PDA

View Full Version : Big 10 to go to 16 Teams and 'horns to the SEC?

Sabanball
4/5/2010, 11:48 AM
Tony Barnhart thinks it's very possible. Pretty interesting read....

http://blogs.ajc.com/barnhart-college-football/2010/04/05/what-happens-if-the-big-ten-goes-to-16-teams/

budbarrybob
4/5/2010, 11:55 AM
ND to the Mountain West. Would be "interesting". Now if I could only get my blog up and running... :rolleyes:

PDXsooner
4/5/2010, 12:43 PM
Why not just form one giant mega-conference where not everyone plays each other, the geographical boundaries make no sense, and regional pride and history is eliminated? Then it would totally suck and ruin the sport and their mission would be accomplished.

SoonerLB
4/5/2010, 01:12 PM
Why not just form one giant mega-conference where not everyone plays each other, the geographical boundaries make no sense, and regional pride and history is eliminated? Then it would totally suck and ruin the sport and their mission would be accomplished.

Notre Dame will never go for this one. ;)

yankee
4/5/2010, 01:42 PM
i think i started ignoring these conference changes rumors after about the third one i heard in a week's time. i'll believe it when i hear it from the school itself, not "mr. college football."

jumperstop
4/5/2010, 01:55 PM
i think i started ignoring these conference changes rumors after about the third one i heard in a week's time. i'll believe it when i hear it from the school itself, not "mr. college football."

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. After I heard Texas to the Big 10 a couple months back I knew that all this was just BS. Until I see an official like announcement from the schools or the conferences I will believe nothing.

sjt
4/5/2010, 04:27 PM
They'll probably call themselves the Big 17.

badger
4/5/2010, 05:37 PM
The writer is right though - Texas A&M is full of whiners that will want whatever Texas gets (especially success on the football field hahahahaNO)

If the Catholic schools are left outta a Big East defection to the Big Ten, I could see Notre Dame joining the leftovers as a Catholic conference of sorts.

This scenario suggested seems to suggest that except for Texas (and therefore A&M by default) would be untouched. If that were the case, the Big 12 could make moves for some of the mid majors that have been crashing the BCS party (or at least trying to) recently.

Scott D
4/5/2010, 05:57 PM
Tony Barnhardt needs to stick to fellating the SEC...it's what he knows.

silverwheels
4/5/2010, 06:01 PM
Barnhart barely knows anything.

Scott D
4/5/2010, 06:05 PM
he knows how to fellate the SEC though.

Sabanball
4/5/2010, 06:08 PM
Whether what he says comes to pass or not, the driving force will be money--which is why I could see it happening eventually. As he noted, the SEC has gobs of money with its CBS tv contract, BUT the 'horns would be one program that would still make a financial impact.

One other scenario I thought of is the entire Big 12 being divided up piece meal between the PAC and Big 10 confs. You guys, Colorado, the 'horns, and AM going to the PAC 10, and Nebraska/Iowa St/Mizzou going to the Big 10; only thing is with that is Okie St, TT, and the Kansas schools get left out in the cold--but who cares, none of them are big draws anyway, right?;)

Scott D
4/5/2010, 06:12 PM
Logistically it'd make more sense for OU, aTm, Austin and Taco Tech to join the SEC than the Pac-10.

Sabanball
4/5/2010, 06:52 PM
Logistically it'd make more sense for OU, aTm, Austin and Taco Tech to join the SEC than the Pac-10.

I agree. I was just throwing out some other scenarios. Anyway you look at it, I think some change and realignment are on the way. Anybody that thinks the current conferences and their makeups are just going to stay the same is very naive. Just like water flows to the lowest point, money drives college football more than ever now and with exploding coaching salaries, facility upgrades/needs, and university budget shortfalls, new and increased revenue streams are needed. We are headed toward a super conference system, once it's determined that it will mean more money for the schools--and it will be.

prrriiide
4/5/2010, 09:38 PM
If you're going to raid the Big Least for football teams, then the Big10 would be imbeciles if they did this:

Just for fun, let’s say the Big Ten asks Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Connecticut and Rutgers to join.

When some of these:

West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida

have a better reason to be asked.

