PDA

View Full Version : Takeout Tipping

SicEmBaylor
3/22/2010, 10:16 PM
So, last night I was seriously craving some pancakes. I decide to order some carry out from IHOP, and I go to pick it up. This woman brings me my food and the total comes to 11.98. I hand her $15.00 and she hands me back $.02. So, I tell her "Mam, I think I gave you $15...." And she says, very rudely, "Well, most people tip when they order carry out!"

First of all, I don't consider myself cheap but I never tip when I order carry out. That just seems ridiculous. I tip well when I'm eating in, but tipping for handing me a sack with my food in it? **** no.

Second, it's MY decision whether to tip. She should have given me my money back and if I still wanted to tip her then I damned well would have done so and what amount I wanted.

Third, freaking $3.00 for handing me my food? Are you ****ing kidding me? At IHOP....for takeout?

Am I just a SOB and in the wrong, or was this woman way out of line for giving herself a 3.00 tip for a freaking takeout order? At IHOP no less.

Crucifax Autumn
3/22/2010, 10:17 PM
No, if she wanted a tip she shoulda been really friendly or at least took you in the back and blown you.

btk108
3/22/2010, 10:22 PM
what crux said....if they're nice, I'll tip a buck or two...but to expect it is wrong...to just take it is over the line....you should have called a manager. What, did she work for the Federal Government? Take your sh*t and just you expect you to smile?

Collier11
3/22/2010, 10:26 PM
Two things, it is my opinion as a past bartender/waiter while in college that you should tip for carryout, even if only a $1...often times the waiter/waitress has to take time away from their own tables to get your order ready for you.

Having said that, you never ask for or assume a tip, that is rediculous

btk108
3/22/2010, 10:27 PM
Two things, it is my opinion as a past bartender/waiter while in college that you should tip for carryout, even if only a $1...often times the waiter/waitress has to take time away from their own tables to get your order ready for you.

This....i'm likin your responses tonight, brother.

tulsaoilerfan
3/22/2010, 10:27 PM
Stuff like this can only happen to our buddy Sic Em

salth2o
3/22/2010, 10:29 PM
You should-a taken back the three bucks, throat punched her, and said "here is a tip...get you guard up".

SoonerInKCMO
3/22/2010, 10:30 PM
You paid $12 for pancakes?

btk108
3/22/2010, 10:30 PM
next time take off your gold and green so ppl don't take advantage of ya:D

olevetonahill
3/22/2010, 10:36 PM
Ya done the right thing Sic
I to give a buck or so for take out . but for the yainch to just keep yer money and only give ya back 02 cents
Id have got my bucks back and said ok heres yer tip and gave her the 2 pennies

1890MilesToNorman
3/22/2010, 10:39 PM
If they bring the food to my house they get a tip, ain't no way I tip if I go pick it up.

Sit down chow is a different story.

Crucifax Autumn
3/22/2010, 10:42 PM
It's all about the service and friendliness for me. If the takeout person is being really nice and professional and making sure I am getting what I ordered then they might get a little something extra. If they are just rushing me out to get to the next guy or to go home they can suck a fat one and swallow their tip.

SicEmBaylor
3/22/2010, 10:52 PM
You paid $12 for pancakes?
My sister wanted some as well.

btk108
3/22/2010, 10:59 PM
sureeeeeeeeeeeeee....blame it on yer "sister"

salth2o
3/22/2010, 11:00 PM

Dude...you should buy a box of Pioneer Complete pancake mix. For about the same amount of the yainches tip to herself, you can make pancakes for weeks.

Collier11
3/22/2010, 11:08 PM

you realize you can by the mix and the syrup for about a weeks worth of pancakes for about $5

Collier11
3/22/2010, 11:08 PM
Dude...you should buy a box of Pioneer Complete pancake mix. For about the same amount of the yainches tip to herself, you can make pancakes for weeks.

just saw your post, apparently we think alike

btk108
3/22/2010, 11:09 PM
dammit, ppl...he was trying to impress his sis by orderin take out pancakes....it's Baylor thing....leave him alone

proud gonzo
3/23/2010, 12:07 AM
dude, the pancake recipe i posted on your facebook would have cost a fraction of that and (unless you live a block from IHOP) also taken less time. LAZY BUM.

delhalew
3/23/2010, 12:12 AM
Wtf.not only do I think you are in the right, but I feel strongly about this. I lived off of tips for ten years. I have had EVERY job in food service. I was once a cook, waiter, counter person/manager, delivery driver and bar tender all at the same time. I had three jobs and made a sh!tload of money.
YOU HAVE TO EARN IT!!!
I tip crazy at the bar. Tip 50 to 75% and end up drinking $100 of booze for $20 plus 20 to 30 for tips.
Tip the bejesus out of a delivery driver and he'll bring you beer and smokes with your pizza.
Waiter/waitress gets 10 to 20% depending on service.
Take out...NEVER!
Hand me my food you worthless ****. The nerve of some people.
Oh and sometimes I tip a carhop if she doesn't spill coke all over me.

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2010, 12:12 AM
you realize you can by the mix and the syrup for about a weeks worth of pancakes for about $5

PG suggested yesterday that I make my own. Look, I don't cook. I don't have any desire to learn to cook. I'm too incompetent to use the microwave, and I am pretty sure I have no idea how to even use the range. Id rather just pick up the phone and have delicious pancakes ready to go.

