PDA

View Full Version : A QUIET ANGER

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/30/2010, 08:06 PM
http://spectator.org/archives/2010/03/30/americas-quiet-anger

Quote:
America's Quiet Anger

By James P. Gannon on 3.30.10 @ 6:07AM

There is a quiet anger boiling in America.

It is the anger of millions of hard-working citizens who pay their bills, send in their income taxes, maintain their homes and repay their mortgage loans -- and see their government reward those who do not.

It is the anger of small town and Middle American folks who have never been to Manhattan, who put their savings in a community bank and borrow from a local credit union, who watch Washington lawmakers and presidents of both parties hand billions in taxpayer bailouts to the reckless Wall Street titans who brought down the economy in 2008.

It is the fury of the voiceless, the powerless, the ordinary nobodies of Flyover Country who are ridiculed, preached to, satirized and insulted by the Celebrity Loudmouths of the two Left Coasts, the Jon Stewarts and Keith Olbermanns, the Paul Krugmans and their ilk.

It is the salted wound of the millions who see that ruling Democrats in Congress are not listening to them but are willfully ignoring public opinion and the verdict of recent elections in passing a huge new health care entitlement when the existing entitlements of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are already going broke.

It is the frustrating helplessness of citizens who revere the Founding Fathers and the genius of the Constitution that they wrote, who actually believe the words of the Constitution mean what they say, not more and not less. They who watch politicians and the courts stretch and bend that Constitution -- finding "rights" not enumerated, powers never granted, meanings unimagined -- believe that their country is being redefined without their consent.

Most of the angry are not out marching in the streets, waving signs or shouting into bullhorns. And they are not smashing windows or phoning death threats to politicians. They are simply waking up angry in the morning, and going to bed angry at night. And their resentment is multiplied by the media's efforts to portray them all as dangerous, crazy people, and by the effort of certain Democrats to tar them with brush of violent intent.
They are embittered, too, by the rhetoric of a triumphant president who turns on its head Winston Churchill's heroic attitude promising defiance in defeat but magnanimity in victory.

For a president of a deeply divided country, defiance in victory is not an endearing posture. It has all the persuasive charm of a Chad Ochocinco victory dance in the end zone of the opponent's stadium.

These quietly angry people gather in their churches while their religions are called divisive and their beliefs are labeled as bigotry, and they pray for a better day. They talk among themselves in their Main Street cafes, at the Rotary club or at their kids' softball games, seeking others who understand their frustration and will not respond with arrogant dismissal.

They are tired of being told they are too stupid to understand the country's complex problems, too rooted in the past to find solutions, too selfish to share what they have worked for with everyone else who wants it.

They are not reaching for guns or for pitchforks. They are holding their anger within, waiting for their time, watching those in power over-reach and over-indulge.

Their wound is deep, and it will not be salved by more presidential speeches, Congressional hand-outs, or promises of wonderful things to come. They no longer believe any of that.

Their quiet rage abides, waiting till it can be expressed in that silent place behind the curtain where the ballot lists the names that they have now committed to an angry memory.

Crucifax Autumn
3/30/2010, 08:19 PM
I know a lot of angry people, but in my experience they have equal anger for both sides.

soonerinkaty
3/30/2010, 08:21 PM
Wow. I like this article.

RACHEL MADDOW is my clone
3/30/2010, 08:22 PM
This is one of the dumbest articles I've ever read.

soonerinkaty
3/30/2010, 08:22 PM
your cute. for a chick that looks like a man

BudSooner
3/30/2010, 09:01 PM
Aw ****, left my sandwich out...brb.

tommieharris91
3/30/2010, 09:02 PM
What is the best way to eat hamburgers straight off the grill?

Fraggle145
3/30/2010, 09:07 PM
I think I just sharted a little bit.

Scott D
3/30/2010, 10:09 PM
apparently america is getting sick of rlimc's threads also.

soonerscuba
3/30/2010, 10:12 PM
I like how Democrats are divisive and look down their nose of the aww-shucksy center of the country while the author talking as if having been to Manhattan, living on a coast and being in the market is the what's really wrong with this country. What a meaningless pile of ****, even for RLIMC.

GottaHavePride
3/30/2010, 10:36 PM
I've been to Manhattan.