If I were the Big10, I would ask W.V., Cincy, Louisville, and Pitt. There are some traditional rivalries in that group, they are geographically connected, and as a group are better football programs than either of the aforementioned groups.

Doesn't matter, cuz it ain't happening.

And re: texass...they won't leave the BigXII because they won't be able to wear the big-boy pants in any other league like they do in the BigXII. If they tried to throw thier weight around the SEC like they do the BigXII, Bama, UT, UF, LSU, and the rest would tell them to take flying fock. Not many people here in SEC country particularly like texass.

silverwheels
4/5/2010, 11:02 PM
West Virginia, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Pitt would not add a significant number of television sets, which is a bigger factor in expansion than a team's on-the-field success. The trio of Syracuse, Rutgers, and UConn gives the Big Ten pretty much the entire NYC area, even though it's not much of a college market.

SoonerStud615
4/5/2010, 11:46 PM
Notre Dame loves their not-conference money way too much to ever go for this.

silverwheels
4/6/2010, 02:31 PM

Right now, maybe, but they may not always be making that much money as an independent, especially if some major realignment occurs without them. They may have to join a conference soon or they will fall behind in TV and bowl revenue.

Scott D
4/6/2010, 04:40 PM

Their AD has already admitted in the last two months that eventually the financial situation in college football is going to pretty much force ND to join a conference. Right now they're just taking those last few breaths as a free man before the shotgun wedding.

JLEW1818
4/6/2010, 06:21 PM
[In an Irish accent] I'll believe ya when me $hit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.

silverwheels
4/6/2010, 06:57 PM
I'll be surprised if Notre Dame is still an independent in 20 years. The landscape of college football will have changed so much by then. I'll also be surprised if we are still without a playoff in that same period, whether it's a well-implemented one or not.

Scott D
4/6/2010, 09:12 PM
[In an Irish accent] I'll believe ya when me $hit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.

If the Pac-10 and Big-10 expand to 12 teams each, ND will have no choice but to join a conference.

The most amusing part of that right now is that if they quit rebuffing the Big 10 right now, instead of the $9 Mil a year they get from NBC, they'd have the opportunity at $20 Mil a year as part of the Big-10's tv contracts.

As it is, Swarbrick has already mentioned that the Big-10 and SEC have pretty much reduced ND's tv contract to chump change and majorly impacted ND in that regard.

SoonerInKCMO
4/6/2010, 09:20 PM
If the Pac-10 and Big-10 expand to 12 teams each, ND will have no choice but to join a conference.

The most amusing part of that right now is that if they quit rebuffing the Big 10 right now, instead of the $9 Mil a year they get from NBC, they'd have the opportunity at $20 Mil a year as part of the Big-10's tv contracts.

As it is, Swarbrick has already mentioned that the Big-10 and SEC have pretty much reduced ND's tv contract to chump change and majorly impacted ND in that regard.

That, and ND sucking for many of the last 20 years.

sooneron
4/6/2010, 09:34 PM
West Virginia, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Pitt would not add a significant number of television sets, which is a bigger factor in expansion than a team's on-the-field success. The trio of Syracuse, Rutgers, and UConn gives the Big Ten pretty much the entire NYC area, even though it's not much of a college market.

It's bigger than you think.

1) NYC - ****load of college grads
2) pretty much every sports bar in the town is jam packed on Saturdays just as much as it is on Sundays for nfl.
3) the only issue it has is ****ty coverage of college football.

Scott D
4/6/2010, 09:48 PM
That, and ND sucking for many of the last 20 years.

Well I believe ND renegotiated their deal with NBC within the past few years. The problem for them, it was before the Big-10 introduced The Big Ten Network, and before the SEC and ESPN partnered for The SEC Network.

silverwheels
4/6/2010, 10:07 PM
It's bigger than you think.

1) NYC - ****load of college grads
2) pretty much every sports bar in the town is jam packed on Saturdays just as much as it is on Sundays for nfl.
3) the only issue it has is ****ty coverage of college football.

So they would be even more justified to take Syracuse, Rutgers, and UConn if they did want to go to 16.