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2010, 12:14 AM
Wtf.not only do I think you are in the right, but I feel strongly about this. I lived off of tips for ten years. I have had EVERY job in food service. I was once a cook, waiter, counter person/manager, delivery driver and bar tender all at the same time. I had three jobs and made a sh!tload of money.
YOU HAVE TO EARN IT!!!
I tip crazy at the bar. Tip 50 to 75% and end up drinking $100 of booze for $20 plus 20 to 30 for tips.
Tip the bejesus out of a delivery driver and he'll bring you beer and smokes with your pizza.
Waiter/waitress gets 10 to 20% depending on service.
Take out...NEVER!
Hand me my food you worthless ****. The nerve of some people.
Oh and sometimes I tip a carhop if she doesn't spill coke all over me.

This is my position. I try to tip well especially at places that I frequent. But a 3.00 self-given tip for carry out at IHOP? I think that takes nerves.

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2010, 12:15 AM
dude, the pancake recipe i posted on your facebook would have cost a fraction of that and (unless you live a block from IHOP) also taken less time. LAZY BUM.

It's laziness and incompetence. Mostly incompetence.

delhalew
3/23/2010, 12:22 AM
It's laziness and incompetence. Mostly incompetence.
That blows my mind. If you name it I can cook it. Hell if I left it up to my wife we'd never eat anything, but fast food or hamburger helper...she can use the **** out of a microwave.

proud gonzo
3/23/2010, 12:23 AM
PG suggested yesterday that I make my own. Look, I don't cook. I don't have any desire to learn to cook. I'm too incompetent to use the microwave, and I am pretty sure I have no idea how to even use the range. Id rather just pick up the phone and have delicious pancakes ready to go.

at risk of turning this into another "why sicem doesn't have a girlfriend" thread, do you know how big a plus it is when guys know how to cook? Seriously. It's awesome. Cooking is not that difficult. Especially pancakes. Dump all the ingredients in a bowl, mix them up. You know what pancakes look like, right? So you heat up a grill and pour pancake sized circles of batter. flip them over. When they look like pancakes, eat them. it's not that hard!

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2010, 12:32 AM
at risk of turning this into another "why sicem doesn't have a girlfriend" thread, do you know how big a plus it is when guys know how to cook? Seriously. It's awesome. Cooking is not that difficult. Especially pancakes. Dump all the ingredients in a bowl, mix them up. You know what pancakes look like, right? So you heat up a grill and pour pancake sized circles of batter. flip them over. When they look like pancakes, eat them. it's not that hard!

I don't own a bowl. I don't own a single cooking utensil. I do acknowledge that it's long time that I buy a few cooking supplies and start learning the basics.

Now, I can grill. I can grill some pretty damned good ****. I have these Hawaiian Burgers that are freaking amazing. I can grill shrimp, steaks, burgers, chicken, you name it. I love to grill.

Anyway, I have to get a girl to actually come into my home before I can cook for her. Baby steps PG....baby steps. :D

proud gonzo
3/23/2010, 12:36 AM
I don't own a bowl. I don't own a single cooking utensil. I do acknowledge that it's long time that I buy a few cooking supplies and start learning the basics.

Now, I can grill. I can grill some pretty damned good ****. I have these Hawaiian Burgers that are freaking amazing. I can grill shrimp, steaks, burgers, chicken, you name it. I love to grill.

Anyway, I have to get a girl to actually come into my home before I can cook for her. Baby steps PG....baby steps. :D

I call bull****. If you can grill, you can cook. If you have eating utensils, you have cooking utensils.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/23/2010, 12:36 AM
1. I've never contemplated takeout pancakes. It blows my mind

2. There's one place I frequent often for takeout - a Japanese restaurant. I tip 20%, which may be excessive for takeout, but they do backflips to please me, treating me like I'm an Emperor.

3. I never tipped takeout until I became middle-aged.

Crucifax Autumn
3/23/2010, 12:38 AM
So grill some damned pancakes and be done with it.

proud gonzo
3/23/2010, 12:41 AM
oh, and it isn't about getting a girl to come to your place. I haven't been to your place or delhalew's place (nor do I intend to) but I can already tell you that his cooking skills impress me, at least a heck of a lot more than yours. I haven't seen them, but at least he can say "I know how to cook." On the other hand, saying you have absolutely no idea how to cook and no desire to learn is unimpressive and a turnoff. It isn't about food. It shows laziness, a general lack of initiative, and contentment to let other people do things so that you don't have to--that includes dating chicks.

delhalew
3/23/2010, 12:43 AM

2. There's one place I frequent often for takeout - a Japanese restaurant. I tip 20%, which may be excessive for takeout, but they do backflips to please me, treating me like I'm an Emperor.

Right on. Like I said you have to earn it. If they have such a good attitude it makes you want to tip them, then everybody wins.

SteelClip49
3/23/2010, 12:44 AM
MiMi's Cafe pancakes rule over IHOP.

Crucifax Autumn
3/23/2010, 12:56 AM
But do they have Harvest Grain and Nut?

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2010, 01:19 AM
they do backflips to please me, treating me like I'm an Emperor.

Please don't bomb our naval bases.