You know what? It's a ****ing awesome place to visit. Would I want to live there? No, not unless I was making $5 million a year.

delhalew
3/30/2010, 11:15 PM
The responses in this thread are an excellent example of what this article speaks of. You guys are so sick of RLimC that will pretend that this article didn't bullseye the feelings of half of our nation. That is truly sad and devisive.

Scott D
3/30/2010, 11:16 PM
the article can be considered as just as divisive.

the easy thing is this country is to assign blame on 'them'.

It's been a pattern used for the last 300+ years.

delhalew
3/30/2010, 11:25 PM
Call it what you want, but can't call it inaccurate.
Obviously, you can...but you would be ignorant of the feelings of many Americans.

3/30/2010, 11:41 PM
The responses in this thread are an excellent example of what this article speaks of. You guys are so sick of RLimC that will pretend that this article didn't bullseye the feelings of half of our nation. That is truly sad and devisive.They think we should shuddup and accept America's prison buttf*cking and attempted overthrow of the country. I doubt they will get their wish.

Crucifax Autumn
3/31/2010, 12:15 AM
All I was saying is that everyone seemes to be pissed off. The lefties are pissed at the righties and vice versa. The people in the middle are pissed off at both extremes. All 3 are pretty mad about the lack of coherent conversation.

homerSimpsonsBrain
3/31/2010, 12:28 AM
If you picture Eric Cartman reading that article its funny as hell

3/31/2010, 12:32 AM
All I was saying is that everyone seemes to be pissed off. The lefties are pissed at the righties and vice versa. The people in the middle are pissed off at both extremes. All 3 are pretty mad about the lack of coherent conversation.The govt. is forcing things on the people that we don't want(according to Polling data). Those people doing the forcing are lefties. Open your eyes. There has been plenty of conversation.

America: "Please, no socialized medicine. It's govt. controlling our lives."
The Democrats in Control: "Shaddup and bend over, you evil capitalists. We're in power now, and this is how it is."

RACHEL MADDOW is my clone
3/31/2010, 12:41 AM
The electorate put those people in charge. They even campaigned on such reform. The people the pollsters are getting are stupid and fickle.

Crucifax Autumn
3/31/2010, 12:46 AM
But most everything in the Bill was either proposed by Republicans as a counter to Clinton's plan in the 90s or Romney's plan in Mass. and the polling data also indicates that when you break out the individual pieces, more people are for them than against them.

I'm not saying it's a fantastic thing by any stretch, but it seems kinda silly that people who proposed the same crap are now screaming about how horrible it all is. The opposite is also true...Why are lefties so happy to embrace something that they were dead-set against when it was offered as an alternative to the Plan Clinton offered in the 90s????

Are we really so ideologically brainwashed that right wingers are for healthcare reform UNLESS it's proposed by a dem? Are left wingers the same? WTF is wrong with people when they can be for or against the exact same thing dependent on whether a donkey or elephant spews it on the campaign trail?

I just think it's silly that we can't argue more consistently about this crap regardless of who is in charge.

3/31/2010, 12:50 AM
But most everything in the Bill was either proposed by Republicans as a counter to Clinton's plan in the 90s or Romney's plan in Mass. and the polling data also indicates that when you break out the individual pieces, more people are for them than against them.

I'm not saying it's a fantastic thing by any stretch, but it seems kinda silly that people who proposed the same crap are now screaming about how horrible it all is. The opposite is also true...Why are lefties so happy to embrace something that they were dead-set against when it was offered as an alternative to the Plan Clinton offered in the 90s????

Are we really so ideologically brainwashed that right wingers are for healthcare reform UNLESS it's proposed by a dem? Are left wingers the same? WTF is wrong with people when they can be for or against the exact same thing dependent on whether a donkey or elephant spews it on the campaign trail?

I just think it's silly that we can't argue more consistently about this crap regardless of who is in charge.haha,...haha, heh

Crucifax Autumn
3/31/2010, 12:57 AM
Laugh all you want. Anyone that's not as partisan as yourself or that cartoon character that posted before me can see that the public debate is more about partisanship and hate than about the actual substance of any given issue.

Idiots a few years ago that couldn't argue sensibly about the Iraq war so instead just said Bush was a Nazi and spouted off **** about homeland security and the parallels to Germany as Hitler rose to power were idiots with no grasp on reality. It's not all that different today.

All that was required on this healthcare bill or a jobs bill was for the sides to sit down with no pre-planned agenda and actually focus the energy they always seem to have to scream party talking points on actually getting some real work done on sensible bills.

