PDA

View Full Version : We got rid of Tebow, so ESPN has anointed another.... guess who

Tigeman
4/6/2010, 06:26 PM
Just when we thought we had got rid of "our Savior" and all would return to normal...the crack heads at ESPN have anointed another one. Should have seen this coming after their infatuation after the mNCG. So the saga begins, as they are already talking about him being in his next mNCG. Are you kidding me?... he hasn't done ANYTHING .... YET at least. Wait till he plays a season before they announce him the second coming. If they wanna talk about someone, go talk about Cincinnati's QB this year who actually did step up in a Back-up role w/o missing a beat. Sounds like * has become the new SuC. As SuC has become soiled in ESPN's eyes I think, same goes for CUM... at least until the season starts.

But for the read Gilbert Grape sets the house on fire (Pun Intended) (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5055391)

AUSTIN, Texas -- Garrett Gilbert had barely finished his first big day as Texas' starting quarterback when coach Mack Brown was hit with the big question.

Can he lead Texas to the national championship?

"I think so because he's been around and played a lot," Brown said Sunday after Gilbert was 10 of 13 passing for 165 yards and three touchdowns in Texas' annual spring scrimmage. "We don't want it all on Garrett's shoulders, but I think the fact that he played in the one this year will help him next year."

Gilbert was still a freshman sitting behind senior Colt McCoy when he was thrust into last season's BCS championship game against Alabama after McCoy got hurt on Texas' first drive.

Texas lost 37-21 and Gilbert was shaky in the first half. It was his strong second half -- including two touchdown passes to Jordan Shipley that rallied Texas to within 24-21 -- that told the Longhorns they had the right guy for their future.

Gilbert won't get his first start until Sept. 4 against Rice, but his teammates say he's already taking over as the team leader.

"It's his team now," senior offensive tackle Kyle Hix said. "In the national championship game, he came in there and established himself as the leader of the offense."

Gilbert looked confident on Sunday, throwing touchdown passes to Barrett Matthews, DeSean Hales and Tre' Newton and showing off a strong arm on some throws and a soft touch on others.

On his final series, Gilbert fired a rocket of a pass toward the sideline that Hales snagged over a defender's shoulder. On the next play, Gilbert threw a soft sideline pass that dropped right to Newton in stride for a touchdown.

Gilbert came to Texas with plenty of physical talent. He's among the Texas career high school passing leaders and won two state championships before signing with the Longhorns as one of the top recruits in the country.

Now he's taking over for McCoy, who won an NCAA record 45 games as a starter and was twice a finalist for the Heisman Trophy. Gilbert said he's growing as a leader.

"Leadership was a goal of mine going into the spring," he said.

He'll have to do more before August training camp. It will be his job to take command of summer passing drills when NCAA rules prohibit the coaches from being around.

Gilbert was jokingly asked if he'd like to win 45 games.

"There's not enough time for that," he said.

On Sunday, Texas put Gilbert under center more than McCoy was most of his career. The Longhorns are trying to boost a running game that was unreliable at best last season. Fozzy Whittaker led all rushers with 42 yards on 11 carries.

The new formations set up better play-action passing for Gilbert than the shotgun did for McCoy. Several of Gilbert's longest passes came off play-action passes.

"I was pretty excited about our offenses today," Gilbert said.

The Longhorns are definitely excited about him.

JLEW1818
4/6/2010, 06:30 PM
until Gilbert cuts penis head, he aint nothing.

Tigeman
4/6/2010, 07:15 PM
Have his nuts even dropped yet?

Just wait for his first big stat game against middle of no-where BFE ST., the Heisman talk will start out of the talking heads.

JLEW1818
4/6/2010, 07:34 PM
he will lead his team to a dangerous hostile environment, when the horns travel to Reliant Stadium (Houston Texans Stadium) to play Rice.

Herr Scholz
4/6/2010, 07:43 PM

Just wait for his first big stat game against middle of no-where BFE ST., the Heisman talk will start out of the talking heads.

We play @Tech and host UCLA in September. It won't be long until he's tested again.

badger
4/6/2010, 07:45 PM
ESPN annointed USC's golden boy the future Heisman trophy winner last fall. Lol :D

yankee
4/6/2010, 07:49 PM
We play @Tech and host UCLA in September. It won't be long until he's tested again.

ucla won't be a test, don't kid yourself...if it is...well, texas is in for a long season. i think tech will be a test.

Tigeman
4/6/2010, 08:00 PM
ESPN annointed USC's golden boy the future Heisman trophy winner last fall. Lol :D

Yeah but petey left and they are avoiding them cause of the black eye they have right now. Make no mistake though...he'll make a nice runner up story for them :P

sooneron
4/6/2010, 09:38 PM
42 yds on 11 carries? Yikes, that right there is a running game to be reckoned with!

