PDA

View Full Version : Madu

Leroy Lizard
3/27/2010, 01:40 PM
Didn't see this posted.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/11376/crowded-sooner-backfield-adds-madu

gaylordfan1
3/27/2010, 06:15 PM
Man, I can't express how much I like Madu.... But I still think Calhoun will over shadow him. I SO hope Madu enters the season with a chip on his shoulder and dominated the line of scrimmage.

okienole3
3/28/2010, 07:48 PM
Man, I can't express how much I like Madu.... But I still think Calhoun will over shadow him. I SO hope Madu enters the season with a chip on his shoulder and dominated the line of scrimmage.

Madu showed more two years ago than Calhoun did last year. I think Calhoun has been passed by Miller.

oudavid1
3/28/2010, 09:51 PM
I think Calhoun has been passed by Miller.

Whats the story on Miller, is he good to go for fall?

rawlingsHOH
3/28/2010, 09:56 PM
Look for Miller to redshirt.

I see the 2010 backfield shaping up as.... Murray the bell cow, if he can stay healthy. Calhoun doing a lot of between the tackles banging. Madu catching some balls, and outside stuff. Pretty formidable trio if they can sty healthy.

oudavid1
3/28/2010, 10:19 PM
Look for Miller to redshirt.

Why should he red shirt?

PLaw
3/28/2010, 10:30 PM
Madu showed more two years ago than Calhoun did last year. I think Calhoun has been passed by Miller.

Agree. I expected Calhoun to be the second coming of AD, but he certainly hasn't shown that he will attain that standard. Miller was very exciting before the injury and I hope he has a great rehab. Really made me think about Eric Dickerson when I saw him run.

I was hoping Madu would explode at receiver, but that didn't happen. I certainly like having him back at RB with his experience and considering that DM is fairly fragile. Let's hope DM stays healthy and that he and Madu lead OU back to the BCS.

BOOMER

unbiasedtruth
3/28/2010, 10:50 PM
give his repaired knee another year to heal, not just 9 months or so.....

gaylordfan1
3/28/2010, 11:05 PM
I think you guys will be wrong about Calhoun. I bet he will be pretty darn good.

oudavid1
3/29/2010, 07:57 AM
I think you guys will be wrong about Calhoun. I bet he will be pretty darn good.

Lets hope so

gaylordfan1
3/29/2010, 08:29 AM
Lets hope so

Well, we will have a better idea once we get to the spring game. I think him and Madu will get most of the carries during the game bc Murray is already established. So, we will see.

BillyBall
3/29/2010, 09:35 AM
Madu will be playing center by week 3.

KantoSooner
3/29/2010, 10:07 AM
Man! you guys are a tough crowd! Calhoun was a freshman behind a patchwork line with a suspect passing game to (not) keep defenses honest. I look forward to great things from him. Maybe not AD quality, but then we've had that maybe three times in my life and only one of those actually panned out to produce the way AD did. (I'm rating Billy Sims, Demond Parker and Marcus Dupree as 'AD Quality' just to allow for those so inclined to wale on me.)

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2010, 10:17 AM
Freshmen Brennan Clay and Roy Finch could redshirt, but they won't arrive at fall camp with plans to sit out their first season.

Like they have any real say if they will red shirt or not.

Sure the coaches will bring it to them if they are going to be red shirted...but it is ultimately the coach that decides that, not the players.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/29/2010, 10:22 AM
I have never understood the fascination with Madu...not saying anything bad about him, but everything I have seen from him makes me think he is just an OK player

RedstickSooner
3/29/2010, 10:38 AM
I have never understood the fascination with Madu...not saying anything bad about him, but everything I have seen from him makes me think he is just an OK player

I think everyone on the team is an OK player.

Yes, cheesy, I know.

Sorry :D

soonerfan28
3/29/2010, 10:45 AM
I think it's his attitude. He seems to understand the team not me concept. I think Calhoun will prove doubters wrong. I don't think he was ever the second coming of AD but he was very talented coming out of HS. Bob has always proven that he'll play the best players but he has always allowed guys who were starters to come back and play. Meaning that Murray had already proven himself before getting injured so even now Murray will have 1st shot at starting over Calhoun. I'm not knocking how Bob does things but look at AD his freshman year. Kejuan Jones was the starter at the start of the season but it was very clear that AD was the best RB we had.

