PDA

View Full Version : TMG appears to be gone

CaliBornSoonerBred
3/23/2010, 10:08 PM
He posted this on facebook earlier tonight. I think an espn twitter account shows it as well. Quite eloquent with his speech I must say.

TMG posted:

Tommy Mason Griffin i leave skool early and gettin nothin but negative press...nobody wants so see yue make it...wat happen to helpin a nigga from da hood

Tommy Mason Griffin on a mission...its a official dat i am leavin skool and enterin draft so if yue see me and ask me y i aint doin anotha yr yue mite get ignored

NorthernIowaSooner
3/23/2010, 10:15 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140586

he needs another year of school to learn how to spell

Ruf/Nek7
3/23/2010, 10:18 PM
I hope he falls right out of the draft....hey maybe we should retire his number! I give Capel, tops, 2 more years then i say send him on his way and bring in Brad Stevens from Butler!!!!

Eielson
3/23/2010, 10:42 PM
I'm going to do something nobody else on this board seems to want to do, and wish him luck. It's disappointing, and probably not the right move, but he was a Sooner and he didn't quit on us. He just moved on after the season. He probably played harder than anybody we had other than Crocker and Davis. TMG was not our problem this year.

Sooner98
3/23/2010, 10:51 PM
He posted this on facebook earlier tonight. I think an espn twitter account shows it as well. Quite eloquent with his speech I must say.

TMG posted:

Tommy Mason Griffin i leave skool early and gettin nothin but negative press...nobody wants so see yue make it...wat happen to helpin a nigga from da hood

Tommy Mason Griffin on a mission...its a official dat i am leavin skool and enterin draft so if yue see me and ask me y i aint doin anotha yr yue mite get ignored

Sounds like the kind of kid that we need to recruit more of.

rawlingsHOH
3/23/2010, 11:15 PM
i wonder if hecan he spell unndrafdid?

Collier11
3/23/2010, 11:22 PM
He is either getting really really bad advice or he is highly delusional...see ya in Europe

Sooner04
3/23/2010, 11:46 PM
Honest question for TMG or vet, is it easier to intentionally misspell the word?

bri
3/24/2010, 12:49 AM
I'm going to do something nobody else on this board seems to want to do, and wish him luck. It's disappointing, and probably not the right move, but he was a Sooner and he didn't quit on us. He just moved on after the season. He probably played harder than anybody we had other than Crocker and Davis. TMG was not our problem this year.

THIS.

I really wish things had worked out for Tommy here. I like the kid; he was fun to work with during the shoot for the intro video and he was a lone bright spot a lot of games. Good luck, TMG.

Collier11
3/24/2010, 01:02 AM
I dont wish the guy anything other than greatness, I just dont see it...atleast not yet

OUbasketball4life
3/24/2010, 05:22 AM
While I do not agree with TMG's decision, it's not my choice nor is it my life. I appreciate him running the point guard position this year and all the minutes that he had to play after WW went down. I would have HOPED that TMG knows that people pay attention to his facebook page and declaring for the draft with statements like that is really going to help him.

I like Coach Capel and I really believe that if there was a job open that was worth something this year it's not a doubt in my mind he would bolt, especially after this year. I think this has been huge learning lesson for Coach Capel this year as far as recruiting, handling his team, and I think he is going to start to put more into his decisions of who he offers and how he is going to coach them. Maybe he'll start looking for more kids like Crock and Davis who are actually coming to the University to play for OU and to get an education, and not have the "what's in it for me" attitude. Since Capel has been here he has recruited a lot of talent but for whatever reason it just hadn't worked out. Maybe because of the perception that he's a "players coach" and the kids get upset whenever Capel gets on to them for not doing something correct? I have no idea I'm not in the locker room, just fan speculation.

With all that being said it has been a frustrating year for me as fan with all the negativity going around locally I can't help but imagine other people outside of Oklahoma's perception of OUs basketball program right now. I'm hoping that this is a bump and the road and things can get back on track. I'll end by saying best of luck to TMG and Willis. No official word yet on Tiny or WW but I also wish them the best in whatever decision they make.

