PDA

View Full Version : Urban Issues

oudavid1
3/25/2010, 02:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5025822

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- With a stern look and some finger-pointing, Florida coach Urban Meyer had harsh words for a reporter following spring practice Wednesday.

Meyer, speaking for the first time in a week, confronted an Orlando Sentinel reporter and defended receiver Deonte Thompson.

It was unclear why Meyer took issue with the Sentinel's story.

Reporter Jeremy Fowler quoted Thompson as referring to John Brantley as "a real quarterback," in comparison to Tim Tebow.

The exchange was caught on video, captured by a photographer and witnessed by a dozen or more people -- including several fans leaving spring practice.

"You'll be out of practice -- you understand that? -- if you do that again," Meyer told the reporter. "I told you five years ago: Don't mess with our players. Don't do it. You did it. You do it one more time and the Orlando Sentinel's not welcome here ever again. Is that clear? It's yes or no."

Meyer was reacting to a story posted on the Sentinel's Web site following Monday's practice. Thompson was asked what the biggest difference was between Tebow and Brantley.

"You never know with Tim," Thompson said. "He can bolt. You'll think he's running, but then he'll just come up and pass it to you. You just have to be ready at all times. With Brantley, everything's with rhythm, time. Like, you know what I mean, a real quarterback."

Thompson was embarrassed by the remark and the attention it got, mostly because he likes Tebow and never wanted to say anything negative about him.

Meyer, who has praised Thompson for being a good student, a hard worker and a player who has not gotten into any trouble, eventually got word of Thompson's distress and relayed his concern to school officials. The school responded by canceling post-practice interviews Wednesday.

But as reporters were hanging around following the session, Meyer walked over to the group and began the exchange with Fowler.

"You're a bad guy, man. You're a bad guy," Meyer said. "If that was my son, we'd be going at it right now."

Meyer turned and walked away, then met his daughter on the practice field and pointed back at the reporter. He also avoided reporters by leaving through another exit.

Team spokesman Steve McClain declined comment.

I think Urban was being an overprotective baby, but that's probably cause like most Sooner fans i don't like him.

Collier11
3/25/2010, 02:15 PM
Well I see it like this, the reported took the quote out of context which reporters often do intentionally and that is irresponsible but I also think Urban threw an unnecessary hissy fit

Collier11
3/25/2010, 02:16 PM
and meyer isnt going to remove the Orlando Sentinel, ever

Leroy Lizard
3/25/2010, 02:19 PM
Sounds like a good example of miscommunication and probably some bad writing.

Collier11
3/25/2010, 02:20 PM
well right after that the WR talked about Tebow being one of the best ever but that wasnt printed...the writer was obviously looking for a reaction

Leroy Lizard
3/25/2010, 02:22 PM
Then he deserved Urban's wrath and probably should be banned.

Collier11
3/25/2010, 02:23 PM
should he be, probably, will he be, no. You and I both know that integrity in journalism rarely exists anymore. Quotes are taken out of context all the time and printed for a reaction and $$$$

gaylordfan1
3/25/2010, 03:00 PM
Im confused... what exactly did he do to the player that caused this reaction? "If that was my son, we'd be going at it right now."

Collier11
3/25/2010, 03:02 PM
The reporter asked about the difference between Brantley and Tebow and the player started talking about how Tebow was more improvisational while Brantley is more timing, I think he meant to say like a pure QB but said a Real QB...right after that the player talked about how Tebow was one of the greatest of all time but the reporter only printed that the player said Tebow wasnt a real qb when it was obviously out of context

Urban may have had a reason to be irritated but I think he overreacted big time

Leroy Lizard
3/25/2010, 03:05 PM
should he be, probably, will he be, no. You and I both know that integrity in journalism rarely exists anymore. Quotes are taken out of context all the time and printed for a reaction and $$$$

No excuse.

Is it?

Collier11
3/25/2010, 03:12 PM
not an excuse but it is a fact...thats why I said in a thread several months ago that reporters need to start being taken to task about the way they report

gaylordfan1
3/25/2010, 03:20 PM
Ok, I just watched the clip and figured it out. Apparently this Thompson kid was pretty embarrassed about his comment and he and Urban thought the reporter redirected it from its actual meaning. I can see the guy getting mad. Look at it this way, what do you think Stoops would have done? I have witnessed first hand Stoops ripping into a college age girl at Al's on campus for taking a picture of him and his family as they walked out of the bar. I felt soooo bad for this girl.... she ran off in tears.

Leroy Lizard
3/25/2010, 03:21 PM
Then we agree.

I wish coaches would make life a little more unbearable for sports writers. I have no problem with Urban's actions, although some of his remarks were a little unprofessional.

Leroy Lizard
3/25/2010, 03:22 PM
I have witnessed first hand Stoops ripping into a college age girl at Al's on campus for taking a picture of him and his family as they walked out of the bar. I felt soooo bad for this girl.... she ran off in tears.

