PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mountain Oysters

Leroy Lizard
3/27/2010, 01:26 PM
Food?

Or not food?

delhalew
3/27/2010, 01:31 PM
You know, I really will try anything. Beef tongue...brains of whatever, but unless somebody dares me, that is not high on my list.

Leroy Lizard
3/27/2010, 01:33 PM
I dare you

delhalew
3/27/2010, 01:38 PM
I dare you

Well, ****! There we go.:D

Have you eaten them?

Leroy Lizard
3/27/2010, 01:49 PM
Yes. All real men do.

Oh, ho!!! And awaaaaaaay we go!

Chuck Bao
3/27/2010, 02:01 PM
My grandma would sometimes fry up a mess in the spring when we did our spring cattle roundup for vaccinations, spraying and turning the little bull calves into steer calves. That was sort of a big deal and I think it was only because it was a once a year thing.

Most times, though, my granddad would grab a week-old calf and take out his pocket knife. My job was to put my foot on one hind leg and try to hold the other leg up in the air. I had to look away. Anyway, I was mostly watching the mother cow which was snorting and pawing the ground a few feet away. My granddad was impervious to these sorts of things, like killing a skunk with a rock or grabbing a wasp nest with his hands.

If it isn't home grown mountain oysters, where do you buy them?

1890MilesToNorman
3/27/2010, 02:12 PM
Saw them on a menu in Colorado once, I had a steak instead.

delhalew
3/27/2010, 03:32 PM
Saw them on a menu in Colorado once, I had a steak instead.

This. I know a place or two in Colorado. Though I would guarantee you could find them in Texas and Oklahoma.

Boarder
3/27/2010, 03:50 PM
I have had countless people I know tell me they're awesome. And, I can see that, since very few deep fried items are not awesome. However, I have never understood why someone would eat that when there are other menu items available. If it was eat them or die, I could see it. But if there are choices of these, chicken fried steak, burger, or pretty much anything else I can't see wanting to purposely eat them.

thesnowbishop
3/27/2010, 06:06 PM
I love calf fries. My favorite come from Doug's Peach Orchard in Terrell, OK; they quarter them. Good, thinner slices can be found at Cattleman's and at Pete's Place at Krebs. Squirt with a little lemon and occasionally dip in cocktail sauce or a good homemade tarter sauce--makes me hungry.

sooner59
3/27/2010, 06:08 PM
I've had them several times. They aren't as bad as they sound. Pretty good if you have something good to dip them in. Just make sure they are breaded and cooked. :D

delhalew
3/27/2010, 06:09 PM
Leroy likes 'em medium rare.

Crucifax Autumn
3/27/2010, 06:33 PM
I love calf fries. My favorite come from Doug's Peach Orchard in Terrell, OK; they quarter them. Good, thinner slices can be found at Cattleman's and at Pete's Place at Krebs. Squirt with a little lemon and occasionally dip in cocktail sauce or a good homemade tarter sauce--makes me hungry.

Now see...Both of those make me want to really bust out the gross jokes.

Leroy Lizard
3/27/2010, 08:08 PM
You forgot to boldface the "makes me hungry" part.

Yes, I have eaten them many times. Fried well-done, of course.

Soonerfan88
3/27/2010, 10:55 PM
They are good and if I see them on a menu, I order just because it's rare to find them. Vet at home has a big fry every year & I always make sure I get back for that.

I think it was the VIP Club in Alva that serves turkey fries, or at least they did 20 years ago.

BudSooner
3/28/2010, 02:32 PM
Nope do not care for balls at all. No way, no how.

Leroy Lizard
3/28/2010, 03:11 PM
According to South Oval liberal logic, the fact that you don't like them means that you really do, and are therefore homophobic and, therefore, gay.

Or something like that. :D

Jello Biafra
3/28/2010, 03:31 PM
According to South Oval liberal logic, the fact that you don't like them means that you really do, and are therefore homophobic and, therefore, gay.

Or something like that. :D

i heard you liked them strung tightly across the bridge of your nose...

Leroy Lizard
3/28/2010, 03:50 PM
You fantasize a lot.

JLEW1818
3/28/2010, 04:03 PM
lamb fries where it at

olevetonahill
3/28/2010, 04:37 PM
lamb fries where it at

Dint much care for the last Lamb fries i had
Thinkin about buyin some Calf fries tho fer the next Ho-Down :D

Ardmore_Sooner
3/28/2010, 05:12 PM
Toby Keiths have them on the appetizer menu.

thesnowbishop
3/28/2010, 06:20 PM
Now see...Both of those make me want to really bust out the gross jokes.