...sooner
3/24/2010, 07:56 AM
how in the world does he think hes going to get drafted?! is he on ANY draft sites?

MojoRisen
3/24/2010, 08:03 AM

If you recruit properly, we don't have to think backwards. These are kids and the bottom line is you want the ones that may stick around a bit. I have no issues with TMG- I just don't think he is that good.

Potential -

soonervegas
3/24/2010, 08:12 AM
Thus progrum is un absoult desastr.

birddog
3/24/2010, 08:42 AM
colledge isn't for everyone. you have to learn how to manage skanky chicks, fancy book learnins and basketball. all in one afternoon!

MojoRisen
3/24/2010, 08:46 AM
Yeah but you got 3 squares and all the ice cream you can eat! College is an all you can eat buffet, maybe you can pick up a book after getting used to the environment for a minute..

rawlingsHOH
3/24/2010, 09:00 AM
Honest question for TMG or vet, is it easier to intentionally misspell the word?

good question... it's one thing to abbreviate the word "you" by simply using "u"... but to go out of one's way to spell it "yue", is quite frankly moronic...

soonerfan28
3/24/2010, 09:16 AM
I don't see him playing basketball next year anywhere but the D-league or overseas. I doubt he's getting this info from anywhere other than his entourage. An agent would be stupid to encourage him to leave right now. You won't make anything off of the kid. If he doesn't hire an agent can't he come back? I know he would have to get caught up on academics and from the 1st post on here that looks like it would take some real work.

NormanPride
3/24/2010, 09:46 AM
Dammit. I really liked TMG, and I don't think he's ready.

Pigface1
3/24/2010, 10:49 AM
I enjoyed watching him play and he always played hard. That's something you can't say about a lot of the players on this year's roster.

With that said, I hope he brushes up on his Italian in prep for next year.

- Cracker from the 'burb

soonerfan28
3/24/2010, 10:49 AM
Is it time to get in on some Juco talent? Ricardo Ratliffe and Andre Clark are still available although it doesn't appear that Clarke has any offers. Maybe thats due to academics b/c he is one of the top Juco's this year. I'm sure we'll need a point from this class unless Capel plans on using Pledger who is more of a 2 than a 1. JMO.

soonerboy_odanorth
3/24/2010, 12:03 PM
Bwahahahahahahahaaaa...

You dumb cluck, TMG. Don't let the door hit you in the ***... you "n**** from da hood."

Can't wait to see these chumps (Gallon, Willis, and Warren, too) on their Huntsville, McAlester, Folsom, Shawshank barnstorming tour. What a bunch of POS.

We made fun of VY's wonderlic score.... I wonder what these gee-nee-ooses would score.

I put the over under at 2 on the number out of this group of four that cannot even spell their own names correctly.

This is why I don't watch men's college basketball. With very little exception, there's no "college" to it among the major conferences.

(P.S. Dear Joe C: Fire Capel now! That is, if we don't get the death penalty in men's basketball for lack of institutional control.)

Collier11
3/24/2010, 12:07 PM
how in the world does he think hes going to get drafted?! is he on ANY draft sites?

nope

...sooner
3/24/2010, 12:20 PM
EVERYONE is talking about it everywhere. hes making himself look like a complete fool. selfish is what he is.

OSUAggie
3/24/2010, 01:01 PM
and he always played hard.

Apparently your tv only shows 1 side of the court.

C&CDean
3/24/2010, 01:58 PM
You know I hate it when I have to agree with a sheep humper.

Pigface1
3/24/2010, 03:33 PM

Well, it's all relative. He played hard. . . compared to most of the team. lol

Sooner04
3/24/2010, 03:49 PM
I've been watching OU BBall since I was in the womb, and Mason-Griffin was the worst defensive point guard I've ever seen at OU. The simplest of crossovers would give you room to do the Charleston and the Moonwalk at the same time if Mason-Griffin was on you.