You can't do that as a coach.

Collier11
3/25/2010, 03:27 PM

Disagree, Stoops has the right to expect respect and privacy while with his family...now, obviously alot of people dont care about that but he should at the least be able to expect privacy while with his family

gaylordfan1
3/25/2010, 03:31 PM
Well, since I was there and saw it first hand I can say I thought it was uncalled for. It wasn't like the girl asked them to get together and to smile. She was about 10-15 foot away and was taking at most a candid shot of them as they were leaving. Then Stoops approached her and called her out in front of the crowd. I merely said "burn" under my breath and walked away.... only to exclude myself from stepping into his wrath.

OUTrumpet
3/25/2010, 03:44 PM
and meyer isnt going to remove the Orlando Sentinel, ever

Edited: Misread - irrelevant now.

Collier11
3/25/2010, 03:46 PM
boner

SoonerLB
3/25/2010, 03:50 PM
Can't say as I would blame Stoops, I'm sure it gets old not being able to enjoy some family time without something like that happening.

And back to the topic at hand ..... , Florida has a real quarterback now? ;)

starrca23
3/25/2010, 03:52 PM
I looked up the article. Myer is being a complete baby. No big deal.

Leroy Lizard
3/25/2010, 04:08 PM
Disagree, Stoops has the right to expect respect and privacy while with his family...now, obviously alot of people dont care about that but he should at the least be able to expect privacy while with his family

It's improper to tee off on someone in public if you are a head football coach. There are some things you just don't do. That's about six of them.

We all get irritated by others, but you gotta' keep your cool.

At $4 million per year, he can grit through a few photos. Especially after losing to Texas this year.

Can't say as I would blame Stoops, I'm sure it gets old not being able to enjoy some family time without something like that happening.

He was out in the public, not in his private home. And while I'm sure he gets a lot of requests for photos, it's nothing like the relentless barrage that people like Brittany Spears gets. He should be able to handle it maturely.

Leroy Lizard
3/25/2010, 04:09 PM

Gee, thanks for the in-depth analysis.

Collier11
3/25/2010, 04:13 PM
It's improper to tee off on someone in public if you are a head football coach. There are some things you just don't do. That's about six of them.

We all get irritated by others, but you gotta' keep your cool.

At $4 million per year, he can grit through a few photos. Especially after losing to Texas this year.

He was out in the public, not in his private home. And while I'm sure he gets a lot of requests for photos, it's nothing like the relentless barrage that people like Brittany Spears gets. He should be able to handle it maturely.

what does his salary have to do with anything? Sure he is a public figure and therefore must understand that he is open to certain scrutiny and invasions of privacy that most arent but that doesnt mean he has to like it when he has his kids with him and someone is snapping photos of them

SoonerDood
3/25/2010, 04:20 PM

I agree. Saint Urb is probably upset he hasn't been on the front page for the last few weeks.

oudavid1
3/25/2010, 04:30 PM
Im sorry, But what Mr. Thompson said is what Mr. Thompson said, if Urban cant handle it than he shouldn't read the paper or let his un-productive sophomore talk to the media....and to condone violence like he did was wrong to, he just did it to emphasize his disagreement and acted like less than a man. IMHO (If Stoops did this, I promise i would be just as upset, i cannot stand that behavior.)

SoonerAtKU
3/25/2010, 04:32 PM
So Leroy, your contention is that Stoops shouldn't have done what he did, but that Urban was completely justified in doing what he did?

For the record, I think both reactions are unprofessional and petty.

oudavid1
3/25/2010, 04:34 PM
For the record, I think both reactions are unprofessional and petty.

THANK YOU, AND HE (Urban Meyer) is making more money than I'll ever make, so he had better act with dignity and respect or he will get none here.

soonerboomer93
3/25/2010, 04:34 PM
Urban's a man, he's 40

Leroy Lizard
3/25/2010, 04:51 PM
what does his salary have to do with anything? Sure he is a public figure and therefore must understand that he is open to certain scrutiny and invasions of privacy that most arent but that doesnt mean he has to like it when he has his kids with him and someone is snapping photos of them

His opinions are not the problem, but rather his behavior.

Im sorry, But what Mr. Thompson said is what Mr. Thompson said...

Not if the quote was pulled out of context.

So Leroy, your contention is that Stoops shouldn't have done what he did, but that Urban was completely justified in doing what he did?

You must have missed the part where I said that Urban's behavior was unprofessional. I do agree, however, that Urban has a right to be mad. Stoops does too, but to a much lesser extent.

It seems as if the coaching profession is becoming increasingly arrogant. Must be the money.

CU Sooner
3/25/2010, 05:07 PM
Urban's a man, he's 40

My first thought.:)

Scott D
3/25/2010, 05:07 PM
I think Urban needs to get back to his leave of absence.

oudavid1
3/25/2010, 05:19 PM
His opinions are not the problem, but rather his behavior.

