PDA

View Full Version : Under the Banner of Heaven

PDXsooner
4/1/2010, 04:32 PM
Has anyone around here read this? Wow, just Wow. It's amazing how otherwise intelligent, logical, and honest people get so entranced by religion. One thing I cant' help think as I read it is what would we think about Jesus or Mohammed if this type of perspective would have been given to them around 100-150 years after they lived?

The whole polygamy thing is interesting as well. I like 14-year old girls, therefore I'm going to write a scripture that basically says God wants me to "marry" them (bang them) and it's ok.

Jello Biafra
4/1/2010, 04:34 PM
I'm going to write a scripture that basically says God wants me to "marry" them (bang them) and it's ok.

knock yerself out...

yermom
4/1/2010, 04:39 PM
where polygamy gets me is "well, the government says it's wrong, so magically, God said it's not part of our religion anymore the other day"

C&CDean
4/1/2010, 04:59 PM
I'm kinda torn on the whole polygamy thing. Animals **** the hell outta multiple partners. Yes, I know, there's some looney birds and some insects or something that only **** one partner for life, but generally speaking, it's a ****-free-for-all in the animal world. Sometimes I've wondered "if I wasn't supposed to **** all the girls, why do I want to?" but I guess that's part of the whole self-control moral deal. Hell, who knows?

yermom
4/1/2010, 05:28 PM
well, the same could be said for teh gheys

Scott D
4/1/2010, 06:21 PM
I'm kinda torn on the whole polygamy thing. Animals **** the hell outta multiple partners. Yes, I know, there's some looney birds and some insects or something that only **** one partner for life, but generally speaking, it's a ****-free-for-all in the animal world. Sometimes I've wondered "if I wasn't supposed to **** all the girls, why do I want to?" but I guess that's part of the whole self-control moral deal. Hell, who knows?

some animals have a single mate for life.

PDXsooner
4/1/2010, 07:20 PM

That's pretty much my take. I've always thought that if consenting adults want to have multiple spouses, let 'em do it..it's a free country, right? If some dude wants to put up with that much drama, go right ahead.

The problem with these Mormon fundamentalists is that the girls are 14 and 15 years old and have lived such a sheltered life they don't know the difference. It's very disturbing.

SoonerInKCMO
4/1/2010, 07:50 PM
I started reading that a couple of months ago and got creeped out and pissed off... it's still sitting somewhere in my bedroom waiting to be finished.

I thought it was well written and informative though. :thumbsup:

Leroy Lizard
4/1/2010, 07:57 PM

We typically adopt behaviors to separate us from animals. That is why we have so many customs revolving around how we eat food.

SoonerStormchaser
4/1/2010, 08:18 PM

Have you seen a horse or cow get the clap? That's why!

RACHEL MADDOW is my clone
4/1/2010, 08:22 PM
There is no God, idiots. It's been proven by science.

Leroy Lizard
4/1/2010, 08:34 PM
Science proves nothing. Never has. Never will.

PDXsooner
4/1/2010, 10:00 PM
Science proves nothing. Never has. Never will.

Proves nothing? Or did you mean as it pertains to God?

Crucifax Autumn
4/1/2010, 10:18 PM
Have you seen a horse or cow get the clap? That's why!

Happens to both those and sheep in stoolwater all the time.

Leroy Lizard
4/1/2010, 10:40 PM
Proves nothing? Or did you mean as it pertains to God?

No, I mean it proves nothing in regards to anything. It can model, verify, reason, predict, and explain, but it cannot prove.

At least, that's how I see it.

GottaHavePride
4/1/2010, 11:46 PM
Well, if that's your criteria, then there isn't actually any proof that 1 > 0.

Leroy Lizard
4/1/2010, 11:56 PM
What did you think "prove" meant? "Seems likely"? "Sure looks that way"? "Works for me"?

Crucifax Autumn
4/2/2010, 04:25 AM
I can set up a scientific experiment to test the theory that being stabbed in the jugular makes a person bleed from the neck. I'm pretty g'damned sure that once I whip out the butcher knife to test the theory I'm gonna have some very solid proof of my theory.

yermom
4/2/2010, 09:34 AM
Well, if that's your criteria, then there isn't actually any proof that 1 > 0.

i've had to do that proof. it sucks.

picasso
4/2/2010, 10:15 AM
That's the one Krakauer book I shant ever read. I don't care to learn any more about the Mormons, or Belgians for that matter.

goingoneight
4/2/2010, 11:58 AM

Animals don't have to worry about Gonoherpesyphilitis.