PDA

View Full Version : E-mail question

JohnnyMack
3/29/2010, 10:58 AM
Say I've got an e-mail on computer at home (in Outlook). I read it, but don't respond to it, so it is in my inbox. I leave, go to <insert random food destination here> and while I'm stuffing my face at lunch I check my e-mail on my iphone and see that same e-mail. Then I reply to it. I'm done with it and never need to see it again. How do I get my Outlook or whatever to eliminate it from my home computer? Just tell the iphone to delete it from the server? Then when I get home later and open Outlook how do I get that e-mail that was in my inbox to not be there anymore?

Discuss.

yermom
3/29/2010, 11:06 AM
i wouldn't know. i don't delete email :D

is this an Exchange account, IMAP, what?

JohnnyMack
3/29/2010, 11:12 AM
It's a POP3. We access it through teh innernets. We don't actually have a server here at the office.

olevetonahill
3/29/2010, 11:24 AM
If I wanted it gone, I would pull my 357 on it and order it the hell OUT .:cool:

yermom
3/29/2010, 11:27 AM
It's a POP3. We access it through teh innernets. We don't actually have a server here at the office.

POP3 is teh sux

once it's in Outlook, you have to delete it in Outlook since it copies it from the server

with IMAP or Exchange the mail sits on the server and the client syncs with it

JohnnyMack
3/29/2010, 11:28 AM
If I wanted it gone, I would pull my 357 on it and order it the hell OUT .:cool:

OleVet Computer Repair
http://www.rrv.net/variety/shootmypc2.jpeg

BillyBall
3/29/2010, 11:28 AM
You need to have it override your Outlook as a rule, not sure how to do this with an iphone.

I had the same problem with my blackberry and my hotmail account and got it fixed.

olevetonahill
3/29/2010, 11:43 AM
OleVet Computer Repair
http://www.rrv.net/variety/shootmypc2.jpeg

:D :D :D :D :D :D

49r
3/30/2010, 11:14 AM
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011507931033.aspx

When you retrieve e-mail messages from a POP3 e-mail account, the messages are deleted from the e-mail server by default after they are downloaded to your computer. For many people, this works great.

However, if you want to check your e-mail from multiple computers, you must configure Outlook to not delete the messages on your e-mail server. This scenario is most common for people who want to check their home Internet service provider (ISP) e-mail account from work and download the messages for permanent storage on their home computer.

When you leave messages on your e-mail server, you can choose from several options to delete your messages. To make your choice, you need to consider several factors about your e-mail usage, such as how long you want the messages to be accessible from multiple computers and the storage limits imposed by your e-mail server administrator. If you exceed your storage limit, you might be unable to receive new messages or might be charged additional fees. Typically, it is best to have one computer set to the default setting that doesn't leave e-mail messages on the e-mail server. When you use the computer to retrieve your e-mail messages, they are downloaded and deleted from the e-mail server. If you choose not to do this, Outlook allows you to select a time duration for leaving e-mail messages on the server.

Mac Mail (and by extension the iPhone) is configured to leave a copy of your mail messages on a POP3 server by default, Outlook is not.

The reason for doing it this way is so that your POP3 email account behaves more like IMAP or Exchange, which is important when you are accessing your email from several devices.

yermom
3/30/2010, 11:17 AM
that still doesn't remove the downloaded message from the Outlook client after deleting it on the iPhone ;)

49r
3/30/2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah, that's why POP3 sucks.

I suggest converting to gmail or something. You can configure THAT for IMAP.

yermom
3/30/2010, 11:31 AM
when i worked for OU we'd often get calls from people still trying to use the IMAP server as a POP3 server, but leave all the mail on the server. since the "read" information is on the client, they would try checking their mail somewhere else, or reinstall the mail client and then complain when there were 30,000 messages to download

there was one prof that would continuously complain about it, even though it was totally his fault and he refused to fix it

Veritas
3/30/2010, 11:43 AM
when i worked for OU we'd often get calls from people still trying to use the IMAP server as a POP3 server, but leave all the mail on the server. since the "read" information is on the client, they would try checking their mail somewhere else, or reinstall the mail client and then complain when there were 30,000 messages to download

there was one prof that would continuously complain about it, even though it was totally his fault and he refused to fix it
Ugh. Tech support == death from 1,000,000 paper cuts

yermom
3/30/2010, 12:08 PM
the absolute worst was dial-up

before everyone had cell phones and cable modems, and you had to tie up your phone line to get on the internet

troubleshooting without being able to try to connect was an art form :D