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2010, 01:21 AM
oh, and it isn't about getting a girl to come to your place. I haven't been to your place or delhalew's place (nor do I intend to) but I can already tell you that his cooking skills impress me, at least a heck of a lot more than yours. I haven't seen them, but at least he can say "I know how to cook." On the other hand, saying you have absolutely no idea how to cook and no desire to learn is unimpressive and a turnoff. It isn't about food. It shows laziness, a general lack of initiative, and contentment to let other people do things so that you don't have to--that includes dating chicks.

I thought chicks would dig coming over to my place for the stimulating talk on subjects ranging from contemporary politics to constitutional theory and the War Between the States.

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2010, 01:22 AM
I'll make this pledge:

As soon as I get settled into my new place I'll try to make some pancakes on my own. I'm not promising to start from scratch, but I may give the Bisquick stuff a go to start with.

sooner59
3/23/2010, 01:48 AM
I normally leave a dollar or two for carry-out if they are nice. But if some chick said some **** like that to me, I would have told her I wanted every penny back. Then I would have asked to see her manager and explained to that person that she was rude and you should never just keep someones money assuming a tip. You give it back to them and if they want to tip you, they will hand some back with a smile.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/23/2010, 08:25 AM
I thought chicks would dig coming over to my place for the stimulating talk on subjects ranging from contemporary politics to constitutional theory and the War Between the States.

Napoleon Dynamite: Well, nobody's going to go out with *me*!

Pedro: Have you asked anybody yet?

Napoleon Dynamite: No, but who would? I don't even have any good skills.

Pedro: What do you mean?

Napoleon Dynamite: You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Napoleaon is right. It doesn't have to be cooking necessarily, but it's gotta be something.

Veritas
3/23/2010, 08:27 AM
I tip everyone in the food service industry, even the cooks if the food is particularly good. The service has to be horrendously awful for me to scale back a tip, and even then I don't drop much below 15%

My reasons are 1) Those few dollars extra are insignificant to me but highly significant to the people getting them and 2) you don't send any "message" by leaving a bad tip other than you're an *******. Even if the service was bad.

I spent years hustling drinks and hauling food, and it was some damn hard work and I took quit a lot of **** from people who treated me like I was a soulless robot. That was a long time ago but it's the best part of my day to be able to leave a massive tip for someone I can see really needs it. I remember how much it meant to me.

GrapevineSooner
3/23/2010, 08:45 AM

Some women will even teach you how to cook.

Best decision my wife ever made in our marriage because now, I love to cook her dinner. :)

GrapevineSooner
3/23/2010, 08:56 AM
And oh yeah, I try to tip whenever possible.

Even on carry out because they're still using elbow grease to get the food out to you.

And I also echo Veritas' statement. If I have a problem with the service, I'll mention it to the manager...and then I'll refuse their offer to comp the meal.

Because just like a low tip, a free meal does nothing to address the issue of bad service.

ADs_Agent
3/23/2010, 08:59 AM
I always tip as well. People are entitled to have a bad day, and unless the person is just blatantly being rude, I'll tip. Usually I'll even write "Good Job" or something on the receipt too. I don't know if wait staff appreciate that or not, but if you do a good job I let you know at least.

salth2o
3/23/2010, 09:06 AM
I'll make this pledge:

As soon as I get settled into my new place I'll try to make some pancakes on my own. I'm not promising to start from scratch, but I may give the Bisquick stuff a go to start with.

My 11 year old makes pancakes with Pioneer Complete Pancake Mix.

If you can pour water, stir with a spoon, pour batter, turn a knob, flip a pancake. You can do it!

SoonerAtKU
3/23/2010, 09:08 AM
I normally leave a dollar or two for takeout stuff, but only because I know they have to tip out and it goes to the whole place in most cases. There's been one time that I did something fairly bad, but I felt it was deserved. I went into one of my favorite places in Lawrence to eat, and the guy who sat/served me was just terrible and in an awful mood. Rude, didn't speak a word without us asking him questions, order was wrong, everything. I left that dude a penny.

He wasn't there anymore the next time I went in, so maybe that day was quittin' day.

C&CDean
3/23/2010, 09:25 AM
Do you know how much bad **** you're putting into your body when you eat every meal out? Enough salt to pickle a whale. Enough cholesterol to choke the chunnel. Enough carbs to make Twiggy fat.

And pancakes? Takeout? I didn't even know there was such a thing. Who the **** orders pancakes via takeout? Geez.

Also, PG is right. I do not cook (except meat on the grill/smoker) because I married a beautiful lady who loves to cook and believes it is her role in our marriage to cook. However, I do know how to cook. I was a single dad raising 3 hungry boys for several years so I picked up lots of mad cooking skills, and when I've killed elk or deer on opening day I have oftentimes become the camp bitch for the other guys. Not because I like to cook, but because if I don't, it's gonna be nothing but canned chili, crackers, sardines, and crap like that.

I do have to say though that I absolutely loathe cleaning up from cooking. My rule is if I'm the camp cooking bitch, y'all are the camp cleaning bitches. I'm messy as hell when I cook, and I don't do dishes.

C&CDean
3/23/2010, 09:28 AM
Oh yeah, you tip takeout. People who say they don't are cheap ****s. Is $1 gonna kill you? If so, you better quit eating out.

Witholding your change is a whole other deal though. When the bitch witholds the money you politely ask for it back and say "yes maam, I was going to tip you until you tried to steal my change. Now I'm going to have to ask to see the manager."

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 09:41 AM
so with all this being said crux, how much do you tip your fluffers?

btk108
3/23/2010, 10:29 AM
so with all this being said crux, how much do you tip your fluffers?