I also like organ meat. Ummm.

unbiasedtruth
3/28/2010, 11:05 PM
my preference.... turkey, lamb, calf, and pork. American Legion club where I hunt and am a member do a nut fry each fall around the opening of pheasant or deer season....

good grub.... have 5 lbs of lamb in the freezer, ready to partially thawed, skinned, sliced, breaded and fried....

AlbqSooner
3/29/2010, 07:53 PM
In acutality, calf fries are just that. Rocky mountain oysters is the name for lamb fries. Rocky Mountains have lots of sheep, both domesticated and wild, but not that many cattle. Both are very good eating, but I prefer the calf fries just a touch over the lamb fries.

soonerloyal
3/30/2010, 05:16 AM
Turkey "fries"? They must be pretty small. Bigger than shrimp balls, though. :D

SanJoaquinSooner
3/30/2010, 08:40 AM
Here in the San Joaquin Valley, we had a testicle festival this weekend. I was unable to make it. In the video, they all look like Okies.

http://www.modbee.com/2010/03/30/1107480/video-29th-oakdale-testicle-festival.html

King Barry's Back
3/30/2010, 09:44 AM
Had plenty of calf fries, and lamb fries. I've had them at home, at an occassional smoked BBQ place, and in Krebs/McAlester. Both versions are very tasty. I've dipped them in ketchup, though cocktail sauce sounds like a good idea. (Something about the name "cocktail" makes me think that particular sauce was born to go with balls.)

On a cooking show once, I saw that a very fancy gourmet restaurant in Denver served full grown bull balls (true Rocky Mountain Oysters -- never heard that applied to sheep) sauteed in butter and white wine reduction.

I have no idea what it tasted like, but it looked fantastic. After searing the nuts, they were "medalliioned" for eating. Damn, I am now hungry. (Unfortunately, I don't think they serve much of that in Germany.)

Also there used to be one of those little NE Oklahoma towns -- like the one I am from! -- had an annual 'Calf Fry Festival." Seems for the locals it was always great fun to serve up a big heapin' helpin' to the newly crowned Calf Fry Queen, who was only informed as to what calf fries actually were while she was enthusiastically chowing down on them.

I'll see if I can find out more about that.

King Barry's Back
3/30/2010, 09:45 AM
Yep, Calf Fry Festival is still goin' on. It's in Vinita, just like I thought.

Event will be held in late August. Check your calendars!

BudSooner
3/30/2010, 07:11 PM
Jesus, y'all are a bunch of nut luving freaks...no thanks.

Though I love to eat some *****. :D

Boarder
3/30/2010, 09:12 PM
http://www.creativereview.co.uk/images/uploads/2009/03/bk_chicken-fries_hero.jpg

Chicken Fries

olevetonahill
3/30/2010, 09:24 PM
Jesus, y'all are a bunch of nut luving freaks...no thanks.

Though I love to eat some *****. :D

Pipe down before we have yers fried up and on the table :D

BudSooner
3/31/2010, 08:45 AM
http://www.creativereview.co.uk/images/uploads/2009/03/bk_chicken-fries_hero.jpg

Chicken FriesThanks dude, finally something I can understand.

"While your at it bring me a plate of chicken dicks.....and put some ketchup on it!" :D

You can make anything taste better with ketchup, 'cept nuts.

C&CDean
3/31/2010, 08:59 AM
Turkey "fries"? They must be pretty small. Bigger than shrimp balls, though. :D

City folk...

Turkeys (and rooster for that matter) have pretty substantial huevos. They're up in their gut. A turkey's nuts are damn near the size of a golf ball.

What I find interesting is the number of people who will eat liver - but won't eat calf fries. I know lots of brothers who will eat chitlins, but wouldn't touch a nut. Stupid if you ask me. Irrational at best.

I don't eat liver (or other guts including brains) because I was raised on that **** and now that I can afford to buy a steak or a burger or a roast or whatever I choose not to. If somebody else cooks the calf fries I'll eat the hell out of them though. What they remind me of a lot is fried alligator. If you've ever tasted alligator, you've pretty much tasted calf fries.

Harry Beanbag
3/31/2010, 11:29 AM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/8/82/YOU%27RE_GONNA_LOVE_MY_NUTS.jpg