PDA

View Full Version : TN loses another player

Leroy Lizard
3/27/2010, 01:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5028848

"Aaron Douglas, Tennessee's most talented and experienced offensive lineman, asked for his release Thursday and plans to leave the program. "

Unhappiness: a state characterized by emotions ranging from mild discontentment to deep grief. See http://www.volnation.com/.

gunsalus
3/27/2010, 02:20 PM
Any chance he heads our way?

badger
3/27/2010, 03:00 PM
at least they have basketball still

ndpruitt03
3/27/2010, 03:31 PM
I still don't get why they hired Derek Dooley. He has a losing record at Louisiana Tech.

Tigeman
3/27/2010, 03:32 PM
Any chance he heads our way?

Wouldn't that be ironic after all these years of them raiding our state, if he would end up here! LOL

oumartin
3/27/2010, 06:14 PM
I've always liked Tennessee and I am sad they are going through such hard times to be honest. They have a pretty rich tradition and a wonderful setting for football. Hard to imagine they couldn't get someone like Chris Peterson outta Boise if they wanted to bad enough

gaylordfan1
3/27/2010, 06:17 PM
Tell him to come our way.... also let him know that he will also be required to fill in at TE at times bc of our rotation rules.

bluedogok
3/27/2010, 08:00 PM
I've always liked Tennessee and I am sad they are going through such hard times to be honest. They have a pretty rich tradition and a wonderful setting for football. Hard to imagine they couldn't get someone like Chris Peterson outta Boise if they wanted to bad enough
Why would Peterson want to leave Boise to go to Tennessee?
He has a pretty sweet thing going there without dealing with SEC opponents and an over the top rabid fan base with expectations beyond their normal place in the conference.

oumartin
3/27/2010, 08:01 PM
if he is that great of a coach why not go there are prove your worth. No matter how much he wins at BSU they will always have that stigma

Rogue
3/27/2010, 08:01 PM
Prolly not.

Dooley said he would not release Douglas to any team on Tennessee's schedule.

Leroy Lizard
3/27/2010, 08:02 PM
if he is that great of a coach why not go there are prove your worth.

Not everyone is driven by the need to prove themselves better than others.

agoo758
3/27/2010, 09:33 PM
if he is that great of a coach why not go there are prove your worth. No matter how much he wins at BSU they will always have that stigma

So what? Maybe he doesnt care what people think. He knows where he is as a coach and where he needs to be to stay happy. I dont blame him for staying in a position where he has been very successful and has a good solid base to back him up than to take a chance at another school, risk failing and having a hard time getting a job somewhere else.

oumartin
3/27/2010, 09:50 PM
He'll never go down as one of the greatest then. Even if he is. He'll never be talked about after he retires. He will be forgotten. Now, if he went on and made a mark at a traditional school he would be remembered. Oh well

Curly Bill
3/27/2010, 09:53 PM
I see both sides of it. Yeah if you want to go down as one of the all-time greats you probably need to accomplish great things at a big-time school. On the other hand, if he's happy where he's at, and he's obviously being successful, there's something to be said for that too.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/27/2010, 10:19 PM
He'll never go down as one of the greatest then. Even if he is. He'll never be talked about after he retires. He will be forgotten. Now, if he went on and made a mark at a traditional school he would be remembered. Oh well

like bobby bowden? florida state was waaaaayyy worse than boise state when he took over. heck miami was nothing until smelly.

oumartin
3/27/2010, 10:23 PM
Boise will never be mentioned in the same breathe as FSU. try again.

yes, i know where FSU was but still. Doak Walker and others played there.

bluedogok
3/27/2010, 10:45 PM
Ask Hawkins, Franchione, Price, etc. how that went. If he really wanted to move to a top level program I think we would have heard about him going after a few of the jobs that have opened up in the past few years. I don't think the "top program" thing has the attraction and prestige that it used to have and certainly not all coaches, not everyone is a Saban. Miami is the prime example, they were about to kill football before Smellsofbourbon, JJ and Erickson went on that run.

If he eventually wins a NC at Boise, he would be considered amongst the top coaches. They may get a chance one of these years, granted everything would have to fall right but it could happen.

oumartin
3/27/2010, 10:58 PM
never gonna happen, they have had two undefeated years and havent' won it. NEVER.

rainiersooner
3/27/2010, 11:14 PM
I admire a man who at some point decides that he is happy making good money, winning football games, inventing a program, and changing young adult's lives for the better. The Sabans of the world hear voices and can't sleep at night. The marginal extra money they make does not make up for the fact that I'm sure their kids don't know them. Props to Peterson. BTW, this attitude is the same thing I admire about Stoops and is why he's still here and is not bolting for the NFL.

Leroy Lizard
3/28/2010, 12:37 AM

Isn't pride one of the seven deadly sins?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/28/2010, 09:26 AM
if boise state went independent in football like fsu was, there would be a chance. it would be a gamble, but if they ran roughshod through a tough schedule, who knows.

bluedogok
3/28/2010, 09:33 AM
never gonna happen, they have had two undefeated years and havent' won it. NEVER.
Like I stated, everything would have to fall right, it would have to be a season similar to the 2007 season when everyone was losing at the end. It won't be easy for them but I could see it possibly happening.

Jacie
3/28/2010, 10:41 AM
if boise state went independent . . . it would be a gamble, but if they ran roughshod through a tough schedule, who knows.

