PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 defenses

PDXsooner
4/2/2010, 07:14 PM
I was reading an article about Big 12 defenses and how this past year they caught up with the spread, and that's why Big 12 offenses slowed down as opposed to 2008. Do any of you X's and O's nerds (I criticize because I'm not that smart) believe this? If so, what exactly did defenses do differently to counteract the spread?

Collier11
4/2/2010, 07:30 PM
with any offense the defenses eventually catch up...id say part of it was the young QBs, Landry, Gabbert, Johnson at a&m, The replacement at Baylor, Lee for Neb, etc...the rest is defensive adjustments that have been made

goingoneight
4/2/2010, 08:20 PM
The defenses get better when they're not playing Sam Bradford, Juaqin Iglesias, Manny Johnson, Jermaine Gresham, etc.

The offensive skill players in 2008 in the BIG 12 were outstanding. But yeah, there was also the rise of such guys as GK, Suh, Kindle, etc.

rawlingsHOH
4/2/2010, 09:14 PM
The defenses definitely caught up in 09. It was nice to see!

huskerland
4/2/2010, 11:15 PM
Some teams are going to hybred type line backer. One that has speed as well as being able to cover the spreads as well as the run, versitility, with power and speed. no need to change when other teams run the no huddle! Can adjust to the run or pass! Teams through out the Big twelve are Playing the spread much better. How all this works out this year will be interesting! Yes they are catching up with the spread! Expect more running in the conference this year! As, all of the teams seem to have good Backs... Just my opinion!

Crucifax Autumn
4/2/2010, 11:54 PM
Holy exclamation Batman!

SOONERJOSHUA
4/3/2010, 03:28 PM
Do you think in 2010 the big 12 will be more balanced and go back to the run? just wondering!:O

PDXsooner
4/3/2010, 04:38 PM
I think the conference is pretty balanced overall. My question is, what will Texas Tech do with Tuberville there? I can't see Tuberville guiding a prolific offense.

Jacie
4/3/2010, 05:15 PM
Don't get too down on Tuberville. His head coaching record is not that bad. The question is, what will he do at Tech? He is not Mike Leach. Let's face, Leach is unique among college football coaches. It would be unreasonable to suggest Tommy come in and continue to run the same type of offense. Most likely, more than just the head coach will change in Lubbock.

JLEW1818
4/3/2010, 05:19 PM
naw, the real question is, who the F would want to be in Lubbock

SOONERJOSHUA
4/3/2010, 05:25 PM
:O Whatch this year were going to see more of a running style offense, while the defence is still in the pass coverge. DM= BIG year LJ= Smooth year DEFENCE= Unstoppable

Collier11
4/3/2010, 05:31 PM
wrong thread turd burglar

Sabanball
4/3/2010, 07:38 PM
Don't get too down on Tuberville. His head coaching record is not that bad. The question is, what will he do at Tech? He is not Mike Leach. Let's face, Leach is unique among college football coaches. It would be unreasonable to suggest Tommy come in and continue to run the same type of offense. Most likely, more than just the head coach will change in Lubbock.

Tuberville tried to convert to the spread O at Auburn in '08 when he brought in Tony Franklin from Troy as his coordinator, but he junked it before it could even get off the ground midseason, mainly because he didn't have a qb that could run it. I don't think he'll have the same problem in Lubbock, and he once again has brought in an O-coord. from Troy. Add all that to the fact that he has publicly said he's committed to keeping the spread O philosophy intact, and I think it's safe to say that he will try to run that type of O.

That being said, I DO think you're going to see more balance and teams in your conference go more to pounding the rock on the ground more, especially once big leads are established in games, than they have in recent years. In fact, I look for that to happen mainly in Norman and Austin.

Tigeman
4/3/2010, 09:11 PM
That being said, I DO think you're going to see more balance and teams in your conference go more to pounding the rock on the ground more, especially once big leads are established in games, than they have in recent years. In fact, I look for that to happen mainly in Norman and Austin.

In Norman? We've been almost exactly 50% pass and 50% run, same w/ our little brother [hairGel] I don't see how we get much more balanced than that. Last year we had to divert from the run game a little as our O-line was decimated.

JLEW1818
4/3/2010, 09:14 PM
gotta take snaps from under center..... some say the oline, but the main reason was Gresham being out. That eliminated the play action. don't get me wrong, the oline still stunk

the pistol should never be used again, in any sport, any team. just shoot that play in the face.

SOONERJOSHUA
4/3/2010, 10:26 PM
Well last year we couldn't run... Just saying we stilll need the run more often... so more like 40/60 agree? disagree?:confused:

BoulderSooner79
4/3/2010, 11:23 PM
I don't care how often we run, just how effectively. We'll still be a pass-first team. But if the D is fully expecting pass, we need to be able to burn them with a run. We have to be better at it than last year (don't we?).

Curly Bill
4/3/2010, 11:25 PM
gotta take snaps from under center..... some say the oline, but the main reason was Gresham being out. That eliminated the play action. don't get me wrong, the oline still stunk

the pistol should never be used again, in any sport, any team. just shoot that play in the face.

Yup!

Sabanball
4/4/2010, 11:01 PM
In Norman? We've been almost exactly 50% pass and 50% run, same w/ our little brother [hairGel] I don't see how we get much more balanced than that. Last year we had to divert from the run game a little as our O-line was decimated.

I realize you guys had to improvise last year with the 'stache, but that was not your original plan. You guys were FORCED out of your comfort zone with the injury to Sam into running an O that you weren' t really prepared to execute. Yea, you ran it more, but only because you had no other choice.

what I'm saying is that, I believe, you're going to see a renewed emphasis on the run in 2010. Along with a little good fortune, we ran the table last year in the SEC and won a NC with a balanced O, and I think Mac and Bob have taken note. In the end, the balanced O is the hardest to defend, not the playground/sandlot/front yard O that has been popular in the Big 12 for the last decade or so.

Salt City Sooner
4/5/2010, 01:25 AM
I realize you guys had to improvise last year with the 'stache, but that was not your original plan. You guys were FORCED out of your comfort zone with the injury to Sam into running an O that you weren' t really prepared to execute. Yea, you ran it more, but only because you had no other choice.

what I'm saying is that, I believe, you're going to see a renewed emphasis on the run in 2010. Along with a little good fortune, we ran the table last year in the SEC and won a NC with a balanced O, and I think Mac and Bob have taken note. In the end, the balanced O is the hardest to defend, not the playground/sandlot/front yard O that has been popular in the Big 12 for the last decade or so.
Unless I'm missing your intent here, I think you may have read his post backwards. With the sub-par run blocking/game last year (avg. gain was over a yard less than '08), OU threw it more than preferred, esp. w/ a green QB. The play ratio last year was 52-48 in favor of the pass. In '08, it was 53-47 towards the run.

Sabanball
4/5/2010, 10:43 AM
Unless I'm missing your intent here, I think you may have read his post backwards. With the sub-par run blocking/game last year (avg. gain was over a yard less than '08), OU threw it more than preferred, esp. w/ a green QB. The play ratio last year was 52-48 in favor of the pass. In '08, it was 53-47 towards the run.

I was responding to Tigeman's post and assertion that you guys ran a balanced O last year.