OU-HSV
4/6/2010, 11:25 PM
The Longhorns and ESPN are definitely excited about him.
fixed

prrriiide
4/7/2010, 01:28 AM

Too late...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/columns/story?columnist=luginbill_tom&page=predictions09/recruiting

[+] Enlargehttp://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0820/rise_sao_sept08_gilbert05_300.jpg (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/columns/story?columnist=luginbill_tom&page=predictions09/recruiting#) Mark Greenberg for ESPNRISEGarrett Gilbert has the skills to become the first Texas QB to win the Heisman Trophy.

6. Texas commit QB Garrett Gilbert (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=55056) (Austin, Texas/Lake Travis) will win the Heisman Trophy … before his senior year.

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/982I6vVB/998649.jpg

Rickety_Syd
4/7/2010, 03:31 AM
Just when we thought we had got rid of "our Savior" and all would return to normal...the crack heads at ESPN have anointed another one. Should have seen this coming after their infatuation after the mNCG. So the saga begins, as they are already talking about him being in his next mNCG. Are you kidding me?... he hasn't done ANYTHING .... YET at least. Wait till he plays a season before they announce him the second coming. If they wanna talk about someone, go talk about Cincinnati's QB this year who actually did step up in a Back-up role w/o missing a beat. Sounds like * has become the new SuC. As SuC has become soiled in ESPN's eyes I think, same goes for CUM... at least until the season starts.

But for the read Gilbert Grape sets the house on fire (Pun Intended) (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5055391)

Read that story and not once did the ESPN writer "anoint" the kid as the next Heisman winner or saying he was definitely leading Texas to the title game. The dude was covering Texas' spring game and naturally the focus was on the new quarterback. He had a good scrimmage and the writer said as much. No real reason for anyone to lose their sh!t over it, jeez.

Half a Hundred
4/7/2010, 07:46 AM
The Texas QB is going to be relevant as long as he isn't a complete scrub. Non-story.

OUster
4/7/2010, 11:46 AM
The only way this kids wins the Heisman is if he does as VY and McCoy did... that is he calls his own plays contrary to Davis. If that does not happen, Texas will turn back into the team that got beat five in a row.

sooneron
4/7/2010, 04:08 PM
Nice 'do

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_N0RlatNrEZI/Sy7IKVknqDI/AAAAAAAABcw/DYXIPQWQ7Ek/s400/2760-5456.gif

Herr Scholz
4/7/2010, 04:13 PM
Really? That's a picture from his Soph. year. And did you ever catch that mop that Bradford was sporting for a few years in college? Looked like he cut it with a dull spoon.

badger
4/7/2010, 05:22 PM
OK Herr the Horn, not knocking your QB (yet) but I think we can all agree that there are many talented players out there that have all of the talent but will never be a Heisman recipient.

Your VY didn't get it, our Adrian Peterson didn't get it. Sometimes, talented players in college just don't have the politickin' they need to get little Stiffy Arm.

On that note, Gilbert's not gonna win the Heisman for the same reason Chrissy Simms never won the Heisman

(because he couldn't beat OU or win a championship, conference or national)

lolololololol :D

Tigeman
4/7/2010, 05:48 PM
Read that story and not once did the ESPN writer "anoint" the kid as the next Heisman winner or saying he was definitely leading Texas to the title game. The dude was covering Texas' spring game and naturally the focus was on the new quarterback. He had a good scrimmage and the writer said as much. No real reason for anyone to lose their sh!t over it, jeez.

Who's losing sh!t over it? Since when can we not pick on *? Maybe your not a Sooner fan, if you wanna let * slide w/o a little friendy ribbing. It's the offseason.... we gotta have something to do! But since I'm bored...I'll address your questions. Here's quote some areas that I was specifically speaking to, not necessarily only from this article... but from ESPN!

Can he lead Texas to the national championship?
"I think so because he's been around and played a lot," - Mack

This was a retarded question that did not need to be asked. Of course Mack's gonna say yes. But the question was asked... the only reason you would include it in your article, is to fluff * some. But you are correct, the author didn't state it was his personal opinion....but others at ESPiN have.

Texas commit QB Garrett Gilbert (Austin, Texas/Lake Travis) will win the Heisman Trophy … before his senior year.

told the Longhorns they had the right guy for their future.
Let the anointment begin.... a flood starts with a tiny crack in the dam. Just watch... the love fest is coming!

But the fact of the matter is we're having a little a fun w/ * and the kid, and that's it. Now untwist your panties, and go have a beer!