Not if the quote was pulled out of context.

You must have missed the part where I said that Urban's behavior was unprofessional. I do agree, however, that Urban has a right to be mad. Stoops does too, but to a much lesser extent.

It seems as if the coaching profession is becoming increasingly arrogant. Must be the money.

He said that Brantley is a "real quarterback" , compared to what other (Tebow) so what he said, thats enough

Leroy Lizard
3/25/2010, 05:22 PM
He said that Brantley is a "real quarterback" , compared to what other (Tebow) so what he said, thats enough

Uh-huh. On what planet were your journalistic ethics developed?

Context is EVERYTHING.

agoo758
3/25/2010, 06:10 PM

You have someone start taking random pictures of you and tell me how you would react.

Leroy Lizard
3/25/2010, 06:44 PM
Hire me as a head football coach at a major university first, then we'll see.

Scott D
3/25/2010, 06:50 PM
By Leroy's reaction you'd think that Stoops went all Kanye West on this poor girl's camera.

Leroy Lizard
3/25/2010, 07:07 PM
Based on what? I am not calling for Stoops' firing or anything like that. I'm just not a homer like the rest of you.

gaylordfan1
3/25/2010, 07:39 PM
sorry for the opening of this can of worms.....
:pop:

OU-HSV
3/25/2010, 09:43 PM
Urban's a man, he's 40

Beat me to it

badger
3/25/2010, 10:15 PM
It is what it is. Urban will ultimately be judged by how often his team wins, not by blowing up at a reporter. I mean, look at Gundy. His teams go to bowl games, so Poke fans don't seem to care that he isn't beating OU!

EDIT: I just read the blog and article and saw the video in question. The article itself suggests that the receiver probably meant "real quarterback" as in a more conventional one. The blog wonders out loud whether or not Tebow just got dissed. The video is just Urban being a bully. The reporter also wrote a blog today giving his side of the Urban confrontation.

I still think Urban will not be judged by those that matter (Gator U, players, recruits, and Gator fans) for this... but if we are going to take things further out of context to drum up controversy, Urban said this:

"If that was my son, we'd be going at it right now."

So basically, Urban doesn't care about players like they were his own kids, eh? No family atmosphere at the Swamp? Urban values his own family more than his football family. So there you go, recruits and parents - Urban doesn't give a d@mn about you, just his family, so you might as well go elsewhere.

;)

soonervegas
3/25/2010, 11:37 PM
sorry for the opening of this can of worms.....
:pop:

I have heard other stories, but you never know what is true and what is myth. I would say that a coach has a responsibility to treat people in public with respect. They are the CEO of the program. I understand not wanting your children photographed, but dressing down someone in public is probably not the appropriate method of response.

Leroy Lizard
3/26/2010, 12:25 AM
So basically, Urban doesn't care about players like they were his own kids, eh?

No, of course not. Who would?

MALE918
3/26/2010, 01:29 AM
You have someone start taking random pictures of you and tell me how you would react.

shoot! If I was on public property --- I'd probably pose...:D

fossil
3/26/2010, 07:46 AM
Well I see it like this, the reported took the quote out of context which reporters often do intentionally and that is irresponsible but I also think Urban threw an unnecessary hissy fit

How the heck would you know if he took the quote out of context. You didn't hear the quote!

fossil
3/26/2010, 07:47 AM
well right after that the WR talked about Tebow being one of the best ever but that wasnt printed...the writer was obviously looking for a reaction

Again, if it wasn't 'printed', how do you know what he said? Dude, you must have that ESPN stuff or something!

fossil
3/26/2010, 07:50 AM

And what, exactly, damage did it do to the Stoops family by having that picture taken? I'd bet this girl just wanted it for her scrap book. I think Stoops screwed up when he did that. Sorry, he may be OU coach, but he ain't God for Christ sake!!

fossil
3/26/2010, 07:52 AM

And back to the topic at hand ..... , Florida has a real quarterback now? ;)

Good grief, they were leaving. It ain't exaclty like she took their picture while they were all eating. They were exiting the place, and it didn't do one damned bit of harm for that picture to be snapped.

Leroy Lizard
3/26/2010, 11:18 AM
How the heck would you know if he took the quote out of context. You didn't hear the quote!

The context was explained in the article through player interviews after the fact. It's pretty clear that the quote that was printed didn't reflect the player's true views.

Leroy Lizard
3/26/2010, 11:20 AM
Good grief, they were leaving. It ain't exaclty like she took their picture while they were all eating. They were exiting the place, and it didn't do one damned bit of harm for that picture to be snapped.

As a celebrity, he has to expect some of that. It's not as if she acted like the paparazzi.

Keep in mind that all we have is one poster's word that he saw this took place. It's not a fact.

oudavid1
3/26/2010, 11:52 AM
Uh-huh. On what planet were your journalistic ethics developed?

Context is EVERYTHING.