An intriguing, if impractical idea, BSU going independent.

Have you looked at the teams they play? They manage to schedule one Pac 10 team, one Mountain West, one from either Conf. USA or the Mid-America Conf., and a Division II patsy in addition to their 7 WAC foes.

They really blow the trumpets for that Pac 10 game, not so much the others. Yeah, they beat Oregon last year in the game that was marred at the end when that Duck player clocked their guy who was taunting him. And we won't forget a certain Fiesta Bowl but then one could argue that beating Oklahoma in a bowl game isn't the big deal it used to be if you wanted to be mean . . .

There are three independents playing at the Division I level, Army, Navy and Notre Dame. BSU's schedule ranks somewhere between Army's and Navy's in terms of SOS. Would anyone pay attention to them if they played teams on par with Navy's and lost 2, 3 or 4 (Navy went 10-4 last year) games? They couldn't even schedule the toughies that Navy sees most years (Notre Dame, Pitt, Rutgers, Wake Forest, even Ohio St.). Very few FBS schools are willing to travel to Boise, even if the payout were on par with say traveling to Norman, Austin, South Bend, etc.

BSU has found the equivalent of a scheduling loop hole that lets them back into the BCS without having to go against BCS quality teams more than once a season (and I am being generous here). They would be a footnote as an independent.

PrideTrombone
3/28/2010, 11:18 AM
Boise will never be mentioned in the same breathe as FSU. try again.

yes, i know where FSU was but still. Doak Walker and others played there.

Doak Walker played at SMU.

ndpruitt03
3/28/2010, 08:35 PM
Florida State was probably still a womens college with Doak Walker was at SMU

goingoneight
3/29/2010, 08:32 AM
Bill Snyder is walking into a career death trap. What makes him think he can win and make Kansas-friggin-STATE a relevant football program?

Jello Biafra
3/29/2010, 09:13 AM
Not everyone is driven by the need to prove themselves better than others.

says the man whos never coached...trust me, at some level, we all have a need to prove ourselves to the big boys...

us little league coaches always wonder if we could make it at the middle school level...

middle school wonders if they could make it at the high school level....so forth and so on.

RedstickSooner
3/29/2010, 10:13 AM

Back in the glory days when LSU sucked, and I therefore went to a ton of LSU home games, Tennessee fans were the lamest ones to ever show up at Tiger stadium. They never smiled, just milled about in their orange shirts, looking grim during the pre-game festivities. Once the game started, they became pop-pom Stepford fans, standing en masse and waving their gay orange pom-pom things in unison.

They were, to me, the exact opposite of what college football is supposed to be (fun).

But, you may well have your own reasons for liking 'em, and it isn't like, say, the Pokes, or USC, where I'd have to, y'know, hate you for it :)

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2010, 10:44 AM

Every program must start somewhere.

OU's prestige really did not start until Jack Tatum left, we got fortunate to retain one of his assistants, Bud Wilkinson.

It really was not until Wilkinson took over when OU became what we are today.

Sure we had Bennie Owen from 1905-1920 (something), but we fell off again once he retired.

The way you are thinking seems kinda weird to me.

Boise State has not even been a FBS team for all that long to be honest....Hell they have not really been a four year school for that long in reality.

In 1933 the school started as a JUCO. 1968 they moved to a Four Year School and were D-II. In 1978 they moved to D-1AA (FCS). And in 1996 they moved to D-1A (FBS).

So just because they are a mid major now does not mean in the future they will not be significant in this division of college football.

texaspokieokie
3/29/2010, 02:59 PM
Tatum's name was "Jim".

Jack Tatum was a db for ohio state.
& oakland,i think.

Jello Biafra
3/29/2010, 03:07 PM
Tatum's name was "Jim".

Jack Tatum was a db for ohio state.
& oakland,i think.

they were brothers i think ;)

texaspokieokie
3/29/2010, 03:16 PM
or maybe sisters

ndpruitt03
3/29/2010, 03:41 PM
Every program must start somewhere.

OU's prestige really did not start until Jack Tatum left, we got fortunate to retain one of his assistants, Bud Wilkinson.

It really was not until Wilkinson took over when OU became what we are today.

Sure we had Bennie Owen from 1905-1920 (something), but we fell off again once he retired.

The way you are thinking seems kinda weird to me.

Boise State has not even been a FBS team for all that long to be honest....Hell they have not really been a four year school for that long in reality.

In 1933 the school started as a JUCO. 1968 they moved to a Four Year School and were D-II. In 1978 they moved to D-1AA (FCS). And in 1996 they moved to D-1A (FBS).

So just because they are a mid major now does not mean in the future they will not be significant in this division of college football.

We were really good with Tom Stidham. Went to our first bowl game in 1938 and he won 80% of his games. Dewey Lester still won 60% of his games but that wasn't good enough for OU so they fired him and hired Jim Tatum.

No other university has had 4 coaches with 100+ wins. USC was the only one that would have done it had Carroll stayed. Now it won't happen anytime within the next decade or so at the earliest. By that time Josh Heupel might be halfway to 100 wins.

You can take away what Bennie did, or what Bud did, or what Barry did or even what Bob is doing now. OU still have one of the strongest histories in college football history.

SoonerAtKU
3/29/2010, 03:58 PM
I always heard that Petersen's kid had health problems, and that's why he hasn't looked to move anywhere.