Sabanball
4/20/2010, 05:20 PM
Looks like this may come to fruition quicker than many of us thought. I think this will truly be the beginning of a major, tectonic shift in college football. After this salvo is fired by the Big 10, I see the SEC moving next, by either expanding eastward and trying to get FSU and Miami, or invading the rich Texas TV market and getting the horns, AM, and maybe even you guys.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/04/big-ten-expansion-on-fast-track-with-more-at-least-three-teams-likely-to-join/1

Harry Beanbag
4/20/2010, 11:57 PM
If any of this happens, the big loser is the Big 12. It will implode.

prrriiide
4/21/2010, 12:28 AM
Looks like this may come to fruition quicker than many of us thought. I think this will truly be the beginning of a major, tectonic shift in college football. After this salvo is fired by the Big 10, I see the SEC moving next, by either expanding eastward and trying to get FSU and Miami, or invading the rich Texas TV market and getting the horns, AM, and maybe even you guys.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/04/big-ten-expansion-on-fast-track-with-more-at-least-three-teams-likely-to-join/1

The SEC would have to give up the house to get OU out of the BigXII (or whatever it became). Too many natural rivalries of long-standing. I would expect the whorns to spread their legs for whichever sailor came along with the biggest wad of cash. Of course, that sailor will wind up with an appalling case of the galloping clap if they pay up. A&M will go wherever they are given an invitiation. They're like the fat kid that can block. He usually isn't the first choice on the sandlot, but whoever winds up with him usually doesn't complain too much.

silverwheels
4/21/2010, 12:38 AM
The SEC would have to give up the house to get OU out of the BigXII (or whatever it became). Too many natural rivalries of long-standing. I would expect the whorns to spread their legs for whichever sailor came along with the biggest wad of cash. Of course, that sailor will wind up with an appalling case of the galloping clap if they pay up. A&M will go wherever they are given an invitiation. They're like the fat kid that can block. He usually isn't the first choice on the sandlot, but whoever winds up with him usually doesn't complain too much.

The SEC wouldn't have to give up much to get us out of what's left of the Big 12 if Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, and Texas left. At least I hope not. I also hope that we're not the last ones to act if/when it all goes down.

SoonerJack
4/21/2010, 08:02 AM

Jlew I believe you mean <In an Irish accent>I'll believe ya when me $hit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.</In an Irish accent> :D

sooner n houston
4/21/2010, 08:43 AM
If the BIG XII is to be split up then I would like to see the SEC take OU, UT, NU and Kansas (yes, for Basketball!). What a confrence that would be! We would play all the above and LSU and Arkie each year! WOW!!! Plus occassional trips to Florida and Alabama!

Sabanball
4/21/2010, 11:05 AM
I dont see us taking KU or NU under any circumstances.

But, I do agree, the SEC will have to enlarge it's geographic footprint. Here's another possible scenario that I see happening:

Add the horns, TAMU to the west, Clemson and Virginia Tech to the east. Pretty balanced additions, adds more of the DC tv market(with Tech), ALL of the Texas market, AND locks down every talent base in the nation but Cali.
Game over, Big 10.

jumperstop
4/21/2010, 11:07 AM

As much as I would like to believe that Texas would leave the conference, this is all media a spectacle. If the Big 10 takes anyone from the Big 12 it would be someone close like Mizzou or ISU. And of those teams only one would be good enough to want. Missouri could make an impact in a conference like the Big 10 I think, so it might be very enticing for them to leave the Big 12. The only thing I can see that might effect the Big 12 is if there is a multiple team move through multiple conferences. But why would that happen? I'm pretty sure the Big 12 and SEC are content being the perinial power conferences each year anyways, getting first chance at the MNC.

BudSooner
4/21/2010, 11:29 AM
I dont see us taking KU or NU under any circumstances.