So is behavior, what he did was childish, if i wrote something bad about Bob Stoops or Sam Bradford do you honestly think either one of them would care, this is all the WR's fault for not getting his point across and in the interview he barley managed to get that sentence out, if Urban cares so much about this that he would threaten another person who trying to pay his own bills, than tell the media to not talk to you yet-to-be-productive sophomore.

Leroy Lizard
3/26/2010, 12:11 PM
So is behavior, what he did was childish, if i wrote something bad about Bob Stoops or Sam Bradford do you honestly think either one of them would care,

Gundy obviously cared. Good for him. Like Urban, I thought his diatribe was way over the top, but the reporter (forget her name) deserved it.

IMO, Urban should have simply banned the reporter for good and let it be a warning. The Orlando Sentinel could still send a reporter, but not that one.

this is all the WR's fault for not getting his point across and in the interview he barley managed to get that sentence out, if Urban cares so much about this that he would threaten another person who trying to pay his own bills, than tell the media to not talk to you yet-to-be-productive sophomore.

As a reporter, you cannot take quotes out of context and expect anyone to defend you. It is incumbent on the reporter to print the truth, not just what sells.

Was the WR really saying that he didn't think Tebow was a real QB? If not, don't print a quote out of context that makes it look like he was.

If you want to see happens when journalists employ creative editing, check out Michael Moore. That's the type of crap that people need to rise up against.

Big Red Ron
3/26/2010, 12:16 PM
The situation just confirms my beliefe that Urban is a D-Bag.

gotpoi73
3/26/2010, 12:20 PM
the quote wasn't taken out of context, the kid simply misspoke. if urb hadn't gone doosh-tard bully on the reporter, it would have been a dead issue. urb's over the top reaction gave it life

Big Red Ron
3/26/2010, 12:23 PM
the quote wasn't taken out of context, the kid simply misspoke. if urb hadn't gone doosh-tard bully on the reporter, it would have been a dead issue. urb's over the top reaction gave it life
He was Gundyesqe.

Jello Biafra
3/26/2010, 12:24 PM
Based on what? I am not calling for Stoops' firing or anything like that. I'm just not a homer like the rest of you.

no but, you are a homeOwner...

Sooner in Tampa
3/26/2010, 12:28 PM
He was Gundyesqe.
Actually Urban is WORSE than Gundy...at least when Gundy went ape**** he actually had something to bitch about...Jenny dogged on of his players...Urban just looks like an immature and petty baby because someone talke ill of St. Timmah the Messiah

cheezyq
3/26/2010, 12:42 PM

At least the whole thing didn't involve mothers of children, chicken, and puking.

;)

meoveryouxinfinity
3/26/2010, 01:08 PM
oh where to begin.... I thought the video was funny, in a glad-that's-not-my-coach kinda way. What kind of adult approaches another adult like that? It's completely unprofessional. If you have beef with someone, you address them alone, not in a group of peers. It definitely shows Urban's arrogance. Ever heard of speak softly and carry a big stick? Urban's the boss and everyone knows it. He could have gotten his point across by simply eying the reporter down. But he had his me-me-me media moment. You guys wonder where Tim Tebow gets it from? Urban LOVES media attention. I called him out after he "retired"! It's all just a stunt.

Now, about Bob Stoops..if the story is accurate. Dick-move. Like others have said, the girl wasn't bothering him. The picture probably wouldn't have gone farther than facebook. Let go of the grumpy old man stage. There are a lot of worse things in life than people idolizing you and trying to capture the moment of seeing you on the street. Sheesh.

goingoneight
3/26/2010, 01:22 PM
No doubt Meyer pulled a Gundy.

Was it wrong? Back to context... look at the following two phrases and tell me if they mean the same thing:

"Let's eat, grandpa."

"Let's eat grandpa."

So we see that when something is left out, it becomes humorous and can mean something completely different than what was implied.

Moral of the story... sports journalists aren't writing for Days of Our Lives. They're supposed to be reporting what is factually correct. This kind of "journalism" is the reason Stoops's reputation suffered in 2006 when he ousted Bomar. Irresponsible reporting reaches the masses. We credit the general public for being fans, but not for being smart enough to know the difference between what's true versus what they "done heard" or read.

Leroy Lizard
3/26/2010, 02:39 PM
Moral of the story... sports journalists aren't writing for Days of Our Lives. They're supposed to be reporting what is factually correct. This kind of "journalism" is the reason Stoops's reputation suffered in 2006 when he ousted Bomar. Irresponsible reporting reaches the masses. We credit the general public for being fans, but not for being smart enough to know the difference between what's true versus what they "done heard" or read.

And the only way to stop this type of journalism is to call out those reporters at all times, even when the person they are ripping is someone you can't stand.

On the other hand, Urban did not handle the situation professionally. But he certainly had a right to be mad.

I say this with true conviction: If it had been Bob chastising the reporter, the opinions in here would be completely different. "Way to go, Bob!" Who can really deny it?

meoveryouxinfinity
3/26/2010, 02:50 PM
No doubt Meyer pulled a Gundy.

