PDA

View Full Version : Your Least Favorite Play

Oldnslo
4/5/2010, 10:00 AM
Nononono. I'm not talking about history. This isn't about your least favorite play that caused us some defeat. This isn't a thread about a certain special teams play in the first half of the GOWWDNS.

I mean your least favorite play that we run. Or ran.

Mine is the quick toss to the wideout. You know, the pass that goes 20 yards in the air, for either a 2 yard gain OR an interception returned for a touchie by the other team. THAT play. It's always, "Oh, if he had only gotten ONE MORE BLOCK, then something good would have happened for us!"

No. No, it wouldn't. That was just one more time that we avoided disaster. Every time we run this play, it looks like we're just moments from a game-changing turnover. Hate the play. HATE IT. Good thing we only run it a half dozen times a half, without fail.

urgh.

rawlingsHOH
4/5/2010, 10:02 AM
It's a great play, if you have a good trigger man. Anyone who watched the Vikings this year saw Favre abuse people with it. A zone run play called in the huddle, the corner is giving too big of a cushion. Only 2 players on the offense know what is going to happen. Easy 5 yards, and 15 with one missed tackle.

Leroy Lizard
4/5/2010, 10:13 AM
It really comes down to execution.

Oldnslo
4/5/2010, 10:15 AM
So, our execution sucks. The play still doesn't work.

you guys don't have a play you don't like?

NormanPride
4/5/2010, 10:20 AM
Hmm... I didn't like that play we called where both guards pulled and they ran into each other. That seems like a poorly-designed play.

But really, I don't know of any particular play I don't like. We've run plays that we don't have the right personnel for, or have trouble executing because our line is young... I know! I hate that play where we blitz seven guys and they all manage to find a blocker... when there's only six blocking.

SoonerLB
4/5/2010, 10:20 AM
The one that results in a five yard loss because the play didn't get called in time! Followed closely by offensive linemen jumping the count.

soonerinabilene
4/5/2010, 10:32 AM
the handoff up the middle when there are 8 guys in the box. if i can see it on my tv, surely wilson can see it from the press box. never have understood why they dont ever change it to a pith sweep or a pass from under center.

Leroy Lizard
4/5/2010, 10:34 AM

Tell me if the play works first, then I'll tell you if I like it.

In all seriousness, the plays are in the playbook because they work when properly executed. Sometimes our players just make them look bad.

Jello Biafra
4/5/2010, 10:38 AM
In all seriousness, the plays are in the playbook because they work when properly executed. Sometimes our players just make them look bad.

ok so whats the excuse for the tackle/guard doing the trap block into the 4 hole on what looked like a 22/24 blast?

we got blown up several times during the season and the WV defense abused us in the bowl game but, we kept running it...i dont think it was OUR players making them look bad, i think it was a hand full of defenses that make that play look bad. and yet, we ran it 10 times a game.

salth2o
4/5/2010, 10:50 AM
anything Wildcat formation related.

BoulderSooner79
4/5/2010, 10:51 AM
Tell me if the play works first, then I'll tell you if I like it.

..if properly executed *and* the defense is vulnerable to it. There is no play guaranteed to work even if executed perfectly - the defensive play that is called may counter it. There is a little bit of dice rolled on every play and that's what makes it fun.

KantoSooner
4/5/2010, 10:51 AM
How about the one where we need a yard or two for a first down or score and then run Murray up the middle, instead of letting him jet around either end and fall a body length forward to acheive the goal?
I really hated that one, too.

badger
4/5/2010, 10:56 AM
Refs say Oregon recovered the ball when Allen Patrick is holding the ball over his head.

Refs say Tech got a first down when they were clearly a yard short on replays.

Refs say Tech got a touchdown that spawned "he's in, are you?" billboards.

In short, anything involving the refs screwing us :mad:

Fraggle145
4/5/2010, 11:00 AM
DELAY DRAW.

OKLA21FAN
4/5/2010, 11:02 AM
least favorite play?

one that doesn't work. :gary:

IBleedCrimson
4/5/2010, 11:12 AM
Any play from pistol formation

budbarrybob
4/5/2010, 12:06 PM
The up the middle play that hadn't worked the previous 5 times.