But, I do agree, the SEC will have to enlarge it's geographic footprint. Here's another possible scenario that I see happening:

Add the horns, TAMU to the west, Clemson and Virginia Tech to the east. Pretty balanced additions, adds more of the DC tv market(with Tech), ALL of the Texas market, AND locks down every talent base in the nation but Cali.
Game over, Big 10.
Do you really see the ACC rolling over and letting VaTech go to the SEC? I can't, since FSU/Miami aren't back to where they should be VT is the only stable competitive team in that conference, take A&M and enjoy those nut grabbing homos. :D

Sabanball
4/21/2010, 11:36 AM
Do you really see the ACC rolling over and letting VaTech go to the SEC? I can't, since FSU/Miami aren't back to where they should be VT is the only stable competitive team in that conference, take A&M and enjoy those nut grabbing homos. :D

Ultimately, it won't be up to the ACC but Clemson and VT. The ACC is currently in negotiations for its new television deals and the proposed numbers being put out by the TV boys are not great, from what I'm reading. To be perfectly frank, the ACC as a football conference is very vulnerable right now. This might be an opportunity to leave a sinking ship.

badger
4/21/2010, 12:03 PM
btw, sabie - BudSooner wasn't joking. A&M fans really do grab their nuts. If they join your crazy conferenece, they will become the weird stepchild that everyone makes fun of and nobody respects :D

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/aggies-squeeze-small.jpg

(they lost that game, btw - their squeezing didn't pay off, hahahahahhahaha)

PS: XOXOXO to any A&M fans reading. You know we love you!

BudSooner
4/21/2010, 12:24 PM
btw, sabie - BudSooner wasn't joking. A&M fans really do grab their nuts. If they join your crazy conferenece, they will become the weird stepchild that everyone makes fun of and nobody respects :D

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/aggies-squeeze-small.jpg

(they lost that game, btw - their squeezing didn't pay off, hahahahahhahaha)

PS: XOXOXO to any A&M fans reading. You know we love you!

They would soooooo fit in playing Auburn.

Sabanball
4/21/2010, 12:43 PM
I agree, they're a weird bunch. Very cult-like, too.

JohnnyMack
4/21/2010, 12:57 PM
I contend that college football sucks hind tit in the NY market.

I could see the Big Ten adding Pitt, WVU and one other Big East team (Syracuse?) and going to 14 teams. If they landed ND, Pitt and WVU that'd be impressive as hell.

If Mizzou bolts I'd hope we'd investigate adding Utah.

Scott D
4/21/2010, 01:13 PM
lol wvu..try Rutgers sonny.

JohnnyMack
4/21/2010, 01:30 PM
From a dollars perspective Rutgers makes more sense, but WVU has a better program.

TMcGee86
4/21/2010, 01:50 PM
I really dont think any of this, minus the Big10 adding one team, is going to happen, but...

All it would take is one conference to start making waves about going to 16, even if it is a pipe dream, it may start a chain reaction that would crumple all of the conferences as we know it and usher in the era of super conferences.

And the Big12 is one of the main reasons. If the SEC starts talking about taking Texas, and the Big10 decides to follow suit to get to 16, there is no way OU is going to sit around and wait while UT, A&M, Missou, NU and CU bolt, and be left holding a bag of TV crap in the form of the shattered remains of the Big12. I don't care how many badass mid-major programs you add, a conf with a core of OU, OSU, Tech, Kansas, and K-State does not garner TV dollars.

So if the whispers start, you could easily see teams from all over look to start a super conference of their own, and/or preemptively jump ship, which will be the point of no return for the modern day conferences.

This could snowball quickly. All it takes is one team.

Sabanball
4/21/2010, 02:07 PM
I really dont think any of this, minus the Big10 adding one team, is going to happen, but...

All it would take is one conference to start making waves about going to 16, even if it is a pipe dream, it may start a chain reaction that would crumple all of the conferences as we know it and usher in the era of super conferences.

And the Big12 is one of the main reasons. If the SEC starts talking about taking Texas, and the Big10 decides to follow suit to get to 16, there is no way OU is going to sit around and wait while UT, A&M, Missou, NU and CU bolt, and be left holding a bag of TV crap in the form of the shattered remains of the Big12. I don't care how many badass mid-major programs you add, a conf with a core of OU, OSU, Tech, Kansas, and K-State does not garner TV dollars.
So if the whispers start, you could easily see teams from all over look to start a super conference of their own, and/or preemptively jump ship, which will be the point of no return for the modern day conferences.

I agree completely. All this will happen quickly once the first domino falls. We are headed toward super conferences whether we agree with it or not.

Harry Beanbag
4/21/2010, 02:09 PM

Yep. OU needs to be proactive and look to the Pac-10 or the SEC before they fill up their slots. UT and aTm are a package deal, so that's two spots filling up wherever they would go. I would prefer the Pac-10, but I think ultimately that would hurt recruiting. The SEC would help it.

