PDA

View Full Version : A look at Capel's recruiting...

NormanPride
3/23/2010, 04:15 PM
2007:
Beau Gerber - Well, he played some...
Keith "Moose" Clark - God love him, just not quite bright enough to make it
Tony Crocker - Great defender, frustrating on offense, apparently some character issues before this last season? Kelvin recruited him, though.
Bobby Maze - Runnoft

2008:
Blake Griffin - What can you say? He was amazing, but I think having Taylor pretty much sealed him for us
Tony Neysmith - Who?
Cade Davis - Lovable hustle guy. Good recruit and good kid
Omar Leary - Good minutes to spell AJ?
Ryan Wright - I guess we got one okay year out of him? A few good games at least?

2009:
Willie Warren - Fantastic first year, abysmal second year. Headcase~
Ray Willis - Fan favorite that played about 6 mins/year and is now gone
Kyle Cannon - Who?
Orlando Allen - never plays
Juan Patillo - Flashes of brilliance, then runnoft
T.J. Franklin - Hasn't really played much at all...

2010:
Keith Gallon - Doughy. Lazy. Headcase. Maybe takes money, probably causes trouble, almost definitely a team cancer. Gone.
Tommy Mason-Griffin - No defense. Headcase. Team Cancer. Gone.
Steve Pledger - No D, couldn't find his shot. Still a freshman. At least he's not gone?
Andrew Fitzgerald - Played more later in the year and showed some potential. At least he isn't crazy, yet.
Kyle Hardrick - If he didn't see the court this year, he must really suck. Here's hoping he was a secret weapon, though.

Recruited: 20
Runnoft: 10

By year:
2007 - 1/4
2008 - 4/5
2009 - 2/6
2010 - 3/5

Personally, I'll give him mostly a pass on 2007. I'm not counting Blake from the 2008 class as being runnoft because who can blame a kid for being the #1 pick? Also, Omar and Ryan gradumacated, so only Cade is left.

Thoughts? I'm trying to find a silver lining. We have two HS kids coming in next year, and will probably pick up a metric ton of JUCOs that can't play or make their grades.

Sooner04
3/23/2010, 04:19 PM
You left Chris Early off the 2007 recruiting class. He was kicked off the team before the season even began.

...sooner
3/23/2010, 04:20 PM
You left Chris Early off the 2007 recruiting class. He was kicked off the team before the season even began.

why again? i forgot

NormanPride
3/23/2010, 04:22 PM
Fantastic. I couldn't find him on ESPN on SoonerStats, so he wasn't listed. That's 11/21 gone, then. I'm going to bet our attendance is at an all-time low next year, and Joe C will be very unhappy.

badger
3/23/2010, 04:25 PM
ATTN: Resident mens basketball experts

Is this recruiting "runnoft" issue just a problem here, or at all programs due to juco, one-and-done and more pro prospects than any other sport, except maybe soccer (overseas)?

starrca23
3/23/2010, 06:13 PM
Badger, I blame AAU.
Did you know while attending high school in Ohio that OJ Mayo and Bill Walker were playing for AAU teams in Texas and Miami. (Miami Tropics AAU was run by Frank Martin now at KSU.
How is that even possible? Anyway, if the kid doesn't like the coach they leave...hmmmm.

ndpruitt03
3/23/2010, 06:15 PM
Beau Gerber and TJ Franklin were/are walk ons. Gerber earned a scholarship this year.

It sounds like Orlando Allen and Kyle Hardrick may both transfer.

We may have 3 scholarship players returning next season from this season. Davis, Fitzgerald, and Pledger. Honore could get one by default along with whoever we recruit.

the_ouskull
3/23/2010, 06:38 PM
I was going to type a rambling bit, but I just can't get motivated to do that for these players; for this team, right now. All year long has been one horrible game after another, winning JUST enough to validate all of the bad behaviors that got picked up with no true Alpha Dog (sorry Willie) on the team to keep people in line.

And the fact that I'm including Capel in the "Alpha Dog" campaign says a bit, too. He didn't have any more control over this team than any of the players. Blake led this team the last two years, 'cause he was the best player, and the best player listened to his coach. What's Capel able to do next year? It's his sh*tstorm. Navigate it. That will determine where he coaches in '11-'12.

the_ouskull

Collier11
3/23/2010, 11:25 PM
Look at it this way, Capel undoubtedly was a part of these horrible recruiting mistakes...this gives him an automatic chance to basically turn over his roster and get the type of team he wants NOW

soonerfan28
3/24/2010, 09:19 AM
Not sure if that was sarcasm but wasn't this Orlando Allens last year?

...sooner
3/24/2010, 09:33 AM
Not sure if that was sarcasm but wasn't this Orlando Allens last year?

no he has one more year left.

NormanPride
3/24/2010, 09:40 AM
Beau Gerber and TJ Franklin were/are walk ons. Gerber earned a scholarship this year.

It sounds like Orlando Allen and Kyle Hardrick may both transfer.

We may have 3 scholarship players returning next season from this season. Davis, Fitzgerald, and Pledger. Honore could get one by default along with whoever we recruit.

