PDA

View Full Version : Another good Bradford article

Collier11
4/1/2010, 03:46 PM
This one from the St Louis Dispatch, Bradford is such a good dude

Sam Bradford: Going to the Rams a “Great Opportunity”
By Bernie Miklasz

Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, a strong candidate to become the top overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft, was a guest on my 101 ESPN radio show Thursday. Bradford’s visit was timely. The Rams, of course, hold the No. 1 overall choice and are intensely interested in Bradford. But the Washington Redskins, who draft fourth overall, are said to be enamored with Bradford.

And that has led to league-wide speculation on Bradford’s future. Would the Rams trade down to Washington’s spot? Does Bradford hope to avoid a career with the Rams, who are 6-42 over the last three seasons? Would Bradford prefer to play for the Redskins and their new head coach, Mike Shanahan? And would Bradford’s agent, the powerful Tom Condon, attempt to maneuver Bradford to the D.C.?

I asked Bradford the point-blank questions: would he rather go to Washington and does he have any reservations about playing for St. Louis?

“I”m really not sure where all of that got started,” Bradford said. “I’ve never said anything like that. It’s a draft. I believe that you go to whatever team picks you. Obviously the Rams have the first pick and if they pick me I would be in St. Louis. I think it’s pretty simple.”

Bradford added that he’d be motivated to help play a lead role in reviving the Rams franchise.

“No doubt,” he said. “I think it would be a great opportunity. I’ve always dreamed of playing in the NFL. If I do happen to be the No. 1 pick and go to St. Louis, I think it would be a great opportunity and something that I’ve looked forward to for a long time now.”

On Wednesday, Condon came onto 101 ESPN and was asked about the rumors that he’s trying to get Bradford to the Redskins. He shot it down.

“I’m not trying to steer anybody to anyplace,” said Condon, who proceeded to praise the Rams, most notably GM Billy Devaney.

Bradford indicated he’s developed good feelings about the Rams through his meetings and conversations with Rams Devaney, head coach Steve Spagnuolo, offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur and quarterbacks coach Richard Curl.

“I’ve really enjoyed getting to know them,” Bradford said. “Obviously I’ve talked to and met all of them at the combine, and it was great. I’ve had some contact with them after the combine, leading up to my Pro Day. Before my Pro Day I had breakfast with Coach Spagnuolo. Coach Shurmur was there, coach Curl was there, Mr. Devaney. So I got to talk to all of them that morning, and a little after my Pro Day. But in the time that I got to know them, they seemed like great guys. And they really seemed to have a passion for leading the Rams back to victory.”

Sure, we would expect Bradford to say nice things about the Rams.

But he didn’t have to be so gracious in his comments. And Bradford doesn’t seem to be the con-man type of person. Those who know him well insist that the young man is genuine. I doubt that Bradford would be so enthusiastic about the Rams if he felt repulsed by the idea of joining them. If nothing else, he could have ducked the question but didn’t.

John Elway didn’t praise the Baltimore Colts before the 1983 draft. They drafted him against Elway’s wishes and the Colts traded him to Denver. Eli Manning didn’t make diplomatic, upbeat comments about the San Diego Chargers before the 2004 draft. The Chargers drafted Manning but bailed as soon as it became clear that he wouldn’t sign with them. Manning was traded to the NY Giants.

Rams’ officials have told me that they’re impressed with Bradford’s intangibles. His character, intelligence, attitude, dedication and maturity. I asked Bradford to describe how he would handle being the No. 1 overall pick, and the pressure that would come with the job of playing QB for a rebuilding franchise.

“To be successful at the quarterback position, your intangibles have to be just as strong, if not stronger, than your physical attributes,” Bradford said. “I believe I bring a lot of different things to the table as far as intangibles. I have an extremely high work ethic. I think I put more pressure on myself to succeed than anyone could imagine. And if I am the No. 1 pick, I guarantee that I’m going to work as hard as I can to make sure that everyone knows that the team that drafted me made the right decision. I feel like I’m very intelligent. I feel like I make very quick decisions on the football field. I feel that I really have about everything you need to be successful at the quarterback position. Obviously I still have a lot too learn about the NFL game. I know it’s much different than the college game. But I’m willing to put in the time and the effort to make sure that I understand, and I’m prepared, to step on that field and help whoever it is that drafts me win football games.”