NOVSooner
4/5/2010, 12:15 PM
mine isn't so much one play, but running the same play, say 4 times, from the 2 yard line, say in a national championship game....that was my least favorite. had it worked on any of the 4 consecutive tries, than maybe i would like it a little more.

Leroy Lizard
4/5/2010, 12:21 PM
Was it really the same play four times in a row? I thought one play was a run to the right, then a run into left, then a run up the middle. Wasn't the final play a pass?

It's all a bit fuzzy.

BTW, saw this video of Brandon Spikes punching Trent Williams during the championship game. Hadn't seen that before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhhXm0qxxaA

sooner59
4/5/2010, 12:25 PM
DELAY DRAW.

WINNER!

SoonerDood
4/5/2010, 12:42 PM
I hate that play where we blitz seven guys and they all manage to find a blocker... when there's only six blocking.

Especially when we call it on 3rd and 15! The average pass play gains about 7 yards (yards per attempt, not completion) so let's blitz and go into man coverage! Blitzes are only successful when you get there!

stoops the eternal pimp
4/5/2010, 12:42 PM
I was gonna say Delay Draw to any player not named Quentin Griffin

SoCal
4/5/2010, 02:01 PM
The forward pass!
I'm a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" kind of guy.

ndpruitt03
4/5/2010, 02:41 PM
When Adrian was here I hated it when we had him as the only back about 10 yards back, with no fullbacks/blockers in front of him or anyone really covering a blitzer on the edge. He had more guys come off the edge and hit him for a short loss than any other OU player I can remember. If he wasn't so good he would have lost 5 yards a play every time with it. I understand the logic of how that play is supposed to work and sometimes he was so good it would work. But he probably had more no gains or losses because of that play then he should have had.

IronHorseSooner
4/5/2010, 02:43 PM
DELAY DRAW.

Yep, I call it the Smoke Draw into the Guard's rear-end. I'm not smart enough to know why we keep running it. It didn't work when we had a good line or a bad line.

cheezyq
4/5/2010, 02:48 PM
Shotgun draw. Worked great with Q in the backfield hiding behind 5 behemoths up front, but is ultimately the least aggressive and least effective running play ever designed. We've been running it since the Mangino era and telegraphing it for good teams to stuff in the backfield ever since the Jason White era.

Edit: Hell, I didn't even read the thread for my answer. I just saw the subject and start banging on the keyboard. But it looks like I'm not the only one who hates this play, or noticed that it ONLY worked with Q.

C&CDean
4/5/2010, 03:47 PM
The "Ninjee."

ndpruitt03
4/5/2010, 03:50 PM
The delay draw only works with little backs that seemingly disappear like Q and sometimes Chris Brown. I don't think we'll see that play that much this year unless it's one of our young backs.

KiiDSooNER
4/5/2010, 03:50 PM
Not a play, but the formation "Pistol" is not good at all.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/5/2010, 04:02 PM
The Pistol is a very flexible set. Don't hate on it because we didn't execute from it.

Think about it for a sec. We grinch because we run too much Shotgun and it doesn't allow the backs to run downhill. We grinch because we run to much I because we don't spread the formation enough and "telegraph" the down.

Enter the Pistol which allows you to do both. Throw from Shotgun, spread the field, and let a back hit holes downhill. It's pretty slick when the plays from the formation are executed properly, but like any formation from the Wishbone to the Wing T, if you don't have execution, the formation is going to look like a dirty butthole.

In other words, hate on what needs hating on.

cheezyq
4/5/2010, 04:08 PM
The delay draw only works with little backs that seemingly disappear like Q and sometimes Chris Brown. I don't think we'll see that play that much this year unless it's one of our young backs.

Sorry, I wish I could believe that, but it's been a staple of our playbook since Mangino, through Long, and now Wilson. It's been that way with small backs like Q and big backs like Peterson. Something tells me this is a Stoops signature and it will stay as long as he does.

rawlingsHOH
4/5/2010, 04:09 PM
Yep, I call it the Smoke Draw into the Guard's rear-end. I'm not smart enough to know why we keep running it. It didn't work when we had a good line or a bad line.

It worked behind a semi-young 2002 OL.

SoonerMom2
4/5/2010, 05:14 PM
Nononono. I'm not talking about history. This isn't about your least favorite play that caused us some defeat. This isn't a thread about a certain special teams play in the first half of the GOWWDNS.

