PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know when Sam's statue goes up?

No1Better
3/30/2010, 10:09 AM
I know Barry Tramel is putting together the Sooner fan anthology and I realized that he may complete it before Sam's statue is complete. Anyone know when Sam will be immortalized on campus?

badger
3/30/2010, 10:15 AM
The Heisman statues were actually an Oklahoma Centennial Project. Yes, 2007 is a long time ago, but all four statues were up by the Centennial year as a way to honor Oklahoma's rich sports history.

For the record, the Centennial committee offered Oklahoma State University a statue of their Heisman. Poke opted out, perhaps because they thought the statue would be lonely, perhaps because they were worried that Barry Sanders wouldn't come back to campus for its unveiling.

As such, the next statue would be purely at the discretion of the University of Oklahoma. If they were to do one for Sammie, I hope they would also consider doing one for Blake Griffin, our first Naismith winner, and then another for the greatest OU basketball player ever, Wayman Tisdale... if not for his accomplishments at OU, for his gold medal. :)

http://bobmccarty.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/bradfordheismanparkstatue.jpg
(this is Czar Soonerov's idea, even if most sites don't give him credit for it)

No1Better
3/30/2010, 10:28 AM
Awesome, thanks!!

SteelClip49
3/30/2010, 10:44 AM
I say replace the watchman on top of the state capitol dome and replace it with Sam Bradford's statue.

Sooner-N-KS
3/30/2010, 11:47 AM
I would be surprised if it isn't already being made.

My guess is that they are waiting to see which NFL team he goes to and then look at the schedule to see when Sam would be able to attend.

badger
3/30/2010, 12:21 PM
I would be surprised if it isn't already being made.

My guess is that they are waiting to see which NFL team he goes to and then look at the schedule to see when Sam would be able to attend.

:P sam should hold out through preseason so that he can just attend the statue ceremony without nfl worries

;) on a serious note, i hope he doesn't holdout and hope he goes to a team that I'll be able to catch games for.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/30/2010, 01:23 PM
There should be an AD statue! :mad:

eyeballjr
3/30/2010, 08:07 PM
Molly McGuire Statue!!!

JLEW1818
3/30/2010, 08:38 PM
I know Barry Tramel is putting together the Sooner fan anthology and I realized that he may complete it before Sam's statue is complete. Anyone know when Sam will be immortalized on campus?

whenever i get around to it

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2010, 08:55 PM
There should be an AD statue!

Not an Okie.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2010, 08:58 PM
Actually, let's erect statues of people who did real important things for Oklahomans. Football? Meh. Just a sport.

I will now duck for cover.

tommieharris91
3/30/2010, 09:00 PM
Not an Okie.

More like not a Heisman winner. Billy Sims' statue is there.

Badger, I'm all for putting statues of Courtney Paris, Blake Griffin and Wayman Tisdale around LNC.

bluedogok
3/31/2010, 08:02 PM
Actually, let's erect statues of people who did real important things for Oklahomans. Football? Meh. Just a sport.

I will now duck for cover.
Why would they put them in Heisman Park? They already exist although the closest ones are in OKC at the capitol, the heritage center, Cowboy Hall of Fame, etc.