...sooner
3/29/2010, 10:50 AM

he has shown sparks of GREAT things IMO & hes such a good guy & i think people just want him to have the best. Kids like him could probably transfer & start somewhere else ex: Tashard Choice but he stays here in norman in his hometown & hes not a big baby like some kids we have seen ex: TMG

rawlingsHOH
3/29/2010, 11:17 AM
I think it's his attitude. He seems to understand the team not me concept. I think Calhoun will prove doubters wrong. I don't think he was ever the second coming of AD but he was very talented coming out of HS. Bob has always proven that he'll play the best players but he has always allowed guys who were starters to come back and play. Meaning that Murray had already proven himself before getting injured so even now Murray will have 1st shot at starting over Calhoun. I'm not knocking how Bob does things but look at AD his freshman year. Kejuan Jones was the starter at the start of the season but it was very clear that AD was the best RB we had.
Kejuan "started" the first 3 games, I think. Once conference season started it was AD.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/29/2010, 11:53 AM
I myself haven't seen the sparks of great things...Marginal players can make big plays at times, but that doesn't mean they are that good..

I don't dislike him in anyway..And I hope he is a lot better than what I think

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/29/2010, 12:15 PM

honestly, it isn't so much his level of talent as his running style. with our offensive line in its current state, we need a runinng back where we can isolate a linebacker on him and he can make him miss. i wouldn't be surprised if one of the freshmen (who are both that style of runner) get a long look in the fall.

edit: this is also why last year i was such an anti-move to WR advocate. brown/murray were the perfect compliment behind a stout OL, but with a weak OL not so much.

Jello Biafra
3/29/2010, 12:32 PM
Man! you guys are a tough crowd! Calhoun was a freshman behind a patchwork line with a suspect passing game to (not) keep defenses honest. I look forward to great things from him. Maybe not AD quality, but then we've had that maybe three times in my life and only one of those actually panned out to produce the way AD did. (I'm rating Billy Sims, Demond Parker and Marcus Dupree as 'AD Quality' just to allow for those so inclined to wale on me.)

maybe its just me but i "get that feeling" with calhoun. he is a brusier when he needs to be, he outruns when he needs to and he jukes when he needs to...relax....things will get back to normal this year.

we were bad at the line last year. no other way to put it nicely. you start pounding the rock and loosen up for the passing game which will inturn loosen up the running game..

KantoSooner
3/29/2010, 01:25 PM
Once again, Mr. Biafra, we are in agreement. Gimme just a little better line and we win a couple more last year....and I'm hopeful that the line will be much better.
Then if the receivers start catching a few more....we could have a good year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/29/2010, 02:22 PM
our OL has gone through a pattern twice over the stoops tenure

Good OL -> bad OL -> good pass blocking, bad run blocking -> good pass blocking, decent run blocking -> Good OL

guess which phase we should be in this fall? so you have to do things to allow the OL to outnumber the defense at the point of attack. you can do this in several ways -> forcing the defense to give more space at the LOS, attacking from the outside in, leaving tacklers uncovered and make them miss, etc.

last year, we were an okay offensive team between the 20s. where we bogged down was getting those long red zone attempts where we neither had the passing game nor hte running game to finish. that is why we scored so much outside of the red zone because our running game was still in play from the 40 so they could catch broyles in space to take it to the house.

what we need this year is a running game that is a credible threat from the opponents 30/20 that can get us inside the 10 by either pass or run. then it becomes OL "i'm a man" time and we should be able to do that this year.

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2010, 09:36 AM
So JKM thinks we will have a bad OL?

IMHO last year's OL was probably the worst under Stoops...and that is not because of talent, it was because of injuries.

This year, we should have a fairly good OLine, as long as they can stay healthy.

Jello Biafra
3/30/2010, 10:03 AM

IMHO last year's OL was probably the worst under Stoops...and that is not because of talent, it was because of injuries.

This year, we should have a fairly good OLine, as long as they can stay healthy.

injuries and youth...this year, neither should be an issue.

rawlingsHOH
3/30/2010, 10:11 AM
I think 01 was probably the worst. Though 09's penalties probably make the gap very narrow. 05 a close third.

gaylordfan1
3/30/2010, 10:15 AM
I think the coaches should just tell them to block.... It's that simple. :D I think Stoops told them that this spring and will remind them again in the fall. So, we should be fine.

Jello Biafra
3/30/2010, 10:18 AM
I think the coaches should just tell them to block.... It's that simple. :D I think Stoops told them that this spring and will remind them again in the fall. So, we should be fine.

with all the LL football i see, that is the single greatest shout from the sidelines i like...that means im kicking that teams azz...