Mine is the quick toss to the wideout. You know, the pass that goes 20 yards in the air, for either a 2 yard gain OR an interception returned for a touchie by the other team. THAT play. It's always, "Oh, if he had only gotten ONE MORE BLOCK, then something good would have happened for us!"

No. No, it wouldn't. That was just one more time that we avoided disaster. Every time we run this play, it looks like we're just moments from a game-changing turnover. Hate the play. HATE IT. Good thing we only run it a half dozen times a half, without fail.

urgh.

You just named my least favorite play as well. See too many times where a defensive player jumps the route especially when you have a quarterback that telegraphs or one that cannot move very well or has happy feet. I cringe every time I see it and I am with you -- HATE IT!

agoo758
4/5/2010, 08:22 PM
I would have to go with the delayed handoff from the shotgun. That seemed to be the only running play we ever called in 2009 and it NEVER worked.

BudSooner
4/5/2010, 08:52 PM
the handoff up the middle when there are 8 guys in the box. if i can see it on my tv, surely wilson can see it from the press box. never have understood why they dont ever change it to a pith sweep or a pass from under center.
Shovel pass is just as bad, but this one does rank higher.

anything Wildcat formation related.
No ****, by the end of the week that was OVER PLAYED on highlight reels just about every conference had a team that pulled that POS plan....boring.
And if you cannot tell that play is going to happen, then get some ****ing glasses.

How about the one where we need a yard or two for a first down or score and then run Murray up the middle, instead of letting him jet around either end and fall a body length forward to acheive the goal?
I really hated that one, too.
AMEN!

The "Ninjee."
Oh well, it worked when we needed it to and I actually liked it. Kinda miss seeing that, shame it's not done anymore.

PLaw
4/5/2010, 08:53 PM

urgh.

Dude, if this play caused you this much agony, then my guess is that you would have really hated the 'bone with T Lott pulling the trigger.

BOOMER

PLaw
4/5/2010, 08:55 PM
I pretty much hate running out of the shotgun. Q made a good living from it, but I would much prefer to have the back going down hill when he gets the ball.

oudavid1
4/5/2010, 10:12 PM
I hate the Draw, and love screens.

Curly Bill
4/5/2010, 10:22 PM
Almost anything run out of the Pistol formation sucks. :D

olevetonahill
4/6/2010, 01:56 AM
The mother****ing PUNT
nuff said :D

GKeeper316
4/6/2010, 04:41 AM
Was it really the same play four times in a row? I thought one play was a run to the right, then a run into left, then a run up the middle. Wasn't the final play a pass?

It's all a bit fuzzy.

BTW, saw this video of Brandon Spikes punching Trent Williams during the championship game. Hadn't seen that before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhhXm0qxxaA

brandon spikes is a punk-*** bitch

and my least favorite play in the last couple years always sounds exactly the same on tv or radio. goes a little something like this...

"So, Oklahoma will send out it's kicking unit to attempt a field goal".

Crucifax Autumn
4/6/2010, 04:56 AM
The mother****ing PUNT

This.

MeMyself&Me
4/6/2010, 07:21 AM
"So, Oklahoma will send out it's kicking unit to attempt a field goal".

This. I'm to the point that I'd rather see them go for it on 4 and 15 than another wasted attempt at a field goal. Have no understanding as to why OU is so bad at field goals the last couple of years and I have no idea why Stoops seems to be oblivious to it.

gaylordfan1
4/6/2010, 08:08 AM
When Adrian was here I hated it when we had him as the only back about 10 yards back, with no fullbacks/blockers in front of him or anyone really covering a blitzer on the edge. He had more guys come off the edge and hit him for a short loss than any other OU player I can remember. If he wasn't so good he would have lost 5 yards a play every time with it. I understand the logic of how that play is supposed to work and sometimes he was so good it would work. But he probably had more no gains or losses because of that play then he should have had.

It's my understanding that AD was 10 yrds back because he hit the hole before it developed.... before the linemen had opened it up. The kid was too fast at getting to the line.

rawlingsHOH
4/6/2010, 09:38 AM
He was 8 deep. 7 is standard, but his takeoff was so quick they moved him back 1.