Fantastic, and two of those got caught stealing from ****ing Sears. I mean, at least steal from someplace good.

tulsaoilerfan
3/24/2010, 09:45 AM
Remember just this time last year how excited we were by the fact we would have 3 Mickey D's AA's on our team? Be careful what you wish for

Bourbon St Sooner
3/24/2010, 09:58 AM
Hang on, Ray Willis is gone too? I can't keep up with all of rats jumping ship. This is an absolute disaster!

I'm still hanging on with Capel, but just barely. He needs to forget about these one and done d-bags.

OUmillenium
3/24/2010, 10:26 AM
In the last 20 years, McDs all americans = fail at OU, except for Blake Griffin

Ryan Humphrey = transfer

WW = fail

TMG = Fail

Tiny = FAIL

Sooner04
3/24/2010, 10:30 AM
Jeff Webster was a Burger Boy and that dude could fill it up.

Pigface1
3/24/2010, 10:55 AM
My deal with Capel is he was hired as a work in progress. What was he, 31 or so? I think Joe C hired him with the understanding that it would take him some time to grow, but with the hopes Capel would be here for a long time.

I think we need to give him a couple more years.

Makes me wonder how all the people feel that were ripping Kelvin all these years. If only they'd turned the text messaging off on his phone. lol

badger
3/24/2010, 11:06 AM
So, as long as we're cleaning house recruit-wise, is it time to clean house at the top, too?

I really, really like Capel and do not think it is time to sever ties. I don't think he'll make the same recruiting mistakes again, because of how embarrassing and annoying the whole transfer/go pro/TMZ sh!t has been.

So my vote is KEEP Capel. What's yours?

Collier11
3/24/2010, 12:06 PM
Fantastic, and two of those got caught stealing from ****ing Sears. I mean, at least steal from someplace good.

No crap, go to Dillards :D

NormanPride
3/24/2010, 12:11 PM
At this point, he's pretty much embarrassed us as much as he can. The only thing left is for us to actually commit violations as a school, rather than just the players. I'm pretty fed up with his ability to manage a program, and it's fairly obvious his ability to manage a team is suspect. I think he's an okay coach that has had a lot of crap hit all at once, but at the same time it's pretty much all on his desk. He recruited all these kids, and it's not like in football where you get 20+ a year. He knew all these guys coming in, and if he didn't see it coming then I've got to believe his ability to judge character is terrible.

Salt City Sooner
3/24/2010, 01:24 PM
No crap, go to Dillards :D
It was Dillard's. Wish granted, NP. :D

C&CDean
3/24/2010, 01:47 PM
Here's my take:

I'm sick of the thug/NBA wannabe gangsta nigga ballas we keep picking up. I'd like to see 5 guys on the court flying around on defense like crazed banshees and not a single ****ing neck/back/chest/leg tattoo on any of them.

fwsooner22
3/24/2010, 01:53 PM
Here's my take:

I'm sick of the thug/NBA wannabe gangsta nigga ballas we keep picking up. I'd like to see 5 guys on the court flying around on defense like crazed banshees and not a single ****ing neck/back/chest/leg tattoo on any of them.

^
WHAT HE SAID. Sign me up.

cheezyq
3/24/2010, 01:59 PM
^
WHAT HE SAID. Sign me up.

Ditto that.

...sooner
3/24/2010, 03:46 PM
Here's my take:

-BAHAHAHAHAHA! THATS HILARIOUS.

--on a serious note tho: with the one & done rule... good luck with that! WHYYY dont they get rid of it?

pappy
3/24/2010, 04:10 PM
I don't think stopping recruiting the mcdonald's AA's...we've just had bad luck with the ones we have landed. (except for blake) I mean...look at duke, north carolina, uconn, kentucky (now with caliparri) memphis (with caliparri) they all land mcdonald's AA's and they make it work. All those teams have veteran coaches that the players respect and Capel just needs to have a couple more good seasons and he will start getting more respect from players...but he also needs to try to get more in depth with his recruits on who they are as a person and not just a bball player.

Collier11
3/24/2010, 04:16 PM
CBB needs to go to the baseball rule, you either go pro out of HS or you stay 3 years. This one and done crap is a joke and certainly doesnt do the colleges any favors

badger
3/24/2010, 04:42 PM
CBB needs to go to the baseball rule, you either go pro out of HS or you stay 3 years. This one and done crap is a joke and certainly doesnt do the colleges any favors

Perhaps the NBA can expand the wait to two years? I mean, kids can go pro out of high school if they play overseas or (I think) in the D-League. The NBA is entirely within its rights to choose how old and experienced players have to be in order to play in their league, much like the NFL is.

Collier11
3/24/2010, 04:44 PM
well the NFLs argument is diff than NBAs

NormanPride
3/24/2010, 05:33 PM
Why? The NBA is just as physical.

badger
3/24/2010, 05:46 PM
what NP said. Did you see those pads that basketball players wear on their arms and legs now? very similar to what football players have used all along.

NormanPride
3/24/2010, 05:49 PM
Hell, Eddie used to run drills with the guys in pads so they'd learn to be more physical. How sad is that?