"block someone!"

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/30/2010, 10:57 AM

you almost followed the logic, almost.

goingoneight
3/30/2010, 11:47 AM
I never understood why people thought run blocking was easier than pass-blocking. Unless you're a wishbone team who hits the hole extremely fast (which disguises fatigue and length of time your OL can hold their own)... you tell me what's easier... telling a big guy to get on his heels and don't let anyone past him or telling five guys a very specificly-designed lane they need to create. The proof is in the pudding. LJ WAS our offense last year. The ground game showed flashes at times, but in no way was it consistent enough to rely on.

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2010, 12:35 PM
I never understood why people thought run blocking was easier than pass-blocking. Unless you're a wishbone team who hits the hole extremely fast (which disguises fatigue and length of time your OL can hold their own)... you tell me what's easier... telling a big guy to get on his heels and don't let anyone past him or telling five guys a very specificly-designed lane they need to create. The proof is in the pudding. LJ WAS our offense last year. The ground game showed flashes at times, but in no way was it consistent enough to rely on.

The reason people think that, and as a former OLinemen myself, it is actually true.

Rush blocking you get to fire off and hit someone, usually it is the guy in front of you, be it DL or LB. Zone Rush blocking, everyone blocks the same direction.

Rush blocking is tougher, not tough, but tougher, because you have to allow the rusher to come to you. You cannot use your hands to grab anything or it is seen by the refs.

They are both not tough per say...but when you can fire off and tag someone that is in your way, instead of letting them come to you at full speed, it is just easier to block someone in the former than the latter.

Jello Biafra
3/30/2010, 12:48 PM
run blocking is easier because YOU make the difference and CAN decide where the defender goes..he goes left, you push him further left...he goes right, push him further right...he goes left and you are the offense is running left, you get in his grill and push him downfield as hard and as fast as you can. run blocking, to me, was cake....the pass blocking was my sticking point. i was decent but not good.

pass rush, like 75 said, you stand back and react. 9 times out of 10 you won't be fast enough to stop them, just slow them down enough to allow the qb to complete the pass.

rawlingsHOH
3/30/2010, 02:45 PM
The reason people think that, and as a former OLinemen myself, it is actually true.

Rush blocking you get to fire off and hit someone, usually it is the guy in front of you, be it DL or LB. Zone Rush blocking, everyone blocks the same direction.

Rush blocking is tougher, not tough, but tougher, because you have to allow the rusher to come to you. You cannot use your hands to grab anything or it is seen by the refs.

They are both not tough per say...but when you can fire off and tag someone that is in your way, instead of letting them come to you at full speed, it is just easier to block someone in the former than the latter.

The game certainly has changed! lol

rawlingsHOH
3/30/2010, 02:50 PM
run blocking is easier because YOU make the difference and CAN decide where the defender goes..he goes left, you push him further left...he goes right, push him further right...he goes left and you are the offense is running left, you get in his grill and push him downfield as hard and as fast as you can. run blocking, to me, was cake....the pass blocking was my sticking point. i was decent but not good.

pass rush, like 75 said, you stand back and react. 9 times out of 10 you won't be fast enough to stop them, just slow them down enough to allow the qb to complete the pass.

Kind of goes back to being a generational thing. In today's game, ESPECIALLY college, with so much spread, pass blocking is consider "easier". What may have been consider 'getting whipped' in the past, could be a success now. The passing game of the 70s and 80s, with all that 7-step drop, is a dinosaur. The ball is long gone by then now.

Also the emphasis of the zone running game requires more thinking now than it had in the past.

Jello Biafra
3/30/2010, 03:05 PM
Kind of goes back to being a generational thing. In today's game, ESPECIALLY college, with so much spread, pass blocking is consider "easier". What may have been consider 'getting whipped' in the past, could be a success now. The passing game of the 70s and 80s, with all that 7-step drop, is a dinosaur. The ball is long gone by then now.

