PDA

View Full Version : Convenience Store Food

Leroy Lizard
3/27/2010, 01:22 PM
While on the subject of food, are there any convenience stores in your area that offer exceptionally good hot food, like BBQ?

My brother once lived near Asher and the local convenience store there served the best damn chicken strips I have ever tasted. (They probably still do.) I would show up on his doorstep and we would immediately go down and buy a couple of pounds and eat it all night. And watch the Grand Ole Opry.

Man, oh man!!

delhalew
3/27/2010, 01:25 PM
Convenience store food makes del want to cry...and then ****...like a garden hose.:(

Leroy Lizard
3/27/2010, 01:27 PM
You're just not tough.

delhalew
3/27/2010, 01:29 PM
You're just not tough.

Unfortunately, I practically live off that crap. To that end, I spend most of my time teetering on the edge of food poisoning.

Chuck Bao
3/27/2010, 01:38 PM
When I am home, I have to have deep fried chicken livers and gizzards from Oakland Grocery (just outside of Madill). It is not particularly good but there is no other way to get liver unless I fix it myself.

Does anyone remember KFC doing the chicken liver Thursdays? Now, that was good.

SicEmBaylor
3/27/2010, 01:40 PM
There used to be this station in Branson that made amazing hot dogs. They weren't Coney Islander (in Tulsa) good, but they were good.

OhU1
3/27/2010, 01:46 PM
7-11 dollar burritos! I'm a sucker for em (I'm not hard to please).

delhalew
3/27/2010, 01:47 PM
Not really on topic, but any construction site or industrial park is goldmine.
In texas, the best messican food. In miami, the best cuban food. Might even find some thai or vietnamese.

Leroy Lizard
3/27/2010, 01:50 PM
That looks on topic to me. Approved!

delhalew
3/27/2010, 01:51 PM
God bless the roach coach!

SanJoaquinSooner
3/27/2010, 01:51 PM
Keep telling yourself, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

1890MilesToNorman
3/27/2010, 02:14 PM
Beer, ain't nothing else in there for me.

VeeJay
3/27/2010, 03:04 PM
Man...you ain't lived 'til you've eaten a bellyfull of pickled pigs feet and pickled eggs. The kind that comes in that pink formaldehyde vinegar juice.

Wash it down with a six pack of 16 oz. Old Milwaukees.

Slim Jim / Snickers King Size bar chaser is all you need.

John Kochtoston
3/27/2010, 03:33 PM
Allsup's in West Texas/New Mexico has some gut-buster fried burritos that are amazing. Until the next day.

delhalew
3/27/2010, 04:23 PM
I almost forgot...on I10 in Rayne, Louisiana there is a place with the best boudin balls ever. A buck fifty a piece. MMMMMMM.

sooner59
3/27/2010, 06:00 PM
Snack Shack in Davis ain't bad. They have around 15 different things that they cook and its cheap. Soonerette in Davis used to be owned by a guy with a big smoker that was kept in the parking lot. He make good ribs, brisket, and beef jerkey. He also had about 5-10 other things he cooked. It has went downhill since he sold it to Middle Eastern/Indian guy (don't know the nationality).

soonerinkaty
3/27/2010, 06:03 PM
I've seen that convenience store in Asher before. I've also recieved many tickets in Asher as well...They prey on poor college kiddos.

yankee
3/27/2010, 06:30 PM
QT

oumartin
3/27/2010, 07:44 PM
pull into Asher and pick up your speeding ticket and chicken strips.

actually we have a place here in town called sweets that has those deep fried burritos. you grab a couple of those with Heinz taco sauce packets and you gotta hell of a meal.

Leroy Lizard
3/27/2010, 08:11 PM
Did you use the coupon on the back of the speeding ticket? A lot of people overlook it. I once did 85 in a 55 and got a free bucket of rocky mountain oysters (fried well-done, of course).

bluedogok
3/27/2010, 08:27 PM
Man...you ain't lived 'til you've eaten a bellyfull of pickled pigs feet and pickled eggs. The kind that comes in that pink formaldehyde vinegar juice.
At the 7-11's in Tokyo they have an assortment of items like octopus, squid, sushi triangles, etc. in a warm vat of water, much like the wienie rollers at the US locations.

No, I didn't try any of it nor have I ever had a convenience store hot dog.

lexsooner
3/27/2010, 08:32 PM
There's a small convenience store/gas station outside of Lexington in Midway, Kentucky, a small town. It has a line of people in it around lunch time each work day. They have a little room in the back in which there is one woman who works a grill and cooks burgers, really good burgers, with all the trimmings, for a couple of bucks. Another woman has a metal box with cash and takes your money. It was a hidden secret for a while, but I think it got out and now you see all sorts of people in line. Now that is really good convenience store food - not processed, but fresh.

SoonerInKCMO
3/27/2010, 08:38 PM
I lived within walking distance of two QTs in KCK and one other when I moved to OPKS; I ate most of my dinners and weekend meals from them. Their club sandwiches are good; the corn dogs were my favorite though.

Curly Bill
3/27/2010, 09:06 PM
Allsup's in West Texas/New Mexico has some gut-buster fried burritos that are amazing. Until the next day.

I'll vouch for ya here. I spent a coupla years out in the Texas Panhandle and the Allsups burritos are a win!