A very good offensive player, but as bad a defender as one could ever imagine.

Collier11
3/24/2010, 04:14 PM
Well, it's all relative. He played hard. . . compared to most of the team. lol

wrong

I've been watching OU BBall since I was in the womb, and Mason-Griffin was the worst defensive point guard I've ever seen at OU. The simplest of crossovers would give you room to do the Charleston and the Moonwalk at the same time if Mason-Griffin was on you.

A very good offensive player, but as bad a defender as one could ever imagine.

I know alot of you dont like the SA but Eshbach does talk to alot of coaches and does have inside sources and he just got done saying what 04 said, worst def PG he has ever seen at OU, said he constantly griped and was lazy about D, said TMG was the attitude issue at OU, not WW. Said that comment that Capel made about how if he called one guy on the team the best player, other guys would whine about it was mainly directed at TMG. The more the story comes out it appears that TMG was a cancer and it is best he is gone

Collier11
3/24/2010, 04:15 PM
and for the record, he did say WW had attitude issues but they werent the cancerous type that TMG had. His were more frustration issues

Ruf/Nek7
3/24/2010, 07:04 PM
truth is, he couldnt handle Capel's rugged approach to things and wants to play "his" game and not Capel's. He even admitted to adjusting to a harder way of things. Not very promising if you ask me.

soonerboy_odanorth
3/24/2010, 10:34 PM
truth is, he couldnt handle Capel's rugged approach to things and wants to play "his" game and not Capel's. He even admitted to adjusting to a harder way of things. Not very promising if you ask me.

You young guys are so cute. Really. What I mean is you believe in the possibility of anything! "Not very promising".... Heh! This is good... I don't mean it as a slam.

But, uhhh, it is, in reality, far short of promising.

For example:

This solar system supports the only ecosystem that we know of that supports life.

The next nearest as far as we can tell is like 30,000,000 light years away.

That we will actually have the chance of exploring that life 30,000,000 light years away?.... Not very promising.

TMG is maybe the most deluded athlete-not-student to come through OU in any sport since Marcus Dupree.

I say again:

Fire Capel. Not that he can't coach the floor. Not that he lost the team.

That he couldn't recruit a core of guys to balance one or two "McDonald's All-Americans" who cannot spell their own names.

I gotta tell ya, I would welcome the NCAA death penalty at this point. Put the horse down and regroup in two years.

OUstud
3/25/2010, 01:23 AM
I gotta tell ya, I would welcome the NCAA death penalty at this point. Put the horse down and regroup in two years.

lol. Come on, it isn't THAT bad. We ain't Baylor 2003, for example. If our new guys come in with fire, and our returning guys have something to prove...yeah, those are 2 big if's, but I could see a run at 8-8 next year in conference, giving us momentum moving forward.

Collier11
3/25/2010, 01:34 AM
great thing about next year I suppose is we hope for NIT and anything better is icing on the cake :D

btk108
3/25/2010, 02:05 AM
You young guys are so cute. Really. What I mean is you believe in the possibility of anything! "Not very promising".... Heh! This is good... I don't mean it as a slam.

But, uhhh, it is, in reality, far short of promising.

For example:

This solar system supports the only ecosystem that we know of that supports life.

The next nearest as far as we can tell is like 30,000,000 light years away.

That we will actually have the chance of exploring that life 30,000,000 light years away?.... Not very promising.

TMG is maybe the most deluded athlete-not-student to come through OU in any sport since Marcus Dupree.

I say again:

Fire Capel. Not that he can't coach the floor. Not that he lost the team.

That he couldn't recruit a core of guys to balance one or two "McDonald's All-Americans" who cannot spell their own names.