JLEW told him he didn't want a tip, he wanted the whole thing :eek:

OUMallen
3/23/2010, 10:36 AM
10% is appropriate. Unless there's a to-go counter like at Chili's, a server probably had to stop what they were doing for your order.

They should NEVER assume that though!

OUMallen
3/23/2010, 10:36 AM
Oh yeah, you tip takeout. People who say they don't are cheap ****s. Is $1 gonna kill you? If so, you better quit eating out.

Witholding your change is a whole other deal though. When the bitch witholds the money you politely ask for it back and say "yes maam, I was going to tip you until you tried to steal my change. Now I'm going to have to ask to see the manager."

/thread

olevetonahill
3/23/2010, 10:42 AM
Im with Dean on this (as usual :cool: )
I love to cook , I can cook better than most wimmens (unless they are Pros)
I dont do clean up tho. Also I prefer my own cooking to just about any thing i can order ;)

Veritas
3/23/2010, 11:15 AM
Also, with respect to tipping on Takeout:
Back in the day I was a bartender at Snuffers on Greenville and for a lot of my shifts I was in charge of takeout.

Here's what a takeout order involved:
1) Taking the order over the phone, reading it back, filling out the ticket, and submitting it to the kitchen.
2) Filling up to-go cups with the requested beverages.
3) Once the order was up, I had to duck out from the bar, retrieve the order, and verify it against the ticket.
4) When the customer got there, if the order wasn't ready, we offered water or served beverages if they ordered.
5) And of course we rang up the ticket.

Not that much different from what a server had to do if you came in and sat down. The difference is that we had to do all this while fielding calls from servers for drinks, answering phones, and the ****load of other stuff that bartenders were responsible for.

So there was some hustle required for takeout orders. I usually got around $2.00 per order, more from the frequent customers who got to know me. No tip from a couple of guys who worked at a bar down the street, but they gave me doubles and charged singles, so it worked out.

Oh, and with respect to the actions of the girl in the original post, that's bull**** the way she acted.

That said, I did confront a group of, um, "Canadians" that ran up a $100+ ticket and left my waitress about $0.75 in change. I explained that she had to pay a percentage of her ticket to the bar and with what they'd left her, she was actually going to lose money on their table. The got all Canadian on me and reported me to the manager, who wrote me up while telling me he understood.

After that I paid the hostesses $20 a shift to not seat "Canadians," old people, or families with kids in my sections.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/23/2010, 11:22 AM
GAWD DAMN CANADIANS

badger
3/23/2010, 11:33 AM
I find it really amusing that the chick handed you back two cents. I mean... wow. My guess is she was trying to short-change you and it wasn't about the tips at all. She was hoping you'd overlook the mathematics, take your "change" and leave while she pocketed the extra money. However, you being a poor college student means that you are not only counting your dollars, but your pennies too. We were all there, we understand.

This isn't about tipping on takeout, SicEm. This is about a chick that tried to rip you off. Call management or the owner of that iHop branch and explain what happened.

Pricetag
3/23/2010, 11:54 AM
I wish restaurants and bars would pay their employees a fair wage appropriate for their skill set. I leave the definition of said wage up to them. I would be willing to pay higher prices to the point that they force me away.

I just can't get on board with the idea that people who feel they can name their own salary expect extra money from me for simply fulfilling their job requirements.

soonerbrat
3/23/2010, 11:55 AM

takeout pancakes? every friday at my office - ihop. pancakes, sausage, eggs, bacon, ham, hash browns. every friday.

i only work every other friday though.

soonerbrat
3/23/2010, 11:56 AM
p.s. Sic'em, I agree with you, she shouldn't have presumed any tip at all, and then she shouldn't have been rude about it. and $3.00 is almost a 30% tip...WTF?

that's ridiculous...30% is an outstanding tip for awesome service. SERVICE.

badger
3/23/2010, 12:08 PM
I wish restaurants and bars would pay their employees a fair wage appropriate for their skill set. I leave the definition of said wage up to them. I would be willing to pay higher prices to the point that they force me away.

I just can't get on board with the idea that people who feel they can name their own salary expect extra money from me for simply fulfilling their job requirements.

NP is very passionate about this - he always tips at least 10 percent usually 20 (only 10 with bad service). My parents have always tipped as well, but I think it was usually 10-15 percent.

Agree that wait staff really get screwed in their jobs, especially now when everyone is holding onto their money tighter. Wait staff is expected to clear tables, clean carpets and bathrooms and have a smile glued to their face in addition to waiting tables for, like, $3 an hour.

NormanPride
3/23/2010, 12:11 PM
Yeah, that's something the manager needs to know about. That's not a tip she's asking for, that's her trying to steal $3.

soonerbrat
3/23/2010, 12:11 PM
NP is very passionate about this - he always tips at least 10 percent usually 20 (only 10 with bad service). My parents have always tipped as well, but I think it was usually 10-15 percent.

Agree that wait staff really get screwed in their jobs, especially now when everyone is holding onto their money tighter. Wait staff is expected to clear tables, clean carpets and bathrooms and have a smile glued to their face in addition to waiting tables for, like, $3 an hour.

i agree about this. I waited tables for a long time...but I also tried to be friendly and I didn't assume anything about a tip, ever. Never would I have just kept someone's change and told them they were supposed to tip me.

