PDA

View Full Version : adoption

PDXsooner
3/23/2010, 04:26 PM
has anyone on here adopted, or were you adopted? or would you ever consider adoption? my wife and i are considering adopting (we have 2 of our own). we are thinking ethiopia. just wondered if anyone has an experience they'd be willing to share.

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 04:29 PM
the only thing i can say...(if you are serious because this is a serious matter) is stay the f*CK out of oklahoma...DHS is a fuggin nightmare here. without going too deep into it, they have screwed up lives of more than a half dozen kids that i know of...

PDXsooner
3/23/2010, 04:44 PM
the only thing i can say...(if you are serious because this is a serious matter) is stay the f*CK out of oklahoma...DHS is a fuggin nightmare here. without going too deep into it, they have screwed up lives of more than a half dozen kids that i know of...

very serious. adopting within the US seems to be a much bigger pain in the ***, not to mention much more expensive.

NormanPride
3/23/2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah, PM Phil. His kids are awesome.

PDXsooner
3/23/2010, 04:49 PM
cool, will do.

Phil
3/23/2010, 05:25 PM
Yeah - PM me. I can give lotsa advice on that. And, yes, DHS in Oklahoma is mega screwed up. That said, the two we adopted from DHS, we picked up from the hospital two days after birth, so the state never had a chance to screw them up. When they tried, we beat them in court.

Soonerchaz
3/24/2010, 01:35 PM
We've adopted from S. Korea and Vietnam. Both where amazing experiences. Feel free to PM me anytime.

C&CDean
3/24/2010, 01:51 PM
I have a lot of respect for folks who adopt. Hell, I can't ****ing stand my own kids and they're mine. I couldn't imagine raising someone elses baby. Well I could the babies, but eventually the evolve into teenagers/young adults who pretty much ain't worth killin'.

85Sooner
3/24/2010, 01:55 PM
I'll pay for the one way trip to ethiopia for you if you like.;)

OUMallen
3/24/2010, 01:57 PM
I'm a cabbage patch kid. The wait time might be longer, but there are some great agencies out there. This is the one my folks used to buy me: http://adoptionsbygladney.com/

Sooner in Tampa
3/25/2010, 05:49 AM
My wife I adopted our niece when she was 8...she will turn 23 this yr. Our experience was nothing but positive.

On a side not, I always wonder when people say they are going to adopt children...why do they feel the need to adopt children from other countries? The number of children that could adopted domestically is astounding. I seriously don't understand it...I mean it is awesome to be that selfless, but why not be selfless with 'merican kiddos?

Crucifax Autumn
3/25/2010, 05:53 AM
I think it's probably the American beurocracy, not a lack of desire to adopt American kids.

yermom
3/25/2010, 07:50 AM
yeah, the waiting lists are shorter. just don't let Angelina get wind of it :D

seriously though, non 'merican kids probably need it more, but also, everyone wants a baby... if you were looking for older kids, it probably shortens your wait as well

Soonerchaz
3/25/2010, 10:33 AM
My wife I adopted our niece when she was 8...she will turn 23 this yr. Our experience was nothing but positive.

On a side not, I always wonder when people say they are going to adopt children...why do they feel the need to adopt children from other countries? The number of children that could adopted domestically is astounding. I seriously don't understand it...I mean it is awesome to be that selfless, but why not be selfless with 'merican kiddos?

We never felt the need to adopt internationally. We did look into domestic adoption...but for reasons private to us we felt more comfortable going the international route. All kids deserve a family...it makes no difference whatsoever where they are born.

C&CDean
3/25/2010, 11:52 AM

Personally I think it's a mix of American arrogance and the knight in shining armor syndrome.

We always think we can give some poor little **** from Biafra a better life because it IS better in America, and we always want to be rescuing those in bad situations. I also believe there are some folks who adopt foreign kids because they're novelty pieces. "Oh look at that lily-white couple with the black kid, isn't that cute?..."

