PDA

View Full Version : I know why alot of the nation cheered for Boise against us

Tigeman
4/5/2010, 09:43 PM
While watching this NCG, and hoping to hell that Duke loses...I now see why the nation was so infatuated with Boise beating us. Even if we did over achieve that year (much like Duke has to me). The nation still looked at us as the big bad guy there to beat up on the little guy. I've understood the concept all along, just never quite got it..... till now!

That being said.... go Butler....lol.

Curly Bill
4/5/2010, 09:45 PM
I hope Duke ends up winning. I don't want to hear for the next twenty years what a great story Butler winning is.

Hell, I'm sick of it as it is.

BTW: I generally can't stand Duke, but I hope they beat Butler.

badger
4/5/2010, 09:57 PM
How has Duke overachieved? They are loaded. Three great post players, a 6'8 swing man that can play anywhere on the court, an assassin of a PG, and a bunch of McD's AA role players. What about them is "overachieving"?

Tigeman
4/5/2010, 10:42 PM
Very much like our sooners that same year. The tools were there, but on the field it just didn't show up. If you look at their regular season they were not a top team if you ask me. I don't know a single person who picked them to be in the finals on their bracket.... I'm sure someone on here will step in and say "I did"...lol. That being said... if you compare their regular season to their tourney run.... they overachieved this tourney. They should have been out a few times this tourney. Maybe lucky is a better term than overachieving.

But we're talking about our football team here.... not the basketball game! :P

Leroy Lizard
4/5/2010, 11:01 PM
I almost always root against the little guys. I can't stand "heartwarming stories." I hope Duke crushes the crap out of them.

Curly Bill
4/6/2010, 12:16 PM
Heartwarming stories wouldn't be near so bad if the media didn't just wear us out with them. Even with Butler losing I've already heard enough Hoosiers comparisons to last me a good while.

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2010, 12:37 PM
But the Hoosiers were winners.

KantoSooner
4/6/2010, 12:39 PM
I think Leroy's post has a lot to do with it.

For many out there, WE are the little guys.

And it annoys the hell out of them when our football program routinely ranks among the elite. We're supposed to stare at the coastal schools, Texas and Michigan/tOSU with bucolic awe and wish to be so cool. So it hurts when we, generally, do better.

jumperstop
4/6/2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah even after they lost, all they talked about was Butler and what could have been. I mean it would have been a good story and all, and don't get me wrong I was rooting for them to be Duke, but it just seems like espn went overboard with their coverage of the cinderella that didn't even end up happening. Of course espn beats the dead horse with everything, how many of you guys are still interested in Tiger Woods after the past few months? After college football season was over they couldn't talk about Teblow anymore, so they had to move on to their next man crush.

BoulderSooner79
4/6/2010, 01:06 PM
OU may be "the little guy" overall, but due to history, we are an 800lb gorilla in the CFB world and thus are generally hated. It's annoying that it is considered a monumental upset if we lose to a highly rated, undefeated team like BSU in one of our down years, but it's a small price to pay. Being hated due to elite status is a good thing.

Scott D
4/6/2010, 01:15 PM
I think it's because the entire Duke roster is gay.

JLEW1818
4/6/2010, 01:18 PM
Boise is a top 10 program of the last decade

ccmike9
4/6/2010, 01:24 PM

That's so true

Tigeman
4/6/2010, 04:35 PM
Boise is a top 10 program of the last decade

This right here is exactly my point! That was why I never understood why it was a such a big deal to some. To me, they were supposed to beat us. Hell, they were even ranked higher than us at the time. Fast forward to last night.

Butler was seeded lower than Duke, but many I know (including me) thought Butler would pull it out. That being said, even if we believed so, I still think I would have been shocked had it happened. Finally, I understood the big hoopla behind it all. Basically the media forced it down our throats till I believed it wasn't supposed to be possible...lol.

yermom
4/6/2010, 05:03 PM
well, they weren't really before that win. they beat up on the WAC and strung a lot of wins but didn't beat anyone of consequence

that Fiesta Bowl was an amazing game. if you weren't a Sooner.

cvsooner
4/6/2010, 05:45 PM
No, the first half was boring, the third quarter was decent and the final quarter was amazing. And overtime only added to it.

Jacie
4/6/2010, 07:02 PM
Very much like our sooners that same year. The tools were there, but on the field it just didn't show up. If you look at their regular season they were not a top team if you ask me. I don't know a single person who picked them to be in the finals on their bracket.... I'm sure someone on here will step in and say "I did"...lol. That being said... if you compare their regular season to their tourney run.... they overachieved this tourney. They should have been out a few times this tourney. Maybe lucky is a better term than overachieving.

But we're talking about our football team here.... not the basketball game! :P

Actually, Tigeman, I filled out three brackets and put Duke in the final on two of them. They are usually a good bet during the tournament, despite not winning it all since 2001.

My Kansas pick didn't turn out so well . . .

Tigeman
4/6/2010, 07:12 PM
I'm sure someone on here will step in and say "I did"...lol.

Actually, Tigeman, I filled out three brackets and put Duke in the final on two of them. They are usually a good bet during the tournament, despite not winning it all since 2001.

And there it is! :D :P ;)

OK2LA
4/6/2010, 11:19 PM

This guy is NOT gay

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/2073/kylesingler.jpg

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22727&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1211259&Q_SEASON=2009

Scott D
4/7/2010, 05:39 PM
unless he's related to you, he's the gayest preppie I've ever seen a picture of ;)

Tigeman
4/7/2010, 06:00 PM
He's a Ginger.... he has no soul!!!

King Barry's Back
4/8/2010, 04:07 AM
Heartwarming stories wouldn't be near so bad if the media didn't just wear us out with them. Even with Butler losing I've already heard enough Hoosiers comparisons to last me a good while.

I remember about ten years ago hearing that the networks were going to go balls out to get more women to watch sports. Their analysis was that most men already watch a lot of sports, so to expand their markets -- they had to go after women.

The result is all the tear-jerker, manufactured dramas presented all the time. I guess they think the intrisic drama of sports is not enough to entice the ladies, so they are serving them up a nice helping of soap operas, as well. (Sexist, much?)

When we got that every four years for the Olympics, it was OK.

When we got it each weekend, it got a little old.

Now that sports is 24/7, it's just no longer standable.