PDA

View Full Version : Top Notre Dame recruit dies on Spring Break in FL

bringit
4/3/2010, 08:40 AM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-recruiting-matt-james-notre-dame-dies-from-fall,0,6789405.story

Such a shame.

Flagstaffsooner
4/3/2010, 09:50 AM
Sad story. but it happens every spring with kids getting drunk. Alchohol and balconies dont mix.

Collier11
4/3/2010, 12:28 PM
horrible

JLEW1818
4/3/2010, 12:33 PM
wow, just read it. that is really sad.

StoopTroup
4/3/2010, 01:15 PM
Sounds like they should put safety nets or trampolines during spring break. Of course that might have more drunks thinking how cool it would be to jump.

Wonder how many folks have fallen to their death down there?

Pretty sad for anyone to lose a kid like that.

SoonerLB
4/3/2010, 01:20 PM
Sad indeed. Without any details, it's hard to say alcohol was at fault, could have been a cheap railing. Either way, there is undoubtedly a lawyer frenzy about to happen.

Jacie
4/3/2010, 05:06 PM
Sad story. but it happens every spring with kids getting drunk. Alchohol and balconies dont mix.

Can happen anywhere, anytime.

Early 70's, a coed at Oklahoma went out a window of the Beta house during a party and died. She slipped while getting sick from drinking . . .

Scott D
4/3/2010, 05:55 PM
Sad indeed. Without any details, it's hard to say alcohol was at fault, could have been a cheap railing. Either way, there is undoubtedly a lawyer frenzy about to happen.

cops there said the kid was drunk, another reason why teenagers shouldn't be on unsupervised 'vacations'.

Leroy Lizard
4/3/2010, 05:57 PM
And parents that won't let their go kids go on such excursions are ridiculed for being old-fashioned.

Collier11
4/3/2010, 05:59 PM
well if he was in college they cant do anything about it, the fact that he was still in HS makes you wonder what his parents were thinking by letting him go on spring break like that, no sh*t he is going to drink and not be able to control himself, he is 17

Leroy Lizard
4/3/2010, 06:03 PM
It's interesting that they called him "drunk and belligerent" in the news story.

Collier11
4/3/2010, 06:06 PM
why, im sure there were people with him before he fell...

Curly Bill
4/3/2010, 06:14 PM
Sad story...yes

More stupid than sad...yes

Sabanball
4/3/2010, 07:25 PM
I would never let my 17 yr old go unchaperoned to PCB--and not just because I wouldn't want her to show up on the next "Girls Gone Wild" tape that comes out. What used to be a great, family-friendly place to take a nice vacation on some of the prettiest beaches in the world 25 yrs ago has become nothing more than a spring break party destination for 150,000 unsupervised teenagers every year.

JLEW1818
4/3/2010, 07:37 PM
my parents never woulda let me gone. but then again, if i was a badass football player going to Notre Dame, would my parents change their mind? possibly

my take

Collier11
4/3/2010, 07:39 PM
Jlew, I dont think they would let you go now if they had a choice :D

JLEW1818
4/3/2010, 07:40 PM
err

Scott D
4/3/2010, 07:53 PM
Nor would they let you go when you were old enough to be without those nice chaperones in the white jackets. :D

Collier11
4/4/2010, 12:47 AM
A cpl of weird things, apparently there were 6 parents there chaperoning the trip, so how did they get the alcohol. Also, witnesses say he was leaning over the railing arguing with some other ppl in the hotel and he fell, what a crazy deal

Collier11
4/4/2010, 12:47 AM
BTW, cops say they will pursue charges if they found out who bought the alcohol

oudavid1
4/4/2010, 01:16 AM
RIP Young Man

olevetonahill
4/4/2010, 11:17 AM

AS they should.

JLEW1818
4/4/2010, 11:25 AM
A cpl of weird things, apparently there were 6 parents there chaperoning the trip, so how did they get the alcohol. Also, witnesses say he was leaning over the railing arguing with some other ppl in the hotel and he fell, what a crazy deal

parents, or

a "hey Mr."

yankee
4/4/2010, 01:09 PM
don't drink and jump.

MI Sooner
4/4/2010, 02:25 PM
I call BS on the bringing charges. You guys have never hosted parties where people had too much to drink? Never did that in college? This kid was going to be a college freshman in 4 months. If this kid gets drunk and in a fight, he's likely tried as an adult. I think a 17 year old bears the brunt of the responsibility for his actions.

Now, if the balcony wasn't structurally sound, then they've got a problem on their hands.

