PDA

View Full Version : International Bowl canceled after 4 years

bluedogok
3/25/2010, 06:47 PM
I ran across this news today...

Rivals - International Bowl canceled after 4 years (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-internationalbowl&prov=ap&type=lgns)
1 hour, 26 minutes ago

TORONTO (AP)—The International Bowl is folding after failing to renew its contract with the Big East.

The only bowl game played outside the U.S. matched a Big East school against a Mid-American Conference opponent for four years. The Big East is now sending a team to the new Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium.

Big East members won all four games, outscoring their MAC foes 117-53 the last three years. South Florida’s 27-3 win over Northern Illinois on Jan. 2 drew the bowl’s lowest attendance with just over 22,000 fans at Toronto’s Rogers Centre. But a year earlier, 40,184 people watched Connecticut beat Buffalo.

Bowl president Don Loding said Thursday the game could possibly be resurrected in the future.

ndpruitt03
3/25/2010, 06:50 PM
Good they need to start getting rid of bowls instead of adding more. Bowls are bad for college football because there are so many. The regular season means nothing now.

JLEW1818
3/25/2010, 07:03 PM
how so?

Leroy Lizard
3/25/2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah, those fans from Toledo hope for a good enough season to get into a bowl. So the regular season means a lot to them because there are enough bowls to give them a fighting chance.

ndpruitt03
3/25/2010, 07:26 PM
After OU lost about 2 or 3 games do you really think any of the games mattered that much? No because it was the holiday bowl at best. Like it is really a much better game than the Sun Bowl or Alamo Bowl. 7-4 teams shouldn't be going to bowl games.

JLEW1818
3/25/2010, 07:30 PM
i love bowl season. so do most football fans.

**** it you know? if you're not in a bcs bowl, why even have the bowl right? lol

no

Ardmore_Sooner
3/25/2010, 07:36 PM
Bowl games are pretty pointless. As much as I hate to admit it it's the truth. They also need to make the bowl games closer to the regular season. A month between games is assinine.

gaylordfan1
3/25/2010, 07:49 PM
I agree about the time between the reg season and the bowl. A team seems to loose momentum...

JLEW1818
3/25/2010, 07:50 PM
well then, lets just do a 120 team tourney starting at the beginning of December!!!!!! every team gets in!!!!!! f the regular season

bluedogok
3/25/2010, 08:19 PM
The "bowl season" actually starts about two weeks after the end of the regular season or conference championship games. Just because Fox and the BCS want the premiere games a month and a half after that weekend doesn't mean all the bowl games are late. To me the BCS game should be the 2nd, the day after the traditional New Years bowl games instead of drug out another week.

JLEW1818
3/25/2010, 08:23 PM
finals is a dead week... .should that change?

Ardmore_Sooner
3/25/2010, 08:27 PM
Why should finals matter? So many spring sports play during finals week and into the summer. Most players in other sports miss so many days of class, the finals week is just a convienent excuse.

I didn't say there should be a playoff, but who gives to flyin craps about the International Bowl?

TahoeSOONER
3/25/2010, 09:33 PM
The more CFB the better. I enjoy watching the game if both teams are decent and I try to catch them all. It truly is the most wonderful time of the year. There is waaaaay to much time between the conference championships and BCS games though.

JLEW1818
3/25/2010, 09:40 PM
Why should finals matter? So many spring sports play during finals week and into the summer. Most players in other sports miss so many days of class, the finals week is just a convienent excuse.

I didn't say there should be a playoff, but who gives to flyin craps about the International Bowl?

as far as basketball that is only 12-15 kids missing finals.

Football, about 80 kids?

idk, don't really care. I like the BCS.

silverwheels
3/25/2010, 10:02 PM
There are too many bowls, but they make people money, so you won't see them scale it back. And more football is better than less football to an extent, but it would be great if more of those games in the postseason actually meant something, instead of just one game.

oudavid1
3/25/2010, 11:09 PM
Makes no difference to me.

Leroy Lizard
3/26/2010, 12:49 AM
Why should finals matter? So many spring sports play during finals week and into the summer.

We've been through this a million times. Scheduling high-pressure playoff games during final exams is a bad idea.

ndpruitt03
3/26/2010, 10:00 AM
Nobody would be scheduling during finals. Hell Finals weeks actually usually around the time of the Conference Championship weeks now.

SteelClip49
3/26/2010, 10:36 AM
This will not make a difference since there are 3 new bowls anyways.

Cure Bowl, New Era Pinstripe Bowl, Dallas Football Classic.

goingoneight
3/26/2010, 11:24 AM
Playoffs would never work... in any sport. That's why every sporting event just kinda votes on who plays for it all.

Wait...

gotpoi73
3/26/2010, 12:32 PM
Playoffs would never work... in any sport. That's why every sporting event just kinda votes on who plays for it all.

Wait...

YES!...cancel the nba playoffs. the votes are in lakers vs. cavs
cancel the nhl playoffs too. caps vs sharks...way,way better than the playoffs.

while we're at it, we could have canceled the tourney and just had kansas and kentucky play in the championship game. i for one haven't enjoyed any of the games so far...boresville

fadada1
3/26/2010, 12:39 PM

Wait...

i see where you're going here. take it and run, my friend.

:D

Jacie
3/26/2010, 09:53 PM
This will not make a difference since there are 3 new bowls anyways.

Cure Bowl

The Cure Bowl? Finally, a game to highlight my favorite 70's big-hair band. Oh boy, I can't wait! The Cure's music is totally suited to football.

Want your team to blow out the opposition? Never Enough

Your team lose by a large margin to a rival? Why Can't I Be You?

Lose a game in OT? Boys Don't Cry

Win a game in OT? Just Like Heaven

Leroy Lizard
3/26/2010, 10:25 PM
They tried alternatives, but the Spandau Ballet Bowl just didn't sound right.

Hell Finals weeks actually usually around the time of the Conference Championship weeks now.

Haven't we been through this before?

while we're at it, we could have canceled the tourney and just had kansas and kentucky play in the championship game.

If college basketball was more popular than college football, you might have scored a point.

royalfan5
3/29/2010, 08:28 PM
I might have cared about this bowl if they would have played Canadian rules, just for a change of pace.

OUmillenium
3/30/2010, 09:12 AM
The Cure = 70s big hair?

KantoSooner
3/30/2010, 10:12 AM
I'm thinking The Clash bowl would be pretty awesome.....but then thought of the sheer sustained whimsy of either The Dead Kennedys or The Dead Milkmen headlining The Dead Bowl. (and, no, the Grateful Dead just wouldn't work for football......for ultimate frisbee, yes, for football, no.)

RedstickSooner
3/30/2010, 10:17 AM
finals is a dead week... .should that change?

Of course not. Those overworked tutors have a hard enough time as it is, taking their own exams as well as those of the football players they work for.

:)