BudSooner
4/21/2010, 02:42 PM
Yep. OU needs to be proactive and look to the Pac-10 or the SEC before they fill up their slots. UT and aTm are a package deal, so that's two spots filling up wherever they would go. I would prefer the Pac-10, but I think ultimately that would hurt recruiting. The SEC would help it.
What? OU to the SEC or Pac10?:confused::eek:

The idea of going to Florida/LSU makes me want to puke, BUT then again..punking the bastards on national tv really sounds ****ing great..if this were to happen.

Think of the stories that could happen from something like this....

Revenge on LSU for the Sugar Bowl, ditto to Florida for the TebowBowl,Auburn i'm sure would love to show how great they are(heh, right)and the occasional foray into Knoxville/Fayettville would be kinda fun.
Forgot about Georgia, that would be a game to go to..tailback U vs THE tailback U.:D

KantoSooner
4/21/2010, 02:56 PM
I think we need to stay associated with Texas (the state). That's where the population growth of the next 30 years is coming from. The Northeast, Chicagoland, California and Florida are going to be shambling bums economically for a generation.
Texas will be where the jobs are....and thus the population and thus recruiting.

badger
4/21/2010, 02:57 PM
Someone mentioned it before - Texas has a lot of power in the Big 12 and probably wouldn't be quite willing to part with it just yet. Big fish in small pond isn't just Nebraska in the North :rolleyes:

Really, OU can go to whatever conference it wants with its strong programs (aside from this little hiccup in mens basketball - groan, sigh, argh, barf), so I don't care what happens. We'll still get whatever matchups we want (aside from UT-Chattanooga, apparently), we'll make a ton of money doing it and end it all with a bowl at the end of the season!

soonerfromgeorgia
4/21/2010, 03:00 PM
I think the Big Ten should go after Iowa State since they already have a school from that state and then the Big 12 could bring in TCU.

BaronVonAggie
4/21/2010, 03:33 PM
Our Athletic Director just stood up before the Spring Game and said outright 'There is absolutely no truth to the rumors that A&M is changing conferences, we expect to be in the big 12 for the foreseeable future.'

I mean other than a few internet speculators there really has been nothing in the media about A&M moving conferences. So for him to stand up in front of the entire institution and say theres nothing to the rumors to me says there is something to the rumors.

Sabanball
4/21/2010, 03:37 PM

I think you're right. I don't think your program will just sit around and watch the horns, TAMU, and Mizzou bolt before making a decision. My guess is that's already being discussed. One reason I think the SEC would be a better fit for OU is because it would enable you to maintain continuity with both of your two main rivalry games--UT and Okie St. By going to the SEC you would be following UT and that would remain a conference game, and of course you would have room in your non conference sched to always accomodate at least one non conference opponent, which I would think would remain OSU. Going to the PAC 10, I think, would jeopardize at least one of these series remaining for scheduling reasons.

SoonerAtKU
4/21/2010, 03:56 PM
and of course you would have room in your non conference sched to always accomodate at least one non conference opponent, which I would think would remain OSU.

Meh, I'd rather have Nebraska. i think most of us here would agree. Plus, it would be fun to hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from Stillwater if we cancelled the series. "They're just scared."

It's not even competitive and never has been. We're normally the only game that sells out their stadium, and it doesn't exactly help us in recruiting or exposure. I'd even argue that the only time it's been beneficial to play them was in '08 when we got to put up 60 to help our BCS chances.

NormanPride
4/21/2010, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I'd much rather have Nebraska. My only fear is that if we try to bail to the SEC that the state will make us and OSU a package deal, which would never happen.

MeMyself&Me
4/21/2010, 04:16 PM
Meh, I'd rather have Nebraska. i think most of us here would agree. Plus, it would be fun to hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from Stillwater if we cancelled the series. "They're just scared."

It's not even competitive and never has been. We're normally the only game that sells out their stadium, and it doesn't exactly help us in recruiting or exposure. I'd even argue that the only time it's been beneficial to play them was in '08 when we got to put up 60 to help our BCS chances.

