says all you need to know...:mad:

"UPDATE: As it turns out, Dilfer is represented by David Dunn's Athletes First firm, which also represents Colt McCoy. We'll leave it to others to decide whether this may have influenced Dilfer's assessment of McCoy, Bradford, and Clausen.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2010, 04:37 PM
This says all you need to know...:mad:

"UPDATE: As it turns out, Dilfer is represented by David Dunn's Athletes First firm, which also represents Colt McCoy. We'll leave it to others to decide whether this may have influenced Dilfer's assessment of McCoy, Bradford, and Clausen.

As has been discussed.

prrriiide
4/7/2010, 09:12 PM
Bradford has more QB talent in his left thumb than that sack of smegma had in his entire career as a QB. PUH-LEEEZE!! That's like Truman Capote calling Al Capone a pansy.

This is what Sports "Analysts" get paid to do.

Correction #1: Dilfer is an anal-cyst.

At least Dilfer played in the NFL

Correction #2: Dilfer stumbled around in the NFL.

The irony is that this is coming from the only QB in NFL history to "win" a Super Bowl, and then get released for the next season.

UPDATE: As it turns out, Dilfer is represented by David Dunn's Athletes First firm, which also represents Colt McCoy. We'll leave it to others to decide whether this may have influenced Dilfer's assessment of McCoy, Bradford, and Clausen.

Trent, you done been exposed!!

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3433862/2/istockphoto_3433862-the-flasher.jpg

BoulderSooner79
4/7/2010, 11:10 PM
None of these guys are keepers of the NFL checkbooks and those guys aren't talking. Although the Rams did release Bulgar and sign a journeyman backup, if you consider that talking.

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2010, 11:11 PM
Bradford has more QB talent in his left thumb than that sack of smegma had in his entire career as a QB. PUH-LEEEZE!! That's like Truman Capote calling Al Capone a pansy.

Let's not get carried away. Dilfer's college career was just about as stellar as Bradford's and, unlike Bradford, he has NFL experience.

The irony is that this is coming from the only QB in NFL history to "win" a Super Bowl, and then get released for the next season.

His pro career was a lot better than you are making it sound. He's won a lot of games with teams that were not winning games with other QBs. The NFL wouldn't have had him playing for 13 years unless he had some skills.

BTW, Doug Williams lost the starting job to Rypien the year following his Super Bowl win, which is worse.

Tigeman
4/7/2010, 11:15 PM
Did anyone watch the Bradford special they did on "inside the draft" on the NFL network? One thing they kept talking about was how OU's offensive scheme sets Bradford up perfectly for the NFL. They discussed how we weren't really a typical spread, but are actually a model of how many NFL teams are leaning towards now. They were calling it "the future of NFL offenses". I don't 100% agree... but hey, these were 4 NFL players and the spread is starting to show up more and more in the NFL, so I'll roll with it! :rolleyes:

gaylordfan1
4/7/2010, 11:38 PM
Trent is sad about what he said.....

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2010, 12:01 AM
Not cool.

gaylordfan1
4/8/2010, 12:09 AM
Who? You? :)

Dang LL, you need to relax. Have you not unbuttoned your collar and taken off the tie from lecture today?

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2010, 12:13 AM
Trent was talking about losing his five year old son to cancer and you want to use the pic to poke fun at him?

I am probably the most heartless person here but even I wouldn't stoop that low.

gaylordfan1
4/8/2010, 12:23 AM
Sorry, honestly I had no idea about that. I googled his name and picked a picture to post. I feel terrible now. Do you really think anyone in their right mind would do such a thing? Sorry about this one guys... I didn't know.

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2010, 12:25 AM
Sorry, honestly I had no idea about that. I googled his name and picked a picture to post. I feel terrible now. Do you really think anyone in their right mind would do such a thing? Sorry about this one guys... I didn't know.

No big.

Tigeman
4/8/2010, 12:40 AM
As much as I wanna bash the guy, this probably is true.

Dilfer denies claims (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/07/trent-dilfer-denies-conflict-of-interest-regarding-colt-mccoy/)

gotpoi73
4/8/2010, 12:46 PM
Did Eagles trade McNabb so Redskins wouldn't draft Bradford?

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 8, 2010 12:31 PM ET

Why did the Philadelphia Eagles trade their starting quarterback, Donovan McNabb, to the division rival Washington Redskins? The trade could have been motivated in part to keep Washington from drafting Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

At least, that's the theory floated by Adam Schefter of ESPN, who reports that multiple NFL executives firmly believe that the Eagles wanted to block the Redskins from taking Bradford. The executives Schefter talked to say the Eagles are high on Bradford and don't want to have to play against him twice a year for the next decade.

So the Eagles figured that if they shipped McNabb to Washington and took two draft picks from the Redskins in the process, they'd make the Redskins less likely to want to draft a quarterback and also take away some of the picks the Redskins would have needed to move up and take Bradford.

There's a perception among many league observers that teams shouldn't make trades within their divisions because it's dangerous to strengthen a divisional opponent's roster. But maybe the Eagles think that what really would have strengthened the Redskins is drafting Bradford.

food for thought

soonerspudman
4/8/2010, 01:16 PM
Did Eagles trade McNabb so Redskins wouldn't draft Bradford?

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 8, 2010 12:31 PM ET

Why did the Philadelphia Eagles trade their starting quarterback, Donovan McNabb, to the division rival Washington Redskins? The trade could have been motivated in part to keep Washington from drafting Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

At least, that's the theory floated by Adam Schefter of ESPN, who reports that multiple NFL executives firmly believe that the Eagles wanted to block the Redskins from taking Bradford. The executives Schefter talked to say the Eagles are high on Bradford and don't want to have to play against him twice a year for the next decade.