My Opinion Matters
3/25/2010, 11:56 AM
I think some people might just like kids.

Soonerchaz
3/25/2010, 12:14 PM
Personally I think it's a mix of American arrogance and the knight in shining armor syndrome.

We always think we can give some poor little **** from Biafra a better life because it IS better in America, and we always want to be rescuing those in bad situations. I also believe there are some folks who adopt foreign kids because they're novelty pieces. "Oh look at that lily-white couple with the black kid, isn't that cute?..."

I'm sure that happens...but I would suspect its in the vast minority. We know and are friends with dozens upon dozens of adoptive families. Never once have I had the impression that these families adopted out of a sense of fashion or novelty.

When we brought our daughter home over 6 years ago and our son 3 years late...people used to (and still do) tell us that they are so lucky. I appreciate the sentiment and I know its coming from their heart...but quite frankly my wife and I are the lucky ones.

Sooner in Tampa
3/25/2010, 12:58 PM

I think you are right Dean...

Again, it is very selfless to adopt childred, I just don't understand WHY it is MORE selfless to adopt foreign kids

Sooner in Tampa
3/25/2010, 12:58 PM
All kids deserve a family...it makes no difference whatsoever where they are born.
No argument from me

Collier11
3/25/2010, 04:19 PM
I adopted my cat and my dog from 2nd chance, good experiences both times

sooner n houston
3/26/2010, 09:52 AM
I was adopted, 47 years ago from the Baptist childrens home in OKC. I was 8.

C&CDean
3/26/2010, 01:17 PM
I was adopted, 47 years ago from the Baptist childrens home in OKC. I was 8.

You ever get to see/meet your biological parents?

PDXsooner
3/27/2010, 02:36 PM

good question...a couple of reasons in our case:

1- I don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about who is more in need, a kid that needs a home is a kid that needs a home, regardless where they're from.

2- Going through the state involves a ton of red tape, including the possibility of having foster kids before you adopt. We already have 2 kids aren't aren't really in a position to go through that. I've heard countless stories of having to battle family members in the courts for custody, etc.

3- Going through a private adoption organization in the US in extremely expensive. Cost-prohibitive in our case.

4- There are 5 million orphans in Ethiopia that need a home. I'm under no illusion that being raised as an American is superior, nor do I have any religious motives. We just think having a loving family vs. being raised in an orphanage is a better option.

Soonerchaz
3/28/2010, 07:07 AM
good question...a couple of reasons in our case:

1- I don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about who is more in need, a kid that needs a home is a kid that needs a home, regardless where they're from.

2- Going through the state involves a ton of red tape, including the possibility of having foster kids before you adopt. We already have 2 kids aren't aren't really in a position to go through that. I've heard countless stories of having to battle family members in the courts for custody, etc.

3- Going through a private adoption organization in the US in extremely expensive. Cost-prohibitive in our case.

4- There are 5 million orphans in Ethiopia that need a home. I'm under no illusion that being raised as an American is superior, nor do I have any religious motives. We just think having a loving family vs. being raised in an orphanage is a better option.

Good stuff PDX.

Both our adoptions went quite smoothly...but when you're dealing with 2 governments...red tape can appear. Our attitude during both was "flex or die"...you have to be patient.

And I'm extremely grateful that I live in a city with a world class adoption agency (Dillon Intl).

jthomasou78
3/28/2010, 09:10 AM
My wife and I are looking into adoption seriously. We have tried numerous infertility treatments, and it doesn't look like it is going to happen for us.

I would prefer to adopt domestically, but unfortunately it seems like it has become a buisness. I dont mean to sound condescending or disrespectful but there is a demand for healthy white babies, and when there is a supply issue there is someone who will try to make money on it.

However, it seems like these same ideas are making there way internationally. You used to be able to adopt from China or Russia realtively easily but not anymore. So I dont know what we are going to do.

Maybe put an ad in the pennysaver.