PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Mason-Griffin, Willis Won't Return in 2010-11

Jay C. Upchurch
3/24/2010, 10:25 AM
NORMAN -- Oklahoma men's basketball head coach Jeff Capel announced today that Tommy Mason-Griffin and Ray Willis will not return for the 2010-11 season. Meanwhile, guard Willie Warren has not yet decided what his next move will be.

"Tommy visited with his family over spring break last week and he informed me that he is going to pursue a professional basketball career," said Capel. "I thank him for his contributions this season and wish him success."

Mason-Griffin was a third-team All-Big 12 pick this year. The freshman point guard averaged 14.1 points and 5.0 assists in 35.7 minutes per game. He set OU freshman records for 3-pointers (70), 3-point percentage (.424), assists (154) and average minutes. In Big 12 play, Mason-Griffin ranked ninth in the league in scoring (16.9 ppg), fourth in assists (4.6 apg) and fourth in 3-point percentage (.430).

"Ray has expressed a desire to transfer," said Capel. "I wish him well, wish him luck and will do what I can to assist him in finding another school."

A sophomore, Willis played in 13 games this season and averaged 2.6 points and 2.2 rebounds in 12.2 minutes a contest. He shot .250 from the field and .316 from 3-point range. The 6-6 guard played in 16 games as a freshman and averaged 3.3 points and 1.4 rebounds.

Capel also said that Willie Warren -- OU's leading scorer this year (16.3 ppg) -- has not yet made a decision on whether to return or to pursue an NBA career.

OU SID Report

Boomer.....
3/24/2010, 01:26 PM
:(

Scott D
3/24/2010, 02:26 PM
I hope Tommy's ready for either Israel or the NDBL.

Collier11
3/24/2010, 02:31 PM
He will be in Europe playing, its gotta be a case where he just hates school that much because no one has him getting drafted...best of luck to the both of them

tulsaoilerfan
3/24/2010, 07:13 PM
Someone needs to start a thread about it ;)

sooner59
3/24/2010, 07:48 PM
I'm on it!

stoopified
3/25/2010, 05:09 AM
It looks like the fans who wanted to ditch this roster and start over are going to prevail. If Tiny is guilty of breaking NCAA rules he will be gone and WW is likely to head to the NBA.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/26/2010, 11:13 AM
just took a look at ray's facebook and TMG's...wow

C&CDean
3/26/2010, 01:54 PM
For those of us that don't facebook, what do they say?

Collier11
3/26/2010, 02:39 PM
a whole lot of bad grammar

Scott D
3/26/2010, 04:42 PM
forget the poor grammar, the lack of basic english skills is very disheartening. It's basically something that you'd expect from the hand of Vincent Young.

the_ouskull
3/28/2010, 06:06 PM
Precisely why it's good riddance. I'm a firm believer in having a recruit write a hand-written letter, explaining why we should recruit them. If they're not willing to do something like that, why would you want them in the first place? It means they either think they're too good to do it, in which case you don't want them... they're scared to do it 'cause they don't write well, in which case you MAY want them, as long as they're not the last type... scared to do it 'cause they know they don't write well, but they want to act pissed when you "find out" rather than ask for help... in which case you don't want them.

the_ouskull

GKeeper316
3/28/2010, 11:09 PM
He will be in Europe playing, its gotta be a case where he just hates school that much because no one has him getting drafted...best of luck to the both of them

from all accounts, dude never took a single book to class all year, and the only reason he bothered to go to class was to keep eligibility.

we're better off without him, and he might make it to the nba in 5 years after he matures.

SoonerStud615
3/29/2010, 12:30 AM
I'm a bit excited to see a broken down, prima donna-less team next year witha lot of heart and work ethic (hopefully). A team of Cade Davis types would be nice. :)

Collier11
3/29/2010, 12:34 AM
Im pretty excited about next yr as well, Id love for WW to come back to reclaim his reputation and I really am interested in our two freshmen

Leroy Lizard
3/29/2010, 01:19 AM
I'm a firm believer in having a recruit write a hand-written letter, explaining why we should recruit them.

Skull, you have it backwards. The entire recruiting process dictates that it is the coaches who must kiss ***. These athletes know it, so they're not going to write such a letter.

