PDA

View Full Version : Guitargasm

Lott's Bandana
3/28/2010, 12:24 PM
Bonamassa is not human.

He killed it in the Civic Center for 2 hours...I had to smoke a ciggy afterwards.

:)

Leroy Lizard
3/28/2010, 12:40 PM
Best I ever heard in person was probably Adrian Belew.

Here he explains how he gets his wild sounds from his guitar. If you play electric guitar and are looking for something unusual, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWkG576QnO4&feature=related

C&CDean
3/29/2010, 08:53 AM
Joe Bonamassa is the ****. Absolutely amazing guitarist. We were going to go to the show, but something came up and we didn't get tickets.

Somewhere on the innerwebs is some stuff with him playing at a very young age. Guess his dad played, and by the time Joe was like 7 or something he was better than his pop. I'm pissed I didn't get to go.

Sooner04
3/29/2010, 08:58 AM
When I opened this thread I expected to find this:

fx0PT-_TWfY

GKeeper316
3/29/2010, 10:18 AM
srv > bonamassa

not that joe aint good, just srv was the best white guy that ever played blues guitar imo.

C&CDean
3/29/2010, 10:57 AM
You're entitled to your opinion, and I think SRV was great. However, you need to go see Joe live. Completely different style than SRV, and much more technical. And there's several white blues guitarists who are = or better than pretty much any black dude you can name. Off the top of my head, Walter Trout and Albert Cummings.

Lott's Bandana
3/29/2010, 02:27 PM
Joe Bonamassa is the ****. Absolutely amazing guitarist. We were going to go to the show, but something came up and we didn't get tickets.

Somewhere on the innerwebs is some stuff with him playing at a very young age. Guess his dad played, and by the time Joe was like 7 or something he was better than his pop. I'm pissed I didn't get to go.

This was my second opportunity to see Joe...he got even better in two years. Your comment in your second post Dean is dead-right...the guy live is just freakish...he played for two hours and didn't take a break, and the best part for me about Bonamassa:

His songs are all different. Unlike a lot of blues artists, he mixes Rock and Western influences into his music (reverse engineering?), even some spanish acoustic. His morph of ZZ Top's "Just Got Paid" with "Dazed and Confused" was genius.

WLB900atJFs

C&CDean
3/29/2010, 03:54 PM
"Genius" is a great description. There's great guitar players, and then there's guitar geniuses. Bonamassa, Satriani, Malmsteen and maybe a couple more would be the latter. The only difference is Satriani and Malmsteen just try to rip your head from your shoulders. Joe can play pretty much any style, and play it beyond anything most folks have seen.

ndpruitt03
3/29/2010, 03:55 PM
He's an awesome guitarist. Definitely one of my favorites that's still going.

GKeeper316
3/29/2010, 11:17 PM
not a blues guy, but if you like really really good guitar, check out elliot smith sometime. sorry you'll never catch him live. stabbed himself in the heart with a steak knife a few years ago. tragic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMSU4QDbdew&feature=related

Howzit
3/30/2010, 08:16 AM
"Genius" is a great description. There's great guitar players, and then there's guitar geniuses. Bonamassa, Satriani, Malmsteen and maybe a couple more would be the latter. The only difference is Satriani and Malmsteen just try to rip your head from your shoulders. Joe can play pretty much any style, and play it beyond anything most folks have seen.

And Esteban. Don't forget the genius that is Esteban.

Crucifax Autumn
3/30/2010, 07:28 PM
Uli Jon Roth, Frank Zappa, John Petrucci, Greg Howe, Steve Howe, Steve Vai, Tony MacAlpine, Michael Angelo, Kai Hansen, Sean Baker, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Alex Skolnick, Ron Jarzombek, etc.

Just a few that haven't been mentioned.

C&CDean
3/31/2010, 09:02 AM
And Esteban. Don't forget the genius that is Esteban.

Esteban rocks my world. I'm trying to figure out what he is though. Kinda like a cross between Johnny Cash, Jose Feliciano, and Cher.

Leroy Lizard
3/31/2010, 11:09 AM
Cher? You just killed it.

StoopTroup
3/31/2010, 06:46 PM
I heard that Dweezil Zappa is getting a Dwvorce. :D

Crucifax Autumn
3/31/2010, 07:43 PM
Apparently she got rather upset when she found out his guitar wanted to kill her mama.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/1/2010, 09:10 AM
Bonamassa is great. Another of my favorites is Eric Johnson. The first time I saw him, if I closed my eyes I would swear there were two guys playing guitar but it was just him.

Crucifax Autumn
4/1/2010, 05:21 PM
Johnson is awesome.