PDA

View Full Version : Capel gets a commitment from Oklahomas Gatorade POY

Collier11
3/25/2010, 10:14 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/highschoolsports/2010/03/25/pc-wests-tyler-neal-commits-to-ou/

This kid seems like the kind of guy we need on the team...wonder if he will contribute next season

Collier11
3/25/2010, 10:15 PM
“They’re not only getting an outstanding, sky-is-the-limit basketball player, but they’re getting a fine young man in Tyler Neal,” Stogsdill said. “If they’re looking for class and character, they definitely found it in Tyler Neal. He’s a diamond in the rough.”

JLEW1818
3/25/2010, 10:22 PM
great news.

hope he loves the game. i bet he does

badger
3/25/2010, 10:37 PM
Is it just me, or does he look like a young Mike Leach? :D
http://i41.tinypic.com/5d6l1d.jpg

Collier11
3/25/2010, 10:42 PM
that didnt work right

Eielson
3/25/2010, 11:13 PM
That's awesome. This kid has been a blast to watch the last couple years in high school. I don't know him personally, but he always seemed like a good kid. He and his teammate, Amiric Fields, basically took this team from pure trash to one of the best teams in the state. I think they made the semifinals, which is basically unheard of for PC West.

He's not amazing athletically, but he's as good as any high schooler when you look at everything else. You can see that he has put in a ton of time working on his game. He has a beautiful shot, and he dribbles as well as anybody his size. He's not a terrible athlete, but being only 6'6 puts him in kind of a tweener situation. He can shoot and dribble well for a post, and great size for a guard; but he has bad size for a post, and doesn't really seem quick enough to be a guard. I could see him never being anybody, and I doubt that we would've used a scholarship on him had we not had all the chaos that just recently happened (for the tweener reasoning), but this still excites me. He has a good GPA, and I could see from his improvement over the years that he worked hard. I think he's just the kind of guy we need.

*As far as not seeming to be a great athlete, that refers to speed and quickness. This white boy can jump out of the gym. He would throw down some pretty crazy dunks (for high school) and his team wouldn't even get excited.

Collier11
3/25/2010, 11:15 PM
who would you compare him to?

Eielson
3/25/2010, 11:18 PM
Amiric Fields, his teammate, might be a nice guy to pick up as well. He might have already signed his LOI to TCU, though. He seemed a lot similar to Neal. In fact, if Fields had been white, you could've told me they were brothers. The difference being that Fields is taller (6-8 or 6-9) and softer. If Fields were more physical he would've absolutely dominated. He's a good athlete for his height, and can also dribble and shoot extremely well for his size.

Eielson
3/25/2010, 11:23 PM

The first thing that came to mind was Cade Davis, but he's slightly taller (I think) and isn't as quick. Also, for whatever reason, Cade's shot doesn't seem to be as good as it looks (most of the time). Neal seemed to hit threes consistently, but I didn't see him take too many because he played unselfishly. Probably too unselfishly.

Collier11
3/25/2010, 11:25 PM
See I thought of a less athletic but better shooting Cade

Eielson
3/25/2010, 11:26 PM
And apparently not as hot...

Collier11
3/25/2010, 11:27 PM
heh

Eielson
3/25/2010, 11:29 PM
What does Badger say?

Mjcpr
3/26/2010, 08:24 AM
Others Interested: Oral Roberts

Maybe find a happy medium between this and TMG, Jeff? :D

badger
3/26/2010, 08:48 AM
What does Badger say?

Well, like I already said, my first through was with his eyes and facial expression and hair, he looked like a young Mike Leach.

As far as basketball talent goes, this story almost reminds me of Sammie's. Not initially recruited by OU but had offers from lesser Division 1 programs (although Bradford's, admittedly, was not the caliber of Oral Roberts). Excited about the prospect of coming to his favorite school, he immediately commits upon the offer.

Now from here, Tyler Neal will hopefully work really hard in the classroom and on the court and while he might not be the basketball Heisman by year 3 (or even redshirt, for that matter), I hope he just makes us all proud to see a native Oklahoman do well at our flagship university.

And I totally don't care that he isn't a Mickie D's All-American. Teams need role players as well as stars.

birddog
3/26/2010, 08:49 AM
'stache morrison would be proud of this kid.

bluedogok
3/26/2010, 08:56 AM
That's awesome. This kid has been a blast to watch the last couple years in high school. I don't know him personally, but he always seemed like a good kid. He and his teammate, Amiric Fields, basically took this team from pure trash to one of the best teams in the state. I think they made the semifinals, which is basically unheard of for PC West.
Yep, West hasn't been much of a power in any sport since the era when I went to school there. The girls basketball team won a 4A championship around 80 or 81 and the football championship in 81 but boys basketball was always mediocre or worse. When my sister was in 8th grade at Mayfield they had a boys 9th grade team that lit up the scoreboard like crazy and won quite a bit, but that team never made it to West. A couple of them transferred to NW Classen (the perennial basketball powerhouse in that era) and a couple of them just dropped out of sight.