And how can we complain? We post thread after thread explaining why some 18-year-old is a "must have" recruit, and that we need to "pull out all the stops" to get him. When the recruit signs on, we act as if the NCAA just handed us a national title. If the recruit goes elsewhere, we act as if someone shot our favorite dog. (Horn fans become so devastated that they even talk about changing state laws to keep recruits from leaving the state.)

This is one of the reasons Bo Schembechler stated that he didn't miss coaching.

I have one partial solution: Ban freshmen from playing. With a full year to develop, there will be less pressure on coaches to bring in imbeciles as quick fixes. Then have the players take the Wonderlic-type test at the end of the first year -- if they can't score above a certain cut, no basketball.

Do it, and the brainless primadonnas will disappear or join the NBA (if they are really that good).

Collier11
3/29/2010, 01:27 AM
\

I have one partial solution: Ban freshmen from playing. With a full year to develop, there will be less pressure on coaches to bring in imbeciles as quick fixes. Then have the players take the Wonderlic-type test at the end of the first year -- if they can't score above a certain cut, no basketball.

Do it, and the brainless primadonnas will disappear or join the NBA (if they are really that good).

yea they tried this and it will never happen, the coaches make to much money and the schools bring in too much money to not play the superstars

Leroy Lizard
3/29/2010, 01:35 AM
Then I don't feel sorry for coaches or fans one lick. If they're not willing to sacrifice to make it right, screw 'em!

the_ouskull
3/29/2010, 09:22 AM
Skull, you have it backwards. The entire recruiting process dictates that it is the coaches who must kiss ***. These athletes know it, so they're not going to write such a letter.

The entire courtship process implies that, the nicer you are to women, the more likely you are to "enjoy their favors," too, yet, how often do the ladies (and guys) complain about them being with some *sshole? Maybe turning that sh*t on its side is exactly what is needed. Trust me. I know recruits. I KNOW what the reaction would be to such a request. "Write a letter? Who do you think I am?" Once again, that is exactly why I'd ask. I mean, it's better to find out BEFORE they're wearing your school's jersey that you're dealing with a p*ssy, right? "His mental toughness hang like sleeve of wizard."

And how can we complain? We post thread after thread explaining why some 18-year-old is a "must have" recruit, and that we need to "pull out all the stops" to get him. When the recruit signs on, we act as if the NCAA just handed us a national title. If the recruit goes elsewhere, we act as if someone shot our favorite dog. (Horn fans become so devastated that they even talk about changing state laws to keep recruits from leaving the state.)

Agreed. You'll notice that, unless there's a direct connection, I don't follow a lot of recruiting anymore. Once a guy signs, then I'll "get into him" so to speak. (Videos, etc...) Until then, I just don't care. As far as I'm concerned, until they're a Sooner, they're an *sshole. (But, as we saw this season, wearing crimson may not fix THAT condition either...)

I have one partial solution: Ban freshmen from playing.

Never happen. Too many people have found that they can make too much money and come with too much hype over recruiting. It's tainted now, too. Besides, they tried that moons ago. Why do you think Lew Alcindor was only a three-time All-American...? Lol.

the_ouskull

Leroy Lizard
3/29/2010, 03:15 PM
Put yourself in the shoes of a recruit.

"U need me, and u now it. Without players like me, ur nuthin. I can go anywhere I want, so it is U that needs to convins me to choos ur program. U be acting as if u be doin me some huge ****'in faver by offering me a skolership, but the last time I look u make over a million dollers a year and ur not going to pay me squat. So who is doing who the faver here?"

I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment, but I understand it.

bill1374
3/29/2010, 11:27 PM
You do not have to sign one and done kids, or kids with bad character in order to win. Look at Duke... As far as the OU situation, until TMG got to OU he had never had to do his own school work and from what I know his decision to leave was because of the school side of things. Had he stayed another year, it is very likely that he would not have been eligible anyways. Ray Willis thinks he is god's gift to the earth and literally never stops moving his mouth about how great of a basketball player he is. Willis has talent when it comes to scoring the ball, but during his time with the progam he never bought into the "do what is best for the team" aspect. I still think Tiny Gallon has a chance to be a special player at OU and I do believe he will buy into Capel's way. I also feel this way about Willie Warren, especially if he comes back and has the chance to run the point. One season of good team basketball could make Willie a top 8 or 10 pick. That being said, I will be surprised to see either Gallon or Warren back for another season.