Yup. The ONLY thing about this conference realignment talk I like is that a shakeup might mean that the annual OU-Nebbish game returns and returns to Thanksgiving day weekend no less. Man I miss that. Anyway, even in a shakeup, that's probably still a longshot.

KantoSooner
4/21/2010, 04:24 PM
I'd also like to get a quasi regular game with Arkie. it's always seemed weird to me that the closest (geographically) team outside the state is one we never seem to play.

silverwheels
4/21/2010, 04:28 PM
I'd also like to get a quasi regular game with Arkie. it's always seemed weird to me that the closest (geographically) team outside the state is one we never seem to play.

Meh. We already play two teams with massive inferiority complexes (OSU and A&M) every year. Don't need to add a third, in my opinion.

MI Sooner
4/21/2010, 04:56 PM
I think that, even controlling for

1) Innovations like the Big 10 Network, which can be copied, and
2) The timing of contract negotiatoins

the Big 10 has a lot more TV revenue.

I think the biggest reason for this is that they dominate coverage in much, much larger population bases than the Big XII. Look at the Big 10, and they cover 8 states with 11 teams. That means they're only competing with themselves in 3 states, and only face any real outside competition in PA and IA, where they still dominate the market. The Big XII has 12 teams in 7 states (with much smaller overall population), which means they're competing against each other.

For the Big XII to grow it $$$, it would have to kick out TTU, Baylor, Okie St., and KSU, and try to get UNM, BYU, Ark, and LSU, or something like that.

Small private schools w/ no national following/tradition are worthless. Second-fiddle schools, unless they have huge alum bases and are actually competitive in big states, are worthless. How is the Big XII supposed to compete with the Big 10 for $$$ when a state like Kansas is supposed to support two schools when states like MN and WI have one?

badger
4/21/2010, 05:18 PM
We have to admit it. We begrudgingly look out for our little sister. Always have. We work together on getting funding, we work together on research projects, we wouldn't abandon OSU, because d@mmit, she's our little sister.

We'll tease her and know that we're always superior in everything (except wrestling and declaring eminent domain), but she's still family.

It just won't happen, guys. OSU will die without us. Their biggest games of the year are the ones against us. It's how they sell season tickets, it's how they get their fans energized.

We just can't leave little pokette.

Scott D
4/21/2010, 06:02 PM
From a dollars perspective Rutgers makes more sense, but WVU has a better program.

pretty sure that dollars and academics will play larger roles than you are giving credit for. Besides, there's bad blood between one of the more powerful members of the Big-10 and WVU for a couple of coach poaching incidents.

BudSooner
4/21/2010, 06:13 PM
I think that, even controlling for

1) Innovations like the Big 10 Network, which can be copied, and
2) The timing of contract negotiatoins

the Big 10 has a lot more TV revenue.

I think the biggest reason for this is that they dominate coverage in much, much larger population bases than the Big XII. Look at the Big 10, and they cover 8 states with 11 teams. That means they're only competing with themselves in 3 states, and only face any real outside competition in PA and IA, where they still dominate the market. The Big XII has 12 teams in 7 states (with much smaller overall population), which means they're competing against each other.

For the Big XII to grow it $$$, it would have to kick out TTU, Baylor, Okie St., and KSU, and try to get UNM, BYU, Ark, and LSU, or something like that.

Small private schools w/ no national following/tradition are worthless. Second-fiddle schools, unless they have huge alum bases and are actually competitive in big states, are worthless. How is the Big XII supposed to compete with the Big 10 for $$$ when a state like Kansas is supposed to support two schools when states like MN and WI have one?
You don't want to do that for fear of unleashing Sic'em's rath upon ya?

TMcGee86
4/26/2010, 06:48 PM
Don't look now, but the snowball is rolling...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/04/26/sec-expansion.ap/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) -- Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive says the league isn't considering adding teams but is working on a plan to keep up with other conferences if they expand just in case.

The commissioner said Monday that the 12-member SEC hasn't talked to any institutions about joining and has no plans to do so. The expansion exploration is just an internal look at the potential advantages and disadvantages in case there is a "significant shift in the conference paradigm," he said.

Slive didn't elaborate on how much expansion would fit that billing.

"But I'll know," he said.

League expansion has been a hot topic since the Big Ten announced in December that it was considering expanding.

