PDA

View Full Version : How much have the Lady Sooners exceeded expectations?

stoopified
3/30/2010, 02:39 PM
I think I was one of the most optimistic entering this season.I thought we could go Sweet 16.I do admit freely my expectations changed dramatically after Whitney went down,I was thinking we could Mabe finish 15-15,16-14.

While I think it is a given that this is the best coaching job of Sherri's stellar career,I think it also proves Sherri's OTHER recruits are pretty darn good players.Stevenson,Robinson,Thompson,Olajuwon, were were clearly overshadowed by the Paris twins but I think this season does validate that last year's Final Four team was much more than just Courtney,Ashley, and 3 warm bodies.

In all candor,I think the team members often subjugated themselves to secondary roles waiting for the twins to make THE BIG PLAYS.There is no doubt after this season just how talented the OTHER players are and how good Sherri Coale is as a coach.

I have to admit that the player I am most impressed with is Abi Olajuwon.She did nothing in her first three seasons to make me think she was a player much less a starter.I also applaud her OUTSTANDING performances in the NCAA tourney.

Boomer.....
3/30/2010, 02:48 PM
Abi has been amazing this season. Slimming down really has helped her. This season you got to see others like AT, Ny and Robinson shine. As good as CP3 was, it was so frustrating seeing the guards throwing the ball away just trying to get it down low to Courtney. This has been a great coaching job by "The great stilettoed one".

badger
3/30/2010, 02:54 PM
Sherri Coale hates the term "Lady Sooners." I recommend all future references refer to them as THE Oklahoma Sooner basketball team. :D

oumartin
3/30/2010, 02:57 PM
Soonerettes?

stoopified
3/30/2010, 03:40 PM
Sherri Coale hates the term "Lady Sooners." I recommend all future references refer to them as THE Oklahoma Sooner basketball team. :DI am aware of that but how else do you differentiate them from the men?I could have reffered to them as Sherri's Sooners I suppose.Thankfully Sherri doesn't read this board,otherwise I'd have a stiletto in my butt.

ouleaf
3/30/2010, 03:42 PM
I don't get what's wrong with "Lady Sooners"? Seems perfectly acceptable.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/30/2010, 03:47 PM
I knew when I saw the title of this thread that badg would be here with a rebuke on the Lady Sooners tag. I like that we're just the Sooners no matter the gender of folks participating.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/30/2010, 03:48 PM
Oh, the gals have done great this year!

Sooner04
3/30/2010, 03:49 PM
Sherri has gone on record many times being against anything "Lady" Sooners. You'll also notice she frequently calls her team "the guys".

Bourbon St Sooner
3/30/2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah, but she's Okie, so everybody's "guys". They could be all aliens (legal or illegal) and they'd still be "our guys."

badger
3/30/2010, 03:57 PM
Sherri has gone on record many times being against anything "Lady" Sooners. You'll also notice she frequently calls her team "the guys".

The problem is that it differentiates them from other Sooner teams, methinks. Many steps have been taken between the mens and womens programs to give them equal footing as far as facilities, promotions, equipment, etc. goes. A donor apparently insisted that the mens and womens practice gym expansions be equal at LNC. They are.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if at least someone associated from the program read this board.

If Sherri hears "Lady Sooners," she'll correct it immediately. However, if she heard that the big thread on OU womens basketball is called "blogging wimmens basketball," the former English teacher would probably kill me.

Ruf/Nek7
3/30/2010, 04:14 PM
I think the ladies have far exceeded expectations. I feel that before Whitney Hand got hurt there was a sense of "oh no here we go again" but the girls really came together and have done quite well. Beating Notre Dame was proof of that. The first time we played them, it was right after losing Hand, we came back with a vengeance.

We have a tough one tonight in Kentucky and even if we lose i say hella season!

fwsooner22
3/30/2010, 04:19 PM
I just want tonite to be a game where we "hunker down" for a huge battle and actually smile at the end. Its been awhile.

Good Luck OU Basketball Team (ahem).