Tigeman
4/7/2010, 05:58 PM
Of course Prrriiide.... if we look at Luginbill's other efforts there.... it might be a good sign for us!

1. After landing ESPN's top-rated recruiting class in 2008 -- and with another very good class on the way in 2009, led by RB Bryce Brown (Wichita, Kan./East) -- the Miami Hurricanes will win the ACC in 2009 and go to a BCS bowl.

Yeah.... we see how well BOTH (Bryce Brown being one) of those worked out!

7. Thanks to the recruiting classes landed in 2008 and 2009, USC will win the national championship by 2011. The Pac-10 championship is nearly a foregone conclusion since they play in a down Pac-10. If they don't, either the coaches aren't coaching or the players have dramatically underachieved.

Or the coach has left! LOL. Don't forget those looming sanctions... I guess ESPN didn't wanna acknowledge that SuC could be dirty! Don't see this one happening any time real soon.

2. Athlete Russell Shepard (Houston/Cy-Ridge) will start multiple games for LSU as a true freshman, but maybe not at QB. Look for him to play all over the place.

Apparently Les didn't get the memo yet!

The other stuff... eh.... not pertinent to us as they are scrub teams, and yet to be seen anyways!

I Am Right
4/7/2010, 08:15 PM

Texas Sucks

gaylordfan1
4/7/2010, 08:17 PM
Well, if my memory serves me correctly, * only had real success with a mobile QB (Young and Mccoy). This Gilby kid is a pocket passer correct? Plus, I don't think * has a Shipley caliber WR this year. The kid opened up the offense last year in several ways. His threat downfield allowed Colty to take off and get yards on the run. They also had such good chemistry... Shipley was really good at getting open and coming back to Colt as he scrambled in the backfield. So, IMO * has lost their 2 big time playmakers. Not saying * won't be good this year, but I think this years offense will be a different style that Mack hasn't had in quite some time.

prrriiide
4/7/2010, 08:58 PM
Not saying * won't be good this year, but I think this years offense will be a different style that Mack hasn't had in quite some time.

And it's a style that has generally not been successful against Stoops-led Sooners (Paging M. Simms...Mr. Chrissy Simms...please pick up the white courtesy telephone on the sideline...).

josh09
4/8/2010, 12:10 AM
He's still 18 years old. He's younger than me, it's kind of hard to believe.

I think, with as much of a non-biased opinion as I can muster, that he leads texass to a significant bowl, but not a BCS. Maybe in the future, but not yet. Not mature enough, and as for October 2nd, we should handle him pretty well.

King Barry's Back
4/8/2010, 03:51 AM
ucla won't be a test, don't kid yourself...if it is...well, texas is in for a long season. i think tech will be a test.

Are you talking about TEXAS Tech? A second-rung team, a program in disarray, an unknown/untested coach?

Yeah, the Sand Ags can be tough in Lubbock, but they're hardly a national champiohsip contender.

And their athletic adminstration are a bunch of rank amateurs, by the way.

IronHorseSooner
4/10/2010, 10:07 AM
I will guar-an-darn-tee that Landry has better numbers against a better schedule coming into the RRR this year. If so The Stache better be in the Heisman talk. Wow, I don't get it about Gilbert Grape. He was responsible for 5 turnovers. Yes, he did have two nice TD passes, but unless they can find a way for Shipley to return, his receivers looked like OUr receivers last year- skillet hands.

He'll be good, but drop-back QBs have not done well in that system. The successful QBs in that system improvised- Applewhite, VY, and McCoy. BTW, they better find a running game, or he will be target practice for the likes of Beal, Wort, the Lewises, and Frank Alexander.

yankee
4/11/2010, 01:29 AM
Yeah, the Sand Ags can be tough in Lubbock, but they're hardly a national champiohsip contender.

thanks for the input captain o...also, try not to put words in my mouth next time. ;)

Salt City Sooner
4/11/2010, 12:07 PM
OK Herr the Horn, not knocking your QB (yet) but I think we can all agree that there are many talented players out there that have all of the talent but will never be a Heisman recipient.

Your VY didn't get it, our Adrian Peterson didn't get it. Sometimes, talented players in college just don't have the politickin' they need to get little Stiffy Arm.

On that note, Gilbert's not gonna win the Heisman for the same reason Chrissy Simms never won the Heisman

(because he couldn't beat OU or win a championship, conference or national)

lolololololol :D
Would've helped if he hadn't been splitting his home region's vote down the middle with his own teammate. JDub got more first place votes than AD did.

http://www.heisman.com/winners/m-leinart04.php

OK2U
4/11/2010, 11:15 PM
The media also seem poised to annoint the Brantley kid out of Florida.