Don't make me neg you. Fire Capel? No way....this guy is going to be a genius in time. He's young, he thought if you surrounded yourself with superstars, good things will happen. He forgot there is no "I" in team...which is pretty much what he got. I'm betting after Northern Iowa took down Kansas he knows you DON"T have to have the Prima Dona's and put up with their crap! Give me 5 guys with the heart of Cade Davis and I'll take them anytime over anyone.

Death penalty? Are you freaking kidding me? Are you on the "Fire Venables" bandwagon, too?

You're from the east, I bet the teams back that way would love to have Capel. Take a deep breath, don't put a bullet in the head of a suffering team, they'll be back with a fury.

soonerboy_odanorth
3/25/2010, 01:22 PM
Don't make me neg you. Fire Capel? No way....this guy is going to be a genius in time. He's young, he thought if you surrounded yourself with superstars, good things will happen. He forgot there is no "I" in team...which is pretty much what he got. I'm betting after Northern Iowa took down Kansas he knows you DON"T have to have the Prima Dona's and put up with their crap! Give me 5 guys with the heart of Cade Davis and I'll take them anytime over anyone.

Death penalty? Are you freaking kidding me? Are you on the "Fire Venables" bandwagon, too?

You're from the east, I bet the teams back that way would love to have Capel. Take a deep breath, don't put a bullet in the head of a suffering team, they'll be back with a fury.

Actually, I am in no way a fire Venables or Wilson guy. I like our football staff. But Capel's team has run amock. Out... of... control. And if the NCAA digs around and finds out these dudes have plenty of "walkin' 'round town" money that they didn't earn and that the university wasn't policing the way they should... well that's lack of institutional control.

You can neg me... I really don't like basketball and am pretty much talking out my arse. I just REALLY don't like the embarassments to the Athletic Department and University.

But I have to crack on you a little bit....

Take a globe out much? Minnesota is not "east". Just get on northbound I-35 and drive for about 11 hours and you might come to that realization.

And I am an Oklahoman by birth, upbringing, and the Grace of God... so you call me an easterner (paraphrasing) again I'm-a gonna woodshed you good. I'll march your *** back to the treeline behind the stadium like my dad did once and let you pick out your own switch. You hear me boy? ;)

Collier11
3/25/2010, 01:25 PM
actually if the players were taking money from an agent that is not related to the university that is the farthest thing from LOIC, the players would have to pay back the money and serve a suspension and then they would be eligible again. School is only at fault if it is a booster, coach, someone related to the University

bluedogok
3/25/2010, 05:12 PM
actually if the players were taking money from an agent that is not related to the university that is the farthest thing from LOIC, the players would have to pay back the money and serve a suspension and then they would be eligible again. School is only at fault if it is a booster, coach, someone related to the University
If it was proven they took money.....kick them off the team and let them find somewhere else to play. No second chances for that type of action which they ALL know in a clear cut way that is against the rules of the NCAA. I don't care what their excuse is, it isn't good enough.

Right now I hope they all leave, the malcontent type players need to be gone. As I stated in another thread, the "one and done rule" hurts college basketball more than it helps it. Either let high schoolers who have no interest in college try and go pro or make them live under rules similar to the baseball draft. Right now the current rules are an abject failure.

soonerboy_odanorth
4/9/2010, 01:35 PM

I meant to respond last week... if the players were taking money from an outside agent and someone at the university was suspicious and/or knew about it and it wasn't investigated, then that is exactly LOIC, actually.

Don't know if you read Trotter's blog, but there looks like there is now a smoking gun.

Folks, get ready to kiss you men's basketball program BUH-BYE for a couple of years.

badger
4/9/2010, 01:38 PM

:mad: Serious face... serious face...

:D Ok, that was actually a good one, aggie.

has TMG signed with an agent, or is there a hope and prayer that he doesn't end up in Lithuania?

Collier11
4/9/2010, 01:42 PM
If it was proven they took money.....kick them off the team and let them find somewhere else to play. No second chances for that type of action which they ALL know in a clear cut way that is against the rules of the NCAA. I don't care what their excuse is, it isn't good enough.