Bradford also likes the St. Louis proximity to his hometown, Oklahoma City.

“No doubt. It’s an easy day drive, and if you hop on a flight it’s maybe 45 minutes,” he said. “The location is definitely good when you take into consideration that my family is so close.”

Also on Thursday’s show: acclaimed orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews, who performed the surgery to repair the AC joint in Bradford’s right shoulder.

“I quit worrying about Sam months ago,” Andrews told me. “He never had any kind of setback, any type of complaint. He’s a very dedicated athlete. There are some quarterbacks that I can go back to with that kind of dedication that Sam had during his recovery. Recently one of those quarterbacks was Drew Brees, for example. And Brett Favre. And Sam’s got that maturity. He really got himself in super shape during this recovery. He’s probably stronger than he’s ever been. He put on 13 pounds of upper extremity muscle and he’s completely recovered. He’s ready to go.”

Bradford said his shoulder feels “great” in the aftermath of Monday’s Pro Day.

I told Bradford that I’d heard he was a big hockey fan … which he is. I joked that I thought the St. Louis Blues would be happy to hook him up with tickets should be become the Rams QB.

Bradford chuckled.

But he liked the idea.

“OK! I’m down with that,” he said. “That would be good.”

-Bernie

Boomer.....
4/1/2010, 04:04 PM
“I”m really not sure where all of that got started,” Bradford said. “I’ve never said anything like that. It’s a draft. I believe that you go to whatever team picks you. Obviously the Rams have the first pick and if they pick me I would be in St. Louis. I think it’s pretty simple.”

Yeah, Eli!

rawlingsHOH
4/1/2010, 04:14 PM
“I”m really not sure where all of that got started,” Bradford said.
Likely by some overzealous Redskins fans!

Collier11
4/1/2010, 04:17 PM
or by the Rams to throw people off the scent

Jello Biafra
4/1/2010, 04:19 PM
man, that kid has come a long way from the time me and my son met him as a young PCN senior at athletes in progress.

Leroy Lizard
4/1/2010, 05:16 PM
What's the prevailing opinion about Clausen? I am just curious if NFL team owners have the same opinion of his attitude as most non-Irish fans.

BoulderSooner79
4/1/2010, 05:35 PM
I am totally amazed at all the press Sam is getting as potential 1st pick. Maybe it's just that I'm paying attention because he is a Sooner and it's always this way and I don't usually notice. But I'm parked out here on the west coast (very non-Sooner country) and it is in the local sports new all the time. And no California team is even in the running to pick Sam (I guess the Niners would hae to play against him in St. Louis). Or it could be the fact that the contract for the #1 pick is now larger than the GDP or several small countries...

badger
4/1/2010, 05:38 PM
Check this out - video of Sammie and his doctor talk about sports injuries.
Linky (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/sports/how-kids-can-prevent-sports-injuries-040110)

SunnySooner
4/1/2010, 06:07 PM
I am totally amazed at all the press Sam is getting as potential 1st pick. Maybe it's just that I'm paying attention because he is a Sooner and it's always this way and I don't usually notice. But I'm parked out here on the west coast (very non-Sooner country) and it is in the local sports new all the time. And no California team is even in the running to pick Sam (I guess the Niners would hae to play against him in St. Louis). Or it could be the fact that the contract for the #1 pick is now larger than the GDP or several small countries...

heh, I was thinking the exact same thing--I don't remember nuthin bout Stafford's pro day last year, do y'all? It does seem like he's getting a lot of print, but then, it's a dramatic situation, so maybe that's why. In any case, looks like Sam is handling it all in stride, as usual.