So the Eagles figured that if they shipped McNabb to Washington and took two draft picks from the Redskins in the process, they'd make the Redskins less likely to want to draft a quarterback and also take away some of the picks the Redskins would have needed to move up and take Bradford.

There's a perception among many league observers that teams shouldn't make trades within their divisions because it's dangerous to strengthen a divisional opponent's roster. But maybe the Eagles think that what really would have strengthened the Redskins is drafting Bradford.

food for thought

Much more likely that the Skins have the inside scoop that Bradford won't be available for them so they're moving proactively to cover their QB needs, just one more leading indicator that Sam's going #1

Widescreen
4/8/2010, 01:20 PM
This is silly speculation. It's not like the Eagles could force the Redskins to take McNabb. If the Redskins had wanted Bradford (assuming he was available to them) more than McNabb, they would've gone after Bradford.

opksooner
4/8/2010, 03:04 PM
"Dilfer slams Bradford again."

BFD. Another esshole with an opinion!

........oh......wait!

Never mind.

gotpoi73
4/8/2010, 03:44 PM
This is silly speculation. It's not like the Eagles could force the Redskins to take McNabb. If the Redskins had wanted Bradford (assuming he was available to them) more than McNabb, they would've gone after Bradford.

it's all speculation until the draft, however shefty is usually spot on and it does make sense. silly in your opinion,but i don't think so, until football season starts again, there is nothing better to do than to talk about sooners and ou football

rawlingsHOH
4/8/2010, 04:28 PM
it's all speculation until the draft, however shefty is usually spot on and it does make sense. silly in your opinion,but i don't think so, until football season starts again, there is nothing better to do than to talk about sooners and ou football

yeah, he was all over the vikings/favre saga! /rolleyes

Collier11
4/8/2010, 04:31 PM
Shefter is the most generic sports reporter ive ever seen, he basically takes internet rumors and reports them. Remember the Stoops deal, ive never seen him report anything that I hadnt already seen online

rawlingsHOH
4/8/2010, 04:50 PM

How do you know they didn't?

Not to mention, McNabb comes cheap, Bradford would have cost a lot more than a 2 and a 4, or whatever they traded for DMc.

Scott D
4/8/2010, 05:22 PM
Schefter is that kid who was always listening for gossip up in the ceiling over the girl's bathroom.

silverwheels
4/8/2010, 05:43 PM
Except gay.

Q22
4/9/2010, 12:22 AM
Let's not forget the only reason dilhole has a super bowl ring is because the 2000 ravens D was arguably equal to or better than the 85 bears defense. I bet ryan leaf would've won a ring starting for that team.

Leroy Lizard
4/9/2010, 02:18 AM
Dilfer took over in 2000 replacing Tony Banks, who somehow wasn't able to live off the defense like you suggest. In fact, the Ravens were on their way to a disastrous season until Dilfer took over. (They won their last seven with Dilfer at QB.)

They didn't win any rings before Dilfer got there, and they didn't win any after he left.

Admittedly he was one of the weaker Super Bowl QBs, but let's not overdo it.

Collier11
4/9/2010, 02:23 AM
Dilfer played well that season, not great but well

SoonerAtKU
4/9/2010, 08:34 AM
Yes, Dilfer was better than Tony Banks. Absolutely.

rawlingsHOH
4/9/2010, 09:17 AM
I finally heard Dilfer's comments this morning, on the Mike and Mike show. It's a fair opinion.

soonerfan69
4/10/2010, 12:05 PM
Why the hell would anyone care what the hell Dicksucker thinks **** him

tulsaoilerfan
4/10/2010, 06:49 PM
Really why does anyone care what some blowhard in the media thinks? I still don't get why some people on here get so upset at stuff like this

JLEW1818
4/10/2010, 06:58 PM
i pooped on his face

IronHorseSooner
4/11/2010, 01:15 AM
Hey, as Boomer Berman used to say "there goes another Dilfer-ception." As for Dilfer having just as good a college career as Sam, I don't think he won two conference titles in two seasons, won a Heisman, played for a National Championship, QBed the highest scoring team in the modern era, and/or had an unbelievable QB rating. He just wants to stir the pot, and pump up another guy who has the same agent. It is no different than saying Coke is better than Pepsi because you own stock in Coke.

gaylordfan1
4/11/2010, 01:29 AM
I agree with him ^

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2010, 01:32 AM
Hey, as Boomer Berman used to say "there goes another Dilfer-ception." As for Dilfer having just as good a college career as Sam, I don't think he won two conference titles in two seasons,

Fresno State won or shared three in a row under Dilfer.

... won a Heisman, played for a National Championship, QBed the highest scoring team in the modern era, and/or had an unbelievable QB rating. He just wants to stir the pot, and pump up another guy who has the same agent. It is no different than saying Coke is better than Pepsi because you own stock in Coke.

He led the nation in passing proficiency and was chosen #6 overall in the draft, despite leaving after his junior year. Set the then-record of 271 passes without an INT. WAC offensive player of the year.

Dilfer was a damn good college QB. After all he did win the Sammy Baugh Award. But he didn't have the luxury of playing for Oklahoma.

BTW, without Gresham, Bradford's offense was not going to come anywhere close to the NCAA scoring record. Dilfer never had anyone of Gresham's caliber playing for him.

gaylordfan1
4/11/2010, 01:36 AM
Yes, LL agrees...YES...playing for OKLAHOMA pays off! Lets hope so for Sammy B.

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2010, 02:01 AM
Yes, LL agrees...YES...playing for OKLAHOMA pays off! Lets hope so for Sammy B.

Of course it pays off.

I will let Sammy B hope that Sammy B gets chosen top pick.

stoopified
4/11/2010, 12:12 PM
he didnt win a super bowl...he simply didnt lose one. :D