MI Sooner
4/4/2010, 02:27 PM
Also, "how did they get alcohol?" lol. The chaperons should have been able to stop a raging party w/ alcohol, yes. But stopping the kids from obtaining it? They brought it on their luggage... they used their fake IDs... they gave a bum $20. Not hard.

Flagstaffsooner
4/4/2010, 02:57 PM
He signed with nd, he obviously couldnt make good choices.

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2010, 03:32 PM
I call BS on the bringing charges. You guys have never hosted parties where people had too much to drink? Never did that in college? This kid was going to be a college freshman in 4 months. If this kid gets drunk and in a fight, he's likely tried as an adult. I think a 17 year old bears the brunt of the responsibility for his actions.

I agree that the kid should bear the brunt of responsibility. But as for those adults in attendance, what does the law say? If the law says one thing and they did another, they should face the consequences. (But they are not to BLAME for the accident.)

Scott D
4/4/2010, 03:59 PM
the hotel isn't to blame. Especially since another hotel not long before this had the same thing happen where a kid fell from a balcony to his death.

The funny thing in this is that the parents who didn't go on this trip probably thought everything would be safe simply because their kids were not leaving the country (ie Mexico or Aruba).

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2010, 04:15 PM
the hotel isn't to blame. Especially since another hotel not long before this had the same thing happen where a kid fell from a balcony to his death.

If the hotel is up to code...

olevetonahill
4/4/2010, 04:23 PM
Leroy the article said that the Railing met all codes .

You are doing yer typical pick one minor part df the subject and argue it to death .

The folks who provided the Booze to under age kids are guilty of a Felony . and in this case it could be said Felony Murder .

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2010, 04:34 PM
Leroy the article said that the Railing met all codes .

You are doing yer typical pick one minor part df the subject and argue it to death .

I wasn't arguing. I was agreeing.

The folks who provided the Booze to under age kids are guilty of a Felony . and in this case it could be said Felony Murder .

I must have missed it in the news story, because I thought providing alcohol to minors was only a misdemeanor in Florida.

No matter, I can't see murder charges being brought in this case.

Scott D
4/4/2010, 04:36 PM
If the hotel is up to code...

Being the same height as this kid, I'm sure the railing was up to code (as was mentioned), however at that size and likely top heavy it's easy to see how he'd go over especially if he's acting as the report said he was.

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2010, 04:43 PM
olevet, you're wrong:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/18/1534817/proposed-laws-target-adults-who.html

One bill would up the charge for hosting minors at an alcohol-fueled house party to a first-degree misdemeanor. Currently, it's a second-degree misdemeanor. Under the other proposed bill, adults who provide or sell alcohol to minors at any other time could also face a first-degree misdemeanor charge.

Looks like I'll be getting more red spek.

Eielson
4/4/2010, 04:47 PM

Seeing how big the kid is, it easily could've been him.

Sooner30
4/4/2010, 08:09 PM
Odds are someone in the group of 40 kids had a fake ID.. I was in Panama City 2 weeks ago for spring break and it was crazy how many underage kids had booze there were like 15 yr olds walking down the road with 30 packs id say police is more to blame for not cracking down on it

Curly Bill
4/4/2010, 08:23 PM
I'd say parents are to blame for allowing their kids to go to these places.

olevetonahill
4/4/2010, 08:33 PM
olevet, you're wrong:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/18/1534817/proposed-laws-target-adults-who.html

Looks like I'll be getting more red spek.

Thanks for spending the time to look that up, Im glad we have some one here on this board that will go to the ends of the earth just to prove some ones wrong .
Yer a Champ.

Sooner30
4/4/2010, 08:34 PM
The parents didn't choose for their son to drink did they? Its not like it's the places fault like someone murdered him.. Kids can get drunk anywhere if they want to not just in panama city, Florida

Collier11
4/4/2010, 08:42 PM
panama city for spring break, think about it

I drank underage all the time, including on spring break. Big difference is I never died while under the supervision of adults.

If you host a house party and there are underage drinkers there, even if you didnt provide them the alcohol you are responsible for them. If they leave your house and get in a wreck and die, you are responsible. If the party gets busted by the cops, you are responsible

Sooner30
4/4/2010, 09:07 PM
Ok there were 40 kids and 6 adults odds are there were not parents in every room at all times.. I was in panama city 2 weeks ago I didn't die no one in our group died.. is it because I had a good chaperone? No. It might possibly be because we didn't do anything stupid that could kill us.. So while there shouldve been parents involved there prolly wasn't yet it was the choices the kid made that led to the problem so I'd say it's more the kids fault than anyones

olevetonahill
4/4/2010, 09:12 PM
While its true that the Kid is ultimately responsible for his actions . Its also the fault of whoever provided the Hooch.