NormanPride
3/23/2010, 12:13 PM

Yeah, 20% is standard, and if they're terrible they get 10. But they've got to be gawdawful. Takeout gets a buck, standard, but we don't do that very often...

olevetonahill
3/23/2010, 12:18 PM
Ok Peeps I gots a question about Tipping

When and why did the standard go from 10 % to 15%
thats a 50% raise in the tip . Come if 10% was a good tip before why isnt it still good enough ?
I will tip 15 to 20% for Great service 10 % for mediocre service and a Nothing but as talk to the manager for Pizz poor service `1

OUMallen
3/23/2010, 12:45 PM
Ok Peeps I gots a question about Tipping

When and why did the standard go from 10 % to 15%
thats a 50% raise in the tip . Come if 10% was a good tip before why isnt it still good enough ?
I will tip 15 to 20% for Great service 10 % for mediocre service and a Nothing but as talk to the manager for Pizz poor service `1

Good question. I think restaurants simply pushed this long and hard enough and it became "normal." You know they didn't lower the price of a meal to make up for it.

badger
3/23/2010, 12:46 PM
I think it really depends on big your tab is. 10 percent might be more appropriate for a larger tab, 20 percent for a smaller one, because the poor waitress is making $3/hour regardless of how much your tab is.

Because I was curious about this issue, I have looked at blogs and angry wait staff rants online. Most freely speak about how international or minority guests don't tip well (attributed to the fact that tips are insults overseas, I've heard... not sure on minorities) and church crowds are the worst.

Probably the worst story of tipping I read was a single mother on food stamps getting what appeared to be a $20 tip from a church crowd table. She later discovered it was one of those little fake bills that had some religious tongue-in-cheek message. You know, something like "Disappointed? Maybe, but you won't be if you accept Christ today!"

Oh man, that lady must have bawled her eyes out... and then blogged about how angry she was online.

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2010, 12:52 PM
I always tip as well. People are entitled to have a bad day, and unless the person is just blatantly being rude, I'll tip. Usually I'll even write "Good Job" or something on the receipt too. I don't know if wait staff appreciate that or not, but if you do a good job I let you know at least.

If they're WAITING on me then I tip. There's no question here of leaving a tip. I almost always tip very well.

The question here is, should the woman (who I believe was the hostess not a waitress in any case) have given herself a 3 dollar tip without asking me and how much/should you tip when you order CARRY OUT?

If I were to start tipping for a damned carry out order then I might tip a dollar, but what do they do to deserve a tip? They aren't bringing me drink refills, they aren't coming by my table to see if I need anything, they're not hustling back and forth to get requested items for me...hell, the food was already at the front. She basically did nothing beyond take my money. At the most, she would have had to walk a few steps to the kitchen to grab the bag.

I refuse to believe there is any justification for someone giving themselves a 3.00 tip on a carry out order.

OUMallen
3/23/2010, 12:55 PM
If they're WAITING on me then I tip. There's no question here of leaving a tip. I almost always tip very well.

The question here is, should the woman (who I believe was the hostess not a waitress in any case) have given herself a 3 dollar tip without asking me and how much/should you tip when you order CARRY OUT?

If I were to start tipping for a damned carry out order then I might tip a dollar, but what do they do to deserve a tip? They aren't bringing me drink refills, they aren't coming by my table to see if I need anything, they're not hustling back and forth to get requested items for me...hell, the food was already at the front. She basically did nothing beyond take my money. At the most, she would have had to walk a few steps to the kitchen to grab the bag.

I refuse to believe there is any justification for someone giving themselves a 3.00 tip on a carry out order.

Never an excuse for trying to steal a tip. And at IHOP when there's someone running a register at the front and that's it, maybe a tip isn'tnecessary.

But I used to be a server at a place in Norman. Trust me, it's a pain in the butt to put together a take-out order. Maybe not 20% worth of a pain, but 10% is probably about right.

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2010, 12:55 PM
p.s. Sic'em, I agree with you, she shouldn't have presumed any tip at all, and then she shouldn't have been rude about it. and $3.00 is almost a 30% tip...WTF?

that's ridiculous...30% is an outstanding tip for awesome service. SERVICE.

100% right. There is no service involved. In fact, using Veritas' example, who is to say the person that took my order is the same person that brings the food? Usually the hostess gets the food and brings it to the front. Sometimes it's a waiter/waitress but who knows if they're the ones that physically picked up the phone.

I don't mind tipping for service. But there isn't any service here beyond handing me a bag and taking my money.

sooner_born_1960
3/23/2010, 12:57 PM
I've never even considered tipping for take out.

badger
3/23/2010, 01:04 PM
100% right. There is no service involved. In fact, using Veritas' example, who is to say the person that took my order is the same person that brings the food? Usually the hostess gets the food and brings it to the front. Sometimes it's a waiter/waitress but who knows if they're the ones that physically picked up the phone.

I don't mind tipping for service. But there isn't any service here beyond handing me a bag and taking my money.

Funny story from back in high school. We went to a Mexican food restaurant in a Spanish class field trip after watching flamenca (sp?) dancers. After the meal, all of us at the table pitched in a dollar and left. Realizing I forgot something, I went back to the table to see some random guy that I hadn't seen before take all of the tip money from our table. He didn't clear it, he did wash it or anything. He just slipped the money in his pocket them went to the back.