Right now I hope they all leave, the malcontent type players need to be gone. As I stated in another thread, the "one and done rule" hurts college basketball more than it helps it. Either let high schoolers who have no interest in college try and go pro or make them live under rules similar to the baseball draft. Right now the current rules are an abject failure.

Thinking on it more and more, Id probably agree

I meant to respond last week... if the players were taking money from an outside agent and someone at the university was suspicious and/or knew about it and it wasn't investigated, then that is exactly LOIC, actually.

Don't know if you read Trotter's blog, but there looks like there is now a smoking gun.

Folks, get ready to kiss you men's basketball program BUH-BYE for a couple of years.

Is that why the assistant is gone now?

soonerboy_odanorth
4/9/2010, 05:23 PM
Thinking on it more and more, Id probably agree

Is that why the assistant is gone now?

That's what I am inferring for the time being. There's a lot of smoke around that fire now. Even though he's been dismissed, if it bears out that the asst. coach in question knew about it, or more importantly facilitated it, and it has gone on for some time and/or can be shown to be an inducement for recruiting these "McDonald's All-Americans", OU could be in deep doo-doo.

Frankly, if that speculation bears out, I'm all in favor of shutting it down for a year or two until they get their sh*t together.

soonerboy_odanorth
4/9/2010, 05:32 PM
P.S. If Capel had any honor, he'd resign. This is all happening on his watch, and it isn't acceptable by any standard... i.e. winning/losing, graduating players, "doing things the right way"... In short, it's a mess. Four years is enough time in any business to prove whether or not you have the right stuff, or are even competent. That we're "just not sure" at this point is indictment enough. It shouldn't be a question. He either does or doesn't. And I think it is pretty clear he does not.

badger
1/4/2011, 03:36 PM
I have been asking for months what happened to TMG and I finally get the answer:

Cut by D-League (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110104_92_0_Former734352)

If you're wondering about Tiny, he's still in Idaho.

NP and I were arguing last night about whether Capel caused our program's destruction. I brought up the fact that he was a good recruiter and brought in All-Americans and then NP is all like "And look what happened when they got here."

So, I'm all like, "Doesn't part of that fall on the players?" and mentioned how impressed we were with Tiny in the McD AA game and the same for TMG... to which NP responds "Then doesn't that make Capel look even worse, that they were good till they got here?"

<sigh> another argument I have to yield to NP.

Boomer.....
1/4/2011, 03:46 PM
What a waste.

...sooner
1/4/2011, 04:21 PM
I have been asking for months what happened to TMG and I finally get the answer:

Cut by D-League (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110104_92_0_Former734352)

If you're wondering about Tiny, he's still in Idaho.

NP and I were arguing last night about whether Capel caused our program's destruction. I brought up the fact that he was a good recruiter and brought in All-Americans and then NP is all like "And look what happened when they got here."

So, I'm all like, "Doesn't part of that fall on the players?" and mentioned how impressed we were with Tiny in the McD AA game and the same for TMG... to which NP responds "Then doesn't that make Capel look even worse, that they were good till they got here?"

<sigh> another argument I have to yield to NP.

-they need to get rid of the one & done rule cause i bet TMG & tiny would have played a heck of a lot better last year. & tiny had his good moments... when scouts were in the crowd..................

Mad Dog Madsen
1/4/2011, 04:26 PM
If you're wondering about Tiny, he's still in Idaho..

