PDA

View Full Version : Lets piece together OUs roster for 10-11'

Collier11
3/25/2010, 10:22 PM
This is what we currently have, lets keep it updated as guys leave, sign, etc...

Steven Pledger- Soph 6-4

Andrew Fitzgerald- Soph 6-8

Tj Franklin-JR 5-11

Orlando Allen- SR 6-10

Willie Warren- JR 6-4

Ryan Randolph-SO 6-4

Tiny Gallon-SO 6-9

Kyle Hardrick-SO 6-8

Cade Davis-SR 6-5

Cam Clark-FR 6-7

TJ Taylor-FR 6-3

Waiting to sign

Taylor Neal-FR 6-6

...sooner
3/26/2010, 11:45 AM
lets hope for Ray McCallum & Terrence Jones & that 7'0 guy

Big Red Ron
3/26/2010, 12:18 PM
Neal, the Gatorade Player of the year officially signed with us.

Big Red Ron
3/26/2010, 12:19 PM
Also, I hear Warren is staying and the problem with the team was mostly between Warren and TMG. Maybe addition by subtraction?

...sooner
3/26/2010, 01:32 PM
Also, I hear Warren is staying and the problem with the team was mostly between Warren and TMG. Maybe addition by subtraction?

where & when did you hear this?!

Big Red Ron
3/26/2010, 04:20 PM
where & when did you hear this?!I am doing some contract work for the athletic Dept. and talked to a Mr. Naiffie(sp) and that was his opinion.

Collier11
3/26/2010, 04:41 PM
well if you look at what ive posted in other threads, from what ive heard here lately the major issue was TMG which shocked me. He had a really bad and selfish attitude and played Zero D

Big Red Ron
3/26/2010, 07:59 PM
The neck tattoos should have given us a clue but we all overlooked it. Just sayin'.

stoopified
4/23/2010, 12:17 AM
[QUOTE=Collier11;2856917]This is what we currently have, lets keep it updated as guys leave, sign, etc...

Steven Pledger- Soph 6-4

CJ Washington JR 6 '7

Kyle Hardrick SO 6'8

Cade Davis SR 6'5

Nick Thompson JR 6'8

Cam Clark-FR 6-7

TJ Taylor-FR 6-3

Tyler Neal FR 6'6

Waiting to signAt least one pg,hopefully two and another big wouldn't hurt.

/QUOTE]I thought I would dig this thread out and update it.

Collier11
4/23/2010, 12:19 AM
CJ Washington as well bro

yankee
4/23/2010, 12:31 AM
hot damn we need a point guard...

NormanPride
4/23/2010, 10:35 AM
Man, we can load the floor with mediocre 4's...

stoopified
4/23/2010, 01:45 PM
CJ Washington as well broI got him there,I guess I should have put him in the waiting to sign category.Too late now as I believe he was supposed to sign today.

ndpruitt03
4/23/2010, 09:28 PM
Add PF/SF Nick Thompson 6-8 205

And SF/PF Barry Honore

Collier11
4/24/2010, 12:45 PM
We really really need a PG now and we can start moving forward

yankee
4/24/2010, 02:49 PM
We really really need a PG now and we can start moving forward

it'd also be nice to find a recruit who's over 6'8 and doesn't resemble a stick. but, that might be wishful thinking on my part...not sure how many of those kinds of kids are left out there.

SoonerFah
4/25/2010, 11:40 AM
It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely need to get a good point guard to run the show, but we might ctually be able to compete some next season.

This needs to be Cade's team in my opinion.

Any chance John Ontjes has another year of eligibility?

ndpruitt03
4/26/2010, 11:00 AM
We got a PG. Transfer from the U of New Orleans. Not sure if he's a walk-on or not. Carl Blair...

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/uno/379897-uno-guard-blair-transfers-to-oklahoma.html

ndpruitt03
4/26/2010, 11:06 AM
Here's what our roster looks like now if this Blair thing is true.