It was good to see them do well this season and hopefully they can keep it up.

C&CDean
3/26/2010, 09:06 AM
****in' A!! A skinny white boy without neck tats. Saints be praised!!

Mjcpr
3/26/2010, 09:23 AM
Is this Beau Gerber's replacement?

HBick
3/26/2010, 09:28 AM
Saw this kid help beat the tar out of my alma matter. he looks like a player, capel should of gone after his teammate too. that 6'9 kid, i forget his name, someone?

Big Red Ron
3/26/2010, 12:20 PM
Ryan Minor

Rhino
3/26/2010, 12:29 PM
Saw this kid help beat the tar out of my alma matter. he looks like a player, capel should of gone after his teammate too. that 6'9 kid, i forget his name, someone? Amric Fields, already signed to TCU.

oumartin
3/26/2010, 12:31 PM
guess there goes my scholarship offer.

Condescending Sooner
3/26/2010, 12:52 PM
Ryan Minor

We wish! This kid is not the athlete Ryan was.

stoopified
3/26/2010, 02:11 PM
who would you compare him to?IMHO it sounds a lot like Ryan Minor.

...sooner
3/26/2010, 02:30 PM
i hope he can ball! we need more guys like this! YAY!

Collier11
3/26/2010, 02:37 PM
see, some of you are already getting caught up in who else offered him and all that, how many big time recruits does Butler, No.Iowa, and all of those teams have?

Eielson
3/26/2010, 03:38 PM
Is this Beau Gerber's replacement?

No.

C&CDean
3/26/2010, 04:20 PM
see, some of you are already getting caught up in who else offered him and all that, how many big time recruits does Butler, No.Iowa, and all of those teams have?

No ****.

I'll take 5 scrappers who got offered by Oral Roberts or UCO who take us to the dance over 3 Mickey D's tribally tattooed chumps who couldn't win dick. But hey, that's just me.

Mjcpr
3/26/2010, 04:24 PM
No ****.

I'll take 5 scrappers who got offered by Oral Roberts or UCO who take us to the dance over 3 Mickey D's tribally tattooed chumps who couldn't win dick. But hey, that's just me.

Obviously, anybody would. But the likelihood of ORU/UCO level players taking us to the tournament, nevermind advancing, consistently, is nill. We are far more likely to go and advance by recruiting McD AA's, or at least some of them. The problem is this year's crop of McD AA knuckleheads is that they were...knuckleheads. Capel has to do a muuuuuch better job of character/work ethic judgement IMO than what he did with this bunch.

Collier11
3/26/2010, 04:43 PM
Ummm, ORU had guys in the last two years who could start for OU (Uzoh and Caleb Green), Tulsa has a potential lottery pick. Its about how you develop them my friend

Mjcpr
3/26/2010, 04:45 PM
Ummm, ORU had guys in the last two years who could start for OU (Uzoh and Caleb Green), Tulsa has a potential lottery pick. Its about how you develop them my friend

Uzoh played for ORU? Somebody should tell TU.

How did they do in the tourney?

Collier11
3/26/2010, 04:58 PM
you know what I meant, Green for ORU, Jordan and Uzoh for Tulsa. What does the tourney have to do with the fact that any of those 3 couldve started for OU

Mjcpr
3/26/2010, 05:03 PM
I'm not really even sure what your point was in mentioning them. My point was that recruiting ORU/OCU type talent will not consistently get us to the tourney and advancing in it.

Of course you can find players from mid-majors who could start for us. Jesus, it should be damn easy to do that right now. What I am saying is that I don't think we'd be happy with the team's results if we start recruting that talent level and none of the McD AA's. We can recruit the higher level player, Capel just needs to do a waaaay better job of judging the character/work ethic.

You don't have to agree, it's okay. :)

stoopified
3/28/2010, 10:55 PM
We wish! This kid is not the athlete Ryan was.I have no idea if he can play basketball and baseball at a high level like Ryan did.Having said that Ryan was not an ATHLETIC basketball player.Athletic players have exceptional quickness,speed, and leaping ability and Minor was average in all those areas.He did have a good shot,a high basketball IQ,and a great work ethic.It is in this regard that the comparison is apt,also Minor was likewise not a Blue Chip coming out of hs.Being Gatorade Player of the Year would seem to indicate at least a percieved decent level of talent . We have won a lot of games over the years with players of this type.