KantoSooner
4/6/2010, 10:39 AM
I'd seen that youtube clip LL posted showing Spikes giving Williams a little shiv to the head.
What I hadn't seen was Phil Loadholt drifting up behind Spikes. Too bad things couldn't have gone on a jest a leetle longer.
Sometimes justice would be served by letting nature run its course. In this case letting Phil Le Grosse sucker-hammer Spikes to the nape of the neck. Or maybe just give him a knee to the groin from the back.
Spikes is yet another Flow-duh player who I' m going to enjoy watching be initiated to the NFL.

EstablishedSooner1967
4/6/2010, 12:54 PM
The hurry up quick toss to the left side every time.. and never once did OU score, get a first down or move the ball. I will also agree running up the middle with 8 in the box. OU lack of execution was something last year. Thank goodness it was last year!

John Kochtoston
4/6/2010, 01:05 PM
Sweeps to the short side of the field. Yes, you have to call it a time or two to keep the defense honest, but why do we keep repeatedly bottling up our superior athletes in an area where there will be a lot of bodies in a small space, and where the sideline acts as a 12th defender?

SouthFortySooner
4/6/2010, 01:54 PM
DELAY DRAW.

...see Darren Sproles.

rawlingsHOH
4/6/2010, 02:59 PM
Sweeps to the short side of the field. Yes, you have to call it a time or two to keep the defense honest, but why do we keep repeatedly bottling up our superior athletes in an area where there will be a lot of bodies in a small space, and where the sideline acts as a 12th defender?

Many coaches now swear by running to the short side of the field. Because they can get the number game to their advantage.

Leroy Lizard
4/6/2010, 03:59 PM
Switzer, for one.

ratherthanlater
4/6/2010, 04:06 PM
Right up there with the punt should be our extra point defense. I hate that play more than anything.

Al Gore
4/6/2010, 07:32 PM
The mother****ing PUNT
Remember the K-State punt when they snapped it and there was no punter?!?!?!? Classic...

OU_Sooners75
4/6/2010, 07:39 PM
Shuffle Pass!!

I hate it!

Sure, once in a while, when it is ran to pure perfection, then it looks like a thing of beauty, but most of the time, it just does not make many yards, at least when KW calls upon it! Seems like every time he has ran it, it was during a blitz and it gets blown up!

Leroy Lizard
4/7/2010, 12:33 AM
Pardon my lack of football knowledge, but isn't the shuffle pass supposed to work against the blitz?

setem
4/7/2010, 12:50 AM
The draw does suck a big one! I like the pistol and I think it will be good for Landry and our running game because they get the ball quicker and can see the holes opening up instead of closing. If the o-line plays like they did last year we are going to need it. Also I could care less if any OU qb takes a snap under center because frankly I am a college fan and dont really care if it leads to NFL stardom. I know that is ****ty but and I will always be a fan of our guys but I am not going to bend over backwards to follow them once they are gone.

Least favorite play? I don't think I have one besides the draw...

Favorite play is anything out of the Three Headed Monster. I wonder how much we run that package now that Jermaine is gone? I think it could be killer if we use Miller the right way in it!

OU_Sooners75
4/7/2010, 07:29 AM
Pardon my lack of football knowledge, but isn't the shuffle pass supposed to work against the blitz?

It really depends on where the blitz is coming from and what type of blitz it is.

You can design a blitz to stop any type of play.

If the blitz is coming off the tackles, then the OLine is taught to let the defender to keep rushing up field. The Shuffle Pass will destroy that blitz.

However, if the blitz is coming in the middle it tends to get blown up.

That is how come a lot of the shuffle passes that Taco Tech ran on us did not work.

If they do not blitz, then the shuffle pass tends not to work either.

The shuffle pass is a pretty safe play...do not get me wrong. It is almost like a delayed hand off. if the RB drops the pass, it is an incomplete pass (for obvious reasons). However, if the area is cluttered and the RB gets no where, the result tends to be negative yardage. And for an offense (as you know) negative yards is a bad thing.

It seems when KW decides to run the shuffle pass, there are more people around the ball than we have blockers for.

However, like any other play, when perfectly executed, it is a thing of beauty.

Half a Hundred
4/7/2010, 07:34 AM
DELAY DRAW.

This.