Was it wrong? Back to context... look at the following two phrases and tell me if they mean the same thing:

"Let's eat, grandpa."

"Let's eat grandpa."

So we see that when something is left out, it becomes humorous and can mean something completely different than what was implied.

The journalist in question's problem isn't that he took the quote out of context. It's that he knew the story he wanted to write (an opinion piece very similar to the opinions of anyone out of the state of Florida) and used the quote as his platform.

The WR did say that Tebow wasn't a real (as someone else mentioned "pure" was probably what he really meant) quarterback and he was saying that it did have disadvantages. He was saying that while Tebow was special, the new qb is more traditional, which is easier to play/practice with. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

Salt City Sooner
3/26/2010, 07:25 PM
Ahem (taptaptap).......this meeting will now come to order. Let it henceforth be known that there are new rules for the media who cover the Florida Gators, starting IMMEDIATELY:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/100325_urban_meyer_reporter_guidelines&sportCat=ncf

Leroy Lizard
3/26/2010, 07:31 PM
Dear Patrick:

Leave the juvenile satire to Internet message boards and The Onion.

gaylordfan1
3/26/2010, 08:36 PM
As a celebrity, he has to expect some of that. It's not as if she acted like the paparazzi.

Keep in mind that all we have is one poster's word that he saw this took place. It's not a fact.

Ok, the Bob picture thing was like 2003 or 04, I can't remember exactly. But I do remember that it was during the season. So maybe he was stressed out or something.

yankee
3/26/2010, 08:52 PM
doesn't urban have "health issues"? i'm sure this is just what the doctor prescribed during his so-called "break".

Leroy Lizard
3/26/2010, 09:02 PM
It might be better for him to let off steam than keep it bottled up. Who knows?

G8trGr8t
3/26/2010, 09:10 PM

the slantinel amended the original article after the fuss, you aren't reading the original article and the article wasn't the problem, the problem was his tweet and his teaser headlines "Thompson calls Brantley a "real" quarterback"

"reporter" was using a single poorly chosen word to get attention for himself regardless of how it might emnbarass the guy that said it without bothering to clarify it in his tweets/teasers. fwiw, this isn't the first time this "reporter" has been an ahole he practically stalked meyer's daughter for more quotes after she said something about getting her dad back right before the bowl game. he is a punk that uses whatever he can to get attention for himself. first private conversation about being polite and ethical in his reporting didn't do the trick so Meyer had to make it clear to him that this was it. If you think Meyer won't boot the slantinel, think again.

there were half a dozen other reporters listening to that interview with Thompson and this punk is the only one that used the term, knowing that it would be taken out of context, to try and benefit himself. damn right he deserved it.

Collier11
3/26/2010, 09:47 PM
Like I said before, the writer was being irresponsible in the name of attention and Meyer acted like a punk by saying he would fight him if it was his kid

Florida would absolutely NEVER boot the sentinal, EVER

Leroy Lizard
3/26/2010, 10:03 PM
I understand, G8, but Meyer needs to cut the violence talk. Not cool.

G8trGr8t
3/27/2010, 08:09 AM
UCF booted the sentinel, why do you think UF wouldn't? Every major paper in Florida covers UF and UF isn't going to be hurt by dismissing one publication. Regardless, UF would not dismiss the publication but they would deny rights to an individual representative and then it would be up to the paper if they wanted to send somebody else. If their next rep did not conduct themselves any better, they would be denied too. If the paper chose not to send a rep that knows how to act ethically, that would be their choice.

LL, agreed, talk of violence is not a solution in a case like this. When force is a solution, it isn't something to be talked about or discussed, just something to be done: quick, clean, efficient and done.

fwiw, Brantley is going to be really good if spring practices are any indication. Best pure passing QB I have ever seen in 30 years of following football at UF. There was a reason he was gatorade player of the year and after three seasons (1 rs) of watching, he is ready to go. Our offense will look substantially different next year with him at QB.

G8trGr8t
3/27/2010, 08:15 AM
doesn't urban have "health issues"? i'm sure this is just what the doctor prescribed during his so-called "break".

like my grandpa used to say,

Better to give ulcers than get them....;)

VA Sooner
3/27/2010, 08:49 AM
Pulling a Gundy, ehh? Garners some respect from his own players... but does make it look like he's over-protective.

Lesson to young boys... careful what you say when you think you're in the limelight during an interview.

Big Red Ron
3/27/2010, 11:57 AM
What's wrong with what the wide out said? Tebow is an option QB, not a pro style passer. The WR will get more balls thrown his way, it's not even debatable. Meyer's man crush on Tebow continues to sicken.

badger
3/27/2010, 12:29 PM
Regardless of what the reporter reported, it's not like he put words in his mouth. He really called the new guy a "real quarterback." Take it as you will as either a good thing or a bad thing concerning Tebow. As we are not Gator fans, we like to think the least of Rev. Timmy T. Messiah, so hey, glad you Florida Gators finally have a "real quarterback."