Plus In MHO the adults that were supposed to supervising these kids failed miserably.

Sooner30
4/4/2010, 09:15 PM
Well it's sad but in most cases the "supervisors" are there simply so all the kids can get rooms and other than that just there for a cheap vacation

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks for spending the time to look that up, Im glad we have some one here on this board that will go to the ends of the earth just to prove olevet wrong .
Yer a Champ.

Fixed.

Did you give me any red spek?

Leroy Lizard
4/4/2010, 09:58 PM
Lesson to parents: If you allow your kids to go to Spring Break parties, a lot of bad things can happen to them, and not many good things.

It's your choice. Time to nut up.

Eielson
4/4/2010, 09:59 PM
I'd put most the blame on the kid.

note: in a year, he would be in college, and the parents wouldn't have had much of a choice.

Jello Biafra
4/5/2010, 09:11 AM
the insensitive answer would be... "thinning the herd"

SteelClip49
4/5/2010, 09:21 AM
a drunkin irishman....what else is new?

Stupid and sad.

auto
4/5/2010, 09:22 AM
AS they should.

Yawn, love the nanny state:rolleyes: . Personal responsibility, it's whats new in America;)

Leroy Lizard
4/5/2010, 10:11 AM
I'd put most the blame on the kid.

note: in a year, he would be in college, and the parents wouldn't have had much of a choice.

But he wasn't in college, and they did.

Eielson
4/5/2010, 07:02 PM
But he wasn't in college, and they did.

Duh.

olevetonahill
4/5/2010, 07:32 PM
Yawn, love the nanny state:rolleyes: . Personal responsibility, it's whats new in America;)

Then in this vein of thinking we should abolish all laws that pertain to how and or what Adults can do with Children.

You betcha Give em the hooch , well hell they may want some weed and X also . Fix em right up . :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
4/5/2010, 07:48 PM
Duh.

Then what was your point?

Eielson
4/5/2010, 07:53 PM
Then what was your point?

I feel I stated it pretty clearly.

auto
4/5/2010, 08:40 PM
Then in this vein of thinking we should abolish all laws that pertain to how and or what Adults can do with Children.

You betcha Give em the hooch , well hell they may want some weed and X also . Fix em right up . :rolleyes:

Weed is legal for 18yrs in Ak:D You really think it is a wise use fo taxpayer dollars searching for someone who gave a kid a beer? Clean out the pool

olevetonahill
4/5/2010, 08:52 PM
Weed is legal for 18yrs in Ak:D You really think it is a wise use fo taxpayer dollars searching for someone who gave a kid a beer? Clean out the pool

Dude , Weed is ILLEGAL in every State.
One beer to a Kid aint no thang , Giving a Kid enough Hooch that he kills himself is entirely dif.:rolleyes:

PLaw
4/5/2010, 09:01 PM
While its true that the Kid is ultimately responsible for his actions . Its also the fault of whoever provided the Hooch.

Plus In MHO the adults that were supposed to supervising these kids failed miserably.

^^^^THIS

I continue to be amazed at parents who provide alcohol to minors and then are dismayed when bad things happen.

Bummer.

Leroy Lizard
4/5/2010, 09:09 PM
Because adults spend too much trying to be cool in their eyes of kids.

Curly Bill
4/5/2010, 09:42 PM
Way too many parents have given up on the idea of parenting and instead try way too hard to be their kids friend.

Boomer Mooner
4/5/2010, 10:10 PM
Way too many parents have given up on the idea of parenting and instead try way too hard to be their kids friend.

Very True!

I have a girl turning 17 this summer and I am already having to dish out the tough love. I hope we're friends someday, but right now I'm Daddy to her and Mr Gibbs to her friends.

Curly Bill
4/5/2010, 10:13 PM
I think that while teens may resent some of the tough love at the time, I think that the great majority of them will in time come to appreciate and respect that they were raised by parents concerned enough to actually be a parent.

meoveryouxinfinity
4/9/2010, 10:58 AM

Now, if the balcony wasn't structurally sound, then they've got a problem on their hands.

Social host law.

and leroy, if the parents give alcohol to minors, it's a misdemeanor.
if the parents give alcohol to minors, and the child dies, they're negligent for murder.

Just like if you drive drunk and get pulled over, you get a misdemeanor (for a first offense).
If you drive drunk and kill a kid on his bike, you will probably get a felony for vehicular manslaughter in most states.

Leroy Lizard
4/9/2010, 04:48 PM
Social host law.

and leroy, if the parents give alcohol to minors, it's a misdemeanor.
if the parents give alcohol to minors, and the child dies, they're negligent for murder.