I sure hope that place was pooling tips. I saw him and a few other guys that were clearing tables eventually take tip money as soon as the people left.

Pricetag
3/23/2010, 01:17 PM
Good question. I think restaurants simply pushed this long and hard enough and it became "normal." You know they didn't lower the price of a meal to make up for it.
I've been told many a time what a standard tip is, and it is always a waiter or former waiter telling me. It's a conflict of interest that causes me to question the entire practice.

C&CDean
3/23/2010, 01:19 PM
So I guess I want to know if you just let her have the $3 or if you demanded your money back.

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 01:25 PM
So I guess I want to know if you just let her have the $3 or if you demanded your money back.

im sure he just stared at her chesticles and said "ok"

OUMallen
3/23/2010, 01:40 PM
I've been told many a time what a standard tip is, and it is always a waiter or former waiter telling me. It's a conflict of interest that causes me to question the entire practice.

I agree. The cost of food increases with the csot of living. The same %-age should be good.

Also, I've notcied the "suggested" tip is claculated after taxes are included.

Do you calculate tip on the meal before or after tax?

badger
3/23/2010, 01:41 PM

Depends on how good the service was :D

Tulsa_Fireman
3/23/2010, 01:43 PM
I leave nuggets of wisdom such as...

Don't eat yellow snow.

He who smelt it dealt it.

And the all-time best tip IN THE WORLD...

If she smokes, she pokes.

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2010, 01:50 PM

Well, I was taken aback when she said that. I think at first I just mumbled something like, "okay." And then she said, "Well, I'm sorry you can have your change back if you want." I felt like an *** at that point, but I shouldn't have so I just told her to keep it.

I shouldn't have but the entire thing caught me off-guard.

Collier11
3/23/2010, 01:53 PM
dammit SicEm, fu**in stick up for yourself

C&CDean
3/23/2010, 01:57 PM
Well, I was taken aback when she said that. I think at first I just mumbled something like, "okay." And then she said, "Well, I'm sorry you can have your change back if you want." I felt like an *** at that point, but I shouldn't have so I just told her to keep it.

OK, now that you've had an opportunity to think about it let me offer some advice. Go back to ihop. Check the chick out. Was she someone you would consider boinking (yeah, I know, stupid question)? So you go up and go "hey, remember me? I'm the guy that gave you the $3 tip for some pancakes. Wanna ****?"

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 01:57 PM

dude...really? you are seriously a parole violation away from having your 5 hole ravaged like a fat man on ribs. you know that right?

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2010, 02:00 PM
OK, now that you've had an opportunity to think about it let me offer some advice. Go back to ihop. Check the chick out. Was she someone you would consider boinking (yeah, I know, stupid question)? So you go up and go "hey, remember me? I'm the guy that gave you the $3 tip for some pancakes. Wanna ****?"

I'd say she was in her mid 40s and pretty over weight. I still would't totally rule her out.

If she were young and hot then I'd probably never have made an issue of it. :D

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 02:01 PM
you seriosuly need to do that(what dean said)....youll either get slapped which would casue you to posibbly own the resteraunt in which you could have all the pancakes you could sutff in your azz, you get your 3 dollars back or you get to roll around in the front seat of your miata and catch a STD from some chick with a dikk...wheres the down side?

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 02:02 PM
I'd say she was in her mid 40s and pretty over weight. I still would't totally rule her out.

If she were young and hot then I'd probably never have made an issue of it. :D

according to what i read, you never really DID make an issue of it.

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2010, 02:14 PM
according to what i read, you never really DID make an issue of it.

Well, not there I didn't. I should have.

Pricetag
3/23/2010, 02:20 PM
I agree. The cost of food increases with the csot of living. The same %-age should be good.

Also, I've notcied the "suggested" tip is claculated after taxes are included.

Before tax. No way should the tax rate affect the tip.

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2010, 02:24 PM
Before tax. No way should the tax rate affect the tip.

Agreed

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 02:31 PM
Well, not there I didn't.

soooooo....

that means you went home and played the skin flute to beat the band?!?!?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/23/2010, 02:39 PM
My niece spent the night at a friend's house last week. They made pancakes for breakfast.

They are 8 and 10 years old.

Veritas
3/23/2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah that's total BS, someone just assuming they have a right to take your money because they feel they need it more than you.

Or, you know, maybe that's the foundation of an entire political party's platform?

proud gonzo
3/23/2010, 08:33 PM
WRONG! You fail at life.

Some women will even teach you how to cook.

Best decision my wife ever made in our marriage because now, I love to cook her dinner. :)
This is very true. It makes us feel pretty good about ourselves that 1) we cook well enough that you want to learn from us, and 2) that we can teach you how to make something edible and not burn the house down in the process.

http://techbuddha.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/double-facepalm.jpg

SanJoaquinSooner
3/23/2010, 08:44 PM
PG is right, outside of being rich and famous, the easiest way to get laid is to cook a nice dinner for a babe.

And if you go the grilling route, at least include some grilled vegetables. Some women OD on too much protein.

proud gonzo
3/23/2010, 10:56 PM
You can make some pretty awesome meals on a grill. Hell, you can make some pretty awesome meals over an open fire while camping. Not that such a scenario applies to SicEm in any way. :rolleyes:

proud gonzo
3/23/2010, 11:02 PM
btw--my ex didn't know how to cook worth crap and was a vegetarian.