Also the emphasis of the zone running game requires more thinking now than it had in the past.

agreed. to a point. when you are a 300lb LOT and run a 4.9 going up against a 240lb Dend with 4.5 speed, all you can really do is try to spread the formation out so far that the dend will have to take a minimum of 15 steps to get to the qb. if you can stay in front of him long enough, it is considered a sucess..if not, big losses are coming...on the runnin game, you KNOW where the play is going and you can cut him off at the pass...so to speak. if the back is running at the 3 hole, you step with your right, his the DE read and react step will also be to the right then you lock on to him and either ride him further towards the center or seal him and ride him out towards the 7 hole...really easy since you are TRYING to put a shoulder on him. shoulder into him eqauls closer and more space to hide hands(hint hint)

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2010, 03:06 PM
The game certainly has changed! lol

Well, you know what I mean.

Rush blocking unless you are a tackle or pulling and on the outside, you can usually get away with holding.

Pass blocking the refs are usually looking for it.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/31/2010, 10:49 AM
individual preferences aside, assuming your QB is average or above, it is much easier as a team to pass block than run block because there is a lot higher margin of error.

with the passing game, missing one key block doesn't necessarily cause the play to fail, because it is a layered defense -> QB depth, OL, running back, QB movement. with the running game, there are critical blocks that must be made or the play is dead in the water.

if you have a weak pass blocker you can tend to cover it up. what really kills you in pass protection is having weak defensive scheme recognition (like we had last year).

if you have a weak run blocker, it means that all of the plays that depend on them taking someone one on one have to be thrown out of the playbook. you then move to plays where the guy gets help. however, every extra blocker on one defender at the point of attack means more free defenders to keep the play from gaining extra yards on average.

Jello Biafra
3/31/2010, 11:42 AM
individual preferences aside, assuming your QB is average or above, it is much easier as a team to pass block than run block because there is a lot higher margin of error.

with the passing game, missing one key block doesn't necessarily cause the play to fail, because it is a layered defense -> QB depth, OL, running back, QB movement. with the running game, there are critical blocks that must be made or the play is dead in the water.

if you have a weak pass blocker you can tend to cover it up. what really kills you in pass protection is having weak defensive scheme recognition (like we had last year).

if you have a weak run blocker, it means that all of the plays that depend on them taking someone one on one have to be thrown out of the playbook. you then move to plays where the guy gets help. however, every extra blocker on one defender at the point of attack means more free defenders to keep the play from gaining extra yards on average.

i see what you are saying BUT most play books still include run blocking that will double at the point of attack...if nothing else, you will have the double turn into a secondary block downfield at the linebacker level...unless you are running the ninja, you can typically get a double team on either side of the hole just by running a lead back into the hole....

when we were really stomping mudholes in peoples assses, we were able to manhandle everyone on the line man to man and the uncovered were getting downfield and taking out linebackers as well..

i guess it's a toss up really. some lineman prefer run blocking some pass blocking. i happen to be a fan of "3 yards and a cloud of dust".

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/31/2010, 12:34 PM
i see what you are saying BUT most play books still include run blocking that will double at the point of attack...if nothing else, you will have the double turn into a secondary block downfield at the linebacker level...unless you are running the ninja, you can typically get a double team on either side of the hole just by running a lead back into the hole....

when we were really stomping mudholes in peoples assses, we were able to manhandle everyone on the line man to man and the uncovered were getting downfield and taking out linebackers as well..

i guess it's a toss up really. some lineman prefer run blocking some pass blocking. i happen to be a fan of "3 yards and a cloud of dust".

heh, i'd 100% prefer us to be a running team over a passing team because of the unspoken problem with the passing game -> you can do everything right and still have something bad happen (incomplete, int, catch w/ fumble).

however, not all running backs are created the same with regard to the college game. guys like peterson put tremendous pressure on the defense to beat their man and get into position to stop the breakout. since he was speed/power any win at the point of attack netted a loss on the run. now the odds of containing him once he got past the line of scrimmage decreased rapidly.

elusive guys put less pressure at the point of attack because there are less places at the point of attack that are a danger to the running back. however, without top end speed, the odds of him taking it to the house are a lot less.

NOVSooner
3/31/2010, 01:28 PM

here is a piece from the Jackson paper on dupree

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=22c0f74c7bd248eb99cb1bcb4cd00bb7&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a22c0f74c7bd248eb99cb1bcb4cd00bb7 Post%3a629540ae-ebd0-440d-8b5c-0f8299661d63&sid=sitelife.clarionledger.com

OK2U
3/31/2010, 01:55 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/03/30/ou-spring-practice-report-days-4-6/?custom_click=lead_story_title

OU spring practice report: Days 4-7
Posted by Jake Trotter
on March 30, 2010M at 8:49 pm

Oklahoma Sooner players and coaches met with reporters for the first time since Saturday’s intrasquad 90-play scrimmage, which was closed to the media and to the public.