Unfortunately it's all a numbers game with morons on the Hill treating it more like a sport than the future of our country.

Crucifax Autumn
3/31/2010, 12:58 AM
And for you people on either side, Rush included, I agree with a lot both of you have to say...just not all of it and not the way you say it.

3/31/2010, 01:02 AM
There should be an award for message board refereeing.

Crucifax Autumn
3/31/2010, 01:08 AM
lol...What can I say? when Rush and Rachel are posting in the same thread someone has to do it!

Just consider me John Stewart when he destroyed the show Crossfire. lol

Crucifax Autumn
3/31/2010, 01:27 AM
Liberal blog ThinkProgress:

“Both plans require people to purchase coverage, and both provide affordability credits to those who can’t afford insurance. Both create insurance exchanges, both establish minimum creditable coverage standards for insurers, and both require employers to contribute towards reform.”

The American Spectator’s Conservative Philip Klein:

Romney will be left telling angry primary voters that the only real difference between the two plans is that he implemented his policies at the state level, while Obama did it through the federal government. It’s sort of like saying, ‘As governor, I raised state income taxes, but the thought of raising federal income taxes — that’s an outrage!’

Bush speechwriter David Frum:

Romneycare Sure Looks Like Obamacare.

Here is a list of major provissions in the healthcare bill compared to Romneycare:

Major Provisions Senate Bill Massachusetts Bill
Individual Mandate Yes Yes
Employer Responsibility Yes Yes
Affordability Credits Yes Yes
Standard Benefit Package Yes Yes
Establishes Exchanges Yes Yes
Prohibits Insurance Company From Canceling Coverage Yes Yes
Bans Denying Medical Coverage For Pre-existing Conditions Yes Yes
Medicaid Expansion Yes Yes
Medicare Cuts Yes No Authority
Cap On High-Cost Plans Yes No

Same ****, different day.

Actually, different **** in that the federal bill actually contains some form of cost control that the Mass. law doesn't.

Scott D
3/31/2010, 07:07 AM
Call it what you want, but can't call it inaccurate.
Obviously, you can...but you would be ignorant of the feelings of many Americans.

I never said it was inaccurate. Just that the type of intentional wording used contributes to a mindset of creating more divisiveness. But, that's all I've come to expect from anyone who believes they have a 'voice' when it comes to projecting their political 'perspective'.

Scott D
3/31/2010, 07:08 AM
They think we should shuddup and accept America's prison buttf*cking and attempted overthrow of the country. I doubt they will get their wish.

your recent obsession with prison based anal sex concerns me.

BudSooner
3/31/2010, 08:42 AM
Grocery list:
Eggs,bacon,bread,green beans,ground beef,corn........

delhalew
3/31/2010, 08:43 AM
A rep would not mandate everyone buy insurance, or make it harder on business to procvide care. If they did, and were called out on it, they would lose their seat.
Speaking of that, you better believe some current (r)s will not make it past the primaries.

King Barry's Back
3/31/2010, 08:51 AM
I like how Democrats are divisive and look down their nose of the aww-shucksy center of the country while the author talking as if having been to Manhattan, living on a coast and being in the market is the what's really wrong with this country. What a meaningless pile of ****, even for RLIMC.

I lived on the East Coast for years. Guess what? They REALLY DO hate people in places like Oklahoma.

When they call us "flyover country," and they do very often, they do not mean it as a compliment.

soonerscuba
3/31/2010, 08:55 AM
I lived on the East Coast for years. Guess what? They REALLY DO hate people in places like Oklahoma.

When they call us "flyover country," and they do very often, they do not mean it as a compliment.Cool story, Hansel. That doesn't change the fact that viewing people based on geographic location is epically retarded, regardless of the vantage point.

SoonerJack
3/31/2010, 09:02 AM
Good article, RLIMC. Thanks for sharing it.

MrJimBeam
3/31/2010, 09:16 AM
Good thing I don't give 2 ****s what someone from Manhattan thinks of "fly-over" country.

As far as the article goes I'm pretty pissed off too. And I'll be voting for a Dem this fall for the first time since '88 cause he did what's right with HCR.

JohnnyMack
3/31/2010, 09:31 AM
Actually, different **** in that the federal bill actually contains some form of cost control that the Mass. law doesn't.

OK now for a nickel, what's the important difference?