SR.
Cade Davis 6-5 SG

JR
CJ Washington 6-7 PF
Nick Thompson 6-7 SF/PF

SO
Steven Pledger 6-4 SG
Andrew Fitzgerald - 6-7 PF
Kyle Hardrick 6-7 SF/PF
Carl Blair 6-2 PG

FR
Cam Clark 6-7 SF
TJ Taylor 6-3 SG/PG
Tyler Neal 6-6 PF/SF
Calvin Newell 6-0 PG

stoopified
4/26/2010, 01:27 PM
We got a PG. Transfer from the U of New Orleans. Not sure if he's a walk-on or not. Carl Blair...

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/uno/379897-uno-guard-blair-transfers-to-oklahoma.htmlGood news if true.I saw where he is originally from Houston so I wonder if Capel had looked at him coming out of HS?Looks like he had solid,although not exceptional stats as a frosh

badger
4/26/2010, 02:01 PM
Colly, can you update your first post on this thread based on the new info and include a note on the last time you updated it?

Collier11
4/26/2010, 02:58 PM
Well this is what it looks like to me, hopefully my info is accurate

Steven Pledger- Soph 6-4

CJ Washington JR 6 '7

Kyle Hardrick SO 6'8

Cade Davis SR 6'5

Nick Thompson JR 6'8

Carl Blair SO 6'2

Calvin Newell 6'0 FR

Cam Clark-FR 6-7

TJ Taylor-FR 6-3

Tyler Neal FR 6'6

The ones bolded have signed in the last 2 weeks

Eielson
4/26/2010, 05:36 PM
I'll definitely be interested in this team from game 1 next year. It may not last until game 10, though. Hopefully it does.

Collier11
4/26/2010, 07:58 PM
Like I said, in 2010-11 I want to see a team who will bust their azzes and win some games they arent supposed to. If we can go 7-9 or 8-8 in conf and win 17 or 18 games I will be thrilled

ndpruitt03
4/26/2010, 08:40 PM
Might have to put a hold one Newell, qualification issues.

Collier11
4/26/2010, 10:07 PM
CJ Washington was a Juco All American

stoopified
4/27/2010, 12:01 AM
Now I am actually looking forward to next year,instead of dreading it.As I have said elsewhere I think we have a chance flip last year's record from 13-18 to 18-13 and if so I'll be tickled silly.

Two things I would add is that I think OU will try to get a medical redshirt for hardrick for last year.He suffered an injury(knee I think) in preseason ,played in only 3 or so games really early in the season and st out the rest of the year.Don't know IF that will happen but hope so.I'm not as convinced as some are around here that Kyle is a waste of scholly.

The second thing is I heard a rumor(unconfirmed)that Capel is still after another big man.Hope that is true too.

ouleaf
4/27/2010, 09:06 AM
Yeah, it would be nice to have a true center or two on the roster.

oumartin
4/27/2010, 10:06 AM
this team looks like it could go undefeated! I'm jacked

OUmillenium
4/27/2010, 10:31 AM
Hardrick is not much of a player folks.

I will be surprised if he ever plays more than 10 min a game in his career. Or if he is even still around after next year.

Just my observation. Hope he turns into another Stacey King but don't see it.

...sooner
4/27/2010, 11:53 AM
Might have to put a hold one Newell, qualification issues.

link?

Sooner98
4/27/2010, 12:33 PM
Starting to look like an actual basketball roster again, thankfully.

NormanPride
4/27/2010, 01:20 PM
We should run the Mizzou 40 minutes of hell with all those 6'7"-6'8" guys. Run people ragged and try to get turnovers to compensate for the fact that our post D will be tissue paper.

ndpruitt03
4/27/2010, 01:22 PM
link?

I guess it's on OUI premium, but since I don't have that I can't confirm. He's in prep school because he couldn't qualify, and he still hasn't taken his SAT.

Eielson
4/27/2010, 07:38 PM
Hardrick is not much of a player folks.

