PDA

View Full Version : Coburn on Faux News

yermom
4/6/2010, 01:55 PM
interesting to hear from him...

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/04/coburn-to-town-hall-dont-believe-everything-you-hear-on-fox-news.php?ref=fbfp

Hold on to your hats. At a town hall meeting in Oklahoma City last week, staunch conservative Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) defended House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, disparaged Fox News and told a constituent her fears about the health care law were unfounded.

When a woman in the audience asked Coburn if it was illegal for the government to jail citizens for not complying with the new health care law, Coburn responded by blaming TV news, and Fox News in particular, for that false rumor:

"The intention is not to put anybody in jail," Coburn said. "That makes for good TV news on Fox, but that isn't the intention."

Later, when his audience started to boo at the mention of Pelosi, Coburn stopped them.

"Come on now... how many of you all have met her? She's a nice person," Coburn said. "Just because somebody disagrees with you, doesn't mean they're not a good person."

"Don't catch yourself being biased by Fox News that somebody's no good," Coburn added.

Coburn urged audience members to widen their points of view by reading and watching different media outlets, not just the ones they agree with.

"Don't just watch Fox News or CNN, watch them both," Coburn said. He said he read both The Washington Post and The New York Times -- plus The Wall Street Journal -- and urged his audience to do likewise. "Listen to the other side, because what it does, it makes you a better person."

You can hear audio of the exchanges here.

OklahomaTuba
4/6/2010, 02:00 PM
Not a better person serving in the US Senate then that man right there.

JohnnyMack
4/6/2010, 02:00 PM
Coburn urged audience members to widen their points of view by reading and watching different media outlets, not just the ones they agree with.

"Don't just watch Fox News or CNN, watch them both," Coburn said. He said he read both The Washington Post and The New York Times -- plus The Wall Street Journal -- and urged his audience to do likewise. "Listen to the other side, because what it does, it makes you a better person."

What???? That's crazy talk!!!!!!

OklahomaTuba
4/6/2010, 02:02 PM
Just don't ask him what he thinks about the Tulsa World.

tommieharris91
4/6/2010, 02:08 PM
Can't wait for "This message is hidden because RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! is on your ignore list."

sooner59
4/6/2010, 02:11 PM
I don't have a problem with Coburn. Seems like a legit guy. Lightyears ahead of Inhofe, IMO.

Fraggle145
4/6/2010, 05:46 PM
I don't have a problem with Coburn. Seems like a legit guy. Lightyears ahead of Inhofe, IMO.

I dont dislike Coburn either, but this isnt really that much of an accomplishment.

sooner59
4/6/2010, 08:07 PM
I dont dislike Coburn either, but this isnt really that much of an accomplishment.

I know. :D

RACHEL MADDOW is my clone
4/6/2010, 11:05 PM
WHY DIDN'T HE SAY ANYTHING ABOUT MSNBC!?!?!?!

sooner59
4/6/2010, 11:46 PM

True. He didn't. So based on what he did say, either MSNBC doesn't spin like CNN and Fox, or he doesn't view them as a news source at all. Given his republican background, I would say door #2. But in reality, he was probably just on a rant and it didn't cross his mind at the time.

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2010, 11:47 PM
Vote his *** out.

yermom
4/14/2010, 05:21 PM
http://www.newsweek.com/id/236309

Fox's promotion of tea-party protests might be a case in point. While publicizing anger at President Obama may have seemed to serve the GOP's short-term interests, there are now prominent Republican officeholders with strong chances in a general election, such as Charlie Crist and John McCain, battling in competitive primaries against tea-party favorites who might be less likely to win over Democrats and independents this fall.

keep at it, guys :D

SCOUT
4/14/2010, 11:02 PM
http://www.newsweek.com/id/236309

keep at it, guys :D

Are you saying that people should stop voting for the candidates they believe represent them so that the overall party can win?

I thought you were more of the third party/vote for what's right mold than that.

sarcasm aside, of course. :D

SicEmBaylor
4/15/2010, 12:55 AM

Because nobody watches it?

SicEmBaylor
4/15/2010, 12:57 AM
I have a limitless amount of respect for Sen. Coburn. He is absolutely 100% right about this.

I've said it a billion times, but I'll say it again. He, DeMint, and Sessions are the only 3 Senators worthy of their office.