PDA

View Full Version : A story about expansion that Leroy himself can appreciate

Collier11
4/2/2010, 02:08 PM
I have been and always will be a playoff guy, I think college football needs one in the worst way. Having said that, this expansion that will probably take place in college hoops is very frustrating. You wanna talk about making a regular season meaningless, the tournament going from 65-96 will completely make the regular season meaningless. Also, as this article points out http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13145732/silence-tells-all-ncaa-just-creating-more-revenue-with-expansion?tag=headlines;other

These athletes will be missing an entire week of class so the ncaa can make some more money. So much for being amateur athletes I guess

Curly Bill
4/2/2010, 02:10 PM
Playoffs are like governments -- once instituted they will grow larger.

Collier11
4/2/2010, 02:14 PM
the thing I dont get is the basic tenant of "If it aint broke, dont fix it" March Madness is one the best sporting events around, Days 1 and 2 of the tourney could pass as national holidays, yet the NCAA in all their wisdom wants to fudge that up.

Curly Bill
4/2/2010, 02:19 PM
the thing I dont get is the basic tenant of "If it aint broke, dont fix it" March Madness is one the best sporting events around, Days 1 and 2 of the tourney could pass as national holidays, yet the NCAA in all their wisdom wants to fudge that up.

It's that thought that if something is good, if we make it bigger it will be even better. You start with an 8 team football playoff for example and it's a success, you can bet your a** that there will be a huge cry for, and an eventual move to a 16 team playoff and so on.

badger
4/2/2010, 02:35 PM
Don't encourage him.

Curly Bill
4/2/2010, 02:40 PM
I can't believe I weighed in on the playoff thing again.

I keep swearing to myself that I will avoid these threads like the plague. :O

Collier11
4/2/2010, 02:47 PM
well in fairness, I dont want to talk about the football playoff...I think the main numbers you can look at are the fact that college football fans overwhelmingly want a playoff and overwhelmingly DO NOT want this expansion...The lost poll I saw on ESPN was 82% no...that should tell you something

ndpruitt03
4/2/2010, 02:47 PM
A playoff is like a government it's great when it's small. Sucks when too many get involved. The NCAA Tournament is probably a little too big but most years the most consistent teams win. In the F4 this year there's really been 1 team that hasn't been good all year and that team(Mich State) was a rated top 5 early in the year. Butler has won 24 in a row, Duke a 1 seed. WVU won the BE tournament and was in the discussion as a 1 seed.

Collier11
4/2/2010, 02:51 PM
and now we will get to see a 24 seed who is 18-15 play a 9 seed or however it works out, that is just lame

jumperstop
4/2/2010, 02:53 PM
A playoff is like a government it's great when it's small. Sucks when too many get involved. The NCAA Tournament is probably a little too big but most years the most consistent teams win. In the F4 this year there's really been 1 team that hasn't been good all year and that team(Mich State) was a rated top 5 early in the year. Butler has won 24 in a row, Duke a 1 seed. WVU won the BE tournament and was in the discussion as a 1 seed.

So a dictatorship where the power rest in the hands of a small group of people is better than a democracy of the people?

No but really I agree that it should not be expanded to 96 teams. Who comes up with these stupid ideas? Everyone I heard talk about it is against it. If anyone thinks it is genuinly a good idea, speak up and give a good reason please...