Yeah, it's hard to expect much from a guy who couldn't start on his high school team as a senior.

stoopified
4/30/2010, 03:23 PM
Yeah, it's hard to expect much from a guy who couldn't start on his high school team as a senior.
Still averaged 10.1pp,10.3 rpg as a senior according to his OU recruiting bio,it doesn't say anything about him being a non-starter.It does mention he played in the Oklahoma-texas Faith 7 all-star game.I din't know if the kid WILL ever be a player but he was injured in preseason last year and I think that is why he only played in cuple of early season games,then sat out the remainder of the year. For this reason I think he may be ableto get a medical redshirt for last year.IF Jeff wanted to get rid of him he simply would not have renewed his scholly.That could still happen I suppose BUT Capel has not mentioned it.

BTW the big guy recruit rumor surfaced again.Supposedly we are abot to get a commit from a 6'10 kid,possibly an international player from Africa.i have ho idea how valid this is but it is the secondtime i have run across a rumor about another big.

ndpruitt03
4/30/2010, 04:32 PM
Might be Osman Olol who sounds like another Orlando Allen to me.

ndpruitt03
5/3/2010, 02:43 PM
OU officially signs 2 more players

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/050310aaa.html

University of Oklahoma head men's basketball coach Jeff Capel announced today the addition of two more recruits with the signing of prep players Calvin Newell and Abdi Ahmed to national letters of intent.

ndpruitt03
5/3/2010, 02:49 PM
Here's the scholarship roster.

SR(1)
Cade Davis 6-5 SG/SF

JR(2)
CJ Washington 6-7 PF
Nick Thompson 6-8 SF/PF

SO(4)
Steven Pledger 6-4 SG
Kyle Hardrick 6-8 SF/PF
Andrew Fitzgerald 6-7 PF
Carl Blair 6-2 SG

FR(5)
Calvin Newell 6-0 PG
Cam Clark 6-7 SF
TJ Taylor 6-3 SG/PG
Tyler Neal 6-6 PF
Abdi Ahmed 6-10 C/PF

Walk-ons Ryan Randolph(So), TJ Franklin(Jr) and maybe Barry Honore(So)

Very young roster

Collier11
5/3/2010, 03:14 PM
anyone know anything about Ahmed?

badger
5/3/2010, 03:15 PM
Sometimes it's best to just hit the rest button on the nintendo than wait for the "game over" screen. You have no idea if your next round of mario will be much better than the crappy one you just endured but frankly, you don't care, because you wanna quickly forget how badly you screwed up and quickly start another shot at saving the princess.

But d@mmit, if that princess is another castle again... ;)

Mjcpr
5/3/2010, 03:34 PM
Sooners sign two more; now have 8 newcomers
By Associated Press
Published: 5/3/2010 3:15 PM
Last Modified: 5/3/2010 3:15 PM

NORMAN - Point guard Calvin Newell and center Abdi Ahmed have signed to play basketball at Oklahoma, giving the Sooners eight new players for next season.

Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel announced the signings on Monday.
The 6-foot Newell averaged 26.1 points per game last season at Evelyn Mack Academy in Charlotte, N.C. As a high school senior in Wallingford, Pa., he averaged 29.4 points per game.

The 6-foot-10 Ahmed is from London and spent the last year at Canarias Basketball Academy in the Canary Islands. He averaged 18.0 points, 12.0 rebounds and 2.4 blocked shots per game last season for Canarias.

Oklahoma earlier signed incoming freshmen Cameron Clark, Tyler Neal and T.J. Taylor, junior college transfers Nick Thompson and C.J. Washington and University of New Orleans transfer Carl Blair.