Now... go back to sucking. Lose to everyone except Les Miles. We still hate him more than Urbie.:)

Leroy Lizard
3/27/2010, 12:32 PM
Pulling a Gundy, ehh? Garners some respect from his own players...

Which is what primarily matters.

What's wrong with what the wide out said? Tebow is an option QB, not a pro style passer. The WR will get more balls thrown his way, it's not even debatable. Meyer's man crush on Tebow continues to sicken.

Urban wasn't so much worried about Tebow. He was defending a WR who got humiliated by a reporter over what he said about Tebow. Urban was pizzed because the WR's quote was taken deliberately out of context to generate controversy.

And I fully understand Urban's anger. When does it stop? Are his players open season for any beat reporter that comes along?

I think we all agree that the manner in which Urban handled the situation wasn't very good.

Regardless of what the reporter reported, it's not like he put words in his mouth.

Doesn't matter. Taking words out of context is a no-no for obvious reasons.

"WR calls Tebow GAY!!!" could mean one of two things in the proper context. Sure, the WR may have uttered those words, but if he meant "gay" as in "happy" then to write such a headline is intellectually dishonest. The reporter knows that the public will assume the unintended meaning, so it is essentially a lie.

C'mon badger, this is Writing 101.

Collier11
3/27/2010, 05:18 PM
Yep, Urban is gonna kick the Orlando Sentinal out

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5033522

Scott D
3/27/2010, 07:05 PM
He should extend his leave of absence if it's this easy to get sand in his vagina.

oumartin
3/27/2010, 07:27 PM
Urban is a p@ssy. He is a whiner and *********. don't worry about your health or family dipwad. Coach until you drop

ashley
3/27/2010, 07:48 PM
Lots of sports writers are total jerks and will do anything to sell papers.

Leroy Lizard
3/27/2010, 08:01 PM
Yep. But you can't overreact.

PLaw
3/27/2010, 08:39 PM
Saw the Meyer clip on day 1. First thought I had was the Gundy, "I'm a man, I'm 40". Meyer was boderline threatening which could be taken as verbal abuse.

Regarding the Stoops incident, I just can't every imagine Barry calling somebody out like that.

BOOMER

oudavid1
3/27/2010, 09:31 PM
lets put it this way, Michael Wilbon and Kevin Blackistone both agreed with me that Urban was 1) Wrong and 2) Owed an apology. Not one person has come out to defend Urban or refute what position i have taken, therefor i maintain that my opinions are more widely accepted and in a country where popularity rules, i feel arrogant but correct. IMO I just don't like threats, that's the only reason i feel passionate about this, its unprofessional and un-called for as well as down right rude. Bad example Urban, hes still a great coach and hopefully a good man.

Leroy Lizard
3/28/2010, 12:31 AM
lets put it this way, Michael Wilbon and Kevin Blackistone both agreed with me that Urvan was 1) Wrong and 2) Owed an apology. Not one person has come out to defend Urban or refute what position i have taken, therefor i maintain that my opinions are more widely accepted and in a country where popularity rules, i feel arrogant but correct. IMO I just don't like threats, that's the only reason i feel passionate about this, its unprofessional and un-called for as well as down right rude. Bad example Urban, hes still a great coach and hopefully a good man.

This is a professional writer?

Collier11
3/28/2010, 12:47 AM
lets put it this way, Michael Wilbon and Kevin Blackistone both agreed with me that Urvan was 1) Wrong and 2) Owed an apology. Not one person has come out to defend Urban or refute what position i have taken, therefor i maintain that my opinions are more widely accepted and in a country where popularity rules, i feel arrogant but correct. IMO I just don't like threats, that's the only reason i feel passionate about this, its unprofessional and un-called for as well as down right rude. Bad example Urban, hes still a great coach and hopefully a good man.

This is a professional writer?

Here, let me settle this little argument since I have answered both of these issues previously and I am right :D

The journalist was completely wrong by taking his quote out of context for the wow factor, the reason so many journalists are supporting him is because they are journalists and they dont think anyone should get mad at them for writing whatever they want to write.

Having said that, Urban has proven over time that he is an arrogant punk and the fact that he took it from being angry over the article to bringing up the possibility of violence took it from Urban being Urban to Urban being a complete Jerk and completely in the wrong.

oudavid1
3/28/2010, 01:36 AM
Here, let me settle this little argument since I have answered both of these issues previously and I am right :D

The journalist was completely wrong by taking his quote out of context for the wow factor, the reason so many journalists are supporting him is because they are journalists and they dont think anyone should get mad at them for writing whatever they want to write.

Having said that, Urban has proven over time that he is an arrogant punk and the fact that he took it from being angry over the article to bringing up the possibility of violence took it from Urban being Urban to Urban being a complete Jerk and completely in the wrong.

