PDA

View Full Version : For those whose spouses want expensive gifts

Leroy Lizard
3/23/2010, 01:37 PM
Wave this article at them.

World's cleverest man turns down $1million prize after solving one of mathematics' greatest puzzles

By WILL STEWART
Last updated at 11:32 AM on 23rd March 2010

A Russian awarded $1million (£666,000) for solving one of the most intractable problems in mathematics said yesterday that he does not want the money.

Said to be the world's cleverest man, Dr Grigory Perelman, 44, lives as a recluse in a bare cockroach-infested flat in St Petersburg. He said through the closed door: 'I have all I want.'

The prize was given by the U.S. Clay Mathematics Institute for solving the Poincare Conjecture, which baffled mathematicians for a century. Dr Perelman posted his solution on the internet.

Four years ago, the maths genius failed to turn up to receive his prestigious Fields Medal from the International Mathematical Union for solving the problem.

At the time he stated: 'I'm not interested in money or fame. I don't want to be on display like an animal in a zoo.

'I'm not a hero of mathematics. I'm not even that successful, that is why I don't want to have everybody looking at me.'

Neighbour Vera Petrovna said: 'I was once in his flat and I was astounded. He only has a table, a stool and a bed with a dirty mattress which was left by previous owners - alcoholics who sold the flat to him.

'We are trying to get rid of cockroaches in our block, but they hide in his flat.'

It was in 2002 that Perelman, then a researcher at the Steklov Institute of Mathematics in St. Petersburg, began posting papers online suggesting he had solved the Poincare Conjecture, one of seven major mathematical puzzles for which the Clay Institute is offering $1 million each.

Rigorous tests proved he was correct.

The topological conundrum essentially states that any three-dimensional space without holes in it is equivalent to a stretched sphere.

The puzzle was more than 100 years old when Perelman solved it - and could help determine the shape of the universe.

After 2003 Perelman gave up his job at the Steklov Institute. Friends have been reported as saying he has resigned from mathematics altogether - finding the subject too painful to discuss.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1259863/Worlds-cleverest-man-turns-1million-prize-solving-mathematics-greatest-puzzles.html#ixzz0j1dTP9Hi

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/03/22/article-1259863-053D83590000044D-168_233x334.jpg

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 01:39 PM
*drool* uuuuuh whut?

Stitch Face
3/23/2010, 01:42 PM
Yermom turned down a million smackers??? :eek:

NormanPride
3/23/2010, 01:48 PM
when you already have the fastest car in existence, what else do you need?

C&CDean
3/23/2010, 01:53 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how waving this article in front of your spouse wanting a high-dollar gift accomplishes something. Let's her know there's a very weird dude out there? Let's her know that this dude is roach-infested?

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 01:55 PM
GD look at the size of those roaches over his eyes!

yeh dean, i was thinking the same thing.

Stitch Face
3/23/2010, 01:57 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how waving this article in front of your spouse wanting a high-dollar gift accomplishes something. Let's her know there's a very weird dude out there? Let's her know that this dude is roach-infested?

To convince her there are more important things in life than material possessions. Like math.

C&CDean
3/23/2010, 02:02 PM
To convince her there are more important things in life than material possessions. Like math.

C'mon, even bitches are smarter than that.

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 02:04 PM
there ARE more important things in life....like one of those ginches getting in that apartment and killing those fin roaches.

OULenexaman
3/23/2010, 02:04 PM

Oh.......well mine would never make the connection....

yermom
3/23/2010, 02:06 PM
Yermom turned down a million smackers??? :eek:

i would *not* turn down $1MM

when you already have the fastest car in existence, what else do you need?

and it's not that fast :D

i've heard of the Poincare Conjecture, and i almost understand it

C&CDean
3/23/2010, 02:07 PM
You would. Hell, he looks like your twin brother.

badger
3/23/2010, 02:25 PM

I dunno about the other chicks on SF.com, but knowing that there's roach-infested creepy dudes out there definitely makes me want to hug my non-roach infested, not-too-creepy spouse :D

Bourbon St Sooner
3/23/2010, 02:32 PM

Dude, I try to tell my wife she can have that big diamond ring or we can put the kid through college and she always goes for the ring. I don't think waving an article about a mad genious living in filth will convince her diamonds are meaningless.

Pricetag
3/23/2010, 02:40 PM
The Poincare Conjecture: So Easy a Caveman Can Do It.

yermom
3/23/2010, 02:45 PM
You would. Hell, he looks like your twin brother.

:mad:

yermom
3/23/2010, 02:47 PM
Dude, I try to tell my wife she can have that big diamond ring or we can put the kid through college and she always goes for the ring. I don't think waving an article about a mad genious living in filth will convince her diamonds are meaningless.

maybe the fact that diamonds are meaningless should convince her of that :D

http://www.halfsigma.com/2006/11/the_diamond_sca.html

soonerboy_odanorth
3/23/2010, 02:48 PM
Since we are talking wives and not a new couple in that lust stage...

When she says, "I want...", the proper response is, "... and I want a bl*w j*b", then you flap THAT in her face!

That way the balls always in her court.

oops... forgot an apostrophe there. Oh well.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/23/2010, 02:57 PM
Since we are talking wives and not a new couple in that lust stage...

When she says, "I want...", the proper response is, "... and I want a bl*w j*b", then you flap THAT in her face!

That way the balls always in her court.

oops... forgot an apostrophe there. Oh well.

Who is your divorce lawyer again?

Leroy Lizard
3/23/2010, 04:21 PM
The Poincare Conjecture: So Easy a Caveman Can Do It.

That works on so many levels. Truly brilliant.

Leroy Lizard
3/23/2010, 04:23 PM
He just wants to be left the **** alone. Is that so crazy?

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 04:26 PM
He just wants to be left the **** alone. Is that so crazy?

pssst. just asking. does he LOOK crazy?

Leroy Lizard
3/23/2010, 04:32 PM
No, just misunderstood.