PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Shores, AL v Englewood, FL?

ADs_Agent
3/25/2010, 09:06 AM
A group of friends and myself are making a trip to a beach house, we can either drive 13 hours to Gulf Shores or we can drive 20 to Englewood.

What does anyone know about either of these places?

Crucifax Autumn
3/25/2010, 09:11 AM
If it was me. I'd go on into Florida...I lived in Alabama for a year.

TUSooner
3/25/2010, 10:28 AM
I don't know about Englewood, but Gulf Shores is pretty good, although I hate, Hate, and HATE the fat sweaty noisy crowds around the big condos at nearby Orange Beach. It's not relaxing in the least. My favorite spot is Pensacola Beach. But then, I like to get away, kick back, and relax when I take my fat *** to the beach. If you're looking for sophomoric spring break action, I can't help you too much. :O (NTTAWWT :D )

ADs_Agent
3/25/2010, 10:37 AM
nah it's not like that. It's just 10 Christian 20-30 somethings heading out for 5 days to unwind and hang out.

I'm leaning more towards FLorida although it's about 8 hours longer.

swardboy
3/25/2010, 01:10 PM
Grayton Beach...east of Destin. Google 'vista dunes'

soonerboy_odanorth
3/25/2010, 01:30 PM
I second Pensacola Beach. Especially if you dig jet noise and the Blue Angels are at home and practicing. Plus, the U.S. Naval Air Museum there is really good if you need some time out of the sun.

As it is a Christian group I am guessing heavy drinking won't be involved. But if you can have 'a' drink or two... the Pensacola Bushwacker is teh allsome.

SoonerJack
3/25/2010, 02:03 PM
Destin is great. We've been to the Mainsail many times. Always fun.

SoonerInFla
3/26/2010, 01:24 AM
I've lived in the Pensacola area most of my life and would certainly recommend Pensacola Beach. That said, the Alabama beaches are really pretty much the same. If you're looking for a more secluded area try Perdido Key, Fl. I've suggested this to several friends that have found the growth at P'Beach to be just too much for them. Perdido is right by Gulf Shores and it is less developed than the Pensacola or Gulf Shores beaches. Plus, it's really close to Pensacola NAS. Get a house, not a condo.

TUSooner
3/26/2010, 06:25 PM
I've lived in the Pensacola area most of my life and would certainly recommend Pensacola Beach. That said, the Alabama beaches are really pretty much the same. If you're looking for a more secluded area try Perdido Key, Fl. I've suggested this to several friends that have found the growth at P'Beach to be just too much for them. Perdido is right by Gulf Shores and it is less developed than the Pensacola or Gulf Shores beaches. Plus, it's really close to Pensacola NAS. Get a house, not a condo.

Hear him!

Spray
3/27/2010, 09:11 PM
If you're going to Gulf Shores, but want to get away from the crowds, rent a hous on Fort Morgan Road. You'll definitely get a beautiful Gulf beach + a little seclusion.

PS- You need to rent about 8-10 miles down Ft. Morgan Road to get beachfront. You won't be sorry, and you'll save yourself the drive.

PPS- Not a big fan of Pensacola Beach myself, but the Perdido area is great.

OUinFLA
3/27/2010, 09:30 PM
FYI:
Englewood beach is quite small by comparison.
Very poor parking when crowded.
and right now, it is really crowded.
Some are paying the parking fine for parking on the bridge road and still walking the 1/2 - 1 mile to the beach area.

There are 3 public beaches in Englewood, one at the south end of Manasota Key, one at the middle and one at the North end. The South end has the most action, the others are even smaller with less parking available.

In reality, you can walk the 5 or so miles between any two beaches, however, there is NO public parking anywhere in between and the home owners have no problem calling the Man to come ticket you and have your car hauled away.

On the positive side, the area between any two public beaches is relativley deserted at any time of the day. Thus the high price of property with access to those areas. In between the public beaches there will be no available girls.

At this time of year, I would opt for saving the 8 hours of extra driving.

jthomasou78
3/28/2010, 09:14 AM
I have lived in Pensacola for the past 7 years. Gulf Shores is a little more developed and not quite as pretty as Pensacola Beach. I think you can find a place in Gulf Shores a little cheaper.

Pensacola Beach is 30 minutes away from Gulf Shores. With that many guys you should be able to get a house relatively cheap per person. Pensacola is 10 minutes from the beach lots of good places to eat relatviely close to the beach.

If you need any help or direction while your here shoot me a PM and I can help.