Among the highlights:

Running back Jermie Calhoun rushed for 3 TDs. A pair of 1-yarders and a 20-yard scamper.

“I think I dragged one of our players a couple times,” Calhoun said. “It was a good day for me.”

Calhoun’s teammates and coaches were impressed with the sophomore running back’s performance.

Said QB Landry Jones: “We ran the ball really well. Jermie and Mossis Madu really ran the ball well.”

Said tight end Trent Ratterree: “Jermie is running really physical.”

Said offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson: “Nice to see Jermie run with power, good pad level. He had some nice runs.”

* Tight end James Hanna and WR Jaz Reynolds both added big plays. Hanna took a quick out route, broke a tackle, and raced about 65 yards for a TD. With one hand, Reynolds caught a tipped pass for a long TD reception.

* OU’s two trouble spots last season, WR and OL, had nice scrimmages. The Sooners dropped 3 of the first 4 passes from the scrimmage, but caught everything in sight after that. The line, meanwhile, more than held its own against OU’s defensive front, as the offense was able to grind out rushing yards throughout the day.

“The line did pretty good,” coach Bob Stoops said. “They’re doing a good job. Competing hard.”

Other notes from Tuesday’s practice:
* Slot receiver Ryan Broyles has been dealing with a slight hamstring pull, which kept him out of the scrimmage. He practiced some Tuesday.

* Wilson admitted he’s toying with the idea of playing 6-foot-5 wideout Dejuan Miller in the flex some, similar to what OU did with Jermaine Gresham two years ago. That season, Gresham was deadly in the red zone thanks to his combination of size and speed. Wilson envisions Miller also creating matchup problems. But first, Wilson has to figure out this spring if Miller can handle the scheme, blocking and technique differences of playing inside.

* Running back DeMarco Murray, who is not taking part in live drills during the spring, has been trying out yoga to help improve his flexibility and and maybe help keep him from tearing or straining muscles. He said the idea came from his dad.

“I’m not very flexible,” he said. “It’s to get me stretched out, keep my hamstring and things loose and not tight. And I’ve heard it helps prevent a lot of injuries, especially from running backs.”

Murray said he’s making gains this off-season unlike the last two, when he’s been coming off serious injuries. As a freshman, he dislocated a kneecap. As a sophomore, tore his quad. While he dealt with a sprained ankle last year, Murray said he’s healthy and looking forward to increasing his speed and strength during the next four months.

“I’m feeling good,” he said. “I think that’s really going to help me.”

* True freshman Kenny Stills continues to make noise this spring, and could join the WR rotation as early as this fall.

“He’s showing some flash and some savviness,” Wilson said.

Stills is currently working at wideout, but could over time eventually play some in the slot.

* Ratterree continues to be the frontrunner in the 3-headed tight end competition. Hanna has the most athleticism and big-play ability, exemplified by his TD catch in the scrimmage.

6-foot-7, 265-pound Lane Johnson is the biggest of the three tight ends. But the converted QB is still learning the position and could be a year away from significantly contributing.

“For Lane, it’s coming in short glitches,” Wilson said.

That leaves Ratterree, who remains the most consistent TE on the roster.

* Center Ben Habern returned to practice this week. Habern is coming off a broken fibula. For now, Brian Lepak will man the starting role at center, backed up by freshman Gabe Ikard. Look for Habern to resume his spot atop the depth chart as he works back into form.

* The starting secondary continues to be Demontre Hurst and Jamell Fleming at CB, and Quinton Carter and Jonathan Nelson at safety.

* Boise State coach Chris Petersen visited Tuesday’s practice. Former South Florida coach Jim Leavitt has also been in Norman. Leavitt and Stoops go back to their days as co-defensive coordinators at Kansas State under Bill Snyder in the 1990s.

-JT

Jello Biafra
3/31/2010, 02:05 PM
here is a piece from the Jackson paper on dupree

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=22c0f74c7bd248eb99cb1bcb4cd00bb7&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a22c0f74c7bd248eb99cb1bcb4cd00bb7 Post%3a629540ae-ebd0-440d-8b5c-0f8299661d63&sid=sitelife.clarionledger.com

man, what could have been...seems like he is a lot like boz right now. a bunch of regrets. i will definately watch to see WHY he left... we would have won a couple of nc if he would have stayed.