SEC teams have won the past four national titles in football and have lucrative TV deals with CBS and ESPN.

"That doesn't cry for change," Slive said. Any changes would only be made if the league deems it necessary to maintain its prominent position, he said.

"We've always been known to be a creative league, be on the cutting edge," Slive said. "We're not going to allow ourselves in any way, shape or form, to be anything less than what we are now."

He declined to talk about what factors the SEC might look for in potential new members.

"The important thing is we're paying attention, we're going to be strategic, we're going to be thoughtful, but we're not going to relinquish our role as one of the premier conferences," he said.

Slive spoke to editors and writers from the Southeast Region of the Associated Press Sports Editors across the street from his office in downtown Birmingham.

Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/04/26/sec-expansion.ap/index.html?eref=twitter_feed#ixzz0mFnIrcuQ
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Crucifax Autumn
4/27/2010, 03:26 AM
So if we were to join the SEC would our players double their speed?

prrriiide
4/27/2010, 02:32 PM
If the Big 10 snaps up Pitt, Rutty, and 'Cuse in their expansion (86-ing the BE) in addition to purloining Misery and the Bug Eaters out of the Big 12, the smart move for the SEC would be to take OU and texass as a package. It adds the #5, 10, and 45 markets to the SEC's current TV share. I could also see them taking Aggie and trying to poach W Va out of the Big Least.

You would see the near-simultaneous death of 2 BCS confrences.

Any way this shakes out, I don't see it being good for the Big XII and their laugher of a TV contract.

Harry Beanbag
4/27/2010, 02:37 PM
I can't even imagine a conference with Oklahoma, Texas, LSU, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. Not to mention Auburn, aTm, and Arkansas. That is pure insanity. The only way something like that would work is if the two divisions did not play each other during the regular season, just the championship game.

Scott D
4/27/2010, 03:15 PM
with 16 teams there's really not a way that you could have cross division games, unless you're cutting all of the cupcakes out of the schedule.

On a bright note, it means OU could get fat off of scheduling the Louisiana directional schools, and Division 3 schools from Georgia and Alabama without being criticized for it. ;)

49r
5/10/2010, 01:57 PM
WHB in KC is reporting initial offers have been extended by the Big Ten:

http://810whb.com/article/3527

TMcGee86
5/10/2010, 03:57 PM
Man this is huge. If Nebbish bolts the shish is gonna hit the fan.

Bring on the Western Alliance.

JohnnyMack
5/10/2010, 04:19 PM
WHB in KC is reporting initial offers have been extended by the Big Ten:

http://810whb.com/article/3527

Missouri leaving would be bad. I hope they go after Utah if Mizzou leaves.

Sabanball
5/10/2010, 05:10 PM
All this is likewise being reported on talk radio here in Bham, home of the SEC office, as is that NU is officially sending out the perfunctory 'denial' from AD Tom Osborne that there's nothing to all the reports. The story out of KC would appear to have legs to me. I think it all boils down to dollars and revenue sharing--and hopefully Notre Dame finally realizing we are in the 21st century and the world does not revolve around them anymore--and I don't see how these teams turn down these offers, I don't care what Nebraska is saying publicly right now.

The Big XII is going away and I really believe we are headed toward the formation of four, 16-team superconferences.

JohnnyMack
5/10/2010, 05:14 PM
All this is likewise being reported on Bham talk radio, as is that NU is officially sending out the perfunctory 'denial' from AD Tom Osborne that there's nothing to all the reports. The story out of KC would appear to have legs to me. I think it all boils down to dollars and revenue sharing--and hopefully Notre Dame finally realizing we are in the 21st century and the world does not revolve around them anymore--and I don't see how these teams turn down these offers, I don't care what Nebraska is saying publicly right now.

The Big XII is going away and I really believe we are headed toward the formation of four, 16-team superconferences.

If Nebraska leaves we r fooked as a conference. I would hate to lose the Missouri market but I think a school like Utah would replace it nicely.

ndpruitt03
5/10/2010, 05:41 PM
I guess this year could be the last year of the Big 12/old Big 8 being together.

Scott D
5/11/2010, 08:40 PM
Actually provided that these reports become reality, 2011 would be the last year of that.