TMG should just give up basketball all together. What a freakin waste. ...Tiny seems to be making the best of his situation. I actually watched him play on NBA-TV a couple of weeks ago. Played pretty good. I don't remember him being in Idaho though? He's on the Maine Red Claws team now.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/tiny_gallon/index.html

OUbasketball4life
1/4/2011, 08:26 PM
How the hell do you think you're ready for the NBA and get cut by the D-League. The sport is getting so saturated with young guys that just want the NBA lifestyle and no longer have love or respect for the game. Sad

King Barry's Back
1/4/2011, 10:40 PM
How the hell do you think you're ready for the NBA and get cut by the D-League. The sport is getting so saturated with young guys that just want the NBA lifestyle and no longer have love or respect for the game. Sad

I just have no interest in the current NBA, even with a team in OKC, and my interest in college ball continues to drain away. "One and done" has been a disaster and has just exacerbated a lot of bad trends in the sport.

odanorth -- I know your posts were a while ago, but if OU hoops gets the death penalty, be careful what you wish for.

Just consider that that would mean the resignation of Joe C and a massive realignment w/i the Ath Dept. New instutional controls, raging national scandal. It might mean the retirement of Boren as well. Everyone associated with OU would get splashed by the s**t, and face a new heightened level of scrutiny from the NCAA and the media, and righfully so.

And if all that happens, does Bob Stoops want to stick around?

badger
1/4/2011, 10:42 PM
TMG should just give up basketball all together. What a freakin waste. ...Tiny seems to be making the best of his situation. I actually watched him play on NBA-TV a couple of weeks ago. Played pretty good. I don't remember him being in Idaho though? He's on the Maine Red Claws team now.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/tiny_gallon/index.html

You're probably right - he was probably just playing the Idaho team or something. In any event, he's D-leaguer

sperry
1/4/2011, 11:54 PM
I don't think TMG was welcome to return to the team, so while he should have considered going to a small school instead of "going pro", he was done here at OU regardless.

picasso
1/5/2011, 01:19 AM
I just have no interest in the current NBA, even with a team in OKC, and my interest in college ball continues to drain away. "One and done" has been a disaster and has just exacerbated a lot of bad trends in the sport.

odanorth -- I know your posts were a while ago, but if OU hoops gets the death penalty, be careful what you wish for.

Just consider that that would mean the resignation of Joe C and a massive realignment w/i the Ath Dept. New instutional controls, raging national scandal. It might mean the retirement of Boren as well. Everyone associated with OU would get splashed by the s**t, and face a new heightened level of scrutiny from the NCAA and the media, and righfully so.

And if all that happens, does Bob Stoops want to stick around?

Amen! The NBA has been dead to me for 15 years.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/5/2011, 06:38 AM
Do you think TMG even attended one class in the spring semester last year?

One and done is a disaster. I don't know if baseball is still this way, but it used to be you get drafted out of high school and can either sign then or go to school. But if you enroll in school, you weren't eligible for the draft again for 3 years. I like that system. If these guys don't want to go to school, they can work their way up through the D league.

sooner518
1/5/2011, 08:44 AM
over/under on how long it will be until he is arrested? 5 years?

OUmillenium
1/6/2011, 09:41 AM
Amen! The NBA has been dead to me for 15 years.

I'll see your 15 and raise to 20.

OUmillenium
1/6/2011, 09:43 AM
Do you think TMG even attended one class in the spring semester last year?

One and done is a disaster. I don't know if baseball is still this way, but it used to be you get drafted out of high school and can either sign then or go to school. But if you enroll in school, you weren't eligible for the draft again for 3 years. I like that system. If these guys don't want to go to school, they can work their way up through the D league.

Baseball is still the same. Although, you can leave at anytime if you attend JC.

Sooners78
1/10/2011, 10:01 AM
I'll see your 15 and raise to 20.

Same here. I enjoyed watching Bird's Celtics battle with Magic's Lakers. The 89-90 Pistons team was also fun to watch. Since then, I don't even consider it a legitimate sport.

Pigface1
1/18/2011, 05:20 PM
-they need to get rid of the one & done rule cause i bet TMG & tiny would have played a heck of a lot better last year. & tiny had his good moments... when scouts were in the crowd..................

They're both at the bottom of the barrel and didn't do squat last year, either. They should both be better this year.

I agree the 1 and done rule stinks. It would be nice if players stuck with teams for 3-4 years and actually learned something.