I didn't even have next day troubles. :D

Crucifax Autumn
3/27/2010, 09:14 PM
I'll vouch for ya here. I spent a coupla years out in the Texas Panhandle and the Allsups burritos are a win!

I didn't even have next day troubles. :D

That's because of your titanium colon.

Curly Bill
3/27/2010, 09:15 PM
That's because of your titanium colon.

Yup, goes well with my cast iron stomach.

...and that titanium stuff is slick, stuff goes flying right out of it. :eek:

Crucifax Autumn
3/27/2010, 09:17 PM
Specially when all lubed up with the green habanero sauce. :eek:

Curly Bill
3/27/2010, 09:18 PM
I always used whatever ol cheap taco sauce they threw in with it. Yummmmmm, good.

soonerinabilene
3/27/2010, 09:56 PM
allsups burritos at 3 in the morning when you are drunk are freakin awesome. allsups burritos at noon when you are sober and in a hurry and grab one as aquick lunchh will mess you up. they need those extra few hours under the heat lamp to kill the watersh*t germs. the best place is a stripes/town and country. they have a build your own burrito bar and a freh fruit bar.

BudSooner
3/27/2010, 09:57 PM
The store here in Locust has some bbq burritos(bbq beef in a tortilla)I swear is the devil it is soooooo good, the chicken ain't bad, neither are the chicken tenders though they pricey.

Jacie
3/27/2010, 11:59 PM
Those Tijuana Mama's aren't bad for packaged stick meat product.

And one of the convenience store chains up here is the only place still selling Hostess products, Cupcakes and Twinkies.

Leroy Lizard
3/28/2010, 12:45 AM
Specially when all lubed :eek:

Fixed

unbiasedtruth
3/28/2010, 11:37 PM
Inside a Conoco gas station / convenience store
Chef Point Cafe
Watauga, Texas

http://www.chefpointcafe.org/

sooner59
3/28/2010, 11:41 PM
Inside a Conoco gas station / convenience store
Chef Point Cafe
Watauga, Texas

http://www.chefpointcafe.org/

I remember seeing that place on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. That place wins.

Harry Beanbag
3/28/2010, 11:59 PM
http://www.donmiguel.com/images/burritos/bomb/the-bomb-healthy-burritos-beef-burrito-and-bean-burrito-frozen-food.jpg

BudSooner
3/29/2010, 05:56 AM
http://www.donmiguel.com/images/burritos/bomb/the-bomb-healthy-burritos-beef-burrito-and-bean-burrito-frozen-food.jpg

****, that'll clean your colon. :D

C&CDean
3/29/2010, 09:56 AM
I drive by that place in Asher every time I go to Ada to sell calves. I've stopped a few times and they do have good chicken strips.

My favorite though is the H&T Conoco right on Highway 39 by the prison east of Lex. They've got a full breakfast (eggs/omelettes/etc.) and they do everything from pizza to steak sandwiches. Their burgers are pretty killer, and they also make a damn good chef salad or chicken breast salad. Plus, they're only a mile or two from the crib.

JohnnyMack
3/29/2010, 10:13 AM
This is hillbilliest of hillbilly threads.

C&CDean
3/29/2010, 11:15 AM
Says Mr. Daylight donuts.

oumartin
3/29/2010, 12:00 PM
I drive by that place in Asher every time I go to Ada to sell calves. I've stopped a few times and they do have good chicken strips.

My favorite though is the H&T Conoco right on Highway 39 by the prison east of Lex. They've got a full breakfast (eggs/omelettes/etc.) and they do everything from pizza to steak sandwiches. Their burgers are pretty killer, and they also make a damn good chef salad or chicken breast salad. Plus, they're only a mile or two from the crib.

I have passed that place many times hungry and wanting to stop but just it's location has made me pass it on by.

C&CDean
3/29/2010, 12:32 PM
Why? Cause of the prison? ****, they're the best damn neighbors ever. No loud parties, no teenagers coming by day and night, security...

oumartin
3/29/2010, 01:22 PM
yeah, but I'm awful good lookin' and if an escapee got a look at this body. Well there's no tellin'.

C&CDean
3/29/2010, 01:24 PM
Riiiight. Well at least you can hit the toothless tweakers who sometimes hang out there.

oumartin
3/29/2010, 01:27 PM
I'm there!

setem
3/29/2010, 01:39 PM
During the summer when I am traveling with my baseball players 3 or 4 days out of the week I live off gas station fare! I have never met a Twister, Tornado or Bagle Dog I didn't like! QT has a nice selection as far as run of the mill food. I like the pizza tornadoes. The best thing is the fruity pebble rice crispy treats those are the bomb. I will have to try some of these places when we are on the road. Is there anything good up toward Claremore or toward Kansas?

John Kochtoston
3/29/2010, 02:29 PM
During the summer when I am traveling with my baseball players 3 or 4 days out of the week I live off gas station fare! I have never met a Twister, Tornado or Bagle Dog I didn't like! QT has a nice selection as far as run of the mill food. I like the pizza tornadoes. The best thing is the fruity pebble rice crispy treats those are the bomb. I will have to try some of these places when we are on the road. Is there anything good up toward Claremore or toward Kansas?

http://www.only80s.com/verosnappy.jpg

You sure seem to know your convenience-speak.