Collier11
3/29/2010, 01:17 AM
Heres a video, the dude has a smooth shot, great range, can play some D as well...does seem a little slow but they can work on that with him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5U7vgQDx8

yankee
3/29/2010, 02:44 AM
Heres a video, the dude has a smooth shot, great range, can play some D as well...does seem a little slow but they can work on that with him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5U7vgQDx8

i'm hoping this guy turns into a ryan wittman (this year's cornell's team top scorer) type player...he's got the same weight and height, and likes the 3 point shot...not the most athletic guy, but if the dude can shoot, that won't change at the next level.

soonerfan28
3/29/2010, 10:54 AM
Maybe I missed something but last time I checked the OU basketball team had 3 MDAA on it and we didn't come close to the tourney. If you aren't mature enough to be coached than you will stay home come March every year. How many MDAA's does Butler have?

Collier11
3/29/2010, 11:57 AM
huh?

Big Red Ron
3/29/2010, 12:23 PM
Maybe I missed something but last time I checked the OU basketball team had 3 MDAA on it and we didn't come close to the tourney. If you aren't mature enough to be coached than you will stay home come March every year. How many MDAA's does Butler have?
Dude, Butler can recruit against a lot of teams in America maybe not Duke or UCLA but certainly against OU.

Two of the 3 MDAA's we had 2 were true freshman (not the one year wonder types, regardless of TMG's decision) and one was injured for much of the year. We only had one senior (that played significantly) and one Junior the rest of the team were walk ons and freshmen.

All of this created match up problems in many games. All that being said, we DID BEAT texass and Okie State. If Gallon and WW stay for next season, I expect those other freshmen, now sophomores, and the new recruits to have a very solid squad that's capable of making the NCAA's next year.

yankee
3/29/2010, 06:00 PM
Dude, Butler can recruit against a lot of teams in America maybe not Duke or UCLA but certainly against OU.

Two of the 3 MDAA's we had 2 were true freshman (not the one year wonder types, regardless of TMG's decision) and one was injured for much of the year. We only had one senior (that played significantly) and one Junior the rest of the team were walk ons and freshmen.

All of this created match up problems in many games. All that being said, we DID BEAT texass and Okie State. If Gallon and WW stay for next season, I expect those other freshmen, now sophomores, and the new recruits to have a very solid squad that's capable of making the NCAA's next year.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2007/butler-165

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2008/butler-165

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2009/butler-165

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2010/butler-165

i see a lot of 2 and 3 star players....just saying. but, i also think that we need to go after high caliber players too...we play in a very tough conference, certainly one that's tougher than the one butler plays in (thus, generally a higher level of talent). but i am not opposed at all to say, bringing in a couple guys who aren't as highly touted (but good, solid players) mixed in with a higher-caliber guy or two. as we've seen this past season...it's a delicate balance..

Eielson
3/29/2010, 07:32 PM
Nobody was complaining about McDAA's when it was Blake Griffin...

Collier11
3/29/2010, 08:14 PM
Butler has two NBA guys on their squad

yankee
3/29/2010, 08:14 PM

and for good reason...

Collier11
3/29/2010, 08:15 PM
Look how many McDs AAs that Duke and Kentucky and the rest of the powerhouses get, the problem was that Capel wasnt a good enough judge of character

yankee
3/29/2010, 08:16 PM
Butler has two NBA guys on their squad

who?

hayward doesn't translate to the next level, at this point in his career (if that's one of the guys you're referring to).

Collier11
3/29/2010, 10:54 PM
Hayward is already being projected as a 1st rd pick in the 11' draft, also mack (their SG) has been mentioned as a future draft pick.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

soonerfan28
3/30/2010, 09:44 AM
All I meant by my comments on page 2 was that you don't have to have MDAA's to make a run in the tournament (Butler) and that a lot of the MDAA's have the me before team attitude. I do agree that Capel misjudged the character of these three but he needs to recruit character as much as talent. Kansas, Kentucky, Duke and UNC all recruit MDAA's and it works for them. I think it was inexperience on Capels part and he realizes that has to change.

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2010, 11:30 AM
How many MDAAs did we have on our squad that made our last final four push?

I may be wrong, and if I am I will admit it, but I think we had ZERO!

It is not what they do in high sdhool that makes the team good or bad....it is how well they accept coaching when they are in college.

All these guys can play at this level, D1, the recruiting stars of a player means very little when it comes to making a great team.

Bobby Knight consistently made teams out of 3 and 4 star recruits. Yeah, he got some MDAAs, but his teams were filled with the blue collar type of players.

And as much as people here hate the name, the same can be said of Kelvin Sampson.

badger
3/30/2010, 11:34 AM

Blake Griffin and Wayman Tisdale need to have their own statues out at LNC a la Heisman Park. Call it something with "23" in it :D