Im not trying to argue with Mr. Lizard, i just think Urban acted wrong and I dont think the quote was taken out of context IMHO.

Call me crazy, just don't call me -PK

Collier11
3/28/2010, 01:40 AM
you dont think it was out of context? Shortly after that quote the same WR mentioned how Tebow was one of the all time greats, why was that omitted? I think it is pretty clear that he meant to say a traditional QB instead of a real QB

Leroy Lizard
3/28/2010, 01:47 AM

I wasn't referring to the incident, but the prose used in the quoted material. It looks like something VY would write.

oudavid1
3/28/2010, 02:20 AM
the same WR mentioned how Tebow was one of the all time greats

What i dont get is why a sophomore WR that has yet-to-be productive is talking to the media.

badger
3/28/2010, 10:43 AM
What i dont get is why a sophomore WR that has yet-to-be productive is talking to the media.

:D He has probably lost his media talking privileges, but it can happen to anyone. I think Larry Birdine lost his privileges his final year here too.

RedstickSooner
3/29/2010, 10:16 AM
Im confused... what exactly did he do to the player that caused this reaction? "If that was my son, we'd be going at it right now."

The problem, is that this quote was also taken out of context. The full quote was:

"If that was my son, we'd be going at it right now. Because you're stupid, and I hate you, and your paper sucks, and you're kinda cute, and I hate you..."

Yes, I know, obscure reference. I can't even remember which comedian did that routine.

RedstickSooner
3/29/2010, 10:34 AM
Also, I think you can make a *very* strong case for this not being a mis-quote.

Claim what you want about what the kid would've preferred to say, had he been given time and coaching, what he *did* say sounded very, very much like a Freudian slip.

The new guy is a real quarterback -- not a quarterback who makes half his plays by being hard to tackle and largely indestructible.

Obviously the guy is going to follow it up with more praise for Tebow. However, when you have a player in the program saying something which a lot of analysts, fans, etc. have long been thinking and/or saying, is it so unreasonable to think that this particular miss-step might've been one which reflected the player's true thoughts?

You've an obligation to put things in context when the context is an obviously important part of the quote. If the full quote had been, "I don't think it's fair to sit here and say something like, 'Tebow isn't a real quarterback'", then yeah, running the quote, "Player says Tebow isn't a real quarterback" would be completely unacceptable.

But running a quote that is easily defensible as an insight into what the player(s) really feel? I don't have a problem with it at all.

The only problem I see here (and I'll admit, I haven't exactly delved deep -- I'm going based on what y'all have been arguing about here in the Soonerfans boards) is what he tweeted about to try to hype his article. That seems over the top because clearly that wasn't all the kid was trying to say, and while I think it's fine to report a Freudian slip, it's not fine to rub the kid's nose in it for making the slip.

Big Red Ron
3/29/2010, 12:34 PM
Which is what primarily matters.

Urban wasn't so much worried about Tebow. He was defending a WR who got humiliated by a reporter over what he said about Tebow. Urban was pizzed because the WR's quote was taken deliberately out of context to generate controversy.

And I fully understand Urban's anger. When does it stop? Are his players open season for any beat reporter that comes along?

I think we all agree that the manner in which Urban handled the situation wasn't very good.

Doesn't matter. Taking words out of context is a no-no for obvious reasons.

"WR calls Tebow GAY!!!" could mean one of two things in the proper context. Sure, the WR may have uttered those words, but if he meant "gay" as in "happy" then to write such a headline is intellectually dishonest. The reporter knows that the public will assume the unintended meaning, so it is essentially a lie.

C'mon badger, this is Writing 101.It wasn't taken out of context. C'mon leroy, it's just a case of the truth hurting.

SoonerAtKU
3/29/2010, 12:41 PM
I can't even remember which comedian did that routine.

Bobcat Goldthwait

Leroy Lizard
3/29/2010, 07:18 PM
Urban Meyer Admits to Homosexuality and Incest!!

It's true.

"If that was my son, we'd be going at it right now," Meyer said.

We all know what "going at it" means. And he said those words.

Context is EVERYTHING.

Edit: Since Urban is pretty buff, let me say that I was only JOKING to make a point.

Scott D
3/29/2010, 07:26 PM
have fun when he threatens you now Leroy.

GottaHavePride
3/29/2010, 08:04 PM
Does Urban Meyer like fish sticks?

Scott D
3/29/2010, 08:52 PM
bitch stole his fish sticks.

oudavid1
3/29/2010, 09:57 PM
If Urban Meyer threatened me, i would promise him the second swing -Michael Wilbon.....and yes i would be pissed. Even Bob said that to me, i would be pissed.

soonerboy_odanorth
3/30/2010, 08:37 AM
Urban sounds like a man struggling whether or not he wants to come out of the closet. He's gay. I mean, he is a homosexual. Some of those Tebow hugs were a little too close to a lip lock. And his looks towards Tebow were a little to "longing". Then there is the whole falling out of bed with such anxiety so that his wife sends him to the hospital. Sorry, but a man at peace with his wife seeks the bed with her as a refuge from the anxiety.