Just like if you drive drunk and get pulled over, you get a misdemeanor (for a first offense).
If you drive drunk and kill a kid on his bike, you will probably get a felony for vehicular manslaughter in most states.

The two situations are not analogous. The kid chose to drink the alcohol on his own and fell over the railing on his own. For all practical purposes, he killed himself.

While the hosts share responsibility in the death, it isn't murder. (Although Florida law may have its own interpretation.)

I just don't see stiff sentences coming down the pike unless it is proven the hosts knew the kid was underage or goaded him into drinking when he didn't want to. Good luck with both of them.

auto
2/5/2011, 09:06 PM
Dude , Weed is ILLEGAL in every State.
One beer to a Kid aint no thang , Giving a Kid enough Hooch that he kills himself is entirely dif.:rolleyes:

You might want to check AK law on that. Who cares what those dumbass feds think.:D

soonergirlNeugene
2/5/2011, 09:26 PM
When I was in undergrad, the wildest, craziest kids at the parties I went to were invariably the ones whose parents just blindly kept them from doing anything while they were living at home rather than encourage them to find and set their own limits.

Not saying parents need to stay completely out of the picture, but high school is the time where they can best help their kids put their experiences into the right perspective so they can make the right decisions when they're on their own.

Soonermagik
2/5/2011, 09:30 PM
Some of you guys need to show some respect. This young man's poor family is really hurting right now. Yes, he made a mistake, but we all have done foolish things. This is a human life we're talking about!!!

soonergirlNeugene
2/5/2011, 09:35 PM
I really feel for that kid's family. They're the true victims in this. Was just commenting on some of the discussion about the best way this sort of thing could be prevented.

C&CDean
2/5/2011, 09:44 PM
You might want to check AK law on that. Who cares what those dumbass feds think.:D

Why'd you dredge this POS thread up? Pothead much?

usaosooner
2/5/2011, 10:29 PM
Whats with the necrobump

swardboy
2/5/2011, 10:53 PM
I thought I was having deja vu all over again.

BajaOklahoma
2/5/2011, 11:10 PM
In Texas, you can go out to eat or to a bar with your underage child and buy them a drink, legally. I know for sure it is the law in Collin and Dallas County because I didn't believe it - we asked a cop.
A parent has to be beside the child with a drink at all times. If the parent goes to the bathroom, the drink has to be removed.

My kids are ticked that they were aware of this when they were underage.

sperry
2/5/2011, 11:20 PM
When I was in undergrad, the wildest, craziest kids at the parties I went to were invariably the ones whose parents just blindly kept them from doing anything while they were living at home rather than encourage them to find and set their own limits.

Not saying parents need to stay completely out of the picture, but high school is the time where they can best help their kids put their experiences into the right perspective so they can make the right decisions when they're on their own.

I agree with this. People who were total tyrants to their kids often end up with kids major substance abuse/ sexual promiscuity problems. That being said, buying booze for your kids isn't the way to go about things either.

Sooner_Tuf
2/6/2011, 12:45 AM
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/Sooner_Tuf/Sooner%20Fans/You-might-want-to-check-AK-Laws-on-that.jpg

picasso
2/6/2011, 01:10 AM
That being said, buying booze for your kids isn't the way to go about things either.

Enabling = fail.

Leroy Lizard
2/6/2011, 01:56 AM

The solution isn't to have parents say, "Gee, well... if you want to try heroin, just be careful finding out how much you can shoot up before you OD."

IMO, the kids who end up in the most trouble are those who fall in with the wrong crowd. And part of that wrong crowd consists of kids whose parents encourage them to indulge in vices.

soonergirlNeugene
2/6/2011, 05:56 AM
lol if you think anyone here is advocating that parents measure their kids heroin before shooting up, maybe you should go get your head examined

auto
2/6/2011, 07:53 AM
Why'd you dredge this POS thread up? Pothead much?

Nanny state much? I suppose you only believe in using the govt sanctioned drug list, alcohol, nictoine, etc.:D

I was checking my rep rating and saw a comment from this thread.:D

Want to insure the truth is out there (Pot Legality in certain places), war on drugs is huge waste of money and total failure.

NOw if you want to part a sum of money of your choice and pay for a drug test (negative) I can separate you from that sum of cash. :D :D Assuming someone is pot user because of an opinion is a poor logic.

C&CDean
2/6/2011, 08:37 AM
Yup. My suspicions have been confirmed. Pass the Doritos.

auto
2/6/2011, 09:06 AM
Yup. My suspicions have been confirmed. Pass the Doritos.

Stoner's prefer cheetos, off to the gym. Cheers.:D

oubose
2/6/2011, 12:24 PM
Bad news. My prayers go out to his family.