My fiance, however, cooks for me all the time (even when all we have is a camp site, fire wood, and a cast iron pan).

A Sooner in Texas
3/24/2010, 12:51 AM
Sic, buy yourself a griddle for your grill and cook the damn pancakes there. And women like men who can take care of themselves - including cooking their own food AND cleaning up - because it shows the men can take care of them. But of course, it's only fair for two people to share the cooking/cleaning up duties.

I tip on takeout. Hell, I tip at Sonic...but usually just a quarter. Those carhops have to run around in the heat, the cold, the rain, the whatever...they should get some sort of tip.

And you never tip on the tax. In fact, an easy way to get an approximation of how much you should tip is to double the tax on your tab. If your sales tax rate is 8.25 percent, then by doubling it, you'd obviously be tipping 16.50 percent, which is fair.

As to letting the IHOP bitch keep the $3...Sic, you're an easy mark, aren't you?

Pricetag
3/24/2010, 09:18 AM
Before tipping on carry out, take a close look at your receipt. There's a restaurant close to work that I'll take home every once in awhile, and they charge a fee for carry out.

Jello Biafra
3/24/2010, 09:30 AM
Sic, buy yourself a griddle for your grill and cook the damn pancakes there. And women like men who can take care of themselves - including cooking their own food AND cleaning up - because it shows the men can take care of them. But of course, it's only fair for two people to share the cooking/cleaning up duties.

I tip on takeout. Hell, I tip at Sonic...but usually just a quarter. Those carhops have to run around in the heat, the cold, the rain, the whatever...they should get some sort of tip.

And you never tip on the tax. In fact, an easy way to get an approximation of how much you should tip is to double the tax on your tab. If your sales tax rate is 8.25 percent, then by doubling it, you'd obviously be tipping 16.50 percent, which is fair.

As to letting the IHOP bitch keep the $3...Sic, you're an easy mark, aren't you?

sic should definately buy a girdle...

C&CDean
3/24/2010, 09:31 AM
A. But of course, it's only fair for two people to share the cooking/cleaning up duties.

B. Hell, I tip at Sonic...but usually just a quarter.

A. Wrong. It is fair if you both want to. I pick up my dishes and put them in the sink after eating, and sometimes put away the ketchup or butter or whatever, but I don't clean up after momma in the kitchen. I hate cleaning up after cooking and ain't gonna do it, and momma is just fine with that.

B. A quarter? Are you ****ing kidding me? Cheap much? There's a Sonic in Noble that has a drive-through. I always tip a buck because the girls have to take turns working the drive-through and aren't making tips serving customers at the car hop dealio. Sonic girls are just like waitresses. They don't get paid dick, and they have to run your food out to you in the weather, etc. Don't be such a tightwad. Also, a quarter for a tip is an insult. You're better off tipping nothing.

OUMallen
3/24/2010, 09:39 AM
A. Wrong. It is fair if you both want to. I pick up my dishes and put them in the sink after eating, and sometimes put away the ketchup or butter or whatever, but I don't clean up after momma in the kitchen. I hate cleaning up after cooking and ain't gonna do it, and momma is just fine with that.

B. A quarter? Are you ****ing kidding me? Cheap much? There's a Sonic in Noble that has a drive-through. I always tip a buck because the girls have to take turns working the drive-through and aren't making tips serving customers at the car hop dealio. Sonic girls are just like waitresses. They don't get paid dick, and they have to run your food out to you in the weather, etc. Don't be such a tightwad. Also, a quarter for a tip is an insult. You're better off tipping nothing.

Are we certain that Sonic carhops don't make normal minimum wage?

C&CDean
3/24/2010, 09:42 AM
Nope. I don't have a clue what a Sonic girl makes. But they're still delivering your food to you, making change, etc. A buck isn't asking too much.

OUMallen
3/24/2010, 09:46 AM
Nope. I don't have a clue what a Sonic girl makes. But they're still delivering your food to you, making change, etc. A buck isn't asking too much.

Slippery slope. I'm not giving a buck to every person I encounter that does something I'm already paying for and already makes normal minimum wage.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/24/2010, 09:49 AM
So, last night I was seriously craving some pancakes. I decide to order some carry out from IHOP, and I go to pick it up. This woman brings me my food and the total comes to 11.98. I hand her $15.00 and she hands me back $.02. So, I tell her "Mam, I think I gave you $15...." And she says, very rudely, "Well, most people tip when they order carry out!"

First of all, I don't consider myself cheap but I never tip when I order carry out. That just seems ridiculous. I tip well when I'm eating in, but tipping for handing me a sack with my food in it? **** no.

Second, it's MY decision whether to tip. She should have given me my money back and if I still wanted to tip her then I damned well would have done so and what amount I wanted.

Third, freaking $3.00 for handing me my food? Are you ****ing kidding me? At IHOP....for takeout?

Am I just a SOB and in the wrong, or was this woman way out of line for giving herself a 3.00 tip for a freaking takeout order? At IHOP no less.

You're right, she was rude. If I was thinking of leaving a tip before that, I would have chnaged my mind and left Zero.

NormanPride
3/24/2010, 09:56 AM
I bet I could walk up to SicEm, straight clock him in the face, get away with it if I acted indignant enough that he was angry. Then I could do it again.

C&CDean
3/24/2010, 09:58 AM
I bet I could walk up to SicEm, straight clock him in the face, get away with it if I acted indignant enough that he was angry. Then I could do it again.