And it's not a bad play. Our running backs just don't hit the line fast enough after the delay.

nativesooner
4/7/2010, 08:23 AM
I've never liked the toss sweep on short yardage situations. When it's 3rd and inches, why not try a fullback blast? I know what the toss is designed to do, but why pitch it back 5 yards behind the LOS when you only need a few inches or a yard? Even Bobby said "if you can't get a yard on 3rd and short, you probably shouldn't be on the field" or something like that.

gaylordfan1
4/7/2010, 08:45 AM
^True... But when the line can block Murray is best on the outside.

rawlingsHOH
4/7/2010, 08:52 AM
The draw does suck a big one! I like the pistol and I think it will be good for Landry and our running game because they get the ball quicker and can see the holes opening up instead of closing. If the o-line plays like they did last year we are going to need it. Also I could care less if any OU qb takes a snap under center because frankly I am a college fan and dont really care if it leads to NFL stardom. I know that is ****ty but and I will always be a fan of our guys but I am not going to bend over backwards to follow them once they are gone.

Least favorite play? I don't think I have one besides the draw...

Favorite play is anything out of the Three Headed Monster. I wonder how much we run that package now that Jermaine is gone? I think it could be killer if we use Miller the right way in it!

But if you don't run it, there will be a negative effect to your passing game. Got to keep the LBs honest.

John Kochtoston
4/7/2010, 09:14 AM
Many coaches now swear by running to the short side of the field. Because they can get the number game to their advantage.

It makes more sense if you have a good offensive line and mediocre backs. Last year, we had the opposite. If we're going to run outside of the tackles, I'd like to see us get Murray in an area where he has room to operate.

ashley
4/8/2010, 07:30 PM
That is not true and it never has been.

Leroy Lizard
4/8/2010, 10:49 PM
What are you referring?

Cappy
4/9/2010, 12:47 AM
The fullback dive, also known as Joe Dickinson's standard play call on 3rd and anything longer than 5 as to help with the field position battle.

Pricetag
4/9/2010, 09:41 AM
My wife thinks there is only one play where we run the ball up the middle. Every time we get stuffed running up the gut, she's always like, "There's that play again."

rawlingsHOH
4/9/2010, 09:54 AM
My wife thinks there is only one play where we run the ball up the middle. Every time we get stuffed running up the gut, she's always like, "There's that play again."

Your wife and half the stadium.

Lott's Bandana
4/9/2010, 12:04 PM
The mother****ing PUNT

Even worse:

The kickoff return that isn't starting a half.

Mississippi Sooner
4/9/2010, 12:11 PM
I'd have to say two of my least favorite plays of the last few years would be the hook and lateral and the statue of liberty.

rawlingsHOH
4/9/2010, 01:33 PM
I'd have to say two of my least favorite plays of the last few years would be the hook and lateral and the statue of liberty.

This!

And you can throw in there the HB pass.

janderson255
4/9/2010, 02:33 PM
audible at 1st and goal, or 2nd and goal, or 3rd and goal, or 4th and goal. Im surprised they dont do an audible during extra points, punts, and kick offs. thats it, thats all I have.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/9/2010, 08:05 PM
Your wife and half the stadium.

:)

SanJoaquinSooner
4/9/2010, 08:06 PM
The fade to the corner of the endzone. Rarely seems to work out.

Sooner70
4/10/2010, 07:22 AM
Meerkat Offense on the 1 yard line.

rabot10
4/10/2010, 10:22 AM

Ditto

DakotaSooner
4/10/2010, 07:08 PM
WINNER!

Ditto, it is like some twisted game of smear the queer.....most of the time the back does not even get back to the line of scrimmage.

goingoneight
4/14/2010, 04:28 PM

The bubble screen to Ryan or Demarco? Ummm... are we watching the same game film? Because I'm pretty sure if there were two things we did very well last year is was outside blocking and bubble screens.

Is it boring? After awhile, yeah... but hell... if it works, it works. The ol' wishbone dive play was boring, too.

goingoneight
4/14/2010, 04:48 PM
Mildcat formation... AKA "RE-TARD... it's a ****IN DIRECT SNAP!!! Play the ****in GAP!"

Pricetag
4/15/2010, 01:01 PM
The bubble screen to Ryan or Demarco? Ummm... are we watching the same game film? Because I'm pretty sure if there were two things we did very well last year is was outside blocking and bubble screens.

Is it boring? After awhile, yeah... but hell... if it works, it works. The ol' wishbone dive play was boring, too.
Yeah. It was the only thing we could do on offense for awhile after Sam went down.