Ok. Maybe not gay... just struggling with a marriage gone bad.

Anyway, dude is messed up and I kind of feel bad for him. He's lashing out right now... seems he must be in quite a bit of personal pain.

soonerboy_odanorth
3/30/2010, 08:38 AM
P.S. Urban has to be one of the worst names EVAR.

XingTheRubicon
3/30/2010, 08:57 AM
Yep, Urban is gonna kick the Orlando Sentinal out

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5033522

First of all, try not to be so passionate concerning something you can't spell. Second, UF has already kicked the OS out before under Galen Hall.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2010, 10:21 AM
Urban sounds like a man struggling whether or not he wants to come out of the closet. He's gay. I mean, he is a homosexual. Some of those Tebow hugs were a little too close to a lip lock. And his looks towards Tebow were a little to "longing". Then there is the whole falling out of bed with such anxiety so that his wife sends him to the hospital. Sorry, but a man at peace with his wife seeks the bed with her as a refuge from the anxiety.

Ok. Maybe not gay... just struggling with a marriage gone bad.

Anyway, dude is messed up and I kind of feel bad for him. He's lashing out right now... seems he must be in quite a bit of personal pain.

Freud's got nothing on you.

NormanPride
3/30/2010, 12:22 PM
Urban's got stress and anger management issues. I think that's fairly obvious from his health and recent interviews. Also, that reporter sucks. Nothing wrong with the article per se, but the tweets were awful. Some reporters need to realize that other media should be just as formal as the newspaper and website.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2010, 01:36 PM
Agreed. As a professional writer, anything viewable by the public is formal writing and needs to look professional.

Collier11
3/30/2010, 02:01 PM
First of all, try not to be so passionate concerning something you can't spell. Second, UF has already kicked the OS out before under Galen Hall.

who is passionate about it, just making a point. 2nd, who gives a sh*t if I spelled it wrong, if thats all you got then dont even try

Jello Biafra
3/30/2010, 02:04 PM
Agreed. As a professional writer, anything viewable by the public is formal writing and needs to look professional.

what is a professional writer? now a days, they could just have some random d*ckhead writing stuff and posting it to a blog and he would be considered a "professional writer"

YOU for instance...

KantoSooner
3/30/2010, 02:06 PM
Other than the method of posting, what's changed?

XingTheRubicon
3/30/2010, 05:10 PM
who is passionate about it, just making a point. 2nd, who gives a sh*t if I spelled it wrong, if thats all you got then dont even try

I noticed you didn't address the whole "the gators will NEVER kick out the OS....EVER" quote of yours huh. You might want to read more and post less, especially new topics. Just a suggestion.

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2010, 06:28 PM
what is a professional writer? now a days, they could just have some random d*ckhead writing stuff and posting it to a blog and he would be considered a "professional writer"

YOU for instance...

Your entire life doesn't have to revolve around posting snide responses to my posts. Go outside and breath the fresh air. Sheesh!!

Collier11
3/30/2010, 07:13 PM
I noticed you didn't address the whole "the gators will NEVER kick out the OS....EVER" quote of yours huh. You might want to read more and post less, especially new topics. Just a suggestion.

Meyer apologized to the reporter who was supposedly so out of line, Florida didnt and wouldnt kick out the OS. Your attempt at sounding all smarty was a fail, im sorry your vagina is hurting today. Hopefully you wake up from your nap not so cwanky

XingTheRubicon
3/30/2010, 08:09 PM
someone that looks like you commenting on my "vagina" is pretty humorous

you said they would never, ever kick out the sentinel. they already have in the past, try to be wrong quieter

Collier11
3/30/2010, 08:31 PM
someone that looks like you commenting on my "vagina" is pretty humorous

this doesnt make sense for numerous reasons, the 1st of which being that you have never seen me, 2nd is, huh? if you are going to say stupid stuff atleast explain your dumb little quips...So lets see, are you saying I dont look like a vagina? Hmmm

you said they would never, ever kick out the sentinel. they already have in the past, try to be wrong quieter

im sorry its so easy for you to be confused, what does something happening in the 80s have to do with 2010 and Urban Meyer

XingTheRubicon
3/30/2010, 08:40 PM
wonder if the 80's are included in the term ever. I know you're trying your hardest, ranger...heh

Collier11
3/30/2010, 10:51 PM
you really shouldnt let your kids get on your computer, silly

Leroy Lizard
3/30/2010, 10:54 PM
Thread lockee time?

Collier11
3/30/2010, 10:55 PM
please

RedstickSooner
3/31/2010, 09:15 AM

YOU for instance...

I've always felt the litmus should be whether or not you submit your work to an editor.

(Something most bloggers would benefit from.)

Still, it's a challenging distinction these days.