This is Badger logged on as NP, right?

badger
3/24/2010, 10:38 AM
This is Badger logged on as NP, right?

NO! :mad:

Pricetag
3/24/2010, 11:18 AM
Slippery slope. I'm not giving a buck to every person I encounter that does something I'm already paying for and already makes normal minimum wage.
Yep. The more people do, the more people will stick their hand out. It seems like every place has a tip jar now a days.

Crucifax Autumn
3/24/2010, 12:13 PM
Good points here...Why should we tip those high paid minimum wage bitches anyway??????? If she can't live on 200 bucks a week she oughtta get a second minimum wage job!

This place amazes me sometimes.

GKeeper316
3/24/2010, 12:17 PM

and, tho this is probably not the case at ihop, but is at other full service restaurants like chile's or applebee's, the server that rang up your food has to pay a tipout for doing so. i used to go round and round with my bosses back in the day when they would hand me a call in order, make me ring it up and then charge me a fee for doing so.

i generally give a buck or 2 for carry-out, just because i know how much bull**** being a waiter really is.

GKeeper316
3/24/2010, 12:19 PM
Good points here...Why should we tip those high paid minimum wage bitches anyway??????? If she can't live on 200 bucks a week she oughtta get a second minimum wage job!

less than minimum wage... tip credit employees make $2.13 an hour, and have been excluded from mandatory wage increases since 1976.

OUMallen
3/24/2010, 12:29 PM

You go give away your money all you want. I'll keep mine. I tip well for waitstaff. I don't tip random people.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/24/2010, 12:45 PM

A tip is not deserved or expected, it is earned. I don't care what the wage policy is at a location is.

badger
3/24/2010, 12:52 PM
i used to go round and round with my bosses back in the day when they would hand me a call in order, make me ring it up and then charge me a fee for doing so.

type of crap should be illegal. i never did wait staff but i did do cash register crap. co-workers that were stuck there year-round and not just during the summer would do the silliest things to get out of the menial less-desired jobs. My guess is with your carry-out, all of your fellow wait staffers would suddenly be on bathroom breaks, smoke breaks, or get the eff away from the phone breaks.

Pricetag
3/24/2010, 01:02 PM

I got by just fine on the amount of money I made as a minimum wage earner many years ago.

I also knew pretty quickly that I didn't want to work that job the rest of my life. Those jobs are supposed to suck, and they're supposed to pay crap. Very few of us are able to avoid working them. I did my time, and everyone else can, too. They don't need any extra help from me.

C&CDean
3/24/2010, 01:15 PM
I wonder how many of the non-tippers are liberals? Whatever happened to helping your fellow man out? WWJD? and all that business? I guess you guys would rather let the government take all your money and dole it out to truly worthless POS people rather than you pull an extra buck or two out and help out somebody who is at least working and trying to make their own way.

OUMallen
3/24/2010, 01:35 PM
I wonder how many of the non-tippers are liberals? Whatever happened to helping your fellow man out? WWJD? and all that business? I guess you guys would rather let the government take all your money and dole it out to truly worthless POS people rather than you pull an extra buck or two out and help out somebody who is at least working and trying to make their own way.

Who on the thread said they never tip?

Pricetag
3/24/2010, 01:47 PM
About the only comparison I can make between this and politics is that they both tend to be done they way they are because that's the way they've always been done.

Pogue Mahone
3/24/2010, 02:05 PM

I'm more liberal than 95 percent of this board, and I think I tip pretty well, 20 percent standard and more in the right circumstances. That's from respecting the work and effort of others.

And I live in a house where phrases like "vote with your wallet" are uttered all the time.

badger
3/24/2010, 03:03 PM
Deano, are you trying to make this fun little SicEm thread into another politics thread? :(

C&CDean
3/24/2010, 03:06 PM
Moi? I am cut to the quick.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/24/2010, 03:16 PM
I'm a lib and I tip 20%.

C&CDean
3/24/2010, 03:17 PM
Heh. You're still a lib Holley?

Jello Biafra
3/24/2010, 03:18 PM
I'm a lib and I tip 20%.

god bless you...get back in that window and bring me my plate of flapjacks.

SoonerStormchaser
3/24/2010, 03:18 PM
Why in the hell do my threads stop after two pages and SicEm's lame adventures get out to six pages?

Jeez, I need to start thinking of more lame things to incorporate into my life...I'm becoming too normal!

Collier11
3/24/2010, 03:19 PM
just let 6 toothed meth heads with an attitude at some lame azzed restaurant belittle you and you will get what you want :D

olevetonahill
3/24/2010, 03:21 PM
Should these folks have considered a Tip ?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100324/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_call_ahead_robbery;_ylt=AhDS5ErIaZ4DqEQwQ9V hsNPtiBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTJxcHU3ZGhsBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTA wMzI0L3VzX29kZF9jYWxsX2FoZWFkX3JvYmJlcnkEY3BvcwMxB HBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA3BvbGljZXJvYmJ lcg--

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/25/2010, 05:07 PM
How many of you like to pay just the tip?

Crucifax Autumn
3/25/2010, 05:08 PM
Why in the hell do my threads stop after two pages and SicEm's lame adventures get out to six pages?

Jeez, I need to start thinking of more lame things to incorporate into my life...I'm becoming too normal!

You always forget to tip the contibutors. :P