Oklahoma went 13-18 last season, its first losing record in 29 seasons.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100503_92_0_NORMAN949769

Collier11
5/3/2010, 03:43 PM
Like ive said several times now, if these guys play hard and have any skill at all, this will be a fun team to watch after last yr

badger
5/3/2010, 04:10 PM
One of the most endearing qualities to the womens team (and yes, I know its may and I know I promised you all a hottest poll, so just wait a bit and it'll appear here before you know it) is that the athletes don't strike you as me-first highly touted blue chippers that are just using OU as a stepping stone to a pro ball career. You love the coach too, because you know she's there for the long haul and is determined to have a successful program we can be proud of.

That was what was missing last season. It was like we knew most of our starters were leaving soon and the coach... Jeff Capel seemed like he was en route out as soon as he got a better offer.

Now, I'm cautiously optimistic about mens basketball

stoopified
5/3/2010, 10:33 PM
anyone know anything about Ahmed?Originally from London,played at a premier basketball academy in the Canary Islands(off the coast ofAfrica).Supposedly this is one of the premier basketball academies for European players.Guess that fills in a lot of the recruiting rumors as he is from Europe and Africa. I wonder where the Somalia part came from?Averaged 18 ppg,12 rpg in prep school.

Collier11
5/3/2010, 11:15 PM
I think the Somalia rumors are about the other guy, and thanks for reading the info from the link to me :D

ouleaf
5/4/2010, 09:08 AM
One of the most endearing qualities to the womens team (and yes, I know its may and I know I promised you all a hottest poll, so just wait a bit and it'll appear here before you know it) is that the athletes don't strike you as me-first highly touted blue chippers that are just using OU as a stepping stone to a pro ball career. You love the coach too, because you know she's there for the long haul and is determined to have a successful program we can be proud of.

That was what was missing last season. It was like we knew most of our starters were leaving soon and the coach... Jeff Capel seemed like he was en route out as soon as he got a better offer.

Now, I'm cautiously optimistic about mens basketball

The reason you don't see a "me-first" attitude on the Women's side is that there really aren't that many women that are good enough to carry their teams to a win night in and night out the way a truly elite male player can. I'm not saying you don't see it for Women, you just don't see it very often. Women have to be more team oriented for them to be successful at just about any level of basketball.

The "me-first" attitude is something that you are just naturally going to see more on the Men's side, and here is the reason I think why that is. A lot of guys that play D-1 basketball were probably used to being the No. 1 guy on their respective HS teams, meaning they were getting all the touches or the offense would run through them b/c they were their best chance to win more than likely.

I think this results in those guys not knowing what true team basketball is. And why should they when in HS they alone are able to carry a team to a win. Why bother passing to a less skilled teammate that is more likely to miss their shot if you are good enough to get down and make your shot regulary. It makes more sense to be selfish in those instances if you want to win the game.

Then when they go off to college there might be 4 or 5 guys that were the No. 1's on their team in HS. This can be a rough transition for a lot of these guys b/c they are going up against better athletes and the things that came so easily for them in HS no longer work at the college level. This is where good coaching comes into play and they have to get their players to give up the No. 1 mentality and play team ball. The only exception to this is if you have an elite player like a Blake Griffin, Kevin Durant type that is still good enough to dominate a game at the college level on their own. This is the only case where the No. 1 mentality is still acceptable b/c it once again is often your best chance to win the game, which is all that really matters when it is said and done.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/4/2010, 09:55 AM
Capel mentioned both players are humble and have a good work ethic. That's definitely a plus. I think Capel has done a a great job in such a short time considering everything that has happened in the past few weeks...

...sooner
5/4/2010, 01:44 PM
Capel mentioned both players are humble and have a good work ethic. That's definitely a plus. I think Capel has done a a great job in such a short time considering everything that has happened in the past few weeks...

oo i completely agree. NIT & beating osu & texas at Home will make me haaapppy.

cheezyq
5/5/2010, 06:50 AM
anyone know anything about Ahmed?

Silence! He keeel you!

badger
5/17/2010, 10:08 AM
I don't feel like starting a new thread for every player we sign, so here's the latest (and likely final) addition to the 13-scholly roster.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100517_92_0_NORMAN83065)

A transfer from Mississippi State, eh?