Jello Biafra
3/31/2010, 09:34 AM
Good thing I don't give 2 ****s what someone from Manhattan thinks of "fly-over" country.

now you know why people in north eastern oklahoma voted for a kid who was barely out of high school....we're tired of all this bullshiite...

as far as "fly over" goes....they had better hope they continue to make enough money to continue to fly over. if they don't, there's a better than average chance you'll get cut in this neck of the woods with that attitude.

soonerinabilene
3/31/2010, 09:34 AM
to respond to the most pressing question in this thread: the proper way to eat a hamburger straight off the grill is with your mouth, very carefully to avoid blistering your tongue, cause that really hurts.

Boarder
3/31/2010, 09:44 AM
OK now for a nickel, what's the important difference?
The tanning bed tax.

Pricetag
3/31/2010, 11:07 AM
I know a lot of angry people, but in my experience they have equal anger for both sides.
Yep. The people who the author would like to be this angry at the democrats are disenchanted with both parties. The people who are as angry as the author describes already voted for the republicans the last round, and their doing it again this time will make no difference.

goingoneight
3/31/2010, 12:29 PM
The electorate put those people in charge. They even campaigned on such reform. The people the pollsters are getting are stupid and fickle.

This is your winner whiny libs and bitter conservatives.

How many people do you know who voiced their reasoning for their vote for one of the following:

1. Because he was black... and we never had a black president before (social ignorance).

2. Because their guy was white, and they didn't like the black/muslim/whatever guy (social ignorance).

3. Because they "done thought he was gonna take our guns away."

4. Because "he's a terrorist whom some unreliable website said he wasn't born in the US."

5. Because he speaks well in public.

6. Because it's better than the next Bush.

7. Because his hair is nice (believe it or not, I remember a few women here at work voting for Kerry in 2004 for this very reason).

8. Because we need change (not having any idea what change needs to be made if any).

You're Americans, and that's your God-given right to vote for who you want to no matter how stupid or biased the reason. You have to bite the bullet when your guy or gal doesn't win. That's life, not just the life of an American. Good thing is I guess we have the right to **** and moan about it if we don't like it. And we have the power to vote again eventually.

OhU1
3/31/2010, 12:46 PM
Some people are angry. So what? Their guy didn't win. The election is over. Do something about it for next time instead of whining like a Longhorn. Anger is a simple and primitive emotion anyway - typical of how a child reacts when he doesn't get everything he wants.

Ike
3/31/2010, 12:49 PM
The article is wrong right from the first sentence.

There is no quiet anger. The people that are angry don't shut up long enough for there to be any quiet.

;)

rainiersooner
3/31/2010, 12:55 PM
It is the anger of small town and Middle American folks who have never been to Manhattan, who put their savings in a community bank and borrow from a local credit union, who watch Washington lawmakers and presidents of both parties hand billions in taxpayer bailouts to the reckless Wall Street titans who brought down the economy in 2008.

Those community banks and local credit unions would not exist without Manhattan and Wall Street. Who do you think lends to them? Moreover, the government just received a 14% return in Citibank. This anger at Wall Street is misplaced and misguided, whether it comes from Democrats or Republicans.

It is the salted wound of the millions who see that ruling Democrats in Congress are not listening to them but are willfully ignoring public opinion and the verdict of recent elections in passing a huge new health care entitlement when the existing entitlements of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are already going broke.

Yeah, I was under the impression that the way a democracy works is that you are elected and then you govern. If you govern in a way that is not consistent with the will of the people, you are not re-elected. Although I suppose in the mind of this author the 2008 general election is far less important than the 2010 special election for the late Ted Kennedy's Senate seat.

For a president of a deeply divided country, defiance in victory is not an endearing posture. It has all the persuasive charm of a Chad Ochocinco victory dance in the end zone of the opponent's stadium.

Wow, that uppity black man in the White House should really learn his place.

Overall, that is one of the weaker articles I've read. There are many reasons to object to and oppose the policies of the current administration. I find substantive fault with many of their decisions. But this whining about abuse of power and abuse of process; these cries about how poorly the silent majority is being treated; this hypocritical refusal to see that Democrats, just like Republicans, govern and push their agenda when elected...it is just really sad in my opinion. The conservative movement deserves better.

Boomer.

Jello Biafra
3/31/2010, 02:42 PM
Wow, that uppity black man in the White House should really learn his place.

NOOOOOWWWWwwwwww you're getting it...