PDA

View Full Version : Howard S.

SteelClip49
4/6/2010, 11:27 AM
Miami fans and Louisville fans I know think Bourbon Boy was fired because we were pissed about a 5-5-1 record. I keep telling them it was because of his abuse towards players not being properly dehydrated and that he wanted Sooner Nation to forget about the legacy and proud traditions of Bud and Barry. I also threw something in there about how his wife destroyed papers or something?

I was only 12 and never actually knew everything that led to his firing. Could any of you fill me in on the details so I can provide some better material?

Thanks.

Stitch Face
4/6/2010, 11:29 AM
There's nothing more dangerous than an improperly dehydrated player...or something

Breadburner
4/6/2010, 11:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu7sTSnRp3g

Bourbon St Sooner
4/6/2010, 11:43 AM
Who cares what thug u and pizza u think.

sooner_born_1960
4/6/2010, 11:45 AM
If he was an 11-0 meanie, he would have kept his job.

badger
4/6/2010, 11:58 AM
To see how Sooner fans really feel about him, type out his full name.

You will find that it does not change into "guywholostalot" or "guywhopizzedontradition" Both can be forgivable offenses for a first-year coach heading in the right direction.

The thing that it changes into shows that he embarrassed us by other actions in addition to losing a lot and pizzing on tradition. Like :eddie: did to OSU.

SoonerLB
4/6/2010, 12:06 PM
Just what is the proper way to dehydrate? ;)

swardboy
4/6/2010, 12:20 PM
By staring at your avatar.

Jello Biafra
4/6/2010, 01:24 PM
one of the first things he did to get fired (at least in my mind) is thumbing over his shoulder to a picture of bud wilkinson and asks "whos the old guy?"

o yeh and theres a loss to colorado (which they were thumping soundly in the first half)

then next was the statements he made to the press about our lineman being fat and out of shape... have you ever seen a group of 260 lb olineman block 300lb DTs? not pretty.

then i think the straw that broke the booze hounds back was the 12-0 loss AT HOME to a terrible osu team. the LosuR had coins made for gods sake. they made coins.

coins.

do you understand ?LosuR hadn't beaten us in 19 years....

LePetomaine
4/6/2010, 01:35 PM
Howard's record was not the reason he got run. When the hire was first made, I thought it was a great choice; so did many others. He and his staff initially generated a load of excitement with their little caravan around the state; but once the real work started, it went down hill fast. They alienated many alumni and former players, trying to put their own stamp on the program. Next, his act (and his wife's act) around town was an embarassment. When the grumbling began and one of his coordinators stated to a reporter (and I paraphrase) "OU fans are just ignorant red-necks", the powers that be just decided that this experiment was a mistake. Time to make a change.

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2010, 02:25 PM
I think you are referring to Gary Nord, who said that he didn't see a lot of teeth in the mouths of the people he encountered in rural Oklahoma. He was trying to retort against someone who made a similar comment about Kentuckians. It was an ill-advised attempt at humor.

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2010, 02:28 PM
then next was the statements he made to the press about our lineman being fat and out of shape... have you ever seen a group of 260 lb olineman block 300lb DTs? not pretty.

He said this during the Copper Bowl when Gibbs was coaching. His comment was largely applauded because (1) it was true and (2) it made him appear like a disciplinarian.

He did get the team in better shape. I'll give him that much.

The Brian Ailey incident did him in more than anything else. Without it, he would have stayed on.

Jello Biafra
4/6/2010, 02:29 PM
I think you are referring to Gary Nord, who said that he didn't see a lot of teeth in the mouths of the people he encountered in rural Oklahoma. He was trying to retort against someone who made a similar comment about Kentuckians. It was an ill-advised attempt at humor.

yeh...whats he doing now? after the *** whippings he's taken here in our stadium both for and against us, he has certainly been quiet.

Jello Biafra
4/6/2010, 02:30 PM
He said this during the Copper Bowl when Gibbs was coaching. His comment was largely applauded because (1) it was true and (2) it made him appear like a disciplinarian.

He did get the team in better shape. I'll give him that much.

The Brian Ailey incident did him in more than anything else. Without it, he would have stayed on.

in shape yes...in FOOTBALL shape meh not so much...like i implied, we got whipped in the trenches on a weekly basis no matter who we played.

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2010, 04:02 PM
I think the team genuinely benefited from Howie's emphasis on conditioning. He took it too far, unfortunately.

I look at Howie as being roughly equivalent to Gibbs and a step above Blake. We didn't gain much from Howie, but we didn't lose much either.* It would have been just like another year with Gibbs.

* Not taking into account Ailey's injury, which was inexcusable.

agoo758
4/6/2010, 04:55 PM
Ok everyone, time to laugh at my ignorance. But would like to the brief summary of this "Ailey" incident, and yes, I have tried google and wikipedia, andit was to no avail.:rolleyes:

agoo758
4/6/2010, 04:56 PM
Ok everyone, time to laugh at my ignorance. But would like to the brief summary of this "Ailey" incident, and yes, I have tried google and wikipedia, andit was to no avail.:rolleyes:

Forget this guys, I found it. Sorry about that.:(

Salt City Sooner
4/6/2010, 06:10 PM
yeh...whats he doing now? after the *** whippings he's taken here in our stadium both for and against us, he has certainly been quiet.
http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/nord_gary00.html

Jello Biafra
4/7/2010, 08:26 AM
http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/nord_gary00.html

heh so nothing...

Crimsontothecore
4/7/2010, 10:14 AM

His exact comment was, "I haven't seen a full set of teeth in two weeks".
This comment was made after the conclusion of the two week state -wide tour.

crawfish
4/7/2010, 11:20 AM
Howard S. was fired because Boren hated him. Everything else was an excuse.

He also didn't make many friends among the Norman business community. He was an arrogant *** who didn't realize that his accomplishments were actually very meager when compared with OU history.